Your fondest gaming memory.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xxPanicxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 xxPanicxx
Member since 2006 • 349 Posts

I was just chatting with a mate who reminded me of the time (almost a decade ago now) when we went halves on a little game called "Diablo". Without either of us really knowing anything about RPG's or Blizzard, we proceeded to play the entire night, and well into the following evening, finally finishing almost 24hrs since we started.

A funny moment was when my mate almost puked when we first encountered The Butcher. He tried to deny it, although whenever I think of Diablo I always remember "Hey, whats all that stuff hanging from the wall....urgh wait...oh shi..." *runs to bathroom*.

Anyone else want to add?

lawrencexx_873

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 lawrencexx_873
Member since 2005 • 258 Posts
naw its okay..
d_agra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 d_agra
Member since 2003 • 1777 Posts

well my fondest memory is that i went to my mate house to chill out and play games in his pc. In the corner of my eye i saw a disk underneath his table i picke it up and i said to him "what is this?" and he said"its a game that came with the computer, havent played it,you can have it if u want" and i said cool..

Reasonits the fondest memory is becaus e that game was "Fallout" and my world changed after that

It was only by chance that i discovered this game and made me more interested inmore RPG like Fallout and found Baldur's Gate 2 and Torment

:)

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
Solving the "d'ni numerical system" puzzle in Riven. it was such amazing puzzle, so fresh, so unique, so insanely difficult. I took a break from the game and walked out with my dog..and then 5 minutes later it hit me, I grabbed my dog (he wasn't too happy about it :) ) and ran like hell to my house and bam....it really was a solution. I was so damn proud of myself :)
JJ_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JJ_1
Member since 2004 • 911 Posts
My dad handing me doom when it first came out (I was 9 at the time.) That was my first PC game ever.
Grantelicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#6 Grantelicious
Member since 2007 • 1541 Posts
Planetside and seeing my first like 600 plus FPS battle on screen at once which was amazing. Star Wars Galaxies when i first logged into that game and met friendly people and explored the world was real nice too.
Wannabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Wannabe
Member since 2003 • 70 Posts
The day I put a disc from my spinfusor into someones head at 300 feet in Starsiege Tribes back in 1998. First online MP game I ever played.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58441 Posts

Hmmmm this is a tough one. Right now I gotta say my fondest memory is getting my first 5.1 sound card.

Why? Because it came bundled with Deus Ex! My favorite game ever, and the fact that it was a totally unexpected bonus makes it even sweeter. I was like "oooh nice sound card...OMG THIS GAME FREAKING RULES! WOOOOOOOOOO!"

Another fond memory is the first time I played Team Fortress Classic. It was 1998 or 1999 and my family had just gotten internet (cursed AOL, grrrr) and my friends at high school said I should try TFC. So I download it and it became my hobby for the next eight or nine years and counting

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

i have two fondest memories i think, both are probably stupid to most people

the first would be lanning doom (or doom 2, i don't remember) with a friend, waay back, there is one map where various teleporters surround a large hall, we both teleported out right next to eachother, only neither of us knew it, we were both stood beside eachother, surveying the great hall - trying to spot eachother, then we both turned to face eachother, at the same time, and blew eachother away

it was just awesome

the other was an everquest (mmorpg) thing, i was a new member in a raid guild and had almost no dpk when one of the rarest, most sought-after items - which was specific to my class (necromancer)- dropped, and the main guild necromancers were all absent, so not only did i get this crazy awesome item (which never dropped for us, ever again), i also got it extremely cheap... my arms were literally shaking when i looted it, i was so nervous...

i've never felt like that before or since, telling my girlfriend i love her, hearing her say it back - pfft, it does not compare to looting a rareitem in everquest! i doubt any other experience will, either!

koza_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 koza_76
Member since 2005 • 338 Posts

well my fondest memory is that i went to my mate house to chill out and play games in his pc. In the corner of my eye i saw a disk underneath his table i picke it up and i said to him "what is this?" and he said"its a game that came with the computer, havent played it,you can have it if u want" and i said cool..

Reasonits the fondest memory is becaus e that game was "Fallout" and my world changed after that

It was only by chance that i discovered this game and made me more interested inmore RPG like Fallout and found Baldur's Gate 2 and Torment

d_agra

That's only so awesome cuz I love fallout too. Lucky.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

d_agra

cool !! when you get a game you love by chance, it really feels great. i still remember , long time back i had gotten a gift card for a store, but when i went ot the store there was no game which i really wanted. so i just picked up a random game off the shelf. that game was heores of might and magic, which became my favourite game and i have played that game for countless hours since then. i still feel so happy that i picked that game and not any other :)

acsguitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12 acsguitar
Member since 2005 • 1840 Posts
Finishing DreamFall The longest Journey . Also my least fond gaming memory
SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#13 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

I think my earliest and one of my fondest gaming memories was when I went to my dads office for the afternoon and he had Commander Keen and another similar game on his computer (god it must have been close to 15 years ago) I played it for hours and promptly informed my parents that I needed a computer.

