A question about L.A Noire for the PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

G4V1NF3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 G4V1NF3R
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

I know L.A Noire had some sort of technical problem for the PS3 when it released. A couple weeks ago, I was playing Dead Island and had also been playing L.A Noire. I don't blame the game, my Playstation was five years old, but who knows.

Anyway, here's the q:

I recently got a 320gb slim, I loved L.A Noire to death but I'm wondering if they did completely fix those overheating issues? I just got my new PS3 and I really don't want any problems with it. Thanks guys.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

I've played it on a 4 year-old 40 GB fat with no problems, so I'm assuming yes.

G4V1NF3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 G4V1NF3R
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

I've played it on a 4 year-old 40 GB fat with no problems, so I'm assuming yes.

worlock77
I forgot to mention that Playstation did YLOD.
jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
I played L.A. Noire on the old fat 80 gig with no problems, and I even played through all the DLC.
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

I don't think there were any technical issues with L.A. Noire. It ran fine from day 1, and if there were patches I don't think they changed anything major at all. Because there was nothing to fix.

If you are asking if there is a connection to L.A. Noire and YLOD, highly unlikely. People were trying to say the same thing about Final Fantasy XIII and blame it for YLOD, and I highly doubt that too. Most likely just coincidence, that some people's PS3's were "on the way out" and just happen to die while playing a popular game for many hours. So a handful of people make a post that "Final Fantaxy XIII killed my PS3", or "L.A. Noire killed my PS3" and all of a sudden it's the game's fault. Probably also some deliroius XBOX fans trying to convince people to buy the 360 version as well. If I had a brand-new slim PS3 I wouldn't worry about it at all, just play the game.

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts
like 2chalupes said, highly unlikely. i played L.A. noir on my 60gb that i have since launch, and bought the game on day one, played and beat it twice before the patch was out and never had any issues.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Though the game does require a lot of processing, if you have proper air flow around your machine, and you actually take care of it i.e. Clean the ports with a vacuum regularly, you should have no issues whatsoever. People who have overheating issues are 90% of the time to blame for the condition. If you elevate the console at least one inch (by using DVD cases, or similar spacers), so that there is a good amount of the bottom surface exposed to airflow as well as top & sides, and you make sure that it gets cleared of any particulate build-up (pet hair, dust, the odd tree limb), then your machine will be fine. Just put the spacers under the outside edge of the machine so that there's a "tunnel" under it. The machine has a lot of the heat syncs near the bottom of the chassis, so if you allow that bottom surface to keep cool, the machine will displace more of the heat build-up properly.

If you're really concerned, go get a $5 desk fan, and let it blow over the console while playing processor hogs like "LA Noire". But with elevation, my console never really got warm while I played the game (I did a lot of testing while playing it, due to people complaining about how it made their machine over-heat).

I NEVER turn my PS3 off (unless I'm leaving town for a month or whatever and I just don't want to be incredibly environmentally unfriendly), it's been running pretty much 24/7/365 since I bought it, always online (I don't have television, so Netflix is my one & only video channel). It never even gets warm.

I leave it on like that because there is a theory in my business which says solid-state electronics "wear out" due to the components heating up then cooling down, then heating up again, which causes the layers of things like capacitors, diodes, etc., to eventually pull apart.

Keeping the device at a constant temp causes less in the way of compression or rarefaction in the layers of said electronic parts.

More reading on the subject of how things are made:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_%28electronics%29

I don't say that this is hard fact and the ONLY way to treat your stuff, but it has certainly worked for me with a lot of computers, game consoles, and other electronics over the years.

Air flow is the key to a long life, whether you leave a machine on like I do or you turn it on and off. I advise vacuuming as apposed to blowing it out with compressed air, because compressed air often just blows the particulate deeper into the machine where-as a vacuum draws it back out the way it got in.

Good Health, Gamers!

:)

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Though the game does require a lot of processing, if you have proper air flow around your machine, and you actually take care of it i.e. Clean the ports with a vacuum regularly, you should have no issues whatsoever. People who have overheating issues are 90% of the time to blame for the condition. If you elevate the console at least one inch (by using DVD cases, or similar spacers), so that there is a good amount of the bottom surface exposed to airflow as well as top & sides, and you make sure that it gets cleared of any particulate build-up (pet hair, dust, the odd tree limb), then your machine will be fine. Just put the spacers under the outside edge of the machine so that there's a "tunnel" under it. The machine has a lot of the heat syncs near the bottom of the chassis, so if you allow that bottom surface to keep cool, the machine will displace more of the heat build-up properly.

If you're really concerned, go get a $5 desk fan, and let it blow over the console while playing processor hogs like "LA Noire". But with elevation, my console never really got warm while I played the game (I did a lot of testing while playing it, due to people complaining about how it made their machine over-heat).

I NEVER turn my PS3 off (unless I'm leaving town for a month or whatever and I just don't want to be incredibly environmentally unfriendly), it's been running pretty much 24/7/365 since I bought it, always online (I don't have television, so Netflix is my one & only video channel). It never even gets warm.

I leave it on like that because there is a theory in my business which says solid-state electronics "wear out" due to the components heating up then cooling down, then heating up again, which causes the layers of things like capacitors, diodes, etc., to eventually pull apart.

Keeping the device at a constant temp causes less in the way of compression or rarefaction in the layers of said electronic parts.

More reading on the subject of how things are made:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_%28electronics%29

I don't say that this is hard fact and the ONLY way to treat your stuff, but it has certainly worked for me with a lot of computers, game consoles, and other electronics over the years.

Air flow is the key to a long life, whether you leave a machine on like I do or you turn it on and off. I advise vacuuming as apposed to blowing it out with compressed air, because compressed air often just blows the particulate deeper into the machine where-as a vacuum draws it back out the way it got in.

Good Health, Gamers!

:)

MonkeySpot

While all that's good advice for long term care (maybe some of it is a bit overkill). He doesn't need to do anything special at all to play L.A. Noire. The game will not explode his PS3 LOL.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

I apologize if my post wasn't welcome.

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#10 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts

I don't think there were any technical issues with L.A. Noire. It ran fine from day 1, and if there were patches I don't think they changed anything major at all. Because there was nothing to fix.

If you are asking if there is a connection to L.A. Noire and YLOD, highly unlikely. People were trying to say the same thing about Final Fantasy XIII and blame it for YLOD, and I highly doubt that too. Most likely just coincidence, that some people's PS3's were "on the way out" and just happen to die while playing a popular game for many hours. So a handful of people make a post that "Final Fantaxy XIII killed my PS3", or "L.A. Noire killed my PS3" and all of a sudden it's the game's fault. Probably also some deliroius XBOX fans trying to convince people to buy the 360 version as well. If I had a brand-new slim PS3 I wouldn't worry about it at all, just play the game.

2Chalupas
No problems for me too
Avatar image for doolindesperado
doolindesperado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 doolindesperado
Member since 2004 • 296 Posts

The game ran perfectly fine for me. I had no issues.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#12 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
I don't remember having problems with the game, maybe a small glitch or two, but nothing memorable. I wouldn't worry about it, go for it.