250$ & 300$ Price tag for PSV OMG!!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#1 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

WOWZERS!!!!

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Coolyfett

The Wifi version of Playstation Vita is 249.99, the 3G version of Playstation Vita is 299.99. How can anyone be made at that?

haze_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 haze_blaze
Member since 2003 • 3907 Posts
It's awesome that they were able to keep all that tech so well priced in a handheld! I think a lot of people were skeptical that Sony would be able to keep the price in line with the 3DS... And with the developer support already looking so strong, Sony just might win this round in the handheld space. PS Vita was really the only exciting news of the conference... but I was highly impressed.
dbzfreak123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 dbzfreak123
Member since 2008 • 168 Posts

Deffinitly going to get it now

wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 wakefulness
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts

Also, do not expect a large loss. The OLED was the biggest sticking for financial reasons but, production is going to be at that the point where sony can have a good supply and make some good profit off the demand.

The PSN connectivity should rock too. That cross game chat "Party" seemed really cool. Looking forward to the official release date.

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts
Sounds good, im hoping the Australian price isnt much higher.
megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23161 Posts
Day 1 purchase right here.
xDanny123x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#8 xDanny123x
Member since 2009 • 126 Posts

ditto I'll be getting this one too :D but I really don't care for the 3G so I'll get wifi only

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Coolyfett

dbzfreak123

Coolyfett is in total disbelief!!! How can Sony do this? How did they make that happen? 250 is way underselling the Playstation Vita!!! It just doesnt seem real.

Avatar image for finalserenade75
finalserenade75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 finalserenade75
Member since 2009 • 2162 Posts

Yupe, day 1 purchase for me :D

email2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 email2003
Member since 2004 • 3529 Posts
Vita looks great but I'm not falling for this like PSP. Why should I spend $299 for a portable device that will phase out like the PSP did. Since the day I bought my PSP back on launch 2004, I only own about less than 10 games and haven't bought a game for it for 2 years now. Vita.......NO THANKS!!!
LURCH87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 LURCH87
Member since 2008 • 1375 Posts

very nice price point

definitely buying

haze_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 haze_blaze

Also, do not expect a large loss. The OLED was the biggest sticking for financial reasons but, production is going to be at that the point where sony can have a good supply and make some good profit off the demand.

The PSN connectivity should rock too. That cross game chat "Party" seemed really cool. Looking forward to the official release date.

wakefulness

Yes, aside from how gorgeous everything looked on it... the connectivity features were the most exciting announcements imo. Not only being connected through the network, but having direct integration b/w PS3 and PS Vita versions of a game!

haze_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 haze_blaze
Vita looks great but I'm not falling for this like PSP. Why should I spend $299 for a portable device that will phase out like the PSP did. Since the day I bought my PSP back on launch 2004, I only own about less than 10 games and haven't bought a game for it for 2 years now. Vita.......NO THANKS!!!email2003
The developer support for Vita is already looking way stronger. Particularly with the less than stellar reception of the other new handheld... Just the games they showed tonight were enough reason to want to own one honestly. And the news that there will be a Bioshock property on it as well. If Vita is being embraced by hardcore devs, things bode very well for it!
Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#15 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts
I was prepared for a $350 base price. I was blown away when I found out they are offering such a competitive price for such cutting-edge tech. If I can get the money by that time, it's a day one purchase for me.
blacknight06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 blacknight06
Member since 2006 • 1422 Posts

I wonder how the games will be priced.

redman100111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 redman100111
Member since 2006 • 533 Posts

Day one for me. They actually did a good pricing this time (don't think so? look at 3ds) but I still would bought it if it was a little bit more methinks. Glad it is not though :)

wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 wakefulness

[QUOTE="wakefulness"]

haze_blaze

Yes, aside from how gorgeous everything looked on it... the connectivity features were the most exciting announcements imo. Not only being connected through the network, but having direct integration b/w PS3 and PS Vita versions of a game!

That new Eve Online typish game tie-in is going to be huge. It will pretty much be all the PC, PS3 and PSV gamers in one place.

pencru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 pencru
Member since 2009 • 1779 Posts

Nice! I don't think I'll have much use for 3G (not that I even know that much about it!) so the $250 WiFi version is good. Nice one, Sony!

