Joshy485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Joshy485
Member since 2007 • 316 Posts
I heard that if yuor cd's arent working you can just use toothpatse??Does this really work????
dante_123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 dante_123456
Member since 2005 • 15011 Posts
i don't think it actualy works, i've tryed it before, but i don't think it really helped
limelight022

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 limelight022
Member since 2003 • 136 Posts
Yes it works. Go on YouTube and search for it. After watching a video i tried it myself, and it gets rid of a lot of scratches. Not the deep ones though.
TheAbstrakt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 TheAbstrakt
Member since 2006 • 1736 Posts
Looks interesting, but I'm kind of scared to try it.
shiram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 shiram
Member since 2005 • 672 Posts

toothpaste is an abrasive, so your blending/sanding/eroding away the scratch so the light from the lens can go trough
im pretty sure it  could work, though havent tried it
i've used other principles to buff out scratches, and they all hinge on abrasion (sp?)

jarmenta20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jarmenta20
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Tried using toothpaste on a copy of Valkyrie Profile 2 that was acting buggy during cut-scenes. It left a bunch of light scratches on the surface, but the game runs perfect now.
Pumster76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Pumster76
Member since 2003 • 227 Posts
I've seen it done, but it just doesn't sound right to me - Think of the compounds you're dealing with and think about your CD. It simply doesn't sound very smart; The idiot that "spread that around" should be proud of themselves for fooling so many people. When you're done with a CD, leave it in the machine or return it to its jewel case. If you don't have any jewel cases, buy one of those CD Booklets.
tsduv21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 tsduv21
Member since 2007 • 2942 Posts
Never tried it.
Sprigain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 Sprigain
Member since 2006 • 3575 Posts
tooth paste to fix a CD?? i've never tried it, i don't think it would work,
beex215

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 beex215
Member since 2006 • 1198 Posts

toothpaste is an abrasive, so your blending/sanding/eroding away the scratch so the light from the lens can go trough
im pretty sure it could work, though havent tried it
i've used other principles to buff out scratches, and they all hinge on abrasion (sp?)

shiram

this is absolutely correct.its basicly getting a cheaper version of the "disk fixer" 

goalring27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 goalring27
Member since 2006 • 1693 Posts
i tryed it once and it worked but i was usually to lazy to keep scrubing for so long. u have to scrub the toothpaste with a cloth in a straight line up and down from the ring in the middle of the cd but u cant do a circle motion.
shiram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 shiram
Member since 2005 • 672 Posts

To anyone wondering abrasion does work to smooth out scratches and such on cd/dvd's
of course its a long process, wich requires patience and care
also, toothpaste might not be the best thing to use
but its basically the same process as resurfacing
just as long as the scratch is only deep enough to not touch the actual metal in the cd, and you make sure to not scrub away too much of the plastic

obviously this is a last resort method, and i wouldnt recommend it unless your willing to take that chance 

Joshy485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Joshy485
Member since 2007 • 316 Posts

Ive tryed it last nigt on san andreas cuz it only works for about 20 minutes.After using toothpast it actually worked for like 3 hours.I still dont know whether it was just a coincidence...

HotPeppers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 HotPeppers
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
you know i heard that on a radio station and i tried it cause 2 of my games were messed up and i just gave it a shot and they worked just fine make sure you use a super soft cloth though
dirktu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#15 dirktu
Member since 2005 • 717 Posts

Toothpaste doesn't really work that well. Try Brasso, that's probably the best. Although all this stuff will give minor scratches on your discs, so you should only use it when the game doesn't work anymore.

BTW, has anyone tried the more expensive repair methods (removing a layer of plastic, and adding an extra protective coating later)? Does this negatively influence the laser deflecting in the plastic layer? Is this any different for the GC laser than for the PS2 laser? My worst game is RE: CV-X on the Cube. Bought it new, but it was all scratched due to the way the shop stored their games. Luckily it works even without repairing....

Avatar image for garter_windwood
garter_windwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 garter_windwood
Member since 2007 • 512 Posts
I dunno I've never tried toothpaste personally but after my friend told me about peanut butter I tried it and it worked great on my old cd's.  Just use a dab of it and do the same as they said with the toothpaste trick, make sure it's creamy though or you could end up with problems lol.
race_suace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 race_suace
Member since 2006 • 1685 Posts
lol
F_Emblem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 F_Emblem
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Wow. That's weird :shock:

Never actually heard of that method myself, nor do I intend to try it. 

mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 mazing87
Member since 2004 • 3881 Posts

Well, thanks for telling us to simply buy fresh new/unopened games and not used ones (I'm not being sarcastic either).  I will never buy or trade for used games with a high possibility that someone used toothpaste on it.  Maybe some of you just need to take care of your belongings a little better.  That's an old fashioned method that will... well never get old.  I'm out

Â