Should Persona 5 have a more Action-RPG Feel?

Sean_Doorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Sean_Doorman
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

As a fan of gaming, i can accept change. Saints Row 2 to Saints Row 3, Any of the Final Fantasy compaired to its sequals and beyond. Now if you read the title, its not that i dont like the current Persona Combat System, i like it alot, but if you play Persona 2 then go to Persona 3, their Combat systems are diffrent, so here's what im trying to say. Persona 1 and 2 had the same system, Persona 3 and 4 changed from the orginals, but what if Persona 5 and 6 had an Action RPG feel (Kingdom Hearts, Dragon's Dogma for some Examples).

Like when you go into a dungeon you'd encounter enemies as you would in Persona 4 and you go into the battle area, but now you can move your character around, summon your Persona's, order your team to roles and much more. For Example, say theirs MC (You), Naoto, Yukiko and Kanji on your team (Throwing out examples, dont know if they would be in) You could Order Kanji to be the main damage dealer along with you (If you chose to be one), Naoto would be more of a long range fighter with her gun doing damage from a distance and of course Yukiko as your main healer. all that would be accessable in a "Roles" tab somewhere, and you can change your Roles Instantly in a Final Fantasy XIII Esque sort of way, so when you would change, MC would be a Healer (Assuming they make MC a Wlid Card in Persona 5) Yukiko Switches to long range fighter with her Fire Attacks and Naoto and Kanji as the Main Damage Dealers.

Persona's would be Accessed in a "Persona" tab, there you can Select your persona (Again, Assuming MC is a Wild Card) this would be like the "Summons" Tab from Kingdom Hearts. and in order to use your Persona's Abilities, there would be an "Abilities" Tab the would give you your skills that you can use.

Im not saying 'This Should Be in the game" Rather its an idea that popped into my head and thought i would share it, i would be happy if they stayed with the Current with just some tweeks, but i would also welcome a change in formula. Thank you for Reading

Tetsujin182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Tetsujin182
Member since 2004 • 26 Posts
In a word, no. As much as I liked Dragon's Dogma, I still believe that JRPG should stick more to the traditional RPG style than going western. I like the aspect of having total control over my party members. And by default, you lose that party control in western style RPGs. Yeah, sure they could take the KOTOR route and allow you to control everyone, but doing that just ends up being a pain to essentially pause the game to issue commands. Loved Persona's system. However, I agree that it could be refined or even made more complex.
Shadow_jdct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Shadow_jdct
Member since 2003 • 72 Posts

Absolutely not. What you describe reminds me of FFXIII and the thought of that game has brought flecks of vomit into my mouth. I want to input every command for every spell or action directly as in past games, in a turn-based order, and anything other than this would leave me disappointed.

Honestly I would rather see them evolve the battle system from 4 to 5 about as much as it changed from 3 to 4. Slight improvements.

Rizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#4 Rizer
Member since 2003 • 986 Posts

I like action RPGs, but there are plenty of them out there. In fact the good rehashed versions of the battle planning style of the old school JRPGs is actually becoming harder to find on the home consoles as each generation goes by. Persona has managed to retain an older gamestyle by making it require players to utilize strategy to survive combat instead of simply level grinding. For me Persona 3 and 4 combat was more about developing battle plans on fly (a little like chess) than it was about finding that win all weapon or level. Everything was about discovering strengths and weaknesses, sure leveling gave you an edge, but not much of one.

I liked that type of challenge and it's why I consider Persona a good game. I think that diving into another action RPG set up would be what makes Persona lose it's edge. Sure we still might get a crazy awesome story, but I would miss the paranoia of battle planning. :)

Roxtoyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Roxtoyz
Member since 2004 • 119 Posts

@Shadow_jdct said:

Absolutely not. What you describe reminds me of FFXIII and the thought of that game has brought flecks of vomit into my mouth. I want to input every command for every spell or action directly as in past games, in a turn-based order, and anything other than this would leave me disappointed.

Honestly I would rather see them evolve the battle system from 4 to 5 about as much as it changed from 3 to 4. Slight improvements.

It should have an ak-47, imo...

auron11022

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 auron11022
Member since 2003 • 289 Posts

How many ARPGs came out last year. How many JRPGs came out last year.

Why would you want to make a small, shrinking genre smaller by changing a top tier member of that genre into a game better fitting for a huge, growing genre? This isn't turning a mediocre game in a new direction, this would have been like making Civilization 5 into an RTS... It just doesn't make any sense.