ShawDowFX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 ShawDowFX
Member since 2003 • 4696 Posts
So, when is it coming out?
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

so they are selling their hardware at a loss again? or is is it that cheap to make.

wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wakefulness

So, when is it coming out? ShawDowFX

There is a global launch witch will take place sometime later in the year.

Avatar image for Poncho_Hachacha
Poncho_Hachacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Poncho_Hachacha
Member since 2011 • 675 Posts

[QUOTE="dbzfreak123"]

Coolyfett

Coolyfett is in total disbelief!!! How can Sony do this? How did they make that happen? 250 is way underselling the Playstation Vita!!! It just doesnt seem real.

I think the thing most people didn't consider is that most of the comparable products out are selling at a profit form the 3ds to smart phones. The Vita is selling at either a breaking even price or a slight loss vs it's competitors which are selling at sometimes 200% or higher markups. I could be wrong, but this price didn't seem too farfetched so long as Sony didn't let the temptation to selleach system for a large profit affect them too much.

wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wakefulness

so they are selling their hardware at a loss again? or is is it that cheap to make.

KBFloYd

Are you being negative for negative's sake or are you really interested in the answer. (I have to ask)

Well, the PSV will use stock chips, an OLED which Sony was thinking of moving towards in their next gen of TV's anyway, the day-and-date DD'd PSN titles and the new memory formats will more than likely actually create an eco-system where Sony would actually end up profiting alot from the device.

There is also other stuff like they might have set up a sweet deal with ATT but, those plans seem to still be fleshing out. It's crazy though, right? So many people just assumed it was going to be expensive. Some even thinking it was going to be a repeat of the PS3 reveal but, the jokes made afterwards on Kaz was really just charming.

blabbyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 blabbyboy
Member since 2008 • 2614 Posts

Nice! I don't think I'll have much use for 3G (not that I even know that much about it!) so the $250 WiFi version is good. Nice one, Sony!

pencru
Just wondering do you need a plan for the 3g?
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

wakefulness

Are you being negative for negative's sake or are you really interested in the answer. (I have to ask)

Well, the PSV will use stock chips, an OLED which Sony was thinking of moving towards in their next gen of TV's anyway, the day-and-date DD'd PSN titles and the new memory formats will more than likely actually create an eco-system where Sony would actually end up profiting alot from the device.

There is also other stuff like they might have set up a sweet deal with ATT but, those plans seem to still be fleshing out. It's crazy though, right? So many people just assumed it was going to be expensive. Some even thinking it was going to be a repeat of the PS3 reveal but, the jokes made afterwards on Kaz was really just charming.

so i guess no one knows the answer yet.. lets see if it doesnt sell and sony starts reporting a loss in revenue again like they did with the ps3. then they might speak out.

oh and im just making conversation wakefulness :)

Alx1231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Alx1231
Member since 2007 • 527 Posts

Honestly, I think that Nintendo priced the 3DS wrong but I don't think it should be worried avbout the PSV pricing. I fully expect Nintendo to lower the price by $50 before the PSV even hits stores, not because they're scared or have to but because it was all part of the plan. I thought that they were going to lower the price to insult Sony further when they announced the price of NGP would be $350 buuuut looks like sony turned around and came back punching with the $250 price tag. Now I believe that Nintendo's price drop for the holiday's isn't for embarrasing sony but to get right back in the game. This is how compitition works and it looks like it's gonna be one hell of a battle and I'm glad imma be there with both consoles every step of the way.

spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

The 3DS has some competition.

redman100111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 redman100111

[QUOTE="wakefulness"]

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

KBFloYd

so i guess no one knows the answer yet.. lets see if it doesnt sell and sony starts reporting a loss in revenue again like they did with the ps3. then they might speak out.

Just do the research your self maybe? If you don't like it go to the Nintendo Board or System Wars. It's called competive marketing & pricing and is what every good company strives to do to get more consumers towards them and show they can beat pricing or match it. Common knowledge.

wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 wakefulness

[QUOTE="wakefulness"]

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

KBFloYd

No one knows what? Did you just disregard that middle paragraph where I wrote about Sony using stock processors to lower the pricing and all that?

No probs. People go to the fourms for that purpose I suppose. :)

Alx1231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Alx1231

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

[QUOTE="wakefulness"]

redman100111

Just do the research your self maybe? If you don't like it go to the Nintendo Board or System Wars. It's called competive marketing & pricing and is what every good company strives to do to get more consumers towards them and show they can beat pricing or match it. Common knowledge.

