Two400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 Two400
Member since 2006 • 2787 Posts
Why does everyone like this game??  The junction system is horrible.  I think people only liked it because it had graphics that made the characters look older.  But essentially the storyline and gameplay weren't any better than 6, if not worse.  In fact, I like the deformed characters better than the realistic ones.  There was nothing in FF8 that pushed the series forward.  It was just another save the world and fall in love with the girl storyline.  You can get that in 9, yet no one respects 9 at all.  
Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Terami
Member since 2004 • 3992 Posts
...Different strokes for different folks.
justiceboy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#3 justiceboy13
Member since 2004 • 11295 Posts
I love watching you FF nerds argue amongst yourselves about which game is best and worst. I find it quite entertaining. Almost as entertaining as watching Zelda fanboys argue about Wind Waker, and timeline theories.
darkside646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 darkside646
Member since 2005 • 1086 Posts
opinion noted.
abodaghee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 abodaghee
Member since 2005 • 207 Posts
ya, it wasn;t all that good.  BUT, then again id rather play 8 then that god awful 12!!  wow!!
=)
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#6 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
XII was good.
LinkinFate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LinkinFate
Member since 2004 • 476 Posts
I liked it... its just very different compared to the other FF's.. so was FF12.
sumarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 sumarr
Member since 2006 • 944 Posts
I got to the end of the second disc and never played it again. Just didn't do it for me. Fighting the summons was alright but it just didn't do it for me. I loved 7 and 9 though.
BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
I didn't like the junction system, everything else about this game is top-notch. Great graphics, sound, story, characters, FMVs, you name it.
nice1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nice1
Member since 2003 • 589 Posts
ff8 was awsome to me: gf's, limit breaks, the boss battles. ff9 was plain out terrible
Avatar image for hellsing6666666
hellsing6666666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hellsing6666666
Member since 2006 • 195 Posts
FF7 was the best out of all the ffs enough said did any of the others get a movie i dont think so
RedDraco66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RedDraco66
Member since 2005 • 1682 Posts
all you need is a couple lvl 15 Guardian forces to beat the game..plus Squalls lionheart and then the game becomes a complete breeze. The junction system was innovative, but if i didnt kill the last boss in 15 minutes, i think i woul have liked it more
verdugoRE4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

#13 verdugoRE4
Member since 2006 • 2389 Posts
I thought it was an excellent game. even though it was the only one i ever played, and at 10 bucks too!:D It was more than worth my money.
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts
FF8 was good, bad leveling up/junction system. FF7 was good, not the greatest.
AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AtelierFan
Member since 2006 • 1544 Posts
Everygame is cool in its own regard -- we all have favorites. The thing I think is funny is that if someone posts a "This game sucks!", lots of responses are posted. Yet if a respectful post if put up, not as many people are interested.
enormousaxie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 enormousaxie
Member since 2006 • 9366 Posts
I think it's a pretty good Final Fantasy game...
Hotwad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hotwad
Member since 2006 • 1146 Posts
I second that it was the worst FF IMO. BUT, i have not played a bad FF yet...so take that how you want it.
ubila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ubila
Member since 2006 • 926 Posts
I thought it was a good game in some respects. The story was pretty decent for a while but just didn't seem to have a lasting appeal. I didn't like the characters though, Squall seemed to be the only decent one, everyone else was pretty bleh and i mean bleh. The fmvs were great and redeemed it a bit because you would be waiting for the next fmv to role around. I guess because it was a huge step up from 7 in the graphics department but that would be about it. I wouldn't say it is the worst FF ever. 9 wasn't exactly the creme de la creme of the FF series, but it is a toss up between those two for the worst, for the Sony series anyway.
Thomas-Crown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Thomas-Crown
Member since 2006 • 30371 Posts

...Different strokes for different folks.Terami

Nice...

