2009 Gamestooge Award PSP Nominees Announced

This topic is locked from further discussion.

digimonkey12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 digimonkey12
Member since 2009 • 1851 Posts

GameStooge.com has revealed the nominees for the 2009 GameStooge Awards, which honors video games from the industry that have made a profound impact in the year 2009.

I think it is the right nominated titles but maybe Motorstorm Actic and Dissidia is missing ?

Best PlayStation Portable Game of 2009
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
LittleBigPlanet
Patapon 2
Resistance: Retribution
Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny

damann22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 damann22
Member since 2004 • 7655 Posts

my vote goes to patapon 2, only because I consider GTA: CW a ds port that shouldnt be considered. I like patapon 2 more anyway

TehPwnerer46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 TehPwnerer46
Member since 2009 • 407 Posts

My vote is to littlebigplanet. It might just be the most creative game with the most things do do/create on a handheld console.

blacknight06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 blacknight06
Member since 2006 • 1422 Posts

Patapon 2

its the most original

the rest are all ports in a way

lostcali8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 lostcali8
Member since 2005 • 2548 Posts

My thoughts exactly that Motorstorm and Dissidia should be there.

Specifically replacing Patapon 2 and GTA:CTW but eh.. Out of those I'd go with RR..

riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#6 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

where's dissida?

digimonkey12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 digimonkey12

my vote goes to patapon 2, only because I consider GTA: CW a ds port that shouldnt be considered. I like patapon 2 more anyway

damann22

I got all the games except Soul Calibur and even though I love them all and especially LBP I still vote for Patapon 2because IMO it is the most original game series.

Patapon 2

its the most original

the rest are all ports in a way

blacknight06

RR is not a port IMO but we agree on Patapon 2 ;)

EDIT: The more I play LBP the more I think it is one of the best games I have played for the PSP just as I felt the first time playing Patapon.

I am also giving my vote for LBP PSP ;)

.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

daveydag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 daveydag
Member since 2004 • 403 Posts
where is MHFU? :O i will go and cry somewhere. outta that list i say LBP though.
smithster118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 smithster118
Member since 2008 • 3910 Posts

Patapon 2 is excellent.

I still need to play LBP, MotorStorm: AA and GTA: CW though.

ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 ston3henge
Member since 2007 • 2732 Posts

Specifically replacing Patapon 2 and GTA:CTW but eh.. Out of those I'd go with RR..

lostcali8

My own feelings on "Dissidia" aside, would you really call it on a par with "Resistance" or some of those others? It might be a good game, for fans especially, but it's hardly an advancement in the platform and really if you look at it with an objective eye, it's hardly anything special at all. "Resistance" showed the system off (though that was another game i didn't personally like) to a fantastic degree in-game and cut scenes and everything... even the online is praised.

Not bashing "Dissidia", so lay off me... but I think it's where it ought to be. A fan fav, but not a critic's darling.

FallofAthens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FallofAthens
Member since 2008 • 2026 Posts

I think Monster Hunter should be on that list, but oh well. Out of those titles, Patapon 2 hands down. And that's mainly because it's the only one of those titles I've actually played. :P

Though I'm surprised Gran Turismo didn't make that list.

TehPwnerer46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TehPwnerer46
Member since 2009 • 407 Posts

Resistance Retribution was a great game in every aspect but it felt like syphon filter with different skins/environments. The actual gameplay was far too similar

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
Out of that list, definitely Resistance.
lostcali8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 lostcali8
Member since 2005 • 2548 Posts

[QUOTE="lostcali8"]

ston3henge

My own feelings on "Dissidia" aside, would you really call it on a par with "Resistance" or some of those others? It might be a good game, for fans especially, but it's hardly an advancement in the platform and really if you look at it with an objective eye, it's hardly anything special at all. "Resistance" showed the system off (though that was another game i didn't personally like) to a fantastic degree in-game and cut scenes and everything... even the online is praised.

Not bashing "Dissidia", so lay off me... but I think it's where it ought to be. A fan fav, but not a critic's darling.

Ahh yes, one of the few games we've ever disagreed on. :P

I don't know, it's certainly not the fighting alone that gets that recognition in my eyes, but the wealth of additional content, and the quality of that content the deeper you get into the game. The fighting alone is borderline repetitive, no doubt, but the mesh of RPG/fighting aspects somehow keeps it fresh. I'm compelled to keep playing it because the unlockables and addictive nature of the character building don't make the fighting "bearable", they make it fun.

Don't quite understand it myself, as by all rights I should be sick of the fairly simplistic fights by now, but I'm not. Each battle is just as fun as the last.

And at 114+ hours in, (embarrassing I know) thats really saying something. Couple that with the fact that I'm not a rabid FF fan, (had only played a few before getting the game) and I don't even particularly like fighters, aside from realistic sports titles. (Like boxing, streetfighting, MMA etc).

Hell after playing the overhyphed demo I was all but sold on NOT getting it. Got tired of the flashy, fun at first combat in less than an hour. But I had the cash to burn, (and a friend that would not leave me alone about it) so I took the plunge. And realized it can't be fully experienced by the demo, as the fighting itself is literally only half the fun.

Anyways I'm sure it's an absolute wet dream for FF fanboys, and their kind of praise is of course way over the top (best game in life, etc, etc). But looking beyond the gameplay itself, even the production values are fantastic. Beautiful graphics, great sound, wonderful score, an absolutely sick amount of depth and replay, and an only slightly lacking story. (Probably more so if your a big FF fan.. I found it just meh..)

So despite not wanting to sing it's praises this much, I really can't help but regard it as one of the best titles of 2009. An 8.5 to 9.0 and a top three for me with Motorstorm and Resistance.

Really have no better way to describe it, and all imho of course. But make no mistake, I mean it when I say I didn't want to like it as much as I do. :lol:

Just sort of happened..

digimonkey12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 digimonkey12

Resistance Retribution was a great game in every aspect but it felt like syphon filter with different skins/environments. The actual gameplay was far too similar

TehPwnerer46
Well...you are not wrong ! because Resistance Retribution is built on a modified Logan's Shadow engine. Good looking out ;)
ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 ston3henge
Member since 2007 • 2732 Posts

Respect, as always Cali... Well-put.

You're always one of the fans who at the same time expresses reasonable views pro and con!

:D

I will always listen to what you have to say, m'friend!!!