El_Esbirro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 0

#1 El_Esbirro
Member since 2006 • 355 Posts

Yesterday i was reading one of those GAMER magazines...and i felt this awful feeling i was getting sucked in, and basically forced to buy a next-gen system.  All the good games that get your attention, are all next gen systems.  And yes, i know that the new wave of consoles is now, but still the ps2 ain't dead. As a matter of fact, the best selling system still to this day, is the ps2...so why forget about it so quickly??  when the ps3 came out, more people bought ps2 consoles, so why the rush??

If what they want is for everyone get a next-gen console please, lower the price, quality games and we are all happy...but don't start bombarding us with this subliminal propaganda in order for us to buy your pricey consoles.  Yes, it's been like 6 or 7 years since the ps2 debut and upgrades need to be made, but The ps2 saved sony's christmas sales this past year, have some respect for the ps2.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

Yesterday i was reading one of those GAMER magazines...and i felt this awful feeling i was getting sucked in, and basically forced to buy a next-gen system.  All the good games that get your attention, are all next gen systems.  And yes, i know that the new wave of consoles is now, but still the ps2 ain't dead. As a matter of fact, the best selling system still to this day, is the ps2...so why forget about it so quickly??  when the ps3 came out, more people bought ps2 consoles, so why the rush??

If what they want is for everyone get a next-gen console please, lower the price, quality games and we are all happy...but don't start bombarding us with this subliminal propaganda in order for us to buy your pricey consoles.  Yes, it's been like 6 or 7 years since the ps2 debut and upgrades need to be made, but The ps2 saved sony's christmas sales this past year, have some respect for the ps2.

El_Esbirro

Well I thought the Wii was the best selling system right now ? I still do have my PS2 and I am enjoying the God of War II right now but the thing is I think they got released to soon as the software needs to catch up, but when the software catches up I tell you everyone will try hard to get their hands on PS3. I want one but the fact that I don't have a HDTV yet makes me not rush, but if i had the HDTV I would be eager to get one.

slinkysi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 slinkysi
Member since 2006 • 462 Posts

El_Esbirro

Dude I just got a PS3, and i wish i waited, there's no decent games yet, and it just sits there now. Just playing gow2.

Wait don't feel preasured.

shiram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 shiram
Member since 2005 • 672 Posts

Of course they are gonne cram the ps3 down our throats, its their new "flagship". They dont need to plublicize the ps2 as much, the owner base is already there

that being said, i probably wont buy a next gen console for at least 2 years, i want a stable console, where they have worked out the flaws, and an established game pool, with develloppers knowing how to pull out all the power of the console

early adopters are only paying more money to wait on games and have more chance of faulty consoles 

ErrorOfRuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ErrorOfRuto
Member since 2007 • 43 Posts
In short, don't believe the hype.

For me there are just too many reasons to not buy a next-gen system now, and too many great games on PS2 for me to hang it up. I haven't been playing PS2 for that long so its all still pretty new to me, but I have actually been playing more PS1 games recently which are nearly a decade old and aren't any less fun now.

I think its best to choose a console closer to the end of its cycle; everything is much less expensive, there are way more games to choose from, you can pick the console that has the games you want to play (not the one you think is going to get the games in a few years), and you will be buying later revision hardware after all the bugs have been worked out. Its going to be years before I buy a new console; but unless there is a game out which you are just dying to play, I would reccomend you wait a while, your end of the deal only stands to get much better. 
Shifty_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shifty_Pete
Member since 2004 • 2678 Posts

Generally, as space in those magazines is sold to companies that want to promote their product. Can you imagine Sony (or anyone else) buying ad space and using it to say "you don't really need our product. Wait a while on it." ? Don't get me wrong--I'm a late adopter myself, but you can't expect a company not to try to move their product, and if everybody waited to buy the console until it was cheaper and there was more games, that would never happen.

If people don't buy the product initially, the manufacturer never makes up the money in R&D, manufacturing, and marketing. That makes it impossible to drop the price. If nobody buys the console, no 3rd parties make games for it, leading to less incentive for customers to buy.

Late adopters like myself have to remember that early adopters basically subsidize our gaming, and we should always be grateful to them.

Avatar image for raditz_the_dude
raditz_the_dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 raditz_the_dude
Member since 2006 • 127 Posts
That's called hype, my friend. Due to the rising costs of game development, transitions between generations are shrinking. Despite their promise of continued support, Nintendo let the GameCube die sometime last year. (In 2006, the GameCube recieved around 50 titles in the US, the only high-profile game being Twilight Princess.) Besides Madden 08, the X-Box has absolutely nothing on the horizon; IGN's "Release Dates" page has only 6 titles listed! However, the PS2 actually still has a quite a few games left in it. Chances are, you haven't played the best the console has to offer, and there are plenty of worthwhile titles left in Sony's Release List. The question is how much time you personally want to spend with the console. If you don't mind staying behind for a little while, enjoy the PS2; It is the best console since the NES, after all. (I have to stop saying that.) As far as buying a new console goes, people continue to buy them even late in the generation. Basically, it's never too late if you find games you want to play. I personally think it's best to wait for the game libraries to expand before investing in a next-gen console. These machines have never been more expensive, and, therefore, it makes sense to wait for the big-name releases before deciding.
Hardcore_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Hardcore_81
Member since 2006 • 742 Posts

El_Esbirro

Noone's forcing you. If you're happy with good ol' PS2 then all is well. Right?

El_Esbirro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#9 El_Esbirro
Member since 2006 • 355 Posts

Don't get me wrong am currently having a blast with both my gamecube and ps2 (45+games with both libraries put together), but i just needed to vent some of the frustration i received from reading the mags.  And yes, i know its all about the hyping up your newest console, but i just felt like everything was directed on "you MUST buy" a next-gen console...which is the main point of advertising the next-gen consoles...but huh i dunno man. It didn't feel right .

Oh well, right now am enjoying blasting the heck out of some terrorist on BLACK, so i don't need to worry about that anymore.

Chris-Hansen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Chris-Hansen
Member since 2007 • 685 Posts
when MGS4 comes out you wont feel pushed, you will feel feel like a nuke went off behind you and you are airborne.
max6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 max6
Member since 2003 • 36 Posts
 ofcourse not.... i got all the games to keep me happy..for now that is....if what your already playen is fun, why go next gen so quickly?... wate till the prices go down...