Another of my fondest is in the original Half-Life. It is near the beginning when you come into a huge shaft like a missile silo and you have to get to the top to turn the generator on. At the bottom are Bullsquids and above you are elevator platforms to get to the power supply thing. It was 2:00 in the morning and I must have been playing for like 8 hours and I nearly s*** my pants when I first stumbled around a blind corner and nearly fell off the edge, it was one of the most erie moments I have ever had in a game just looking over the edge and seeing the mess below and the sparks and runaway platforms above. It could have had a lot to do with being dead tired at the time, but I don't think I'l ever forget that one.

Avatar image for HardcoreKiller2
HardcoreKiller2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 HardcoreKiller2
Member since 2004 • 574 Posts

Hmm, I have many fond gaming memories, but I'll go with the one I remember the most.

I went over to my cousin's house in the winter of 1997, and he was playing a game. I asked him, "Whats that game?", and he said, "Its this cool new game I bought, its called 'Duke Nukem 3D'.", I looked at the screen and saw him shooting aliens, and pigcops, but I didn't know what they were at the time. "Can I try it out?" I asked in deep interest, "Sure," he said, it seemed like he didn't mind. He told me the basics of how to move and shoot things, and it only took me about 3 mins to learn the controls. I loved every second of playing Duke Nukem 3D, I think I played it for 2 hours or so, then my parents came to pick me up. "Whats that game called?" I asked before going to my parents that were waiting in the car outside. "Its called 'Duke Nukem 3D'." he said. Soon after, I bought the game for my Nintendo 64, even though it wasn't as great as the PC version, the multiplayer made up for it. I remember having weekend partys, playing multiplayer on GoldenEye and Duke Nukem 3D, wow, those were fun times. :)

gtarmanrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 gtarmanrob
Member since 2006 • 1206 Posts

this question is real hard.

one of my many fond memories of gaming, was the original Soldier of Fortune, the goriest game since Quake/Doom/Blood. you take a shotty and shoot someone in the gut, and they stand there with their intestines hanging out. we were sitting there watching it goin, woh, is that even allowed? haha was good fun that game. cant wait for SoF3

nathris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nathris
Member since 2006 • 171 Posts

I remember back when I was like 7 there was an old computer in the corner of the room that nobody ever used. I booted it up and started playing I can't exactly recall how I got into a game, since it was DOS and my computer experience at that point was like 5 minutes on Win 95. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing but it was still fun. The game was Master of Orion, which I still consider one of the best games ever, and I really wish they'd port it to DS. There was also some kind of castle defense game where you built a castle and defended it from little invaders or something. Anyways that was my first real PC gaming experience and I remember how interesting it was to just click around. Of course now I won't touch a game unless it has quality graphics and amazing gameplay and its nice to think back to when everything was new!

Also the old Sierra adventure games, those were fun too.

Edit:

The game was Castles!

http://www.abandonia.com/games/en/402/Castles.htm

Just looking at the screenshots brings on waves of crippling nostalgia...

OkuLaris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 OkuLaris
Member since 2003 • 803 Posts
Probably playing Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines until my eyes bled. Bugs aside that game is one spectacular ride from start to finish, the music (4.1 surround sound w00t!), great atmosphere!, plenty of side quests oh the good times.
Billabong81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Billabong81
Member since 2004 • 188 Posts
There is nothing like playing a good coop game of Operation Flashpoint with an organzied squad. You truely feel like your part of a real military operation. One of the most immersive games I've ever played.
fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2387 Posts
Mine is when I played X-Wing at a friend's house. Holy crap! I could fly an X-Wing? Freakin' sweet!
Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Skullheart
Member since 2006 • 2054 Posts

I was just chatting with a mate who reminded me of the time (almost a decade ago now) when we went halves on a little game called "Diablo". Without either of us really knowing anything about RPG's or Blizzard, we proceeded to play the entire night, and well into the following evening, finally finishing almost 24hrs since we started.

A funny moment was when my mate almost puked when we first encountered The Butcher. He tried to deny it, although whenever I think of Diablo I always remember "Hey, whats all that stuff hanging from the wall....urgh wait...oh shi..." *runs to bathroom*.

Anyone else want to add?

xxPanicxx

I've had good times all across, but I can't really name one moment "the best" of all. Then again, I don't know...I'm still looking for an online game that will blow my mind and give me one of those untoppable moments.

