60GB (Phat) PS3 Owners - YLOD - Fix It Before It Happens - 56k Warning

• 153 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts

YLOD - Fix It Before It Happens

**This may or may not fix your YLOD problem. The YLOD could mean many different things. This is for the majority of 60GB "Phat" PS3 owners who are experiencing problems due to OVERHEATING. It's highly recommended that you do this anyway (if you own a 60GB model) to keep your PS3 cool and possibly extend its life span.**

Afraid of getting the YLOD?

Did you get the YLOD and want to get your launch PS3 back up on its feet (not guaranteed to work, but it's worth a shot)?

Well, you've come to the right place. ;)

This guide is for 60GB (Phat) PS3 owners only. If you own a new PS3 slim, this really isn't necessary (yet).

Replacing Thermal Compound

For a guide on how to disassemble your PS3, click here.

• Once you have your PS3 completely taken apart, your CPU and GPU should be exposed and it should look something like this:

• Looks horrible, doesn't it?
  • This is one of the main reasons you guys are getting hardware failures (YLOD) on your PS3s. Thermal compound should be replaced around every two years. This is long overdue and further use could damage the CPU/GPU.

• The stock thermal compound isn't looking so good. Time to replace it to extend the life of your PS3. :)
  • The next step is to clean the old stuff off. I highly recommend using rubbing alcohol and some cotton swabs.

• Just dab the cotton swab in the alcohol and wipe it all off. Make sure its all nice and dry and it should look something like this:

• Now, it's time to put on the new stuff. :) I recommend the best - Arctic Silver 5

• ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 is great too.

• Update: You could also use Tuniq's TX-2 (zero curing time, best performance) or Cooler Master's ThermalFusion 400

• If you give the Arctic Silver 5 around two weeks to cure, it should be able to preform as well as Tuniq's TX-2. If you want instant results, just get the Tuniq TX-2 or Arctic Cooling MX-2.

• Just put a little dab of it on your RSX and CELL (pea-size amount).
  • I'm sorry that I don't have a picture of me applying the thermal paste, but here are a few images that demonstrate how much is needed.

• Don't bother spreading it around. Just place the heatsink back on, apply pressure, then lift it off. It should look something like this.

• That's the perfect amount. ;)
  • When your PS3 is all together again, turn it on and leave it run idle for awhile to let it heat up and spread a little more.
  • After that, you're done! You should see results within the next few days (depending on how long you play on your PS3).
  • If you used MX-2 or Tuniq's TX-2, you should see results almost immediately. That stuff cures very fast.

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

the only reason the thermal compound is fail is because they use that crap, cheap ceramic stuff.

SONY, I WILL HAVE MY VENGEANCE!

dared3vil0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 dared3vil0
Member since 2009 • 1254 Posts

I dunno, But maybe Sticky this?

Jettero-Heller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jettero-Heller
Member since 2002 • 4289 Posts

Ne freaking way am I smrat enough to do that. Cool slides though.:)

11_17_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 11_17_06
Member since 2006 • 765 Posts

This will come in use if my 60 gb decides, to defect on me.

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

Oh, and Riku did yours die?

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Rikusaki

Oh, and Riku did yours die?

samuraiguns
Nope. I just did this yesterday. I took all the pictures so I could make this guide for you guys. My PS3 is cool and quiet now (even with a 7200RPM hard drive in there).
link7654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 link7654
Member since 2004 • 3442 Posts

So does this only affect 60GB owners? I have a slim so I'm worried about having to do this in 2 years...

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rikusaki

So does this only affect 60GB owners? I have a slim so I'm worried about having to do this in 2 years...

link7654

I would probably do this to your Slim in a few years to be safe. My 60GB PS3 was over three years old when I replaced my thermal paste. I'm not sure if Sony uses the same crappy ceramic paste on all PS3 models.

TehSonofUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TehSonofUgly
Member since 2008 • 1643 Posts

I had to do this after my 60gb overheated and got YLoD, it's really not to hard to take apart a PS3 (just remember where the screws go and you're good ;)) So if you're thinking about doing it, or if your PS3 gets YLoD, you probably should try this before shelling out a ton of money.

Also I've heard good things about ThermalFusion 400 compound, haven't tried it myself yet though.