Of course it loses money but let's be real here, that's not a bad thing. Most consoles lose money in the beginning anyway. It's very common in this industry and Nintendo just started releasing products that they don't lose money on so it's more common to lose money than not.
WllDan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 WllDan7
Member since 2004 • 2581 Posts

I was not expecting that price. I may just get it now this year. The only thing that will stop me is the games released for it. And also the games released for everything else. I want batman and will not let anything stop me from buying it.

Mcortijo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Mcortijo01
Member since 2003 • 2589 Posts

Loving the prices. What would the benefits be for having 3G on the new psp?

wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 wakefulness

Honestly, I think that Nintendo priced the 3DS wrong but I don't think it should be worried avbout the PSV pricing. I fully expect Nintendo to lower the price by $50 before the PSV even hits stores, not because they're scared or have to but because it was all part of the plan. I thought that they were going to lower the price to insult Sony further when they announced the price of NGP would be $350 buuuut looks like sony turned around and came back punching with the $250 price tag. Now I believe that Nintendo's price drop for the holiday's isn't for embarrasing sony but to get right back in the game. This is how compitition works and it looks like it's gonna be one hell of a battle and I'm glad imma be there with both consoles every step of the way.

Alx1231

Not to discuss the Treaty-es but, Nintendough (codenames as this topic must follow forum ToS) will drop the price if they really want the treaty-es to have a chance in the portable market. They overcharged on the treaty from the beggning and even stated they would at last E3 so, they could very well lower the price. Whether they do that this year is yet to be seen. It more than liekly might come next year or sometime around there.

Any one who read up on that stuff would have known Nintendough might try something like that regadless so a low adoption rate for the PSV was crucial. thankfully, Sony devlivered and then some.

wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 wakefulness

Loving the prices. What would the benefits be for having 3G on the new psp?

Mcortijo01

The 3G may work great with the "Party" app so that the user could text and chat with another PSV friend in games and stuff like web browsing.

redman100111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 redman100111

If they do lower the price for the 3ds, Sony wouldn't be worried about it and I doubt they'd comeback and do a price drop on the PsV just because Nintendo did a Price drop. I think 3ds is overpriced anyway for the system specs it has compared to Sony but that is a matter for the system war forum I guess.

Alx1231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Alx1231

[QUOTE="Alx1231"]

wakefulness

Not to discuss the Treaty-es but, Nintendough (codenames as this topic must follow forum ToS) will drop the price if they really want the treaty-es to have a chance in the portable market. They overcharged on the treaty from the beggning and even stated they would at last E3 so, they could very well lower the price. Whether they do that this year is yet to be seen. It more than liekly might come next year or sometime around there.

Any one who read up on that stuff would have known Nintendough might try something like that regadless so a low adoption rate for the PSV was crucial. thankfully, Sony devlivered and then some.

I was just thinking out there so of course it's just what I think. They priced it high on purpose and I'm thinking it was because they thought the NGP would be super expensive which back fired on them and I think that it would be smart if they lower the price for the holidays.
Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts

[QUOTE="Alx1231"]

wakefulness

... you can't be serious. The sony portable market is barely even a market. The PSP (unfortunately) died faster than it came, thanks to hackers and poor dev support. All that it did was try to mimic what it could from the DS market (when it really should have been focusing on its own aspect, which it did, once it was too late). The Vita is underpriced for the hardware, which is smart for sony to do right now (since the ps3 release wasn't as strong as they would have liked), and the only games that we saw were 2nd party or capcom. Sony needs to not be so worried about the competition this gen if they want to get anywhere. Maybe you should read up on a subject before you post thinking you know anything about any sort of sales related tactics.I hate to see sony wasting potential when they have such great exclusive support (uncharted looks AMAZING), but they are trying to live out kid-sized dreams on this one. also, we don't know how much games will cost, so that could either A. Make up for the price of the system, but keep people from buying games; or B.keep fighting with the 3DS as far as pricing goes, and continue to bleed valuable company resources dry. 3G will probably not be a strong selling point to more core gamers, but sony is counting on unknowing passerbyers to think that they NEED to pay the extra 50 for the "better" model. I don't like it especially, but from a purely business perspective, it is sony's best shot at rising up.
wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 wakefulness

[QUOTE="wakefulness"]

[QUOTE="Alx1231"]

Alx1231

I was just thinking out there so of course it's just what I think. They priced it high on purpose and I'm thinking it was because they thought the NGP would be super expensive which back fired on them and I think that it would be smart if they lower the price for the holidays.

