Why so mush hate on Final Fantasy 12 and 9?

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts
Topic Let discuss
_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#2 _AbBaNdOn
Member since 2005 • 6518 Posts

FF9 pretty forgetable storyline,  really generic characters, I loved the Tetra minigame though. 

FF12 has a pretty freaking complicated story that is horrably compacted down into a few sentences per each scene.   The combat although innovate and unique can be boring.  The fact that any character can be any class also does nothing to make you like one character over the other.   The fact that Espers are tied to specific people and not able to be used by anyone.  The fact that there is no minigames. 

The only FF game that really deserves to be dumped on is 8.  I would play any of the others.  

moran123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 moran123
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
i cant belive u think ff8 is bad its incredible lol not !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:twisted:
moran123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 moran123
and does any one know where i can get my picture which u guys have got
_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 _AbBaNdOn
Although...FF as a series I think sucks and is stale.  I mean ignoring the mmorpg 11 and the couple of tactics games there has been very little change in the FF formula.  Good guys, bad guys,  static equipment,  magic spells,  espers/gaurdians/whatevers.    FF specialized in cutscenes and graphics and stories.   They never really touched how combat was handled or how people progressed through the game.     FF Chrystal chronicles was truly a NEW FF game.  I cant wait for the Wii and DS versions to hit the shelves.  If they would just TRY to add depth to their rpg's like disgaea we would have the perfect rpg's.  
_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 _AbBaNdOn
Moran if your talking about our avatar pictures just click your name and then find the "my preferences" link and then look under "forum settings" or something.   You should probably also click the forum link way up at the top of the website and find the newbie forums.   They teach you how to do all kinds of neat things.   
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jasonharris48
I don't think 12 is a bad game I think its just different from the others but in a good way. It my not be my favorite one yet I have invested more time into that game mire than the others.
Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Terami
Member since 2004 • 3992 Posts

Maybe I'm not as picky as some others but I have yet to play a Final Fantasy that I didn't enjoy on some level.  Sure some of them have had some flaws but compared to many other RPG's out there, FF has always had better quality and more polish.

I enjoyed XII very much, despite having a few issues with it's Espers, lackluster story(I liked the story, it just wasn't big enough or developed enough), bland characters (save for a few) and a some what abrupt ending.  And unlike quite a few others, I loved the battle system and the option to customize all the characters to my own tastes.  Hell, I loved the freedom I was given in XII all around.

As for IX, oddly enough, it's one of a few FF's I have yet to play, even though I own them all. :? I plan on playing it sooner or later, along with a few other old games.

CheeseRa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CheeseRa
Member since 2004 • 1153 Posts

Those who don't like IX (and claim to like FF) are fanboys of the 3D Final Fantasy games who have yet to play anything before VII and claim they're too mature to play IX because it looks "kiddy" despite being probably the only 3D Final Fantasy to stay true to the series' roots.

IX is a masterpiece.

And XII well, I liked it, but I was disappointed at the same time. I felt it was pretty stale.

Darth_kriza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Darth_kriza
Member since 2005 • 141 Posts

There's much more hate towards FF 8 than 9... all FFs have both innovations and flaws... 7 seems to be the one that escapes people's criticism...

12 really lacks story, somthing X and VIII have much more, I'd play FF 9 for fun, since even characters with or withou specific abilities suck in both (except Salamander Coral, which is a pretty late-in-the-game unbalanced character, hell too strong comparing to the others...

The main advantage of FF 9 is the battle... the rest is just forgettable... (except alexander and bahamut...)

Dust_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dust_Fox
Member since 2007 • 737 Posts

i actually want to start playing all the final fantasy's. i've played vii, x, xii, working on i and ii right now. i really want to play viii. i played vii a little and even made my friend buy viii but never got to playing it. i dont see why people hate xii so much. its a difference but essentially the same gameplay. the story wasnt the best in the world but no story is. the only thing i didnt like really was that there wasnt that much character development and backstory. also the fact that you can make them whatever you want them to be. thats a great idea but i like it when a character is known for that weapon. theres no ultima weapon for each of them or really differentiate them from eachother. everyone knows cloud for his claymore, squall for his gunblade, auron is the cool lone warrior with the glasses, zidane is the dude with the cat tail. i havent played ix but i want to play. does anyone kno where i can buy old ps1 games? 

vicsrealms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 vicsrealms
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

I have to disagree with you on FF9.  FF9 would have been a fine game if they would have dropped the mini-games.  It had a good story (once you get past the dancing rats), ok characters, and pretty good gameplay.  The chocbo dig game just absolutely irritated the heck out of me.  I think I spent more time on the dig game then on the entire game itself, and never even found Ragnarok.  Then they added that 12 hour requirement just to get Excalibur 2.  I don't know what they were thinking, as you pretty much miss the entire story just trying to get it.

