Your favorite Bioware game list!

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by XxspritexX (5836 posts) -

I recently bought Dragon Age completing my Bioware collection and I must say Dragon age is almost next to Baulders gate! :P

So whats your Bioware game list like

1.Baulders gate

2.Dragon Age

3.KOTOR series

4.Jade Empire

5.Mass Effect

:P GO!

#2 Posted by The_Capitalist (10838 posts) -

I've only played KOTOR, Mass Effect, Jade Empire, and Dragon Age. Never played Baldur's Gate. I rank them as thus:

1. Mass Effect

2. KOTOR

3. Dragon Age

4. Jade Empire

#3 Posted by MrLions (9833 posts) -
ive never played Baulders gate I want to but 1.Dragon Age 2.KOTOR 3.Jade Empire 4.Mass effect Mass effect isnt my favorite for gameplay or story I just stick around for the sleeping with Tali parts.
#4 Posted by ChiliDragon (8444 posts) -
1. Jade Empire 2. KotOR 1 (the second one was NOT made by Bioware, which, frankly TC, you should have known) 3. Dragon Age 4. Baldur's Gate
#5 Posted by flipin_jackass (9770 posts) -
1. KotOR 2. Jade Empire Hmmm. I should play more Bioware's. I'm currently playing Mass Effect though....
#6 Posted by -wildflower- (2997 posts) -

1. Baldur's Gate

2. Baldur's Gate 2

3. Dragon Age

4. MDK2

The rest of their games I find pretty mediocre (Mass Effect, Neverwinter Nights) or worse, below average (KoTOR, Jade Empire). As I said in another thread, I always thought Bioware's real talent was in making the game engines that better, and more creative developers used to make great games (i.e. Black Isle).

#7 Posted by Dante2710 (63161 posts) -
1.KOTOR 2.Dragon Age 3.Mass Effect
#8 Posted by kozzy1234 (35966 posts) -

I love all Biowares games ):

#9 Posted by Tokeism (2365 posts) -

Mass effect

KOTOR

Dragon Age

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
#10 Posted by deactivated-59d151f079814 (47239 posts) -
Mass Effect series Baldur's Gate 2 KOTOR 1 .. Maybe Dragon Age Origins.. The problem I had with it, is none of the classes were really enjoyable with my playstyles.
#11 Posted by gameguy6700 (12197 posts) -
1. KOTOR 2. Mass Effect 2 3. Jade Empire 4. Mass Effect 1 5. DA:O Never played much of the Baulder's Gate series, and I couldn't get into DA:O which is why it's so low on my list.
#12 Posted by True_Sounds (2915 posts) -

kozzy1234

This :D

#13 Posted by Agent_Kaliaver (4722 posts) -

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

True_Sounds

This :D

Agreed. Can you really rank games if they are all awesome? I do have to say though that Jade Empire was by far my least favorite. But saying that means nothing considering all of their games are amazing. All it does it make Jade Empire slightly less amazing.
#14 Posted by Jd1680a (5958 posts) -
Dragon Age so far.
#15 Posted by Lethalhazard (5452 posts) -
1. Dragon Age ....nothing else
#16 Posted by psn8214 (14930 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 > Mass Effect > Dragon Age. I played KOTOR back in the day, but I don't remember it well enough to really include it here (and it was on an Xbox too :P).

#17 Posted by mkaliaz (1979 posts) -

1) Mass Effect
2) Dragon Age
3) KOTOR

I have Jade Empire to play in my steam list but havent played baldurs. Love bioware games!