:D

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#21 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
I liked FF8 because of the new card game, the new limit break system, and the junction system overall. The graphics were just icing on the cake, so I'm not sure where you got that from.
EvanSkanes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 EvanSkanes
Member since 2004 • 10942 Posts
You're on crack buddy.
Coldplay07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Coldplay07
Member since 2002 • 4513 Posts
You said no one respects 9 at all. It's my favorite and I've read on these boards that a few others consider it their favorite as well. I haven't played through 8 but I know I wouldn't like it as much from what I have played and seen.
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#24 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

Why does everyone like this game??  The junction system is horrible.  I think people only liked it because it had graphics that made the characters look older.  But essentially the storyline and gameplay weren't any better than 6, if not worse.  In fact, I like the deformed characters better than the realistic ones.  There was nothing in FF8 that pushed the series forward.  It was just another save the world and fall in love with the girl storyline.  You can get that in 9, yet no one respects 9 at all.  Two400

you don't like it? ok. Everyone has different opinons.

I love FF VIII. Know why? characters. They all had diverse personalitys. Making them feel more then just sprites. I loved the battle system as well, and the graphics, and the music etc. It's my favorite.

nekootoko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 nekootoko
Member since 2006 • 189 Posts
Top 5: 9, 1, 4, 7, 12.
But that's just my opinion.
Fumetsu_cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Fumetsu_cloud
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
My Top is 8,9,5,12 I probably didn't like FF7 as much as 8 because I played it about a few years after it came out. I liked 8 for the battle system and all the characters had pretty awesome limit breaks. 8 and 9 are probably the only fantasy games in which I used the summons in 10 and pretty much all the other games they were far to weak (in my opinion) to be required in boss battles. Why use a summon when an attack does the same damage if not more in less amount of time. Also, the last boss wasn't really meant to be hard if you really wanted a hard boss you should've fought Omega Weapon without using those cheap holy wars. Overall I think all the fantasy games were a success in their own right, except probably x-2 which I kind of got the impression that it followed a sailor moon episode ^_^. As much as anybody rags on ff8 i'm still going to like it for the fact that it was the first FF game I ever played when I was 9 or so and I'm looking forward to FFXIII on the ps3.
langrisser2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#27 langrisser2005
Member since 2004 • 2285 Posts
Only thing I didn't like about Final Fantasy VIII was the junction & battle system, though I wouldn't rate it anywhere as the worst, I found IX boring, I played it a while but the story was just so meh I quit during the second disc.
Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts
Actually the junction system would have been amazing if not for the whole "draw" mechanic which I abhorred..that brought it down to "OK" for me. But the draw system at least was used creatively (you drew out most summons in the game in fact) and the fact that spells had a certain number of uses stored instead of just running on MP actually made the game a bit harder (whether good or bad, you decide). Personally I think the character design is the best in Final Fantasy and that the story works reasonably well. Out of all Final Fantasies Mystic Quest I believe is the worst...out of the numbered ones I believe that would go to FFX at least according to my experience with the series.
set_the_stage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 set_the_stage
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
FF8 was a great game it just had a few flaws which could of been fixed
eg. leveling up, you only needed 1000 exp points to get to the next level each time
it just made the game not as challenging as i would like, i had my main 3 characters up to lvl 100 by the 2nd disc
the junction wasnt that flash either
SoulSlayer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SoulSlayer_
Member since 2005 • 3426 Posts
eg. leveling up, you only needed 1000 exp points to get to the next level each time
it just made the game not as challenging as i would like, i had my main 3 characters up to lvl 100 by the 2nd disc
set_the_stage
Unless you go overboard with leveling (like you did), leveling for no reason should actually make the game harder because monsters and bosses level too. I always tried to keep a low level by killing every monster I walked into but never looking for more which made this one of the easiest FFs for me. Well I never really liked FFVIII. Don't like the story and setting, I hate Squall and could never bring myself to give a damn about any of the characters in it. But the junction system is OK IMO. Next time I'll just remind myself not to skip tutorials... I'd say FFIX is my favorite PS1 FF game.
Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#31 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts
ur right it is the worse ( i don't count FFX-2) but it's still an amazing game, I loved the story a lot 
yungswift44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 yungswift44
Member since 2003 • 1614 Posts
i dotn agree, this ons probaly my favorite and i fell into the stroy and felt for the characters the most, i also loved the junction system, all of tem besides ffx and ffx2 were great to me, im in love with ff12 right now, you intitllesd to your opinion but to make it seem like a bad game is blasphemy lol
rli_123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 rli_123
Member since 2006 • 864 Posts
FFX was a great game...good times.
staindcoldlp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 staindcoldlp
Member since 2004 • 15121 Posts

