Nboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Nboy84
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I just got a 50" 720p TV. I don't even know what the PS2 can dish out. Can it even put out 720p and are component cables worth it for a PS2, or just a gimmick to make me think that it will be very good quality.

I also have a ps2 to S-video cable, is this going to be as good as buying the component cables?

Rock-City

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Rock-City
Member since 2004 • 1533 Posts

I just got a 50" 720p TV. I don't even know what the PS2 can dish out. Can it even put out 720p and are component cables worth it for a PS2, or just a gimmick to make me think that it will be very good quality.

I also have a ps2 to S-video cable, is this going to be as good as buying the component cables?

Nboy84

The answer to the last part of your post is an absolute no! Component looks leagues superior to s-video, esp when you take PS2 games like Soul Calibur 3, Tekken 5, The God of War games, Guilty Gear X2 into consideration. Even with games that don't use a type of progressive scanning tend to look much more defined with component cables. Not sure if the PS2 can put out 720p though.

Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Terami
Member since 2004 • 3992 Posts
[QUOTE="Nboy84"]

Rock-City

The answer to the last part of your post is an absolute no! Component looks leagues superior to s-video, esp when you take PS2 games like Soul Calibur 3, Tekken 5, The God of War games, Guilty Gear X2 into consideration. Even with games that don't use a type of progressive scanning tend to look much more defined with component cables. Not sure if the PS2 can put out 720p though.

The PS2 can do 525p.  I play on an LCD and have used component cables for quite some time.  They are worth it as they make the colours more vibrant and the picture much more clearer.  It's also worth noting that using component cable for the PS2 can also show more graphic flaws in non-progressive games, especially older titles.
darkchaostitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 darkchaostitan
Member since 2006 • 621 Posts
How did you test the progressive scan to the PS2? Ususally component cables come in three types; interlaced, progressive and broadband. Interlaced is the worst to use for its refresh rate leaves the entirety of the pixels to be scanned and runs at 480i; progressive runs on a low level HDTV called EDTV and refreses the pixels at an alternating rate of even and odd(also it runs on 480p or 720i; and finally broadband component cables run at 720p. Now my question about component cables is what level do they run on, and if all component cables function on the same level.
CastleBomb44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CastleBomb44
Member since 2005 • 416 Posts
Well..... If it changes your decision I think the component cables are compatible with a ps3. Personally I would buy some from a store bring it home and try to see the difference if I didn't see a difference worth it I would return em'. Thats just me, I want to see it first had.
Delita_Hyral7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Delita_Hyral7
Member since 2004 • 438 Posts
the difference you might not even notice it will be miniscule
Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Terami

How did you test the progressive scan to the PS2? Ususally component cables come in three types; interlaced, progressive and broadband. Interlaced is the worst to use for its refresh rate leaves the entirety of the pixels to be scanned and runs at 480i; progressive runs on a low level HDTV called EDTV and refreses the pixels at an alternating rate of even and odd(also it runs on 480p or 720i; and finally broadband component cables run at 720p. Now my question about component cables is what level do they run on, and if all component cables function on the same level.darkchaostitan
I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're saying here.  The component cables themselves are capable of doing everything from 480i to 1080p.  The refresh rate as to do with the display you're using.  If you're using an EDTV, you'll only ever get interlaced resolutions.  HDTV's are where you get progressive resolutions as well as interlaced. 

The differences between them?  Interlaced refreshes every second line every 30 seconds.  Progressive refresses every line every 30 seconds.  Progressive obviously being a better picture quality.  And I don't believe the PS2 can output 720i.  Come to think of it, I've never even heard of that resolution in practice.

ErrorOfRuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ErrorOfRuto
Member since 2007 • 43 Posts

If you have already hooked up your PS2 to your new tv and are happy with the results, then I would recommend the component cables because they should make things look even better. Otherwise, I would recommend hooking it up with your s-video cable first to see what you think of your games at 50" before buying any new cables.

With the exception of one game that I know of, (GT4) 480p is the highest resolution you will get with a PS2. This is only available on the relatively few games that have progressive support. The majority of PS2 games (including many of the best ones) support neither 480p or 16:9 widescreen, so the graphics will be slightly blurrier, and you will either have to stretch or pillar-box the image for a widescreen display.

If you have ever seen a magazine under a microscope you know that it starts to look more like a bunch of dots than a clear image. PS2 games are similar, and some of them don't hold up well when enlarged beyond certain sizes. At 50" the graphics are probably going to look chunky and pixelated the same way 320x240 PSX games do on normal tvs.

I'm not saying its all bad, even with magnified flaws, games like Shadow of the Colossus, God of War, or Burnout on a big widescreen hdtv are going to be awesome. It may end up being a trade off between the few games that are really fun to play that large, and the other games that may not look as good.

I personally think the PS2 looks best on small standard resolution (480i) tvs, but then again that's also something I tell myself so I wont be tempted to spend money on a better display.

EDIT: I think EDTV means 480p maximum, which will display progressive scan signals but not HDTV resolutions (720p, 1080i). As far as I know component cables do all function on the same level, (although some may have slightly better signal quality than others) and like Terami said, should transmit any signal between 480i and 1080p.

Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Terami

With the exception of one game that I know of, (GT4) 480p is the highest resolution you will get with a PS2.  ErrorOfRuto

I can think of two games off the top of my head that support 525p... Soul Calibur III and Tomb Raider Legends.  To be brutally honest, I really don't think anyone could actually see the difference between 480p and 525p, I know I can't.

I wasn't aware of EDTV supporting 480p...  I learn something new every day. :)