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
The thermal paste needs to be spread out or you are going to cause more damage than good. It is ment to make an even contact throughout the entire surface to allow the most possible heat transfer from valuable parts. With it only on like 50% of the surface you will not get very good results.
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

Damn, where were you in late 2008?:lol:

Every two years eh? Sounds realistic to me since my first one quit on me a year and ten months. A lot better to fix it myself than to pay $190 that I don't really have to spare.

But I have to ask though. On the first instance of YLOD, is it reversible? Or is it considered dead once it hits? Because my first wasn't "two years" to be exact, but I don't really want to have to dissemble my PS3 "every year" either. Especially if I have to go out and find that paste.

Great thread though! One of the very RARE useful threads on here. Mods, make this a sticky will ya??

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Denji

I had to do this after my 60gb overheated and got YLoD, it's really not to hard to take apart a PS3 (just remember where the screws go and you're good ;)) So if you're thinking about doing it, or if your PS3 gets YLoD, you probably should try this before shelling out a ton of money.

Also I've heard good things about ThermalFusion 400 compound, haven't tried it myself yet though.

TehSonofUgly

So this method did work once it occurred...?

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Rikusaki

TehSonofUgly

That stuff is awesome. Tuniq TX-2 is up there as well.

TehSonofUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TehSonofUgly

But I have to ask though. On the first instance of YLOD, is it reversible? Or is it considered dead once it hits?

Denji

Yep it's reversal (if it's just an overheating problem due to bad thermal paste), however running your PS3 really hot can make you run into a slew of other problems. Better to be safe than sorry.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Denji

[QUOTE="Denji"]

But I have to ask though. On the first instance of YLOD, is it reversible? Or is it considered dead once it hits?

TehSonofUgly

Yep it's reversal (if it's just an overheating problem due to bad thermal paste), however running your PS3 really hot can make you run into a slew of other problems. Better to be safe than sorry.

That's good to hear! (read)

At least it's a solution. I wouldn't doubt disconnecting it's power the second it happens and wait till it cools off will help it before attempting this. But I would hope it's just paste though. Especially if your PS3 is well ventilated and not abused.

JamalH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JamalH
Member since 2009 • 50 Posts

Simple actually, i myself have built all my own PC's so this will be a cake walk.

Got some Mx-3 here too, my 40Gb is out of warranty anyway so ill just do this when it YLOD, if ever.

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Rikusaki

Wow, I didn't realize that TX2 was the best thermal compound out right now. :o

To anyone who hasn't done this yet - Get TX2.

Jettero-Heller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jettero-Heller
Member since 2002 • 4289 Posts

Rikusaki

I would assume that this paste is available at hardware/electronics suppliers??

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Rikusaki

[QUOTE="Rikusaki"]

Jettero-Heller

I would assume that this paste is available at hardware/electronics suppliers??

Yep. You can get this stuff on NewEgg.

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
91 platinum trophies? Damn! It takes a lot of trophies to get me impressed. :P Cool guide, I had no idea this was a problem. How do I know when to do this? I haven't had any problems with my PS3 (aside from Assassin's Creed 2 making my PS3 freeze 4 times back in January).
gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
I have a Slim..so I don't have to worry I suppse! :D
SikKwuN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SikKwuN
Member since 2007 • 1442 Posts
ty riku! you rock my socks. :3
envybianchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 envybianchi
Member since 2004 • 1155 Posts

Thank you Rikusaki! I will get the Tuniq TX-2 Thermal Paste & try to fix my 60GB PS3. If it works, great! You will save me an extra $300 but if it doesn't, I have nothing to lose since my 60GB has been dead since last Christmas & I'll just get a Slim as planned.

MODS - Please Sticky this! It will be helpful in the future for those who get the YLOD & want a Do It Yourself Guide.

Edit - Not complaining but I went to Newegg to get the Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound & the shipping cost is nearly $16.00 to Hawaii. Uh...... WTF? How much does this Thermal Paste weigh? I mean holy turd on a stick. That's a freaking rip-off if I've ever seen one!

Does anyone have a recommendation for Thermal Paste off of www.amazon.com with their Free Super Saver Shipping Deal? I would appreciate it! Only one I see so far is Arctic Silver 5. Is that ok compared to the TX-2? Thank you in advance!

envybianchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 envybianchi
Member since 2004 • 1155 Posts

91 platinum trophies? Damn! It takes a lot of trophies to get me impressed. :P Cool guide, I had no idea this was a problem. How do I know when to do this? I haven't had any problems with my PS3 (aside from Assassin's Creed 2 making my PS3 freeze 4 times back in January).Chaos_Bladez

Ryusaki, that is quite amazing. I thought anyone over Level 10 was doing well with collecting trophies but nevermind that. He just blew it out of the water with Level 37.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

God damnit, WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME THIS SOONER RIKU?

