1080i upscalling or monitor support?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

grantstewart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 grantstewart
Member since 2002 • 760 Posts

So I've been looking into buying a PS3, but I don't think that my HDTV will work with it. My TV supports 1080i instead of 720p (it's an old CRT) so many of the best PS3 games will scale down to 480p instead of up to 1080i. My question is does anyone know if sony has any plans to include some sort of upscalling for PS3 games in the 2.0 update?

Also, I have considered buying a monitor with an HDMI input, does anyone know if the PS3 is able to run through monitors through HDMI or DVI?

Thanks for the help!

pentamaroonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 pentamaroonis
Member since 2007 • 251 Posts

in order to hook it up to your monitor, you will need an dvi to hdmi cable, they are around $30cdn, as for the TV business...i dont know

hazuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 hazuki
Member since 2003 • 3959 Posts
Well the ps3 only supports hdmi, but if you have a hdtv that has a hdcp compliant dvi connection, you can use it. But on the whole other deal, don't worry. Go to play-asia.com and search for *xcm 1080p vga box*. What this thing does, is upscale anything from 480p-1080i to whatever resolution you desire. Its probably the cheapest upscaling standalone box i've seen. Though as for sony including something like this in an update? They better, because its something thats keeping alot of people from buying the ps3.
Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts
Actually an HDMI -DVI cable is 70 dollars canadian, i bought one yesterday from the source and cost me 70 bucks, and then i had to get optical sound cables and they were another 60. not cheap for hi def quality, i traded in my 360 for my ps3, and i eneded up paying more for the cables then i did for the ps3 itself. so far im not to happy with the different picture formats ps3 offers, 480 or 1080p, i wish they offerd something in between like 720 so that the image doenst downscale so much