#18 Posted by wizdom (10109 posts) -
Dragon AGe Kotor Mass Effect 2 don't care about the other ones or I haven't played them
#19 Posted by coreybg (2608 posts) -

1.KOTOR

2.MDK2(That was the first game I installed on my first PC xD )

3.Dragon Age

4.Mass Effect

5.Mass Effect 2

DA,ME,ME2 - All with their DLC

#20 Posted by CrookedCrown (274 posts) -

No particular order:

KOTOR

Mass Effect

Mass Effect 2

Dragon Age: Origins

Dragon Age: Awakening

Jade Empire

NeverWinter Nights + HoTU and SoU

yaaaa. im a fan :)

#21 Posted by Planeforger (17345 posts) -

The rest of their games I find pretty mediocre (Mass Effect, Neverwinter Nights) or worse, below average (KoTOR, Jade Empire). As I said in another thread, I always thought Bioware's real talent was in making the game engines that better, and more creative developers used to make great games (i.e. Black Isle).

-wildflower-

Agreed, although I don't agree with your rankings/categories.

Bioware always plays it safe, and usually falls short of making truly creative, ambitious, great or complex RPGs, but at least their engines have allowed creative games like Planescape Torment, The Witcher, KOTOR 2 and NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer to exist (and those are definitely some of the top whatever# RPGs, imo).

Anyway, back on topic, in no particular order:

Great: Baldurs Gate 2.

Very Good: KOTOR, ME2.

Good: Baldurs Gate, Mass Effect, Jade Empire.

Mediocre/Bland/Totally Dull: Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age.

#22 Posted by Delius (571 posts) -

The only bioware game I thought was kind of weak was Jade Empire (not that it was a bad game), my top five are:

1. Baldur's Gate
2. Knights of the Old Republic
3. Mass Effect 2
4. Dragon Age
5. Baldur's Gate 2

#23 Posted by Gammit10 (2394 posts) -
I think KOTOR was way too linear in its level/planet/whatever design. So I'd go: 1.) Baldur's Gate 2 2.) Baldur's Gate 3.) Mass Effect 2 4.) Dragon Age 5.) Mass Effect 6.) KOTOR 7.) Jade Empire
#24 Posted by LTZH (2704 posts) -
1. KOTOR 2. Baulder's Gate series 3. Dragon Age 4. Mass Effect series 5. NWN 6. Jade
#25 Posted by dinuattila (1355 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 > Mass Effect > Dragon Age. I played KOTOR back in the day, but I don't remember it well enough to really include it here (and it was on an Xbox too :P).

psn8214
Maybe you should replay it? 1. KoTOR 2. ME 1,2 3. Dragon Age 4. Jade Empire
#26 Posted by FPS_Gamer123 (4363 posts) -

1. Mass Effect 2

2. Dragon Age

3. KOTOR

4. Mass Effect.

#27 Posted by illmatic87 (17933 posts) -
1. BG2 2. Kotor 3. Mass Effect 2 4. BG 1 5. Dragon Age 6. Jade Empire (Bioware needs to work on a sequel to this) 7. Baldurs Gate 2: ToB 8. NWN: HotU 9. NWN 10. Mass Effect 11. NWN: SoU Just havent played the BG1 expansion out of the RPGs.
#28 Posted by gameguy6700 (12197 posts) -
[QUOTE="Gammit10"]I think KOTOR was way too linear in its level/planet/whatever design. So I'd go: 1.) Baldur's Gate 2 2.) Baldur's Gate 3.) Mass Effect 2 4.) Dragon Age 5.) Mass Effect 6.) KOTOR 7.) Jade Empire

Really? Bioware has pretty much been reusing the same template in every game since KOTOR (they could have been using it before that too, but I haven't played BG or NWN so I can't say). That template being that first you have a tutorial "origin story" level, then you have a first level that you're always forced to play on first, then afterward you'll probably have another mini-area that you're forced to go through, and then you get your choice of four areas that you can go to in any order to advance the main plot and get new characters. In-between the third and fourth areas, however, you'll encounter a surprise level that introduces a plot twist and you must complete said level before going on to the fourth and final area. Then after the fourth area you'll go to the "final destination" level before finally heading on to the final level where the game's boss is located. I still like Bioware's games, but if you're going to fault one of them for having linear design then you really have to fault them all for the same issue.
#29 Posted by TerrorRizzing (4230 posts) -

I havent even played baldur's gate, im pretty new to gaming, or more accurately I didnt play for a very long time.

