Your games will expire on Origin if you havent used them in two years.

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

supras989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 supras989
Member since 2006 • 1558 Posts

Yep you heard correct, don't use your account or don't play one of your games for 24 months and EA will get rid of it, this is absolute craziness, I look through my steam list and can pick out a couple of games that I probably haven't played in two years, for example my Mass Effect, I've got 50 hours on it but it was probably two years ago since I last played it for reasons such as ME2 coming out and just generally not having the desire to play it again.

If you don't believe me check out the Terms of Service on the Origin homepage

http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/ CTRL F and search for 24 and you'll find it there under Chapter 5 Content and Entitlement Availability

deathshand707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deathshand707
Member since 2007 • 955 Posts

thats kind of ridiculos. Can we ever get them back? didnt read the TOS, I just trust you.

supras989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 supras989

I'll copy and paste the specific info from the TOS

We do not guarantee that any Content or Entitlement will be available at all times or at any given time or that we will continue to offer particular Content or Entitlements for any particular length of time. We reserve the right to change and update Content and Entitlements without notice to you. If you have not used your Entitlements or Account for twenty four (24) months or more and your Account has associated Entitlements, your Entitlements will expire and your Account may be cancelled for non-use.

deathshand707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deathshand707
Member since 2007 • 955 Posts

a lot of if and, and maybes in there.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
There's another post that tackled this issue. The key will still work, only the download will expire... (make a backup, end of story)
DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

It says your ORIGIN account, not just a single game. We must assume they mean if it remains completely passive (I.E not logging on)

foxhAngelus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 foxhAngelus
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Yeah I am boycotting EA Origin I think. I was going to buy Crysis 2 but now that it is taken off steam and made Origin exclusive I won't bother and games like Battlefield 3 which I was so incredibly keen for just makes me not want to play them anymore due to EA being a complete bunch of wankers with their new terms of conditions and the fact they are just playing a corporate game. I love EA and the games they have are fantastic.....I hope that they see reason soon.
supras989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 supras989

There's another post that tackled this issue. The key will still work, only the download will expire... (make a backup, end of story)FelipeInside
I don't know man, it explicitly states 'Entitllements will expire' not downloads. Entitlements meaning games and dlc etc, there would be no point to making a download expire if it could just be redownloaded again and even if that were the case that would be an annoyance.

supras989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 supras989

It says your ORIGIN account, not just a single game. We must assume they mean if it remains completely passive (I.E not logging on)

DoomZaW

No it says Entitlement or Account, meaning one or both will expire.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#11 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

What, wow, really?

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

DoomZaW

My God, what is this, somebody that understands?

He is right Supras989...you "just" have to log in one in those 24 months to "reset" it, you don't have to play your games (Origin/EA account = your games, entitlements = Origin account)...stop being so insecure and stop "figuring out" the obvious that's been around since EADM (AKA Origin) was invented, this here is spam, what you wrote is present in all the Origin mindless hate threads.

supras989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 supras989

[QUOTE="DoomZaW"]

DanielDust

My God, what is this, somebody that understands?

He is right Supras989...you "just" have to log in one in those 24 months to "reset" it, you don't have to play your games (Origin/EA account = your games, entitlements = Origin account)...stop being so insecure and stop "figuring out" the obvious that's been around since EADM (AKA Origin) was invented, this here is spam, what you wrote is present in all the Origin mindless hate threads.

Haha calm down man, this is not a hate thread 'Entitlement' does not = Origin account
Entitlement by EAs definition: "Entitlements" are licensed rights granted, awarded, provided and/or purchased by you to access and/or use online or off-line elements or features of EA Services and/or products. Entitlements include but are not limited to paid and free downloadable content, unlockable content, digital and/or virtual assets, rights of use tied to unlock keys or codes, serial codes and/or online authentication of any kind, in-game achievements and virtual or fictional currency not otherwise governed by a Digital Services Agreement.

