This topic is locked from further discussion.

abenasty33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 abenasty33
Member since 2006 • 322 Posts
im thinking about getting a Ps3. whats the diffenrce between the 2 other than the space?
Perception1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Perception1
Member since 2006 • 1010 Posts

40 Gb: 2 USB Ports, No PS2 games are playable (PS1 games are playable though), and no Memory Card Reader Slots

80 Gb: 4 USB Ports, Can play most PS2 games (and PS1), and has Memory Card Reader Slots

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 abdelmessih101
Member since 2007 • 5230 Posts

I've had this post saved on a Word document for a while now since many people have been thinking about getting a PS3 recently :)

Here is a link to the GameSpot PS3 Console Resource Center. If you don't want to read all of that, then read this:

Should I get a PS3? Is it worth the money?

The answer is yes; definitely get a PS3

Of course it's worth the money and here's why:

Amazing PS3 Exclusives (currently out, and those to come):

• Resistance: Fall of Man
  • Warhawk
  • Heavenly Sword
  • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (my personal favorite)
  • Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction
  • Killzone 2
  • Haze
  • Home (not really a game, but I don't care)
  • Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
  • God of War 3
  • Kingdom Hearts III (or whatever they call the sequel)
  • Resistance 2 (or whatever they call the sequel)
  • Final Fantasy XIII
  • Final Fantasy XIII: Versus
  • Lair, Eye of Judgement, and Folklore are all popular despite low reviews - check them out
  • rumors of Jak and Daxter coming to the PS3
  • Gran Turismo 5
  • Tekken 6- The King of Iron Fist Tournament
  • Little Big Planet
  • Socom Confrontation
  • Unreal Tournament III- PS3 timed exclusive!
  • White Knight Chronicles- formerly known as White Knight Story; it's an action RPG by industry pros

You can't argue with that list; trust me, it's well worth the money

For a full list that I won't put here for the sake of space, go to this site

Plus, don't forget:

Online service is free,

It's the cheapest form of Blu-Ray player on the market,

Most have backwards compatibility (hurry, the 60GB models w/ the best B/C are going fast)

Check out that sick Walmart deal: (60GB PS3; Blu-Ray remote controller; and your choice of one game from a list including Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, and Resistance; all for $500!!)

[I actually might be missing something - they might actually be including component cable or HDMI cables; not sure, so check up on that]

What are the differences between the 4 SKUs (versions)?

You can check backwards compatibility for specific games here

60GB - limited availability, price somewhere near $400-$500 (depends where you get it from and what comes with it like bundles or value packs), uses the EE chip - 99% backwards compatibility, built in Wi-Fi, 4 USB slots, SD, CF, and other flash card and memory slots/readers

80GB - $500 bundled w/ Motorstorm, uses software emulation (no EE chip)- 85% backwards compatibility (I've heard), built in Wi-Fi, 4 USB slots, has flash card and memory slots/readers (like 60GB)

40GB - $400, no PS2backwards compatibility, I've heard that it still has PS1 compatibility though, built in Wi-Fi, 2 USB slots, no flash card and memory slots/readers

20GB - (I'm not sure if you can find this anymore),uses EE chip -99% backwards compatibility (like 60GB), 4 USB slots, no flash card and memory slots/readers, no Wi-Fi (you need an Ethernet cable to play online)

If you've got a PS2 and it still works, there's not much reason to go with the 80GB instead of the 40GB except for Motorstorm (if you like it), and a couple of extra USB slots. The memory is upgradable anyway.

If you don't have a PS2 or if it's broken, and you still want to play PS2/PS1 games, get the 60GB if you can, or the 80GB if you can't find the 60GB.

If the memory slots are important to you, then your options are the 60GB or 80GB versions.

*Note: I went with the 60GB version before the price drop, and I don't regret the $600+ I spent at all.

What about the Online Service?

Online service on the PS3 (called the Playstation Network) is completely free.

The PS3 has the Playstation Store, where you can download free demos, videos, images, themes, and buyPS1 games, other arcade-like games, add-ons to PS3 games, and entire PS3 games (the only two available right now are Warhawk and Tekken 5).