You my friend are mistaken.

It's FF VII that is the worst one.

Nightshade1188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Nightshade1188
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Final Fantasy VIII had the most enthralling storyline of the final fantasies i have played. I though IX, X, X-2, and VI (didn't like the system in VI) were all crap. Fun but crap. VII is my personal fave just because it is my first and I have memorized the entire game and how to get through it. VIII when I played suck me in. I was glued to the game in some parts. Although I was confused by the system and I didn't understand it because I don't pay attention to tutorials. V is my current favorite. It has the job class system and I love it. Tactics is ok in terms of job classes. Tactics Advance is crap because of the law system. All in all all of the Final Fantasies are good in their own way. They defined the RPG genre.
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Runningflame570
FFX was a great game...good times.rli_123
Replace great with good and I may be able to agree...maybe. There are so many things broken about FFX though from the ultra-linear design, the overall mediocre voice-acting, the overuse of FMV, the lack of difficulty in the vast majority of bosses I fought in the game, the character design of Tidus, Wakka, and Rikku, the dependence upon Aeons, and the mostly disappointing story.

Without FMVs the story of that game would be worthless and with them it wasn't much better..it was worse in some points because of them especially since they were so common at points you just wanted to get on with the game but were afraid of missing an important plot element. Thats not to say there weren't some good moments but most of the time it was a yawn-fest. Okay..scratch great, try mediocre-bad.
Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#37 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts
Why does everyone like this game?? The junction system is horrible. I think people only liked it because it had graphics that made the characters look older. But essentially the storyline and gameplay weren't any better than 6, if not worse. In fact, I like the deformed characters better than the realistic ones. There was nothing in FF8 that pushed the series forward. It was just another save the world and fall in love with the girl storyline. You can get that in 9, yet no one respects 9 at all. Two400

Why does everyone like Halo? Cliche story, lame weapons, bad character.
Why does everyone like Gears? or Tony Hawk, or Kingdom Hearts? or Tekken?or FF VII? Or X, which is the worst FF? Im not going to mention what I dont like about every game and so you should do the same, its tastes what makes the difference.
shawnoconner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 shawnoconner
Member since 2005 • 135 Posts
set_the_stage
whatever,i had to hunt down hex dragons near the end of the game for hours just to max out my characters. the junction system was cool too. everyone says it sux just cause it was something new they added. i liked it all. that's just my opionion though,and i say 9 was the worst. oh yeah, THERE'S ONLY ROOM FOR ONE TRUE PRINCE OF ALL SAYIANS.......BOW TO ME KAKAROT!!!
alch3mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 alch3mist
Member since 2006 • 1162 Posts

Final Fantasy 8 was so damn cool. ff9 and ff7 are tight as well. My fav is ff7 then 10,8,9 and then 12 for right now. It could change. I need to beat ff8 i'm on the third dics all i need one more final weapon to move on. FF8 had a lot of good things. The junction and draw thing was ok IMO but i love characters and stroyline is great.

