Call_me_Saint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Call_me_Saint
Member since 2006 • 39 Posts
Ight, I played FF something i played it for like... 20 minutes n said it sucked my nuts.. its kool but i **** HATE the battle system iuno just picking your attack and watching your charactor do it was gay YOu cant move or nothing.. please tell me WHAT THE HELL IS SO GREAT ABOUT THIS GAME?
Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#2 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts
well play FF12 if you prefer action game ... for me , I prefer turn based , more strategic
buttface1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 buttface1
Member since 2007 • 297 Posts
It's called turn-based. And it's more stragetic, and some of us prefer stradegy over brawns.
quack_er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 quack_er
Member since 2005 • 1570 Posts
Some people like the story and music of FFs. Some people like turn based, some people like action based (assuming you're comparing to the Zelda series or something). Otherwise, not everyone likes a run and gun type of game.
gunblade712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 gunblade712
Member since 2007 • 391 Posts

yes..

some of us prefer strategical stuff over beat-'em-up thing....

The key to the game is the storyline and how u prepare u'r characters before the fight.. but then again, maybe strategy/tactical is not your thing..

Sargey123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Sargey123
Member since 2005 • 108 Posts
Look ,that you dont like rpg,it not saying they stupid games,if you dont like games that you need to use your brain thats not our problem,so go play god of war,and final fantasy is the best rpg series,so you like action its not bad,but in next time you want to play a game,cheak if its not rpg :) - Becasue i love RPG !!!!!!
Avatar image for michelle_moraes
michelle_moraes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 michelle_moraes
Member since 2005 • 4198 Posts
For me, it is mostly the storyline and the OSTs... but honestly, it depends on what are your favorite genres of games... if you are into fighting games, of course it won't be the same playing a Final Fantasy...
gunblade712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gunblade712

yes...

stop saying this game or that game are stupid. we could also say that u'r action or fighting games are stupid, relying solely on button mashing and no-brainer at all. but that's so not true.

u should learn not to play RPG, but learn how to respect other ppl's perspective and opinion.

no hard feelings aye?

Sargey123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sargey123

yes...

stop saying this game or that game are stupid. we could also say that u'r action or fighting games are stupid, relying solely on button mashing and no-brainer at all. but that's so not true.

u should learn not to play RPG, but learn how to respect other ppl's perspective and opinion.

no hard feelings aye?

gunblade712

you cant read ?i said this games not stupid!!!!

gunblade712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gunblade712
[QUOTE="gunblade712"]

yes...

no hard feelings aye?

Sargey123

you cant read ?i said this games not stupid!!!!

Sorry didn't notice that.

Yes i can read, but i think u should learn how to write.

Read back u'r post..

Look that what you dont like rpg,it not said they stupid games,if you dont like games that you need to use your brain thats not our problem,so go play god of war,and final fantasy is the best rpg series,so you like action its not bad,but in next time you want to play a game,cheak if its not rpg

Sargey123

"..it not said they stupid games," --------- huh?

ok enough of joking around.. :P back to the main topic.. yeah u should play god of war or something like that. If u wanna try action + RPG, feel free to try Rogue Galaxy..

Sargey123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sargey123
I finished Rouge Galaxy and .Hack//G.U vol.1 and look i read that he is don't liked FF so i explained him that the RPG games isn't stooped,you see ? he thinks they stupid so i explaining to him that they not-i am a FF Fan why i will say something about RPG ??? and i love GOD i just giving him a advice that he will not say but things about RPG games gotit ? :) . and sorry for my mistakes i a Russian so i cant write good at English ok ?so lets start a new friendship :) | back  to the topic Call_me_Saint ,try what gun said to you,who knows maybe you love it... 
_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#13 _AbBaNdOn
Member since 2005 • 6518 Posts

At its core FF games are about taking on the role of an adventurer on a different planet and fighting new and exciting creatures.  Usualy on your way to save the world.   If you take any FF gae and strip the overall storyline out of the game what are you left with?  Think about the npc you pass in the FF games.  Ever wonder if they ever go fight monsters?   Sure they must or they wouldnt try making weapons and armor.   That kind of background is kool.   Throw in some great music and cool characters and you got something fun. 

Newbies probably would find older games lacking, if not downright boring and thats ok.  Your not suppose to like everything that came before your time.  Your suppose to look towards the future and work towards it.  

I'd like to hear if the orginal poster likes any other rpg's out there??   What did those have that FF does not??  How many FF games has he actually even played? He admitted to only playing the one for 20 minutes lol. 

I have owned lot of FF games but personally I think they are rather shallow.   Your stats and equipment are going to be the same as everyone elses by the end of the game and that sucks.   I wish they would add some depth to character customization like disgaea where your stats can go into the millions. 