1. Dragon Age

2. KOTOR

3. jade Empire

4. mass effect 1/2

Its all about gameplay, atmosphere and giving me things to find and do. I think dragon age nailed everything except story, which 99% of the time sucks in a video game anyway. I dont need a good story to enjoy life, I just enjoy it for what it is.. same is applied to my games.

#30 Posted by Gammit10 (2394 posts) -
The Baldur's Gate and NWN games were more open worlds. I agree that they've followed a template. I guess it was the most noticeable for me in KOTOR.
#31 Posted by TerrorRizzing (4230 posts) -
The Baldur's Gate and NWN games were more open worlds. I agree that they've followed a template. I guess it was the most noticeable for me in KOTOR.Gammit10
the template works for me, its not like there are 50 games a year like them.
#32 Posted by -wildflower- (2997 posts) -

Maybe you should replay it [KotOR]? dinuattila

I'm thinking maybe I should replay it and see if I like it any better now.

I was so excited for this game (up until KotOR I had really enjoyed my previous experiences with Bioware games and I was/am a big Star Wars fan). The day the PC version finally shipped I got to the store early, grabbed my copy and sped home to install the game. After playing for a few hours the disappointment began to set in.

KotOR is one of the first RPGs I played where I really felt its console roots. I hated the inventory system/user interface. I didn't like the combat mechanics. The whole game felt very consolized and contrived. Even the much lauded story (and the surprise "twists") were predictable. Needless to say, I was pretty underwhelmed by the game and thus began my disillusionment with Bioware in general.

After KotOR, I found each game progressively worse than the last. The depth was missing and everything became (industry buzzwords!) "streamlined" so it could be more "immersive" more "cinematic" and ultimately more "accessible" but in my opinion all this did was make the games more generic, more forgettable and less RPGs.

I guess that's why I liked DA:O probably a little more than it acutally merited -- while the claim that it was the "spiritual successor" to BG was laughable, at least it felt like an honest PC RPG regardless of how generic it was and how bad the mechanics/rules of it actually were.

I still like Bioware. I don't think they make bad games but after the high-water mark set by the BG series, I guess always expected a bit more from them.

#33 Posted by TerrorRizzing (4230 posts) -

[QUOTE="dinuattila"] Maybe you should replay it [KotOR]? -wildflower-

I'm thinking maybe I should replay it and see if I like it any better now.

I was so excited for this game (up until KotOR I had really enjoyed my previous experiences with Bioware games and I was/am a big Star Wars fan). The day the PC version finally shipped I got to the store early, grabbed my copy and sped home to install the game. After playing for a few hours the disappointment began to set in.

KotOR is one of the first RPGs I played where I really felt its console roots. I hated the inventory system/user interface. I didn't like the combat mechanics. The whole game felt very consolized and contrived. Even the much lauded story (and the surprise "twists") were predictable. Needless to say, I was pretty underwhelmed by the game and thus began my disillusionment with Bioware in general.

After KotOR, I found each game progressively worse than the last. The depth was missing and everything became (industry buzzwords!) "streamlined" so it could be more "immersive" more "cinematic" and ultimately more "accessible" but in my opinion all this did was make the games more generic, more forgettable and less RPGs.

I guess that's why I liked DA:O probably a little more than it acutally merited -- while the claim that it was the "spiritual successor" to BG was laughable, at least it felt like an honest PC RPG regardless of how generic it was and how bad the mechanics/rules of it actually were.

I still like Bioware. I don't think they make bad games but after the high-water mark set by the BG series, I guess always expected a bit more from them.

dragon age was great, I hear great things about baldurs gate too. Thing is, the game is too confusing and hard for the wide audience bioware is now aiming for. Devs that went too hardcore, and never dumbed down a bit are mostly out of business now.