FF10 was good love everything about it same with 9 and 7. I want fall in love with 12 as well

ovni_666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ovni_666
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="Two400"]Why does everyone like this game?? The junction system is horrible. I think people only liked it because it had graphics that made the characters look older. But essentially the storyline and gameplay weren't any better than 6, if not worse. In fact, I like the deformed characters better than the realistic ones. There was nothing in FF8 that pushed the series forward. It was just another save the world and fall in love with the girl storyline. You can get that in 9, yet no one respects 9 at all. kenshinhimura16

Why does everyone like Halo? Cliche story, lame weapons, bad character.
Why does everyone like Gears? or Tony Hawk, or Kingdom Hearts? or Tekken?or FF VII? Or X, which is the worst FF? Im not going to mention what I dont like about every game and so you should do the same, its tastes what makes the difference.

Let me tell you why everyone likes these games you've said: gameplay and presentation. I think that's basically what makes a game likable. You have a tight presentation with little or no flaws and a tight gameplay, what else would you want? Of course you can add a lot more to that, like story, some innovation, likeable caracters and stuff. But these kind of games with something extra are so rare that you see only a couple of games like that per system. And thats only when people like Myiamoto or Kojima have a bright idea and have full time dedication on a game. The sad part is that is becoming more and more rare, as sequels are guaranteed money for softwarehouses. See FFX... that game was really, really disppointing to me... not to mention x-2...
PopSuperFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 PopSuperFly
Member since 2006 • 44 Posts
every final fantasy game is bad, i don't know why they are still making them.
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Runningflame570
every final fantasy game is bad, i don't know why they are still making them.PopSuperFly
Most main-franchise FFs are at least decent, some are exceedingly good (heres a hint: they're older ones). But if you are including the off-shoots and games branded with Final Fantasy (such as Final Fantasy Tactics, and Legend) most are very good. As for why they are still making them? They make them lots and lots of money. Final Fantasy is a guaranteed sale for quite a few people, even Mystic Quest did pretty well.
outbreak201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#43 outbreak201
Member since 2005 • 8372 Posts
final fantasy tactics owns all .....
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Runningflame570
final fantasy tactics owns all .....outbreak201
Yes, yes it does..but the Gameboy Advance one is far inferior to the PS1 original. Thats one reason I'm suggesting DS owners don't get too horribly excited about the new game which sounds like it will draw from the GBA game.
outbreak201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#45 outbreak201
Member since 2005 • 8372 Posts
[QUOTE="outbreak201"]final fantasy tactics owns all .....Runningflame570
Yes, yes it does..but the Gameboy Advance one is far inferior to the PS1 original. Thats one reason I'm suggesting DS owners don't get too horribly excited about the new game which sounds like it will draw from the GBA game.

psp is also getting one....hopefully it will be just like the ps1 version ...if not better since psp is like a PS 1.75
Avatar image for paranoiasurviva
paranoiasurviva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46 paranoiasurviva
Member since 2004 • 13621 Posts
Dude.... Squall > all FF main characters.
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Runningflame570
[QUOTE="Runningflame570"][QUOTE="outbreak201"]final fantasy tactics owns all .....outbreak201

psp is also getting one....hopefully it will be just like the ps1 version ...if not better since psp is like a PS 1.75

Actually that is a remake, it does have at least one new job class though (Onion Knight, whatever the heck that is) and I expect that the total may end up being around 20 classes. They've also got anime cutscenes (which I'm a bit dubious about) and I'm certain theres other things as well. Really, I just pray they get the translation done better than last time and that the secret side-quests are kept in-tact, though I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be.

Dude.... Squall > all FF main characters.paranoiasurviva

QFMSoaPT!
seprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 seprah
Member since 2006 • 120 Posts
in my opinion ffX is the best and ffdirge of cerberus is the worst in series although the character is awesome.
gmw1082

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 gmw1082
Member since 2003 • 673 Posts
I personally didn't care for FF8 but there are plenty of people that did enjoy it. 
Nicodesu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 Nicodesu
Member since 2005 • 154 Posts
Every FF has a different flavor and not every game will appeal to every gamer. That's it. Ever since the first Final Fantasy on the NES I've been playing the series and I believe they're all pretty good games.