I know that you can get TV shows and movies from Xbox Live, and the Playstation Network will be doing something like soon. The PS3 is also compatible with DivX movies from your PC and you can get movies on your PS3 that way.

Sony is due to release Home in Q1 2008; it's a virtual world where you can create and customize an avatar and a home for your avatar (ala The Sims). Also, you can access stuff from the Playstation Store in virtual shops, hang out at public spaces with other online PS3 users, and play virtual arcade games. You can text chat using your PS3 remote or keyboard or voice chat using a Bluetooth headset. You can invite your new-made friends back to your private home and share music and videos saved on your PS3, and even invite them to play multiplayer games together. There will also to be a trophy system comparable to the Xbox Live achievement point system, and you can display your trophies at you private place. In short, Home is AWESOME!

Also, Sony is expected to make the Cross Media Bar (XMB) available to you while playing games online. It willhopefully be in one of the next few updates.Until then, however, the online format depends on the game (Resistance has a perfect format IMO).

On the XMB, once you log in to Playstation online account, you can see your buddy list, whether or not your buddies are online and what they're playing if they are online. You can send them a message orinvite them toa chat room where you can use voice chat. You can also access saved music and videos from your XMB and hopefully this will soon be available in-game.

Most online games have voice chat and the quality depends on the headset. I have the headset that came bundled with Warhawk when I bought it from the store (for a total of $60, it saves $20 over getting them individually). It's works great.

I've had my PS3 since January 2007, and have experienced minimal (little to no) lag online or other problems in general. I've heard from others on this site with both the PS3 and 360 who have said that the gamers on Xbox Live are less mature and there is a lot more racism and cursing on Xbox Live than on the Playstation Network.

Even though I've never played on Xbox Live, I've heard from people who have used both that Xbox Live isn't that much better than the Playstation Network.

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts

I've had this post saved on a Word document for a while now since many people have been thinking about getting a PS3 recently :)

Hereis a link to the GameSpot PS3 Console Resource Center. If you don't want to read all of that, then read this:

• Warhawk
  • Heavenly Sword
  • Killzone 2
  • Haze
  • God of War 3
  • Final Fantasy XIII
  • Lair, Eye of Judgement, and Folklore are all popular despite low reviews - check them out
  • Gran Turismo 5
  • Little Big Planet
  • Socom Confrontation
  • White Knight Chronicles- formerly known as White Knight Story; it's an action RPG by industry pros

Plus, don't forget:

Online service is free,

Most have backwards compatibility (hurry, the 60GB models w/ the best B/C are going fast)

Check out that sick Walmart deal: (60GB PS3; Blu-Ray remote controller; and your choice of one game from a list including Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, and Resistance; all for $500!!)

[I actually might be missing something - they might actually be including component cable or HDMI cables; not sure, so check up on that]

60GB - limited availability, price somewhere near $400-$500 (depends where you get it from and what comes with it like bundles or value packs), uses the EE chip - 99% backwards compatibility, built in Wi-Fi, 4 USB slots, SD, CF, and other flash card and memory slots/readers

80GB - $500 bundled w/ Motorstorm, uses software emulation (no EE chip)- 85% backwards compatibility (I've heard), built in Wi-Fi, 4 USB slots, has flash card and memory slots/readers (like 60GB)

40GB - $400, no PS2backwards compatibility, I've heard that it still has PS1 compatibility though, built in Wi-Fi, 2 USB slots, no flash card and memory slots/readers

20GB - (I'm not sure if you can find this anymore),uses EE chip -99% backwards compatibility (like 60GB), 4 USB slots, no flash card and memory slots/readers, no Wi-Fi (you need an Ethernet cable to play online)

If you've got a PS2 and it still works, there's not much reason to go with the 80GB instead of the 40GB except for Motorstorm (if you like it), and a couple of extra USB slots. The memory is upgradable anyway.

If you don't have a PS2 or if it's broken, and you still want to play PS2/PS1 games, get the 60GB if you can, or the 80GB if you can't find the 60GB.

If the memory slots are important to you, then your options are the 60GB or 80GB versions.

*Note: I went with the 60GB version before the price drop, and I don't regret the $600+ I spent at all.