As far as FF12 goes, the game play was irritating and very boring.  The characters were just not as interesting as some of the previous games.  I think even Squal had more personality then some of those characters.  The story was about as bad as that of FF11 (did it actually have a story?  I don't know, all I remember is waiting hours just to get a group so I could actually level).  It had a lot of possiblities, but just didn't catch my attention like FF4 or FF6 did.

Still, most of the FF games past FF6 have relied heavily on mini-games to increase the amount of time you play the game.  You need to run through them to get Knights of the Round, all the special weapons in FF9 and FF10 (ah, the horrors of dodging lightning bolts and blitz ball), stupid card games, and I won't even go into FFX-2.  FF1, FF4 - FF6 had a few mini-games, but they were not a requirement to get certain weapons.  FF6 had the arena, but that was a lot of fun testing your skills against certain monsters. 

The only thing that has changed is the increase in mini-games and the way they present the story.  Sure, someo f the movies are great visuals, but they have taken up a lot of the games.  Not that I'm complaining, watching Bahamut and Alexander go head to head was just about the best movie out of all the games.  They have had a few changes in the battle system, but nothing (until 12), that really ruined the game play.  Well, FF8 wasn't exactly great either.  Trying to go after the last boss in FF8 at level 99 was an absolute nightmare.

Here's hoping FF13 turns out to be what FF12 should have been.  It sucks to have a FF that I don't particularly enjoy playing.  Especially since I have been a fan of the series since Final Fantasy I came out on the NES. 

Drkr_Zen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Drkr_Zen
Member since 2004 • 7330 Posts

It's quite simple why these two titles get so much hate.

Why FFIX? It was too much like the 2D classics that appeared on the SNES.. and, as we all know, all FFs before VII were teh toodee and suxxors!

Why FFXII? It had a story that was very hard for most to follow, let alone understand. Plus, the game frequently used a lot of big words.. a no no for many (stupid) gamers.

On top of that, neither one had a cross dressing, spikey haired, blonde guy who was bad ass as he chased (and obsessed after) a pretty male villain! lol

VII and VIII had the most convoluted stories I've ever seen (not interesting, or epic.. just confusing) that made about as much sense as a nickel. Then, X didn't even have a really good story due to boring characters (with only a few memorable ones) and no truly prominent, or good for that matter, villain.

But seriously, it's funny how the FFs that garner the most hate are the ones that I thought to be some of the best RPGs ever.. those being IX and XII. But that's just me; I also thought that every third installment on a given system was the best.. those being VI, IX and XII.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jasonharris48
The only thing I can say that I don't like about 12 is license board could of been better; But was good to say the least. The thing that I hate about 12 is Vann and Penelo those two characters are the wrost thing that happen to 12 but I still like the game alot.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jasonharris48
The great thing about playing 9 and 12 is it reminds me about of the old days when I first to play FF on the Snes. With the story line,theme,gameplay, character build up, the characters (except for Vann and Penelo).
ArchAngel2284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 ArchAngel2284
Member since 2003 • 1120 Posts
i loved ff12 and thought 9 was pretty good. kinda weird at times, i don't know.
Bullets4Brains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Bullets4Brains
Member since 2007 • 504 Posts

FF7, great

FF8, great

FF9, never played it

FF10, great

FF11 online, never played it

FF12, great

I've yet to play a bad FF game.

_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 _AbBaNdOn
try FF:Tactics advanced for gameboy lol.
pog_ma_thoin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 pog_ma_thoin
Member since 2006 • 808 Posts
Ive never played XI, and i love XII. I actually havent heard too many people bash XII, well not as much as VIII anyway.
pog_ma_thoin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 pog_ma_thoin
Member since 2006 • 808 Posts

Ive never played XI, and i love XII. I actually havent heard too many people bash XII, well not as much as VIII anyway.

EDIT: Sorry about the 5 posts in a row! My pc just screwed up 

Hakud0ushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Hakud0ushi
Member since 2005 • 7613 Posts
dunno about ff12, i liked, and i play like any other ff game
Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#26 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts
FF12 was a good game but an horrible final fantasy, it's not because there is moogles and chocobo that the game has the FF ambiance that others had. I think the hate should go towards FFX-2 i mean it was a horrible game and Final fantasy
Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#27 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts
VII and IX are the only two FF that i gave 10/10
Avatar image for HeartOfStone013
HeartOfStone013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HeartOfStone013
what? i think Vann is sweet! but i give you props cause Penelo does suck....i don't use her, Ashe, or that bunny eared girl that i don't even remember her name! This is pretty random and so i think that's all i'm gonna say...
-Regan-
bryehngeocef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#29 bryehngeocef
Member since 2003 • 2281 Posts

Final Fantasy XII is one of my favourite games ever. I spent more than 120 hours with that game. I loved the scale of things. Really made me feel like I was on a grand adventure. The Gambit system was a true revelation for me also. So many side bosses, no lame mini-games like freaking BlitzBall, all of the hunts...man I love that game. It actually made it hard for me to play another RPG when I was finished, and I play alot of RPGs.