Sticky, NOW.

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Rikusaki
[QUOTE="Chaos_Bladez"]91 platinum trophies? Damn! It takes a lot of trophies to get me impressed. :P Cool guide, I had no idea this was a problem. How do I know when to do this? I haven't had any problems with my PS3 (aside from Assassin's Creed 2 making my PS3 freeze 4 times back in January).

If you still own a 60GB "phat" PS3, I would do it as soon as possible.
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts

Wow, great guide!

Sounds like my PS3 should be good as new after this procedure.

I just recently ordered a new laser to replace the broken one I have, and with this thermal paste business, I guess I'll be disc-read-error and YLOD-free for at least a few months :D Thanks!

ForsakenWicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 ForsakenWicked
Member since 2008 • 3745 Posts
Great info. I don't have a 60GB model but I do have a40GB non BC model and I might do this soon to prevent any type of damage.
nikeswoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nikeswoosh
Member since 2003 • 943 Posts
Ya even if the mods don't sticky this im still gonna bookmark it cuz Ive got the 250 gig slim and it gets hot and idk if my MW2 disc getting cracked was a sign but i had my ps3 on none stop for like 4 days and i cant afford a new ps3 and i don't like the fact of opening it but 90 day warrt is about up.I have also built some computers so this should be no prob just getting the thermal paste since i don't got a debit/credit card and a money order would take to long since newegg is the only site that does it but def thx for the post made me start thinkin to do this sooner than later i wish sony didnt use that cheap stuff arctic silver 5 isnt even expensive and that would have been alot better.
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
too late, mine already ylod, and I did opened and fixed myself and die again after two weeks, and the thermal looked just like the pic you shown pretty nasty.... anyway, got back from Sony repaired running good now.
ProjectTrinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ProjectTrinity
Member since 2008 • 1262 Posts
Huh. You think the forums start to grow stale and BAM, along comes a user I've never seen before posting something that applies directly to me and my 60gig. We need more people like you! I request a sticky!
GrandJury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GrandJury
Member since 2009 • 15396 Posts
Very informative guide, if not sticky it belongs in that *Please read* section with all of the useful links.
--Rob--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 --Rob--
Member since 2009 • 376 Posts
I was under the impression that when a PS3 YLODs it is not due to bad thermal paste, but rather due to the solder connections on cpu/gpu coming loose. The paste is reaplied, but it is neither the problem, or the solution to YLOD. My 80gig died over a week ago and Ive read/watched just about everything I could find on "YLOD fixes", not one of them has ever mentioned the thermal paste as the fix itself. Also, you need a much better coating of paste than the OP reccomended, not just a small dab in the middle. Here is the most popular I found (also worked for me): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU
cmpepper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 cmpepper23
Member since 2005 • 3281 Posts

I'm contemplating doing this, but my problem is artifacting similar to this. So I'm wondering does this mean my gpu is already shot or will reapplying new thermal paste fix the issue?

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Rikusaki

I was under the impression that when a PS3 YLODs it is not due to bad thermal paste, but rather due to the solder connections on cpu/gpu coming loose. The paste is reaplied, but it is neither the problem, or the solution to YLOD. My 80gig died over a week ago and Ive read/watched just about everything I could find on "YLOD fixes", not one of them has ever mentioned the thermal paste as the fix itself. Also, you need a much better coating of paste than the OP reccomended, not just a small dab in the middle. Here is the most popular I found (also worked for me): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU--Rob--
If you are using AC5, you should put no more than the amount shown in the OP. Any other thermal paste that has more fluidity than AC5 would probably require a bit more.

nelson415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37 nelson415
Member since 2007 • 1807 Posts

Good job on this bro! very helpful to the 60GB owners!

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Rikusaki

Remember, it's not necessary to spread out the paste. Actually, it's better if you didn't.

These charts prove that allowing the thermal compound to spread out naturally gives you much better results.

DropTarget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DropTarget
Member since 2009 • 375 Posts

Wait, are you meaning to say that I paid $180 to get my PS3 repaired when that is all they probably do at the Sony repair center? What a complete rip off.

damnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 damnet
Member since 2005 • 254 Posts

Yeah, I've been thing about doing this by the end of this year (my ps3 completes 2 years in august), though it is a 40GB model, I've reard that the 40GB ones comes with a way better Thermal paste then the BC models, so I don't know.