#34 Posted by Planeforger (17345 posts) -

dragon age was great, I hear great things about baldurs gate too. Thing is, the game is too confusing and hard for the wide audience bioware is now aiming for. Devs that went too hardcore, and never dumbed down a bit are mostly out of business now.TerrorRizzing

I agree that it was a smart business move for Bioware to make, but it still kinda feels like they've abandoned a lot of what their older fans want in games (to me, anyway).

Plus, Bioware's successes have dumbed down the genre as a whole. I'm getting pretty sick of games where the only 'roleplaying' involves picking from the good or evil options to get different endings, and it seems like Bioware was the main driving force behind that trend.

#35 Posted by -wildflower- (2997 posts) -

Yeah, from a business standpoint I totally understand it but I certainly don't like it. I honestly believe that there is room in the market for both types of games but unfortunately we're only getting one kind now (for the most part).

I think part of the problem is publishers and/or designers think that every game needs to be some big "Hollywood" summer blockbuster with intricate cut-scenes, cutting-edge graphics and star-powered voice acting.

Smaller games wouldn't require nearly as much resources and would be less risky financially. Heck they could reuse old Tech (yeah, I know, blasphemy in this day and age). Bring back the Infinity engine or better yet, buy whatever engine was running Troika's Temple of Elemental Evil and use those already developed engines to make new games.

Would these games sell as much as the big ticket Mass Effect, DA:O, and Oblivions, etc? Probably not but, again, they wouldn't have to because they cost a fraction of what it costs to make those other games. I don't know, I guess I just wish there was more variety and choices in the RPG genre than we are currently seeing.

Even the big dumb Hollywood movie studios have smaller development houses that make their artsier and more niche films so why doesn't the game industry?

Yes, I know there are independent developers but that's not exactly what I'm talking about (although more people should support them too).

#36 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (7431 posts) -

1) BG2

2) NWN (MP)

3) Shattered Steel

4) Kotor

5) DA:O

6) Mass Effect

7) Jade Empire

#37 Posted by Lach0121 (10940 posts) -

Havn't played Dragon Age yet.

I would have to say Kotor was great fun... but Mass Effect is prolly my favorite bioware game/franchise ... so far... (hoping TOR will be great as well)

#38 Posted by MyopicCanadian (8345 posts) -

It's tough to say.. some of the games I've all but forgotten but I remember how awesome they were (KotOR) and with Mass Effect, it was an amazing experience the first time but I tried to play through it again and couldn't...

My list would probably be something like...

1. Baldur's Gate

2. Jade Empire

3. KotOR

4. Mass Effect

5. Baldur's Gate 2? (I never actually finished it)

Dunno why people typically rag on Jade Empire.. I guess the combat was pretty simple but it was entertaining. The world was unique and interesting, the story completely awesome. A great total package for RPG's :)

Tried playing Dragon Age repeatedly... I don't really care for it, and the technical issues I've had also get in the way.

#39 Posted by Rickylee (1342 posts) -

ME 1&2, Kotor, DA:O, BG 2, and NWN. Never played Jade Empire but I'm intriqued. I love Bioware but some of my even more loved games come from what others have done with there stuff.

#40 Posted by ChiliDragon (8444 posts) -
One of the things I liked the best about Jade Empire was the setting. It was such a nice change of pace from the standard medieval Europe fantasy settings that most RPGs use. Chinese dragons are awesome. :)
#41 Posted by sleepingzzz (2263 posts) -

Favorites:

1. Dragon Age

2. Jade Empire

Good games:

1. ME2

2. KOTOR

Games I didn't like:

1. Baldur's Gate 2

2. Neverwinter

3. ME1

Never tried out:

1. BG 1

2. MDK 1 & 2

3. Sonic Chronicles

#42 Posted by Planeforger (17345 posts) -

One of the things I liked the best about Jade Empire was the setting. It was such a nice change of pace from the standard medieval Europe fantasy settings that most RPGs use. Chinese dragons are awesome. :)ChiliDragon

Agreed. I'd gladly take a Jade Empire sequel over ten Dragon Age sequels, even if the gameplay isn't as good.

