80GB PS3 NOT FULLY Backwards Compatible?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

R0SSMATHIS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 R0SSMATHIS
Member since 2007 • 452 Posts
What games are backwards comptible? I saw on cnet.com that is says Yes [software support for many PS2 games]. But are there any games it will not play? Would it play the entire MGS colleciton?
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
I'm sure the PlayStation website would have a full list.
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
In the real world even the 20 or 60 gig systems 100% BC support for PS2 games although it gets better over time. As for the 80 gig the support is getting very close to these SKU's and it get's better in time.
RotaryRX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 RotaryRX7
Member since 2003 • 7184 Posts

In the real world even the 20 or 60 gig systems 100% BC support for PS2 games although it gets better over time. As for the 80 gig the support is getting very close to these SKU's and it get's better in time.jimm895

I'm not really sure what you mean...

But yeah, the 80 gig is only software BC, so there's not an actual PS2 chipset in the PS3, like with the 20 or 60 gig. You'll be able to play many titles, just not as close to 100% of the titles as the 20/60 gigs - which can't play EVERY game either.

I think thats what jimm895 was trying to say?

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts

[QUOTE="jimm895"]In the real world even the 20 or 60 gig systems 100% BC support for PS2 games although it gets better over time. As for the 80 gig the support is getting very close to these SKU's and it get's better in time.RotaryRX7

I'm not really sure what you mean...

But yeah, the 80 gig is only software BC, so there's not an actual PS2 chipset in the PS3, like with the 20 or 60 gig. You'll be able to play many titles, just not as close to 100% of the titles as the 20/60 gigs - which can't play EVERY game either.

Exactly sorry had several things going on here while I was typing. Man I was dumb on that one after rereading the post that you pointed out :? .

jt4mtb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jt4mtb
Member since 2003 • 2352 Posts

RotaryRX7

Time to correct this again: the 80GB are not only software BC. They still have the PS2's GPU integrated in it's chipset. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3#Retail_configurations

"Like the South Korean and European models, the North American 80 GB model also excludes the PlayStation 2 "Emotion Engine" CPU chip.[55] However, it still keeps the "Graphics Synthesizer" GPU.[56] Due to emulation of the "Emotion Engine", the level of compatibility was reduced"

As far as the TC's question, he's looking for a list of what games will work on 80GBs. I don't think there's a list of what does work, but I think there's a list of what doesn't work. Give me some time to look around.

Edit: Found something you can check. Not sure if you are in the US or Europe, so I'll list both:

US http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus; This one isn't actually a list. You have to type in a name of a game and check if there are any issues.

EU http://faq.eu.playstation.com/bc/; This one is a list that is sorted by alphabetical order.

djxaquaxblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 djxaquaxblue
Member since 2004 • 2539 Posts
None of the PS3's are fully backwards compatable but the 60GB version is better because pretty much all of the games except a slight few work on them. Most like the games your guna play your PS3 will play them anyways.
socomsniper226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 socomsniper226
Member since 2008 • 82 Posts
I have a 60gb, so I have no idea, but if it is backwards compatible I'll sell my 60gb.
StargamerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 StargamerX
Member since 2006 • 1303 Posts
What I want to know is why it takes Sony so long to expand the compatible titles, I mean most of my PS2 games are said to freeze at a specific point during gameplay. Isn't that kind of important to fix? (Talking about 80GB)
bubblebuss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bubblebuss
Member since 2006 • 42 Posts

Look at the model number. There's an 80gb model that isn't compatible. The one I have.....

You can check the playstation website and it has everything about it under support.

http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/playstation.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=232&p_sid=NFbUOirj

bukkookkub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 bukkookkub
Member since 2006 • 933 Posts
This might be a long shot question, but does anyone know of the games that don't work on the 80, but do work on the 60?
Puscifer_No1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Puscifer_No1
Member since 2006 • 2769 Posts
What games are backwards comptible? I saw on cnet.com that is says Yes [software support for many PS2 games]. But are there any games it will not play? Would it play the entire MGS colleciton?R0SSMATHIS
Yes the MGS collection is compatible. All of my PS2 games are :)