YoungDavid77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 YoungDavid77
Member since 2011 • 70 Posts

Today marked the 10 year anniversary of the PS3 launch. Remember E3 2006 when they announce the price for $600.00, lot of people were unhappy, and it was a hug blow for Sony. That is why many 3rd party brought there games to Xbox 360 because people didn't want to paid for a $600.00 system. I first brought mine in 2007 for $349.99, a year later it had the yellow light which it freeze when playing. I hear rumors that in 2009 3rd party companies almost didn't bring there games to PS3 because of the price which they almost went Sega Dreamcast. But Sony did something about it by drope the price for PS3 down to $299.99 with a new slim model. I brought the slim in 2010.

To me I think PS3 did good but not great as Xbox 360, but Sony did turn it around in 2009 with the new slim PS3 and they had some killer games. I think Sony learn there lesson on PS3, and they did a good job on PS4 right now but with the PS4 Pro some say Sony is falling back like on PS3. They got to be careful because if Xbox Scorpio beat out the Pro it could be the end of Sony making console but that won't happen anytime soon.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

I liked my PS3 better then my 360. I waited though until price drop and got it for £220. Both failed this gen though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#3 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I think Sony had enough brand loyalty to keep the PS3 going strong last gen. I don't think there was ever any indication that the system was doing poorly, and in fact I remember a lot of blu-ray movie adopters went for the PS3 simply because it was a more affordable blu-ray player that could also do games. It also had more RPGs and things that had become niche late in the 2ks.

Did it come in last place, against Wii and 360? Yeah, I'd say so. But it wasn't really doing bad by any means.

I think 360 really put XBOX on the map for a lot of people, because it broadened its scope last gen and attracted more people outside of its initial Western FPS focus. It's clear that Sony enjoyed a clear comeback early this gen, with the XB1 debacle and its embracing of what majority gamers wanted.

If we're talking about present, I'm not sure where Sony stands right now. With the XBOX One doing much better, and Nintendo gaining more of the spotlight with Pokemon and plans for its Switch, I think Sony has its competition cut out for it. I haven't heard much about the Playstation VR from other people, and I guess everyone is just kind of in sit and wait mode for the new XBO and PS4 models.

Avatar image for deactivated-58319077a6477
deactivated-58319077a6477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-58319077a6477
Member since 2007 • 4954 Posts

They had a rough start at the beginning of the Playstation 3 lifespan mostly because the success of the PS2 blinded them and thought that gamers will jump on and pay that kind of money for it. the addition of Blue-Ray was great for them since this format won.

Also, the reason why most the games that were exclusive to PS3 were made muti had more to do with the system being hard to develop for because of the CELL.

I got mine 8 months after launch 60 GB version Backwards Compatible (I never buy gaming systems at launch) had a great time with switching between PS1-PS2-PS3 games until the Yellow thing came and I had to buy the Slim which unfortunately didn't have the BC.

None the less it was a great system and I had a great time with it. However, it didn't not match my experience when gaming on the PS2.

NingYupOwaDat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NingYupOwaDat
Member since 2016 • 182 Posts

It's one of my favourite consoles ever, once I got a ps3 I hardly ever touched my 360 again.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

The PS3 was the first console I bought at launch, but I'll always remember it for having an array of outstanding games, even if it did have a lot of terrible ports that got far better treatment on 360, due to being developer friendly.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7267 Posts

Rough start, but ultimately a great system with a huge library of great games.

pug987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pug987
Member since 2005 • 460 Posts

The PS3 was the best system of its generation but it owns a lot of that to Microsoft. If Microsoft hand't beaten them so bad at the start I don't think Sony would have put in the effort to create such a great and varied library of games for the console nor would drop the prices like they did. Competition is good for gamers.