#43 Posted by ChiliDragon (8444 posts) -

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]One of the things I liked the best about Jade Empire was the setting. It was such a nice change of pace from the standard medieval Europe fantasy settings that most RPGs use. Chinese dragons are awesome. :)Planeforger

Agreed. I'd gladly take a Jade Empire sequel over ten Dragon Age sequels, even if the gameplay isn't as good.

The gameplay was actually surprisingly satisfying for a console port. The keyboard was a bit clunky for combat movement, but the part where they let me map different styles to hotkeys made up for it. Storm Dragon felt almost like cheating at times though... :D
#44 Posted by PublicNuisance (4582 posts) -

I recently bought Dragon Age completing my Bioware collection and I must say Dragon age is almost next to Baulders gate! :P

So whats your Bioware game list like

1.Baulders gate

2.Dragon Age

3.KOTOR series

4.Jade Empire

5.Mass Effect

:P GO!

XxspritexX

1. Mass effect 2

2. Mass effect

3. Jade Empire

4. KOTOR

5. Neverwinter Nights

They only developed the first KOTOR and Old Republic which is not out yet so you can't credit them with the series yet. I still need to pick up Dragon Age and Baldur's Gate.

#45 Posted by Grodus5 (7934 posts) -

I've only played Dragon Age, Mass Effect 1 and 2, and KOTOR (but only the first planet. After that I upgraded my system now it won't run). So I rank them as such:

1) Dragon Age
2) Mass Effect 2
3) Mass Effect
N/A) KOTOR (didn't play enough to give it a fair report)

#46 Posted by Krolic (31 posts) -

As a long time fan since the original Baldur's Gate was released back in 98', and one of my favorite developers, my list is as follows:

1) Baldur's Gate Saga (BG 1 + exp pack + BG2 + exp pack) I honestly don't believe we'll ever see a game of this high quality from Bioware again (or most any other developer). This is leaps and bounds above my number 2 pick.

2) Star Wars: Kotor

3) Dragon Age Origins

4) Mass Effect Series

5) Neverwinter Nights

6) Jade Empire - While this is the bottom of my list, it's not necessarily a bad thing. I still enjoyed this game. But it's not very memorable imo, as it's the only Bioware game where I can't for the life of me remember any of the characters in the game aside from 1 or 2, or anything about the plot, and I beat it twice when it launched!

#47 Posted by scoots9 (3487 posts) -

From what I've played:

1. KotOR

2. Mass Effect 2

3. Mass Effect

Dragon Age was too terrible to even make the list, I didn't even finish it.

#48 Posted by topsemag55 (19063 posts) -

kozzy1234

I agree with kozzy's statement.

However, in Mass Effect, they don't know how to program player collision very well - it's very easy for Shepard to get stuck or floating in the air.:P:lol:

#49 Posted by Sharpie125 (3904 posts) -

Haven't played Jade Empire or Baldur's Gate, though I'll be trying out JE pretty soon.

1. Mass Effect 1 - Despite its shortcomings, the first time I played, I got absolutely sucked in.
2. Mass Effect 2 - It's better than 1 in many ways, but didn't have quite the same impact. Still loved it.
3. KoTOR - The RPG that got me started on RPGs. It's only here because Mass Effect blew me away, but I think I play KoTOR 2 more than the first.
4. Dragon Age - Gasp! I had a lot of fun with this one at the time, but thinking back, the only memorable scene for me was during the beginning. I had such a negative experience in, was it, the Fade? I wanna go back and play another run through, but I dread having to go back there. I'm trying to remember the really great parts of the game, and I'm sitting here picking out what I didn't like, unfortunately. Also, I'm not a huge fan of crawling around the many dungeons. What killed Oblivion for me.

#50 Posted by biggest_loser (24261 posts) -
Dragon Age is masterful.