FF:Chrystal Chronicles is freaking awesome though.  Its action orientated and fun and the graphics are killer and the background is the best ever and i cant freaking wait for the Wii and DS version.  It also suffers from a lack of depth but still it isnt menu driven combat so its ok.  

Abby88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 Abby88
Member since 2004 • 642 Posts

It's called a "turn-based RPG." If you don't like it, play action RPGs or just plain action games. To each their own, man. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's "gay."

But, to answer the actual question, the thing that attracts me to FF games (and RPGs in general) is the storyline. I'm a bookworm too, and to me it's a lot like reading a good book. I enjoy being drawn into a character's life and watching a great story unfold. I actually don't think the FF games are the best RPGs out there, though. Just the most popular and well-known. 

gunblade712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gunblade712

I finished Rouge Galaxy and .Hack//G.U vol.1 and look i read that he is don't liked FF so i explained him that the RPG games isn't stooped,you see ? he thinks they stupid so i explaining to him that they not-i am a FF Fan why i will say something about RPG ??? and i love GOD i just giving him a advice that he will not say but things about RPG games gotit ? :) . and sorry for my mistakes i a Russian so i cant write good at English ok ?so lets start a new friendship :) | back  to the topic Call_me_Saint ,try what gun said to you,who knows maybe you love it... Sargey123

Sorry sarge.. nice :D i am a malaysian.. so we are friends, aye? PM me sometimes k bro?

ohh yeah FF is one of the best.. one nice thing about them is that they keep on repeatedly using the same name for some of their weapons and NPC (i.e ultima weapon being the strongest weapon, cid is almost always in all of the series etc) and they are kinda fun if u ask me... some ppl think it is lame, yeah u have u'r own opinion.. but my opinion (and most of the guys out there who loves FF), FF is one of the best final fantasy series to date. And if u read about how did square gets the idea for final fantasy, u'll understand WHY it is called FINAL FANTASY... :P

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115435 Posts
well sounds like you played one of the older final fantasies, why not check out some of the newer ones maybe you'll change your opinion, like you should definitely try out FFX, FFXII
Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Terami
Member since 2004 • 3992 Posts
Ight, I played FF something i played it for like... 20 minutes n said it sucked my nuts.. its kool but i **** HATE the battle system iuno just picking your attack and watching your charactor do it was gay YOu cant move or nothing.. please tell me WHAT THE HELL IS SO GREAT ABOUT THIS GAME?Call_me_Saint
U seem like du kind of feller dat would sur njoy Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles.  Dat der's nuff action fer ya. :D 
vanessajune_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 vanessajune_6
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
I really love final fantasy, it's like my favourite series on the ps2. That's because I like the turn base style and I was juste wondering which final fantasy did you try out? because if you want a bit more action then you should try FFXII but my favourite one was final fantasy X. It's just amazing, the storyline, the music, the characters and everything go so good together but ya, it's turn base so it's more strategic so I don't know if you would enjoy it but I know I really did!:D
elmer1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 elmer1985
Member since 2006 • 29 Posts
Ok if you are bored you can try Button mashing RPG like the tales series and Star Ocean this games have no boring battles for me OK!!!
gunblade712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gunblade712

yeah!!

rpg + button mashings = new controller

hehehhe

ErrorOfRuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ErrorOfRuto
Member since 2007 • 43 Posts
I think you should spend more time with it before you give up, especially considering that this seems to be the first time you have played a turn based rpg. 

Keep in mind that if the battle system in a turn based game seems to suck for the first 20 minutes, there is a good reason for that, the battle system DOES suck for the first 20 minutes. The real fun of turn based games is in their complexity, offering nearly infine possibilities for how you conduct a battle, and letting you customize your characters to suit whatever type of strategy you prefer. However, to keep things accessible for new players, game creators usually keep things very simple and easy at the beginning of the game and then introduce more variables to the battle system over the first few hours. 

So initially when you start a turn based game having only one character who is limited to "attack" and "heal", it will seem very boring and pointless if you are used to games like God of War (where you are running around disemboweling things and doing amazing combos in the first 5 minutes.) Be patient and stick with it at least until you've leveled up a few times and have some more characters in your party. Once you start equipping new weapons, leveling up your party, gaining abilities, and battling more challenging enemies, you should start to get a better sense of what makes these games unique and engaging. As someone who enjoys many different types of games I can tell you that turn based games can offer experiences that are just as, if not more intense than anything you will find in a real time action game.