I still haven't played all the PS3 games I've wanted to and I keep my old PS3 around despite having a high end PC and will continue to even when I get a PS4.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Macutchi  Online
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

they learnt a lesson. there's a price ceiling for consoles, people don't necessarily want a full blown multimedia centre (just a gaming console), their internal architecture needs to be easy to develop for beyond first party and that brand loyalty is a fickle concept no matter the success and popularity of what has proceeded it. you're only as good as your last console.

but they were smart, learnt from their mistakes - which drove the concept of the ps4 - whilst ms went the other way and the xbox one, initially at least, ironically mimicked mistakes made by the ps3 and lost sight of what had made the 360 so successful

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Happy Birthday PS3 I still have both a 20GB PlayStation 3 and the fabled PlayStation 3 60 Gigger. 10 years ago those systems launched and were state of the art gaming beasts. Original the 20Giger was $500.00 and the then fabled Ps3 60 Gigger was $600.00 Sony was very bold with the PS3 launch. 86.5 million PS3 consoles sold over 10 years is decent. But doesn't match up to the PlayStation 2 lifetime totals of 157.4 million consoles, nor to the 104.3 million of the original PlayStation. Even todays PS4 has reached 44.5 million sold in just 3 years more than half the PS3 total. Still the PS3 era brought so many new gaming franchises. The PS3 started awful but turned it around and restored the PlayStation brand. Sony did great in fixing their mistakes and holding on for a great finish for the PS3. A great console in it's own right.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Sony did great with it.. It came out rough and it looked like it was gonna be a massive flop, but Sony turned it around which is pretty amazing. Honestly thinking back about the PS3, it probably has my favorite library on a Sony console ever. So many great games

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Like I mentioned in another thread, I love PS3's UI and also the animated backgrounds but shame they charged for them though. I do wish they kept a very similar UI for PS4 instead of that mosaic of massive tiles telling me everything that I didn't care about but not even showing me how many hrs I played each game. However I think the 360 was the better choice and had better AA

I think Steam spoiled me quite a bit.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

The PS3 had a rough start, but Sony did an awesome focusing on its first party efforts. I know a lot of Sony's titles flopped in sales, but the games were still awesome. Folklore, Puppeteer, Hot Shots Golf 5, Wipeout HD, Motorstorm, and Resistance were all great franchises.

technofunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 technofunky
Member since 2014 • 28 Posts

I think the PS3 did brilliant, PS3 was my 1st modern gen console and I have enjoyed playing games on it so much.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

They failed, it's one of Sony's worst mistakes as a company (Sony overall, not just their Playstation brand)

Coming off the PS2 and the power it granted them they squandered it all to show they were the smartest person in the room and it blew up in their faces.

From a very poor start to an end of a generation that saw them paying out the nose to retain some companies, the entire generation was embarrassing for Sony.

The PS4 was a return to how Sony is supposed to dominate the entertainment industry.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

The PS3 was terrible at first; an absolute embarrassment and I feel sorry for the people that only had a PS3 in the early parts of last gen. However, in the second half of the generation, they started making improvements and released some excellent 1st party games which were among the best of the generation which led to the PS3 ending up as a good console worth owning by the end of the generation.

That said, while the PS3 managed to become a good console towards the end of the generation, it was outclassed by the Xbox 360 in pretty much every single way from multiplat performance to controller to online service to OS to marketplace to innovations to indie scene etc.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

I love my ps3 i am ok with my ps4 but i miss ps3 days

Jomabug76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jomabug76
Member since 2016 • 3 Posts

I think Sony did good in the long run..as a gamer and system collector..PS3 has been a great system ..the games..graphics and not to mention the other things PS3 can do that make it a viable device for years to come to have even if no longer play the games on it ..divx movies..downloaded file movies.pics ..apps ..Netflix ..internet..Sony vue..tons of things dvds blu rays ..CD music discs

.I have five PS3 systems I fix repair them..I have over 200 games for PS3..to me it's one of my favorite consoles ever if not fav. Better graphics than completion of that gen..better games ..does more than others..better all around console .PS3 all the way .

NukleaWorfair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 NukleaWorfair
Member since 2009 • 475 Posts

Well I bought a PS3 at launch in 2006, and it is still going strong. I have never had a console for 10 years. Whether they failed or not, they definitely delivered for me.

