frumpton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 frumpton
Member since 2004 • 541 Posts

Ok so heres the thing, I live in England and I want Tales of The Abyss. But it was never released over here. So i'm going to have to import it. Will it (being an American game) work on my english PS2?

I've wanted this badly since I learned of it's existence and after watching some movies of it on You tube. I love the Tales games.

drmvette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 drmvette
Member since 2007 • 157 Posts
i think it should, but get a second opinion.
super_police

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 super_police
Member since 2003 • 884 Posts

He cant use an american Ps2 unless he uses some sort of power converter, which may not be worth it.

Swap magic may be your best option, Ive considered getting it in the past, but after looking it over it seemed very suspicious and possibly harmful to my machine, so I settled for non-importing.

willxcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 willxcool
Member since 2006 • 2038 Posts
yeah not a problem but i dont think that the game Tales of The Abyss is not worth loking foward for unless you really really want it
mohmaaytah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 mohmaaytah
Member since 2003 • 2397 Posts

He cant use an american Ps2 unless he uses some sort of power converter, which may not be worth it.

Swap magic may be your best option, Ive considered getting it in the past, but after looking it over it seemed very suspicious and possibly harmful to my machine, so I settled for non-importing.

super_police

What has a step-down transformer got to do with playing NTSC games? It has nothing to do with compatibility, just the power requirements of the console which differ. If its about price, I got mine for £20 and must have saved hundreds by importing all my games.

John_Player555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 John_Player555
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

What has a step-down transformer got to do with playing NTSC games? It has nothing to do with compatibility, just the power requirements of the console which differ. If its about price, I got mine for £20 and must have saved hundreds by importing all my games.

NTSC and PAL not only use different refresh rates, but also a unique color system. So, if he decides to buy the NTSC version and play it on his PAL console, the game may not even display the picture on his TV. (if it´s not NTSC capable).

If you want a modded ps2, I´d recommend you import one from Brazil. They sell pre-modded consoles here, and, besides playing backups, the chips have some cool features, like correcting the color system from one region to another. It´s also a nice way to play imports. Some cool games have been released in Europe only (Shinobido, for ex) and I would never have tried it if wasn´t for the mods. Good luck!

mohmaaytah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mohmaaytah

NTSC and PAL not only use different refresh rates, but also a unique color system. So, if he decides to buy the NTSC version and play it on his PAL console, the game may not even display the picture on his TV. (if it´s not NTSC capable).

John_Player555

Yeah I know that but I thought all relatively modern TVs support both.

John_Player555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 John_Player555
Well, not in Europe. Some PAL releases have a 60hz mode for better refreshment and frame rates, but most games don´t show this feature.
mohmaaytah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mohmaaytah
I guess thats possible. I live in the UK and owned several sets and all were capable of running the consoles correctly regardless of format.
John_Player555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 John_Player555
That´s good for you. I live in Brazil and most TVs that are sold here use NTSC only, so it´s kind of a trouble to get a PAL game to be displayed correctly.