Deus_Ex_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 Deus_Ex_Fan
Member since 2006 • 625 Posts

Finishing Deus Ex for the first time, and getting to the end scene with the quotes. Spent awhile afterwards going, "Wow". Although Deus Ex isn't a horror game, it's suspense scenes and dark levels could give that "edge" of one, so the ending gave it mind food to go with the chill -- "now how will the world be?".

Another was the ending in F.E.A.R. not expecting the little exchange after the credits (truly sad that F.E.A.R. XP didn't include anything at the end, despite having to sit through like 4 minutes of credits to find out).

Avatar image for deactivated-5c41957f09fc0
deactivated-5c41957f09fc0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#22 deactivated-5c41957f09fc0
Member since 2005 • 173 Posts

I used to stay up late at night to play UFO with my best friend -the next day at school were basically wasted :)

But my best game experience was probably the first TES game, Arena. After having completed the first dungeon, we were both surprised when we got to the city above. Mostly because we couldn't believe we were free to do whatever we wanted in the game. Most games at the time were so linear, that TES was the inspiration, that the game industri needed. The game is free to download, nowadays. Try it, if you can look past the graphics and sound (and the bugs)

TES continues to be my favourite game series, and Oblivion is my next big project. Though I've spent more than 100 hours on the game, I usually get sidetracked, so I haven't really finished it yet. But completing the TES games is only a distant secondary goal compared to the actual experience... which is to explore the world.

Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Skullheart
Member since 2006 • 2054 Posts

I used to stay up late at night to play UFO with my best friend -the next day at school were basically wasted :)

But my best game experience was probably the first TES game, Arena. After having completed the first dungeon, we were both surprised when we got to the city above. Mostly because we couldn't believe we were free to do whatever we wanted in the game. Most games at the time were so linear, that TES was the inspiration, that the game industri needed. The game is free to download, nowadays. Try it, if you can look past the graphics and sound (and the bugs)

TES continues to be my favourite game series, and Oblivion is my next big project. Though I've spent more than 100 hours on the game, I usually get sidetracked, so I haven't really finished it yet. But completing the TES games is only a distant secondary goal compared to the actual experience... which is to explore the world.

43n1m4

You know, I bought Oblivion but I'm quite bored of it right now. I haven't beaten the game, but I've gone all over the world and was very disappointed when I reached the borders of the land to find out I couldn't proceed. That destroyed my perception of the game being huge.

There's mods, but eh...something is missing for Oblivion methinks..

scarface_u2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 scarface_u2
Member since 2006 • 57 Posts

Hmm being this is the fondest gaming memory i'd have to say 1st time i enjoyed a "hot coffee"

with 1 of my many g/f's in GTA San Andreas (im a playaobviously)

the hard Q is who was best as obviously the hood-rat (lives local) was instantly forgetable did her name begin with a R?

remember too make gaming fun! this is my Motto so it obviously rules me out of being a moderator only joking well .........kind off

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
The first time I saw Starcraft and Red Alert 2, sweet memories :)
NemesisLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 NemesisLives
Member since 2003 • 426 Posts
Playing GTA San Andreas, I was just walkikng down the street shooting random people when I walk up to a prostitute. I stand in front of her and switch to my fist weapon. I punch her once and she just stands there, so I punch her a second time. She then proceeds to pull out a pistol and point it at me while yelling "you won't get away with that" Just as she is about to shoot me an ambulance cuts across the sidewalk, just missing me by inchesand runs over the prostitute and parks the car on top of her dead body. The paramedics heal everyone in the area exept the girl they just ran over and then proceed to leave.
hoket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hoket
Member since 2005 • 232 Posts

Hmmmm this is a tough one. Right now I gotta say my fondest memory is getting my first 5.1 sound card.

Why? Because it came bundled with Deus Ex! My favorite game ever.mrbojangles25

haha, im with you there, it was years and years ago, and my soundcard and 56k modem died (yes, my sound and modem were on the same card, lmao) so i ordered a Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer and when i got it, my head nearly exploded when i saw the Deus Ex Game of the Year edition in the box.

J-REAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 J-REAL
Member since 2006 • 595 Posts
I have to go with HL2. The part when you are in that buggie and you get to the camp where you first get the rocket luncher and there is a combine assult on your base. Now that was HOTTTT!!!!
RadioGooGoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RadioGooGoo
Member since 2007 • 253 Posts
It would have to be playing Half Life 2 the first time. Ive never been drawn into a world that I believed actually existed quite like that one. When you step outside in C17 for the first time, and you see (damnit I forget his name now) talking on that massive screen on the tower...then looking around and seeing all the gloominess...it was really depressing, yet immersive in a very positive way.