It sounds like the battle system was the only thing holding you back from enjoying the game, so I would suggest giving it another try. PS2 has such a great selection of quality rpgs that it would be a shame to miss them because you gave up on turn based combat so quickly. Trust me, I made the same mistake and avoided turn based rpgs for years after playing only 15 minutes of Dragon Warriror and thinking it was just Zelda for uncoordinated kids. I can't guarantee you will like the game, but I can guarantee that the battle system gets a lot better than what you see in the first 20 minutes.
pog_ma_thoin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 pog_ma_thoin
Member since 2006 • 808 Posts
Everyone have different tastes. No offense, but its normally people with a low IQ who dont understand how to play that game that think its sucks. And that the battle system blows.
changbang412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 changbang412
Member since 2006 • 34 Posts
well, t3h final fantasy games have great storylines which is one reason why people love them.  RPG games are usually liked by the kind of people who want to enjoy a long, good game.  Final Fantasys battle system attracts the people who dig t3h RPG stuff.  I personally think that t3h final fantasy games are masterpieces.  If you don't like it you would probably enjoy beat em up games like Devil May Cry or other action games without turnbased stuff.  Final Fantasy 7 was t3h best ;)
yariang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 yariang
Member since 2006 • 117 Posts

My story is very like the original poster, I first played Final Fantasy X and that's when my friend introduced me to the world that is Final Fantasy.  I hated it, I started a new game about 3 times and got through the first part of the game in like 20 minutes and hated it so much because it was turned based, I called it gay too.  That's because I played that game after being used to Kingdom Hearts in which you can move around and hack away at things.  Now it's the opposite, I prefer Final Fantasy TBS over Kingdom Hearts' battle system.

Final Fantasy games are not shallow, it has great character development and the stories are very good.  Final Fantasy XII is sort of an oddball right now, as its story has less character development and is more dark and mature than its previous titles.

Overall the series has great production values, great presentation values and are really fun.  The sphere grid in FFX also forced you to use different types of weapons for each character as well as the fact that each character came with it's own predetermined type of weapons.

TanKLoveR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TanKLoveR
Member since 2004 • 5712 Posts
Well what i really like about FF games, the storyline, the graphics i love those CGI scenes :D, the music and the characters i really like em specially the characters from 7,8 and 10 they like this impression on u ^^? u always find a way to compare them with something else or u remember then playing other games, they are that good :D.
el_rika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 el_rika
Member since 2004 • 3474 Posts
Hey man, play FFXII, give it a chance. This game SCREAMS quality ! You won't find a higher quality JRPG anywhere else. They even replaced the hours of boring text based conversations that FFX (or any other RPG for that matter) has, with FULLY animated cutscenes, i mean A LOT of work went into the development of this game and it shows, so it's a real shame not to at least give it a chance.
ReD187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ReD187
Member since 2006 • 95 Posts
Its about preference. I bet you like GTA, which I think is highly overrated. But you might think its the greatest series ever.
Call_me_Saint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Call_me_Saint
Member since 2006 • 39 Posts
Okay, sorry, it came out wrong I didnt mean to say THIS GAME SUCKS BLAH BLAH BLAH.its just I dont like the turn base battle system, i like games like Kingom hearts, GoW, and a few others. (Gta was okay til I beat it than it just got boring.) Alotta people have told me that it has a great story line, i just cant get past the battle system. it annoys me, im not trying to say it sucks, and I played it for a little while, FF7 and it wasnt that bad actully after i got into it a little bit. but than I just gave it back n traded it for Scarface: the world is yours witch ive yet to play.
Avatar image for mike_likes_game
mike_likes_game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mike_likes_game
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Just because you dont like a game doesn't mean it sucks. lots of people play it, and enjoy it.

Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Terami
Member since 2004 • 3992 Posts
Okay, sorry, it came out wrong I didnt mean to say THIS GAME SUCKS BLAH BLAH BLAH.its just I dont like the turn base battle system, i like games like Kingom hearts, GoW, and a few others. (Gta was okay til I beat it than it just got boring.) Alotta people have told me that it has a great story line, i just cant get past the battle system. it annoys me, im not trying to say it sucks, and I played it for a little while, FF7 and it wasnt that bad actully after i got into it a little bit. but than I just gave it back n traded it for Scarface: the world is yours witch ive yet to play.Call_me_Saint
It's ok to have different tastes.  Just because many have enjoyed the Final Fantasy series doesn't mean everyone has to or will...
gunblade712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gunblade712

[QUOTE="Call_me_Saint"]Okay, sorry, it came out wrong I didnt mean to say THIS GAME SUCKS BLAH BLAH BLAH.its just I dont like the turn base battle system, i like games like Kingom hearts, GoW, and a few others. (Gta was okay til I beat it than it just got boring.) Alotta people have told me that it has a great story line, i just cant get past the battle system. it annoys me, im not trying to say it sucks, and I played it for a little while, FF7 and it wasnt that bad actully after i got into it a little bit. but than I just gave it back n traded it for Scarface: the world is yours witch ive yet to play.Terami
It's ok to have different tastes.  Just because many have enjoyed the Final Fantasy series doesn't mean everyone has to or will...