Meaning Entitlements does include Games and dlc but is not limited to just those, as it still stands, this means that if said Entitlement is not used in a period of 24 months it will expire.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Im sure you will be able to reactivate your account some way, I think I read something to this effect about my WoW account in 2004 and that hasn't gone any where after years of inactivity.

Lefty299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lefty299
not necessarily man each set of terms an conditions are different EA may have a different use for expiring accounts. They may be doing to keep the interest of new members for the sakes of usernames. They have the idea of why should this person that does not use their account have this name when there are plenty of other people that are willing to use the account and invest money into it. Mind you if this was a reason it would be pretty stupid but hey there is some stupid stuff out there.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

It's like that part in the Steam TOS where Valve doesn't guarantee access to your account, subscriptions and games!

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FelipeInside
Guys, ur games will be available even after 2 years Stop being so NAIVE, no company would do that It's like people on the net are paid to find any little bad part of anything
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DanielDust

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

[QUOTE="DoomZaW"] My God, what is this, somebody that understands?

supras989

Haha calm down man, this is not a hate thread 'Entitlement' does not = Origin account
Entitlement by EAs definition: "Entitlements" are licensed rights granted, awarded, provided and/or purchased by you to access and/or use online or off-line elements or features of EA Services and/or products. Entitlements include but are not limited to paid and free downloadable content, unlockable content, digital and/or virtual assets, rights of use tied to unlock keys or codes, serial codes and/or online authentication of any kind, in-game achievements and virtual or fictional currency not otherwise governed by a Digital Services Agreement.

Meaning Entitlements does include Games and dlc but is not limited to just those, as it still stands, this means that if said Entitlement is not used in a period of 24 months it will expire.

Entitlements = Origin, because your entitlements are bound to that - if your Origin/EA account is gone your keys will be invalidated, what they talk about here is strictly availbility of the download - (like and/or isn't easy enough to understand already...if it's and/or it must strictly mean and right?), and games definitely won't disappear if you didn't play them in 2 years, because I actually use this service, they're still here, games that I haven't played in 3 years, nothing stands.

Guys, ur games will be available even after 2 years

Stop being so NAIVE, no company would do that

It's like people on the net are paid to find any little bad part of anythingFelipeInside

Nope, it's like the first time people actually read, just think about what they'd do if they'd be educated enough to read the Steam TOS, Valve would burn, assuming all the "cool" kids hating the EA TOS would go to their studio.

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

wow...really.

Well I'm not going to buy from them anyway. Their prices are too high.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
This is in another thread, one user said all you have to do is log in and it resets the time.
Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
Such, such fail.
gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts

Wasn't MS doing something like this with Live?

yourmajesty90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 yourmajesty90
Member since 2006 • 1420 Posts

It's like people on the net are paid to find any little bad part of anythingFelipeInside

Heh, I wish someone would do that. At least I'd has a job. :P
Good thing, I know now. All that worries me, is.... will they have deals as awesome as Steam's ones? Don't think so, but they will probably have some interesting deals. And they are even copying it withthe Achievements phase.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]There's another post that tackled this issue. The key will still work, only the download will expire... (make a backup, end of story)

I don't get why people are so nonchalant about this... What will you do when your HDD dies and all your backed up games are gone. Then what? Origin won't have your game available for download, you're either going to have to buy a retail copy (so now you'll have 2 keys for the game) or torrent it from some pirating site. Am I missing something? Please explain to me.
guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 guildclaws
Member since 2009 • 7921 Posts

thats kind of ridiculos. Can we ever get them back? didnt read the TOS, I just trust you.

deathshand707
Nope, after 2 year you have to buy a New Copy
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DanielDust
[QUOTE="trastamad03"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]There's another post that tackled this issue. The key will still work, only the download will expire... (make a backup, end of story)

I don't get why people are so nonchalant about this... What will you do when your HDD dies and all your backed up games are gone. Then what? Origin won't have your game available for download, you're either going to have to buy a retail copy (so now you'll have 2 keys for the game) or torrent it from some pirating site. Am I missing something? Please explain to me.