The PS3 has the Playstation Store, where you can download free demos, videos, images, themes, and buyPS1 games, other arcade-like games, add-ons to PS3 games, and entire PS3 games (the only two available right now are Warhawk and Tekken 5).

I know that you can get TV shows and movies from Xbox Live, and the Playstation Network will be doing something like soon. The PS3 is also compatible with DivX movies from your PC and you can get movies on your PS3 that way.

Sony is due to release Home in Q1 2008; it's a virtual world where you can create and customize an avatar and a home for your avatar (ala The Sims). Also, you can access stuff from the Playstation Store in virtual shops, hang out at public spaces with other online PS3 users, and play virtual arcade games. You can text chat using your PS3 remote or keyboard or voice chat using a Bluetooth headset. You can invite your new-made friends back to your private home and share music and videos saved on your PS3, and even invite them to play multiplayer games together. There will also to be a trophy system comparable to the Xbox Live achievement point system, and you can display your trophies at you private place. In short, Home is AWESOME!

Also, Sony is expected to make the Cross Media Bar (XMB) available to you while playing games online. It willhopefully be in one of the next few updates.Until then, however, the online format depends on the game (Resistance has a perfect format IMO).

On the XMB, once you log in to Playstation online account, you can see your buddy list, whether or not your buddies are online and what they're playing if they are online. You can send them a message orinvite them toa chat room where you can use voice chat. You can also access saved music and videos from your XMB and hopefully this will soon be available in-game.

Most online games have voice chat and the quality depends on the headset. I have the headset that came bundled with Warhawk when I bought it from the store (for a total of $60, it saves $20 over getting them individually). It's works great.

I've had my PS3 since January 2007, and have experienced minimal (little to no) lag online or other problems in general. I've heard from others on this site with both the PS3 and 360 who have said that the gamers on Xbox Live are less mature and there is a lot more racism and cursing on Xbox Live than on the Playstation Network.

Even though I've never played on Xbox Live, I've heard from people who have used both that Xbox Live isn't that much better than the Playstation Network.

abdelmessih101

Very well written peace of information

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 abdelmessih101

Very well written peace of informationjimm895

Thanks

6asket6a11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 6asket6a11
Member since 2006 • 48 Posts

Here is a link to the GameSpot PS3 Console Resource Center. If you don't want to read all of that, then read this:

• Warhawk
  • Heavenly Sword
  • Killzone 2
  • Haze
  • God of War 3
  • Final Fantasy XIII
  • Gran Turismo 5
  • Little Big Planet
  • Socom Confrontation

Plus, don't forget:

Online service is free,

abdelmessih101

Im getting a 80 gb for christmas very excited counting down the days :)you told me everything i need to know about them thanks

youmademyday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 youmademyday
Member since 2007 • 215 Posts
Im getting 40gb since i will not be playing ps2 games on it because o already have a ps2. If you need more tahn 2 usb they sell usb duplicator very cheap. They DVD playback is better in 40gb than any other type of ps3.
abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 abdelmessih101

Im getting a 80 gb for christmas very excited counting down the days :)you told me everything i need to know about them thanks6asket6a11

Great; glad to help

alberto2045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 alberto2045
Member since 2005 • 1591 Posts
[QUOTE="abdelmessih101"]

• Warhawk
  • Heavenly Sword
  • Killzone 2
  • Haze
  • God of War 3
  • Final Fantasy XIII
  • Gran Turismo 5
  • Little Big Planet
  • Socom Confrontation

Plus, don't forget:

Online service is free,

6asket6a11

Im getting a 80 gb for christmas very excited counting down the days :)you told me everything i need to know about them thanks

good now people go and get teh PS3 stop wondering is yes or no you wont regret it

avensons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 avensons
Member since 2007 • 79 Posts

Who said that dvd's are played better on 40 gb? "total bulll sh*t!"

80gb is way better 100$ difference but much more options...

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts

Who said that dvd's are played better on 40 gb? "total bulll sh*t!"

80gb is way better 100$ difference but much more options...

avensons

DVD's play the same on all the PS3's (very good). The 80 gig is the best value over the 40 gig, althouth the 60 gig has the best BC in NA.

ken12012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ken12012
Member since 2004 • 309 Posts

Very well written peace of information

jimm895

Seconded