Yes, that is soo true...

I don't really like RE series, though many ppl say it is scary.. different ppl have different views, aye?

beauty is in the eye of the beholder..

gam3r3OOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gam3r3OOO
Member since 2003 • 1442 Posts

Ight, I played FF something i played it for like... 20 minutes n said it sucked my nuts.. its kool but i **** HATE the battle system iuno just picking your attack and watching your charactor do it was gay YOu cant move or nothing.. please tell me WHAT THE HELL IS SO GREAT ABOUT THIS GAME?Call_me_Saint

Answer: story, epic battles, summons, pretty CGI 

langrisser2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#33 langrisser2005
Member since 2004 • 2285 Posts

To me it's the whole experience of playing in these epic fantasy worlds with the huge story driven depths with the big journey you have throughout the game with the characters. Also helps when everything else comes together perfectly.

There was a feature with the Gamespot Staff about the Final Fantasy games and how they have influenced the gaming world not long ago, they pretty much sum it up why the series is so popular, my words are practically their's so check it out:

LINK
GuttersnipeMav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GuttersnipeMav
Member since 2004 • 378 Posts

Just like to say that I'm glad to see homophobia is alive and well at G-Spot. Well done, mods. Really, well done. 

Jsung8070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jsung8070
Member since 2007 • 305 Posts

well number 1 to 3 was absolute crap but 4 (which was originally gonna be their last game - hence why it was called Final Fantasy.... not Final Fantasy 4... well 4 and onwards, apart from xi had brilliantly created storylines and was a banchmark in animation.

it all just depends on your liking... i loved ffx cos it had a great storyline, great animation, cool minigames that were actually fun! (unlike ffvii who had minigames that were not only either erally easy or impossibly hard, but were just boring) and it was ctb! which is cool, i like the preparation too...

Jsung8070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jsung8070

yes...

no hard feelings aye?

gunblade712

well i CAN say one game is stupid... cant remember the name, but it was about some white guy who had to cross the screen while avoiding arrows (agonisingly easy) and rescueing the american indian girl on the other side, then having sec with her....

worst game ever!!!

Avatar image for rockguitarist89
rockguitarist89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rockguitarist89
Member since 2007 • 90 Posts

There's lots of good stuff about the games. And XII sucked. That was definitely the worst battle system I've ever played.

Jsung8070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jsung8070

after 2 pages of saying how you should say games suck... you come out wiht  ffxii sucked... -.-

and i miss the ctb in ffx... sure haste was sorta useless... but you guys have to seriously watch the gt trailers... get em off youtube, youd love em.

Avatar image for rockguitarist89
rockguitarist89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rockguitarist89
Member since 2007 • 90 Posts

Jsung, if you're talking to me get a life. I'm entitled to my opinion and your reason for critique of my original comment was uninteresting. Stop boring me please. And stop reading this message I'm writing to you.

super_police

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 super_police
Member since 2003 • 884 Posts

The series is popular because it is one of the first jrpgs to come out and has often been looked at as the blueprint for making rpgs.,  All the early breath of fire games and tales games etc. borrowed heavily from final fantasy's battle and menu and inventory systems.   At the same time, it has kept pushing certain innovations forward and has remained solid from the early days till now.

It is kind of a cop out to compare other jrpgs to ff, and many are even better than ff, however all of them to some extent owe thier existance to ff.

That is why it is lasting and popular.

By the same token that all platformers are compared at some level to mario, and all adventure games to zelda. 

gman56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 gman56
Member since 2004 • 6542 Posts
It's the games' wonderful story lines and characters that keep me coming back for more.
all_mint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 all_mint
Member since 2007 • 96 Posts

What is so good about FF?

ok let me get the list down..

- most of them has superb graphics

- very nice stories inside (no matter if the story line is linear or anythin..)

- most of them rpgs, and many people LOVE rpgs

- cool characters

- different features from one ff to another, giving player different tastes

- as it's tittle says, it is about Fantasy

- awesome musics

And well.. it is ff.. thats why it is good.. So I found it kinda "lame" for someone to play ff for only 20 mins (out of 40-50 or more hours) and complains that the game sucks. You should play it at least until half game, then you can speak out. And probably by that time you will understand why people like it so much :D

Jsung8070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jsung8070

Jsung, if you're talking to me get a life. I'm entitled to my opinion and your reason for critique of my original comment was uninteresting. Stop boring me please. And stop reading this message I'm writing to you.

rockguitarist89

huh? what the hell? just random flaming -.-