DvDs don't die in your lifetime unless you like to eat on them. If they expire (and they won't) the download will be gone and you can just download from a torrent, install under Origin, use the key, authenticate, play.
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 trastamad03
[QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="trastamad03"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]There's another post that tackled this issue. The key will still work, only the download will expire... (make a backup, end of story)

DvDs don't die in your lifetime unless you like to eat on them. If they expire (and they won't) the download will be gone and you can just download from a torrent, install under Origin, use the key, authenticate, play.

DvDs do taste delicious though... On a serious note... well if that's how they want it. Ok. [patiently waits for BF3 on Steam release... hoping for it that is].
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="trastamad03"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]There's another post that tackled this issue. The key will still work, only the download will expire... (make a backup, end of story)

Yes you are missing something, it's called backing up.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="deathshand707"]

guildclaws
Nope, after 2 year you have to buy a New Copy

Stop trolling... you won't need to buy a new copy.
flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

I don't like any bit of this. I say we make a petition for Mass Effect 3 using Steamworks

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 trastamad03

[QUOTE="trastamad03"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]There's another post that tackled this issue. The key will still work, only the download will expire... (make a backup, end of story)FelipeInside

But I just said, what if your Backup HD dies... How many backups do you backup?

Ma' Head Asplode! :O

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

I love how people are freaking out at EA when Steam and every other DD service have similar terms. They can all deny access to games and account whenever they want.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="trastamad03"] I don't get why people are so nonchalant about this... What will you do when your HDD dies and all your backed up games are gone. Then what? Origin won't have your game available for download, you're either going to have to buy a retail copy (so now you'll have 2 keys for the game) or torrent it from some pirating site. Am I missing something? Please explain to me.trastamad03

GOLDEN DATA RULE: 1 Copy is dangerous 2 Copies is good 3 Copies is excelent So basically have 2 backups going (one offsite if possible). It's nearly IMPOSSIBLE for all 3 copies to die at the same time...
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

[QUOTE="trastamad03"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Yes you are missing something, it's called backing up.FelipeInside

GOLDEN DATA RULE: 1 Copy is dangerous 2 Copies is good 3 Copies is excelent So basically have 2 backups going (one offsite if possible). It's nearly IMPOSSIBLE for all 3 copies to die at the same time...

Do you seriously keep 2 copies of your downloaded games, and have another in storage? That's hilarious.

Yes, that's good for business or important data, but this is game data we're talking about. It's ridiculous that they can't offer unlimited downloads as long as the business is available. It doesn't matter if they aren't the only ones; it's ridiculous for any of those services to do that.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="trastamad03"] But I just said, what if your Backup HD dies... How many backups do you backup?

guynamedbilly

Do you seriously keep 2 copies of your downloaded games, and have another in storage? That's hilarious.

Yes, that's good for business or important data, but this is game data we're talking about. It's ridiculous that they can't offer unlimited downloads as long as the business is available. It doesn't matter if they aren't the only ones; it's ridiculous for any of those services to do that.

Where did I say I keep 2 copies of downloaded games? Yep, nowhere....

I just stated the golden rule of data backup, since trastamad03 was worrying about his backups dying.

I buy retail mate.... DVDs last years more than Hard Drives.

As for the service....remember that keeping more and more games (after years) is not only storage space for the servers, but bandwidth also. They could put up a secondary seeding service I guess but remember it's a company, they try to cut costs whenever.

If you want to play a game after 2 whole years.... then make a backup, simple.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
make a backup, not simple.FelipeInside
Fixed that for ya. They charge enough money, and now don't manufacture the games physically, to afford to host them. Of course, they won't do that when they can help it, because some people don't care enough. That won't really prevent me from posting about how it's not right.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
and this is why I'll do business with Valve primarily and buy EA games through retail.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

provided you log into your account once every two years, you won't lose anything. I think this is not an issue for essentially all gamers.

