Help please!! Can anyone tell me if GOW and GOW2 will work on my old ps2?

joe99247330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 joe99247330
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Hey guys can anyone tell me if GOW and GOW2 will work on my pld ps2? my brother bought it about 6 or 7 yrs ago so its quite old. thanks!
Blackfriend8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Blackfriend8
Member since 2004 • 1982 Posts
i have a launch ps2 and both work fine on mine but i have been hearing people have problems with old ps2's.
kevass007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 kevass007
Member since 2006 • 725 Posts
any game still should, it's the same as the slim, but just bigger...unless your lens is dirty and you've been having problems,
Mosannam9696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mosannam9696
Member since 2004 • 229 Posts
I've seen this kind of post about 5 times now...whats the deal?  If its a PS2, then it will play PS2 games.  Really, the difference between the slimmer ones is that it has been "less-ified".  It actually has less to it than the older ones, so if anything, we should see posts asking if the newer ones will play god of war.
KingKoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 KingKoop
Member since 2005 • 4268 Posts

I've seen this kind of post about 5 times now...whats the deal?  If its a PS2, then it will play PS2 games.  Really, the difference between the slimmer ones is that it has been "less-ified".  It actually has less to it than the older ones, so if anything, we should see posts asking if the newer ones will play god of war.Mosannam9696

Technically it might not my mate borrowed I think at the time it was Smack Down vs Raw from my neighbour and his PS2 wouldn't play it at all. Mine worked fine with it, it just seemed like it was struggling to play/read it cos there was a lot of data. Depends on your luck sometimes I suppose.

But Joe, in answer to your question, yeah your PS2 will play it fine unless your PS2 is making really dodgy sounds or something I'd say it'll be fine. GoW aren't long games.

mac906

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mac906
Member since 2005 • 22536 Posts
I have a pretty old PS2, it's not a launch one, but both games work just fine.
gazoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gazoz
Member since 2005 • 1717 Posts
i have a launch ps2 and get the great chasm glitch with gow2. stupid icarus hiding under the brigde won't come up.
vivalabaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 vivalabaz
Member since 2006 • 70 Posts

I've seen this kind of post about 5 times now...whats the deal?  If its a PS2, then it will play PS2 games.  Really, the difference between the slimmer ones is that it has been "less-ified".  It actually has less to it than the older ones, so if anything, we should see posts asking if the newer ones will play god of war.Mosannam9696

Again, not true. Some of the newer games reportedly have an extra layer built into the disc and older PS2 drives can't read them. From experience these discs are USUALLY the ones with the blue underside. However, its not ALL of these discs that have the extra layer. My PS2 is in excess of 6 years old and I couldn't play either of the Lego Star Wars games because my PS2 couldn't read the disc.

Mosannam9696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mosannam9696
Member since 2004 • 229 Posts

[QUOTE="Mosannam9696"]I've seen this kind of post about 5 times now...whats the deal?  If its a PS2, then it will play PS2 games.  Really, the difference between the slimmer ones is that it has been "less-ified".  It actually has less to it than the older ones, so if anything, we should see posts asking if the newer ones will play god of war.vivalabaz

Again, not true. Some of the newer games reportedly have an extra layer built into the disc and older PS2 drives can't read them. From experience these discs are USUALLY the ones with the blue underside. However, its not ALL of these discs that have the extra layer. My PS2 is in excess of 6 years old and I couldn't play either of the Lego Star Wars games because my PS2 couldn't read the disc.

But I have BOTH of those games and have beat BOTH of them on a launch PS2.  Sometimes they just break down after a while.  They are still the same system.
Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts
I have an older PS2 and it wouldn't work at first. Then, I opened up my PS2, cleaned the lens, and put two 1 inch pieces of scoth tape on top of the hole and it works fine now!
apocalypse9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 apocalypse9999
Member since 2005 • 121 Posts
many friends of  mine have the old ps2 and nobody have problems with god of war
Silvaryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Silvaryn
Member since 2004 • 294 Posts
   Again, not true. Some of the newer games reportedly have an extra layer built into the disc and older PS2 drives can't read them. From experience these discs are USUALLY the ones with the blue underside. However, its not ALL of these discs that have the extra layer. My PS2 is in excess of 6 years old and I couldn't play either of the Lego Star Wars games because my PS2 couldn't read the disc.vivalabaz

Quite a bit of misinformation there. Most PS2 games are on standard DVDs. PS2 discs with a blue underside are CD-ROM based games, rather than DVD based. And some larger or newer PS2 games are on dual-layer DVD-9 disc format.

Both the CD-ROM based games and the dual-layer DVD based games require that a PS2's laser be fairly precise and in good working order. If it's not, one or the other of those types of discs are often the first to show the symptoms of a problem, usually before you have any trouble with standard DVD games. So disc read errors with CD-ROM and/or dual-layer games are the first warning sign for most people that something is up with their PS2's laser -- whether its something as simple as just needing a lens cleaning, or a more serious problem.

Contrary to common misconception, it does not matter what model of PS2 you have -- whether it's slim or fat, old or new, black or silver, or anything else like that. All models of PS2 will play every disc format when they're clean and working properly. And any models can have problems when they are not clean and working properly. So one person's launch PS2 may have problems with certain discs due to its individual condition, but another person's launch PS2 from the very same production run may have no problems at all. The exception to the above are those very few games which the later Playstation 2 Slim models do have compatibility problems with, as listed by Sony. Other than those games, there are no games or formats that won't work in a particular model of PS2. Whether a game will work in a person's individual PS2 or not depends not on what model or age it is, but on what kind of shape it's in, and whether it is clean and still working as it should.

solid_krash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 solid_krash
Member since 2005 • 219 Posts

i have a launch ps2 and get the great chasm glitch with gow2. stupid icarus hiding under the brigde won't come up.gazoz

I have the same problem, stupid icarus.....

the_hsoj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 the_hsoj
Member since 2006 • 1289 Posts

Hey guys can anyone tell me if GOW and GOW2 will work on my pld ps2? my brother bought it about 6 or 7 yrs ago so its quite old. thanks!joe99247330

It should but you might want to borrow a friends copy or rent to make sure 

jakedogg14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jakedogg14
Member since 2003 • 665 Posts
Uhhhhhhh......yes?
darthbater101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 darthbater101
Member since 2005 • 93 Posts
I have a 5 y/o Ps2 and its the one Ive always had. I have never had any problems with it. I bought GoW2 and played through the whole game without a glitch. Ohh and the slim lines cant play certain games, something to do with the Bios or memory overload. I believe Tekken 5 is one of them, for example. Gamespot has an article on it. The older ones play all games.
Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts
It may freeze once in every century. Mine only freezed once. Also, dont know if its the PS or not, but there are parts very few, that freeze the screen with "Now Loading... " below for just a few seconds. But it will work great. Both of them. Now go and get them!!! What are you doing waiting.
MrHarime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MrHarime
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

i have a launch ps2 and get the great chasm glitch with gow2. stupid icarus hiding under the brigde won't come up.gazoz

Yeah i have the same prob too. I went to the store and they say it's the distributor's fault.

Anyway, do u guys live in Malaysia or something like that?

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts
see if you can watch dvds they should work then
washb28879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 washb28879
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
I have one with a hdd drive, (launch) and it works fine, you just have take reallly good of it.
hart704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hart704
Member since 2004 • 2994 Posts
Why wouldn't it work? Unless your system is shot, I don't see why not.