I still think it will be a while untill a new RPG eclipses it in my eyes. I know XIII won't. I have hopes for Dragon Quest IX, White Knight Story, Blue Dragon and Lost Odessy, but Final Fantasy XII will always have a fond place in my gaming memory. 

gunblade712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30 gunblade712
Member since 2007 • 391 Posts

I think ppl hated 9 becoz they changed the protagonist from a macho-uber-sexy-antisocial-badass kinda dude to a more cute-ilovemytail-ilovemyfriend kinda kid. (Ok zidane was not a kid... who cares? :P ).. and 9 has all the element from the previous FF series...

12, on the other hand, is totally the opposite. Square has created something 'new', not like the typical FF series in which u have the ATB or turn-based thing, and nice storyline in which the hero falls in love with the heroin etc.. FF12 has a more deeper storyline which does not involve the aspect of love indirectly. I've read about the explaination about FF12 somewhere in this forum. Too lazy to find it and post the url, though.. :P

SO yehh.. i think this is why ppl hated these 2 final fantasy. The game is good as it is. Why change an already good game?

But, I do love these 2 FFs, in fact, I love all of 'em.. No bias between FFs, becoz each FF has it's own ups and downs.

vanessajune_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 vanessajune_6
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
I really like all of them. I tought nine was really good, so was eight. I haven't really played final fantasy 7 so I couldn't say but im sure it's really good, plan on playing it if I can find it:P and 12, well it's good too but I don't know, I just don't get the same feel. It dosn't seem like a final fantasy to me but ya it's really good though.
gunblade712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gunblade712
Member since 2007 • 391 Posts

I really like all of them. I tought nine was really good, so was eight. I haven't really played final fantasy 7 so I couldn't say but im sure it's really good, plan on playing it if I can find it:P and 12, well it's good too but I don't know, I just don't get the same feel. It dosn't seem like a final fantasy to me but ya it's really good though.vanessajune_6

DUDE!! U MUST PLAY FF7!! Sure, the graphic sucks big time, but the game is like.. WOOAAHHH!!

dslayer1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#33 dslayer1111
Member since 2005 • 76 Posts
lol no idea theres so much hate on it. maybe some people didnt understand what the storyline was about in 12? eithere way i liked both games.(12 mostly)
Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#34 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

Well I really like FF9 , I'm going through it for the 3rd time right now and it is still good. I think it get hate because of the look of the caracters.

I have buy FF12 the day it came out. After like ... 40 hours ... I give up. I resell the game. Too much leveling up when you enter a new place. The game plays be itself , you just have to move your caracters ... blame caracters without any emotion or personality and well the story , too simple for a FF game. I realise FF game that is follow up of a previous FF is really a huge let down. Remember FF X-2 ? FF12 is set in the same world as FF Tactic on the PS1. I prefer the story in FFT than FF12.

Well if FF13 isn't better , I don't think I will consider a PS3.

Holyknight_CJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Holyknight_CJ
Member since 2006 • 1091 Posts

The review of games is obviously largely subjective. Its just preference. I myself thought the story and characters of FF7 were the coolest. So without further ado...

FF7 is my favourite game of all time. Best story and characters ever! Every other aspect of the game is also top notch. Square realizes this, and are therefore expanding on it. FF Tactics was also great.

jakndaxter7223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#36 jakndaxter7223
Member since 2005 • 2101 Posts

The best one of course was FF XI..................i mean duh, come on

Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Terami

what? i think Vann is sweet! but i give you props cause Penelo does suck....i don't use her, Ashe, or that bunny eared girl that i don't even remember her name! This is pretty random and so i think that's all i'm gonna say...
-Regan-HeartOfStone013
Her name was Fran. :P

Hey, at least Panelo had some personality. 

Who was Vann? I don't remember a character named that!  /sarcasm.  Vann was forgetable.  If you want to talk sweet... Lets talk Balthier or Basch... Yummm.

Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Terami

I loved the scale of things. Really made me feel like I was on a grand adventure. The Gambit system was a true revelation for me also. So many side bosses, no lame mini-games like freaking BlitzBall, all of the hunts... 

bryehngeocef
I feel the same.  From the minute I picked up XII, I could not put it down and I lost myself (not literally) in it's massive world.
AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AtelierFan
Member since 2006 • 1544 Posts
I didn't really hate XII (such a strong word), but I did get to a point where I wasn't enjoying it as much as I wanted too -- part of that was from charging though 40 some hours of it and not realizing I needed a break from it (for the time being). And as far as IX goes, I really liked it. I am aware that it widely not liked by the generation weened on FFVII, but I sort of prefer the whimsical fantasy setting/music/characters to the cyber/steam punk sexually ambiguous look of the other post-VII FF's.