720p 20 inch for PS3, any suggestions?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

espoac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 espoac
Member since 2005 • 4342 Posts
I'm looking for a good small HDTV to display my PS3 on in my bedroom. I say 720p because I can't really notice the difference on TVs smaller than about 30 inches between 1080p and 720p. I'd like something at or smaller than 21 inches. Should I go with a TV or a PC monitor? Thanks!
Liquid-Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Liquid-Prince
Member since 2007 • 2277 Posts
Whats your budget?
espoac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 espoac
Whats your budget?Liquid-Prince
I'm not exactly sure but I don't see such a small 720p set reasonably going for anything more than $500. And also I don't want one of those stupid built-in DVD players.
LeDavester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LeDavester
Member since 2007 • 271 Posts
it's not worth the money man, you should save up for 32' or higher.
Liquid-Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Liquid-Prince

[QUOTE="Liquid-Prince"]Whats your budget?espoac
I'm not exactly sure but I don't see such a small 720p set reasonably going for anything more than $500. And also I don't want one of those stupid built-in DVD players.

Well I was going to say that a 32' 720P Sharp Aquos in walmart was $987, so maybe you'd want to get that?

espoac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 espoac
it's not worth the money man, you should save up for 32' or higher.LeDavester
Really you think so? I could always set my PS3 up in my living room but then what will I do about those late-night PS3 cravings?
espoac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 espoac

[QUOTE="espoac"][QUOTE="Liquid-Prince"]Whats your budget?Liquid-Prince

Well I was going to say that a 32' 720P Sharp Aquos in walmart was $987, so maybe you'd want to get that?

I think that'd be too big when I'm sitting maybe 5 feet from the screen.
Liquid-Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Liquid-Prince
[QUOTE="Liquid-Prince"]

[QUOTE="espoac"][QUOTE="Liquid-Prince"]Whats your budget?espoac

It's never too big :D
etbny22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 etbny22
Member since 2005 • 1697 Posts
i recently just purchased a 720p LG LCD TV from circuit city for $400(on sale)...the original price is around $460 i believe....works great.
TimothyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TimothyB
Member since 2003 • 6564 Posts
[QUOTE="Liquid-Prince"]

[QUOTE="espoac"][QUOTE="Liquid-Prince"]Whats your budget?espoac

You're talking HD man, you can sit 3 feet in front of a 32incher and looks good (2 feet you might see screen door effect). If 1080p then even closer (people use 37inches as PC monitors at 1080p). I mean do you see yourself sitting 3 feet from your PC monitor when playing a PC game? No, you can sit close to a PC monitor because of the resolution, and a 32inch LCD has often 1366*768 resolution, 3 feet is fine. If you got a 20 incher, you better be sitting within 2 feet to make use of all that detail.

Now if you really want 20 inches, then the best bet is a 20.1inch to 22inch PC LCD widescreen monitor for $200-$275. You have to make sure it's HDCP to work with a HDMI to DVI adapter. Also, PC screens are 16:10, while HD is 16:9, so most cheap PC screens don't have a image setting to add bars to the top and bottom, but instead distort the image slightly up and down to fill it. You'd have to get into the $325 range for a feature like that to keep the 16:9 shape with bars. Then you might as well find a deal for $500-$600 for a 32incher. Most 20inch Widescreen HDTVS are also just overpriced modified PC monitors as HDTVs and have the same 16:10 problem, but they still label 16:9 even when the resolution in specs are 16:10

WongB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WongB
Member since 2004 • 1701 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a 32" 1080p and setting it right on my desk. Its going to be like going to the IMAX theater, but being home!
Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Da_lil_PimP
Member since 2006 • 4241 Posts

[QUOTE="espoac"][QUOTE="Liquid-Prince"]Whats your budget?Liquid-Prince

I got the same t.v but it does 1080p in 32" (may I add that this was the only 1080p 32" t.v that I could find) and it cost $1300.Buy from Best Buy too because if you buy cables with the t.v you get a little bit of a discount. Great t.v Money well spent

TimothyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TimothyB
[QUOTE="Liquid-Prince"]

[QUOTE="espoac"][QUOTE="Liquid-Prince"]Whats your budget?Da_lil_PimP

I got the same t.v but it does 1080p in 32" (may I add that this was the only 1080p 32" t.v that I could find) and it cost $1300.Buy from Best Buy too because if you buy cables with the t.v you get a little bit of a discount. Great t.v Money well spent

But wouldn't the prices of the BBuy cables be horribly overpriced? They'd try and sell you $100 HDMI cables which we all know is pointless. Better to work into a bundle discount with a extra receiver or gaming console.

Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Da_lil_PimP
Member since 2006 • 4241 Posts
[QUOTE="Da_lil_PimP"][QUOTE="Liquid-Prince"]

[QUOTE="espoac"][QUOTE="Liquid-Prince"]Whats your budget?TimothyB

But wouldn't the prices of the BBuy cables be horribly overpriced? They'd try and sell you $100 HDMI cables which we all know is pointless. Better to work into a bundle discount with a extra receiver or gaming console.

Well I did buy a $100 cable but when we took it to the till, they gave us $20 off and with all the other stuff we bought, I saved about $100

TimothyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TimothyB
[QUOTE="TimothyB"][QUOTE="Da_lil_PimP"][QUOTE="Liquid-Prince"]

Well I did buy a $100 cable but when we took it to the till, they gave us $20 off and with all the other stuff we bought, I saved about $100

Generally they have a nice profit margin on tvs. So there's plenty of room to haggle down prices without a bundle. Like my tv, a 65inch Toshbia DLP that lists $2200. Often the Sunday sale had this tv was $2089 at Best Buy and Circuit City. Better if you had a 10% coupon now and then. I got this 65inch DLP tv from an authroized dealer online for $1750, shipped free, no tax. Though, I was actually able to get Circuit City down to $1782 before tax when it was cheaper on their online site, $1980, plus a 10% AAA coupon and they had a $200 of a HD-DVD player. The point of this, there are ways to get the tv down without the need of expensive bundles.

I also had purchased a Sony 60inch A2020 from Circuit City for a while. It was list $2900 then, but was as low as $2300 on their website (never below $2500 in store) and with the 10% coupon I got it down to $2070.

Generally though, if everyone kept haggling them down this far they don't make much money off the tv, thus they charge a fortune for cables and try to work bundles like that. Something that costs them $18 from Monster cables they'd charge $100 for. It's kind of like how movie theaters don't make much off of ticket sales, so they overprice the food to make up for that, except their people know it's overpriced, in a Best Buy they try to sell the cables as gods.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 devilzrule27
Member since 2005 • 270 Posts
This Samsung 19" is awesome. Most amazing picture I've seen on a small sized LCD in a while.
devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 devilzrule27
Member since 2005 • 270 Posts
[QUOTE="Liquid-Prince"]

I got the Sharp LC32GP1U its awesome. From what I recall Sharp is the only one that make a 1080p in that size. I got mine for a great price since I work at bestbuy and sharp gives all of the employees great discounts. cheaper then the bestbuy discount alone. ($750 for a $1400 TV.)