Outlast Impression

This topic is locked from further discussion.

denverb24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By denverb24
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Thinking about trying Outlast. What did you guys think about it?

Ahiru-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 Ahiru-San
Member since 2006 • 1375 Posts

Do you have a PS+ subscription? If so, you should have already tried!!

If not, not really sure if it's worth the full price tag, depends on how much do you like these kind of games.

I played for about an hour, alone at night. And it's freaking scary. I must have jumped in place three times and I know I'm not that far. You can't fight, you can only hide or run. It's dark, you rely on batteries to keep your camera's night vision on. It's tense, got a creepy atmosphere. If you like to actually "live" a horror movie instead of just watching one, this game is for you.

Kinda linear though, the only replay-ability I can think of is to play in a harder difficult level - with less batteries around and much harder hits… But the experience is rather awesome nevertheless..

betamaxx83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 betamaxx83
Member since 2013 • 360 Posts

I absolutely love Outlast, I'm a huge horror fan definitely made my heart race on several times.

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

to each their own, but I've watched a lot of streaming gameplay via the PS4 and it looks redundant, boring and pointless. Every gimmick in modern horror flicks has been pillaged and overused. Free running horror style with the Blair Witch night vision BS. I hate it. If there's a demo out I don't even want to bother trying it.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

It doesn't bring anything new to the horror platform, BUT by stripping away your ability to defend yourself(no guns, knives or ANY type of malee)Outlast makes the player approach it in a way that they are not use too! That's probably why some people are turned off by it, but I think that's part of the appeal to others is that you are almost totally powerless in a very MUCKED up situation!

Outlast does have it's fare share of scares, but I would say that disturbing would be my one word I would use to sum it up with. Overall it's a great game worth the price or even better for free if you got PLUS.

perphekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#6 perphekt
Member since 2009 • 1096 Posts

I thought about getting it for my PC/Laptop but i'm not sure if the 20 dollars they want for it is worth it and i haven't really looked up the whole...specs. Which i should do to begin with. >.>

However, if i had a ps4 i would have already jumped on that opportunity. I'm a huge horror movie/game/show/book fan, anything zombie or horror, i'm there. I love love love it. So it would be a no brainer to at least test this out.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

It's definitely got it's own style of survival horror. You either like it or you don't. Only way to know is to try it.

undergroundLPx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 undergroundLPx
Member since 2003 • 710 Posts

It is definitely an experience worth playing through. Production wise, it is a very well made game. I got it for free as a PS Plus subscriber and after playing it I can say I would have paid for it if I had to. I have been genuinely freaked out and have gotten goosebumps several times... it does a great job of creating an experience, you truly feel as if you were roaming the environment.

I would advise to get PS Plus instead since you get these type of gems for free on a monthly basis.

legendofsense

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By legendofsense
Member since 2013 • 320 Posts

Picked it up on PS plus and enjoyed it very much. Question, was it just me or did the frame stutter at certain times? It didn't happen often but when it did, it was quite noticeable.

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

I played it on PC and really enjoyed it. I think I paid 15$ for it on Steam. Well worth it. Great tension and some pretty intense moments in the game. Although it seems the AI can be heavily scripted in movements, so not much replay value (but that's fine I think)

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MarcRecon

@legendofsense said:

Picked it up on PS plus and enjoyed it very much. Question, was it just me or did the frame stutter at certain times? It didn't happen often but when it did, it was quite noticeable.

Nope, it's not just you there where drops, but as you said it wasn't often!!

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#12 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts

@MarcRecon said:

It doesn't bring anything new to the horror platform, BUT by stripping away your ability to defend yourself(no guns, knives or ANY type of malee)Outlast makes the player approach it in a way that they are not use too! That's probably why some people are turned off by it, but I think that's part of the appeal to others is that you are almost totally powerless in a very MUCKED up situation!

Outlast does have it's fare share of scares, but I would say that disturbing would be my one word I would use to sum it up with. Overall it's a great game worth the price or even better for free if you got PLUS.

Im at the theater now bro.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Yeah not sure about Outlast... Played about a third of it, but got quite annoying. But I will probably go back and play it again soon.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MarcRecon

@Young_Charter said:

@MarcRecon said:

You coming down the home stretch!!!

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#15 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts

@MarcRecon said:

@Young_Charter said:

@MarcRecon said:

You coming down the home stretch!!!

I took a break tho. As soon as I probably finish Left Behind I'll finish that up then play some GTA