Do you guys think it's necessary?

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts

TehSonofUgly
So did your PS3 work after you re-applied the paste? I can do this stuff, but I personally don't think my PS3 will fail. I've never had issues with any of my systems.
4NGoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 4NGoods
Member since 2007 • 1030 Posts

The thermal paste needs to be spread out or you are going to cause more damage than good. It is ment to make an even contact throughout the entire surface to allow the most possible heat transfer from valuable parts. With it only on like 50% of the surface you will not get very good results.wooooode

This is absolutely correct. The bead method of applying it (illustrated above) is meant for specific types of pc processors, such as single or dual core, where the chips are positioned closer to the center. The Cell processor configuration is much different than a standard PC processor. Therefore it's important to spread the compound evenly around the processor otherwise you will not have adequate heat dissipation. The manufacture of AS5 also suggest different methods of apllication depending on what type of processor you have so i highly sugguest you dont use the bead method on the ps3.

Of course i wouldnt recommend anyone doing this if i havent done it myself first and i promise you it'll do wonders for your ps3.

TehSonofUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TehSonofUgly

[QUOTE="Rikusaki"]

[QUOTE="--Rob--"]I was under the impression that when a PS3 YLODs it is not due to bad thermal paste, but rather due to the solder connections on cpu/gpu coming loose. The paste is reaplied, but it is neither the problem, or the solution to YLOD. My 80gig died over a week ago and Ive read/watched just about everything I could find on "YLOD fixes", not one of them has ever mentioned the thermal paste as the fix itself. Also, you need a much better coating of paste than the OP reccomended, not just a small dab in the middle. Here is the most popular I found (also worked for me): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU--Rob--

If you are using AC5, you should put no more than the amount shown in the OP. Any other thermal paste that has more fluidity than AC5 would probably require a bit more.

thats the extent of your reply?

"The paste is neither the cause, or fix for YLOD"

Care to address? As I already said, your OP seems at odds with every other YLOD fix article Ive seen. You got a lot of ignorant people running around happy here, extraneous charts about thermal paste performance and application were really the least of my concern with your OP.

Well it seems that most of the problems is just overheating that comes from bad thermal paste. Now YLoD could actually be any number of problems from a dead PSU to bad solders, but for the most part its just this. And really the reason why there might be solder connections coming loose is because of the board warping from overheating (this was the big issue with 360, heat + X-clamps = RRoD) so it's best to do this anyway to keep your PS3 running cool so you dont encounter those other problems.

TehSonofUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TehSonofUgly

[QUOTE="TehSonofUgly"]

bobaban

So did your PS3 work after you re-applied the paste? I can do this stuff, but I personally don't think my PS3 will fail. I've never had issues with any of my systems.

Yeah it did and has been running fine since late June. I also spent a lot of time cleaning out dust too (the previous owner must not of had a vacuum :P)

Kahuna_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Kahuna_1
Member since 2006 • 7948 Posts

Arctic **** Silver did not fix my problem. I am going to use flux and Innovation Cooling 7 Diamond compound. Hope that this will be a permanent fix.

shabab12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 shabab12
Member since 2007 • 2613 Posts

Remember, it's not necessary to spread out the paste. Actually, it's better if you didn't.

These charts prove that allowing the thermal compound to spread out naturally gives you much better results.

Rikusaki

your graph dosent have a y axis label, can i ask what it is?

tamabeast04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tamabeast04
Member since 2003 • 526 Posts

some games like uncharted 2 and badcompany 2 (bad co. 1 also) and GTA to name a few cause my fan to kick in to high gear, whereas games like demon's souls do not. I imagine it has something to do with the processing and overall temperature of the unit... I have had my 40gb model (using a 250 gb hddrive now) for just over two years. I wonder if this will do a better job of heat dissipation? I have my doubts though because if I open my balcony door the fan eventually backs down. My ps3 just seems to be extremely sensitive to heat, and just to clarify, it is sitting on a completely open tv stand, no back or front or sides (it's glass, pretty nice haha).

TehSonofUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TehSonofUgly

[QUOTE="Rikusaki"]

shabab12

your graph dosent have a y axis label, can i ask what it is?

Degrees Celsius.

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts

Great post :]

I just wish I saw something like this before my console suffered the YLOD.