Quit yer whinin' :P

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

I was going to buy Crysis 2 but now that it is taken off steam and made Origin exclusive I won't botherfoxhAngelus

unless you can no longer buy a disc version its not origin exclusive, people need to learn what exclusive means.

and this is why I'll do business with Valve primarily and buy EA games through retail.skrat_01

You know valve can disable your account whenever they want too right? go read there ToS sometime.

slabber44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 slabber44
Member since 2004 • 985 Posts
If your one who likes hard copy only (and it's fine by me) you do miss out on a lot of Indie games that to be honest, as of here lately have been better than most big budget titles lately. I for one use Steam mostly, but recently purchased Alice Madness Returns on Origin so I could get the complete edition and it was simple easy and downloaded and plays just fine. When I went to download I found out I had 3 other games on there that I had forgot about, and they all were from 2007 and I still had the option to download them all.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] make a backup, not simple.guynamedbilly
Fixed that for ya. They charge enough money, and now don't manufacture the games physically, to afford to host them. Of course, they won't do that when they can help it, because some people don't care enough. That won't really prevent me from posting about how it's not right.

Isn't the download version CHEAPER than the retail version? If so you still want the same kind of service? Even then THREE points to consider: 1- if you really are that worried, buy retail, end of story. 2- backup IS simple 3- if you want the game after 2 years, just log on again like many posters here have already stated
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhAngelus"] I was going to buy Crysis 2 but now that it is taken off steam and made Origin exclusive I won't botherwarmaster670

unless you can no longer buy a disc version its not origin exclusive, people need to learn what exclusive means.

and this is why I'll do business with Valve primarily and buy EA games through retail.skrat_01

You know valve can disable your account whenever they want too right? go read there ToS sometime.

Yup. Not a lot of people seem to realize that. Section 9-C in the Steam ToS clearly states "Valve does not guarantee continuous, error-free, virus-free, or secure operation and access to Steam, the software, your account and/or your subscirption(s)."

andalore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 andalore
Member since 2007 • 2644 Posts

The only games I've bought off Origin (Or the EADM as it was known back in the day) are the Sims 2 and 3, the rest are game codes that i've used that come from steam or Burnout Paradise which I got free from EA around Christmas time so it wont be too much of a loss if EA decides to cancel my Account but if just Logging in is what's keeping my account afloat then it's no probalem as EADM/Origin has always managed to start itself up whenever my computer turns on even when I haven't wanted it.

Englando_IV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Englando_IV
Member since 2008 • 4334 Posts

[QUOTE="warmaster670"]

[QUOTE="foxhAngelus"]

[QUOTE="skrat_01"]and this is why I'll do business with Valve primarily and buy EA games through retail.Phoenix534

Yup. Not a lot of people seem to realize that. Section 9-C in the Steam ToS clearly states "Valve does not guarantee continuous, error-free, virus-free, or secure operation and access to Steam, the software, your account and/or your subscirption(s)."

Right, but that's kind of just a vague statement, one that's kind of obvious, things could come up. That doesn't sound as worrying as: "Your account will be deleted if you don't do this:"
Mischievity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Mischievity
Member since 2011 • 366 Posts

This has been dismissed by customer care for me around 2 months ago, its not true, get over it.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#46 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
I am glad there are other places on the internet to buy my games. Amazon.com, Steam and Direct2drive will continue to be my places of choice where there is no expiration.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts

It's like that part in the Steam TOS where Valve doesn't guarantee access to your account, subscriptions and games!

Baranga
Where in the TOS does it say that? I am interested in reading up on that.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FelipeInside
I am glad there are other places on the internet to buy my games. Amazon.com, Steam and Direct2drive will continue to be my places of choice where there is no expiration.Jd1680a
Or....you could read the entire post and realize that there really is no expiration....
Lefty299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Lefty299
Screw all this tech poo imma gunna go back to my SNES PEACE KENTS