A disturbing trend of me losing my internet connection on my PS3 during gameplay

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shadowhawk2606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Shadowhawk2606
Member since 2006 • 481 Posts

I've been noticing a disturbing trend happening when I'm playing online on my PS3. That trend being, me at some point during me playing online losing my internet connection. It's getting pretty frustrating, I'm hoping it's something as simple as several people within the area using the internet at the same time. Even then though, wouldn't that only slow down the internet, and not disconnect it all together. I should also mention that my PS3 is connected via wifi, I don't know if that may have something to do with it or not. Although I've heard from some people that the wifi in the PS3 isn't all that great quality wise. Any help you guy's can provide me I'd greatly appreciate it.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

It's most likely your router. And if you don't have a router but one of those modem/router in one things, then that's your problem. I recommend using this router, because it's basically bulletproof, extremely reliable and can support 3rd party firmware turning a $50 dollar router into a $300 dollar one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-124-190

Anyway, I have AT&T DSL and used to have a 2wire modem/router (bought from them). Modem died last month after 8 years of use. Now I have a standalone DLC modem and that Router, and the difference is night and day. Had a 100% increase in speed on the PS3, and have no disconnects. Where as the 2wire would always disconnect when the phone rang, (due to my cordless using the same frequency as the WiFi). The modem I got was a Netgear brand from Best Buy. I don't recommend the modem for the single reason that it gets pretty hot. Netgear modem was extemely easy to set up. Router was a bit harder.

Modem I bought is this, but don't like the way it heats up; hopefully it'll never catch on fire and burn down my house... but then again I'm insured for Fire: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+-+Broadband+ADSL2%2B+Modem/3219089.p?id=1218386645750&skuId=3219089&st=dsl%20modem%20netgear&cp=1&lp=1

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

In the PS3's settings, make sure that media sharing (or something similiar to that) is turned off. A few days after I got mine I had the same problem, turned that setting off and haven't had it since.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

It's most likely your router. And if you don't have a router but one of those modem/router in one things, then that's your problem. I recommend using this router, because it's basically bulletproof, extremely reliable and can support 3rd party firmware turning a $50 dollar router into a $300 dollar one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-124-190

Anyway, I have AT&T DSL and used to have a 2wire modem/router (bought from them). Modem died last month after 8 years of use. Now I have a standalone DLC modem and that Router, and the difference is night and day. Had a 100% increase in speed on the PS3, and have no disconnects. Where as the 2wire would always disconnect when the phone rang, (due to my cordless using the same frequency as the WiFi). The modem I got was a Netgear brand from Best Buy. I don't recommend the modem for the single reason that it gets pretty hot. Netgear modem was extemely easy to set up. Router was a bit harder.

Modem I bought is this, but don't like the way it heats up; hopefully it'll never catch on fire and burn down my house... but then again I'm insured for Fire: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+-+Broadband+ADSL2%2B+Modem/3219089.p?id=1218386645750&skuId=3219089&st=dsl%20modem%20netgear&cp=1&lp=1

Threesixtyci
only problem with the router from a third party is the ip doesn't provide support for it....so if it does drop and you are unfamiliar with fixing networks or anything related to the computer, it gets pretty frustrating
Shadowhawk2606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Shadowhawk2606
Member since 2006 • 481 Posts

My router isn't even 6 months old this is the model I have http://www.walmart.com/ip/Netgear-N600-Wireless-Dual-Band-Router/15539745. I've had it for maybe 4 or 5 months and haven't had any issues up until a few weeks ago. I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's my modem, I've had problems with modems in the past. The last modem I had wasn't even a year old and started failing on me, causing it to be replaced with the one I currently have. It's a cable modem provided by my cable provider Time Warner.

doesntcare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 doesntcare
Member since 2007 • 1219 Posts

I have been having a similiar issue the last 2 weeks or so. Telling me i have been signed out of PSN and disconnected for EA server. Battlefield 3. Now today when it happened and i signed back in, it seemed to be EA side of the network since all matches were dead :|

Edit: my router http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/netgear-wndr3700-rangemax-dual/4505-3319_7-33485574.html#!

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

only problem with the router from a third party is the ip doesn't provide support for it....so if it does drop and you are unfamiliar with fixing networks or anything related to the computer, it gets pretty frustratingjsmoke03
You don't need a router to connect to the internet if, remote IP diagnostic is your only worry. Just connect your PC directly to the modem.... and IP support would have nothing to say about it.

My router isn't even 6 months old this is the model I have http://www.walmart.com/ip/Netgear-N600-Wireless-Dual-Band-Router/15539745. I've had it for maybe 4 or 5 months and haven't had any issues up until a few weeks ago. I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's my modem, I've had problems with modems in the past. The last modem I had wasn't even a year old and started failing on me, causing it to be replaced with the one I currently have. It's a cable modem provided by my cable provider Time Warner.

Shadowhawk2606

Well, you can try connecting your PC or PS3 directly to the modem and see if the problems are still there. If they aren't, then it's not the modem.

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts

In the PS3's settings, make sure that media sharing (or something similiar to that) is turned off. A few days after I got mine I had the same problem, turned that setting off and haven't had it since.

Legendaryscmt
TC did you bother to do what legendary said?? because this worked for me when i was having the same problem a few years back