The fact that I went into a store yesterday and saw FIFA 17' for both PS4 AND PS3 speak volumes. My launch version PS3 is still alive, and I remember many of my friends 360s broke within a year, and there was no FIFA 17' available for 360'.

IMO, PS3 will reach similar numbers to PS2. The reason PS2 managed so high numbers is because people in poorer countries bought them consoles after their cycle. Which they are now doing with the PS3.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#20 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

To me they did the same as every gen. It starts slow with crappy games and end up being unstoppable. This time 360 did a brutal battle but in the end, sony finished it with a bang ( The Last Of Us ). If it wasn't for better performance with multiplat the 360 would've been almost dead since their exclusive aren't very good outside of Halo, Gears of War and Forza.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

The PS3 ended up with an exceptional gaming library and truly great new franchises exclusive to it. Plus, unlike MS bleeding its gamers dry, Sony stuck with a free online model.

The PS4 will end up with a far smaller gaming library and and a pay to play model for online modes. This is actually an inferior console.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

After reading the thread title I was thinking about the "and did Sony failed or did good on the PS3" part. The PS3 was my fav. console last gen, but most exclusives I enjoyed on it weren't from Sony. Sure there were a handful first party games I enjoyed, but most of them came from 3rd party. I wonder why they did get so much support from 3rd party and still do.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Best console last gen hands down, the exclusives alone made it a must have. Sure it had a rough start but it bounced back and became the console to own.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

it was a failure. it should have completely dominated everything last gen. coming off the PS2 it should have just pushed on. instead sony decided to use it as a trojan horse.

hardware wise they got it badly wrong. it was the most expensive console to produce by quite a bit and games were running worse than on the cheaper console. in the end it never really pulled away in the technical or graphics department and any benefit that may be pointed out has more to do with very talented developers working on one set of hardware for a decade than it does the power of "teh cell". i mean its interesting from an academic point of view but there was never any pay off.

it just bacame a lesson in how not to design and develop a console. thankfully sony have learned. the vita and PS4 are excellent bits of kit.

they did do a lot of good damage limitation though. 3rd parties going multiplat really hurt sony last gen so they spent a good deal setting up a more effecitve first party. they are now certainly releasing games that are getting peoples attention.

but yeah internally at sony HQ i think the PS3 is left as an example of how not to design and promote a console. they wont make that mistake again....hopefully.

Avatar image for BabyPulpFiction
BabyPulpFiction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BabyPulpFiction
Member since 2013 • 246 Posts

loved my ps3. played it to death, the beauty

Gamer46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 315

#26 Gamer46
Member since 2003 • 11304 Posts

It was both a failure and a success. When you dominate for two gens in a row then squander everything and barely pull ahead at the end to finish second last-gen, that's a failure. For most companies 80 million+ consoles would be looked at as brilliant, for example everybody talks about how well 360 did eventhough it ended up in third place, but for PlayStation after the previous two consoles were at over 100 mil and after the PS2 outsold the competition combined by nearly 3 times over, falling to what PS3 did could be considered a disaster. However, software wise it was a great console, especially from 2009 and afterwards. If I compiled a list of my top 20 favorite games from last-gen there'd be a good number of PS3 exclusives in there, more so than for Xbox 360 or Wii.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@YoungDavid77: The Xbone Scorpio plays Xbone games and is a year away...that's a long time in a gaming generation.

The XbTwo and PS5 are around the corner by the time it releases.

PS4 just hit a huge 50 million milestone btw, and remember the console has hundreds of more games than the competing consoles.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

I owned Wii, 360 and PS3 Slim but I like PS3 the most out of three systems thanks to the exclusives.

Dy1lan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dy1lan123
Member since 2016 • -3 Posts

Rough start, but ultimately a great system with a huge library of great games. http://www.mailmarke.com/

CheekyIchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30 CheekyIchi
Member since 2010 • 739 Posts

Personally, I think the PS3 was a great success despite a lackluster launch.

wildhoney66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 wildhoney66
Member since 2008 • 324 Posts

i love the PS3 i haven't played mine since the summer but it's a great system and i wish people would keep their older systems instead of getting rid of them when the new ones come out.