It is a theory. Engough of that talk though, today is all about the PSV! :-D

Alx1231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Alx1231

[QUOTE="Alx1231"][QUOTE="wakefulness"]

wakefulness

Agreed and yes it is a very exciting day! $250!!!!!! I had the biggest smile on my face when when they announced that. It's crazy! Day one buy for me.
wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wakefulness

[QUOTE="wakefulness"]

[QUOTE="Alx1231"]

garrett_duffman

... you can't be serious. The sony portable market is barely even a market. The PSP (unfortunately) died faster than it came, thanks to hackers and poor dev support. All that it did was try to mimic what it could from the DS market (when it really should have been focusing on its own aspect, which it did, once it was too late). The Vita is underpriced for the hardware, which is smart for sony to do right now (since the ps3 release wasn't as strong as they would have liked), and the only games that we saw were 2nd party or capcom. Sony needs to not be so worried about the competition this gen if they want to get anywhere. Maybe you should read up on a subject before you post thinking you know anything about any sort of sales related tactics.I hate to see sony wasting potential when they have such great exclusive support (uncharted looks AMAZING), but they are trying to live out kid-sized dreams on this one. also, we don't know how much games will cost, so that could either A. Make up for the price of the system, but keep people from buying games; or B.keep fighting with the 3DS as far as pricing goes, and continue to bleed valuable company resources dry. 3G will probably not be a strong selling point to more core gamers, but sony is counting on unknowing passerbyers to think that they NEED to pay the extra 50 for the "better" model. I don't like it especially, but from a purely business perspective, it is sony's best shot at rising up.

Perhaps I do not know as much as ananalytics scientisthowever, there is no reason at all to be rude.You and I come to the forums to have some level of intelligent discourse. And, not on any social occassion; public forum or otherwise, does any one have the right to be libelous. If you want to continue that mindset so be it but, I am not taking that ***t. If you can understand that concept than we can continue . . .

Regarding the PSP/PSV things (as discussing non PSP/PV hardware is a SW related matter), the PSP actually did have a large impact and outsold the DS at its initial launch. Piracy did play a big role however, the sales untis (for the PSP) are still strong in Japan. There are also multple PSP titles which have risen to the top ten in unit sales in Japan as of late 2010. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd was really the break out title in Japan last year and is probably growing nearer to the 5 million unit sales figure (if it has not reached the 5 mil figure already).

The Vita only had a small amount of third party titles however, there where Japanese devs like Falcom, Imageepoch and NIS that have already stated they would make launch titles (will provide links if desired). The west did have less third party support (even during the January conference) however, that would be more indicitive of the fact that Sony had closer ties to companies such as Falcom that kept making great titles for the PSP early on the PSP2 prototypical phases. For all anyone knows, there will be more stuff revealed later in the year. CoD will more than likely be around launch, THQ has some titles planned for release and, FIFA and some other more typical stuff was leaked this year too. It would be wise to wait a little bit longer as the 80 in development titles and over 150 companies from third parties will eventually flesh out into some launch titles.

It would be easy to see a quality retail title at $50 USD but, there would be some value in everyone one of those phsycial games copies. The game card itself is flash based and is going to be re-writable for game saves, patches and firmware updates, etc. The interesting thing is Sony could either charge the same for the physical medium version as the DD copy on the PSN, charge less or have sales; either way it is a bit of a win-win. PSV still is going to have the physical presentation and the DD presence which is a big lesson learned from the PSP Go. Either way, the titles will come and people will buy them.

I sincerely hope you do not take anything I write personally. I never intend to personally insult or emberass anyone, I can promise you that. I am sure you are a kind person and I hope all the best for you.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Coolyfett

KBFloYd

Who cares, its all about the consumer.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Coolyfett

wakefulness

This is correct, this topic is ALL ABOUT the SONY PLAYSTATION VITA, it is not a comparison thread or a system wars thread. Only discuss the pricing of the SONY PLAYSTATION VITA & your happiness in regards. Thanks for your time.