You Answer: Is Will Wright a Genius?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

schwagnah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 schwagnah
Member since 2004 • 771 Posts
So is Will Wright a Genius?

I think he's the smartest developer in the world. There's Miyamoto, Kojima, and Molyneux, but I dont think anybody does what Will does... He creates new genres and worlds.

Check out my Daily blog post on this here and answer/comment!

Also.. now that there will be another delay, until 2008... who thinks Spore will ultimately get its release in 08?
NoRemnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 NoRemnants
Member since 2006 • 3351 Posts

So is Will Wright a Genius?

I think he's the smartest developer in the world. There's Miyamoto, Kojima, and Molyneux, but I dont think anybody does what Will does... He creates new genres and worlds.

Check out my Daily blog post on this here and answer/comment!schwagnah

I had the idea for an evolution simulator like spore years ago... does that make me a genius?

schwagnah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 schwagnah

[QUOTE="schwagnah"]So is Will Wright a Genius?

Check out my Daily blog post on this here and answer/comment!XBSHX

I had the idea for an evolution simulator like spore years ago... does that make me a genius?

You had the idea, but he put it into motion... I dont think too many people can successfully create new genres like he does. but point taken

NoRemnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NoRemnants
[QUOTE="XBSHX"]

Check out my Daily blog post on this here and answer/comment!schwagnah

You had the idea, but he put it into motion... I dont think too many people can successfully create new genres like he does. but point taken

Yes but you have to remember he is a rich respected developer... of course he can get it done. It would be very very difficult for me to have tried to market that idea without a reputation and a whole lot of cash backing me. 

He is a very good developer and comes up with some good ideas... I don't think that really falls under the category of "genius" since he only plays a small part in actually making the game.

Al_Ka_Pwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Al_Ka_Pwn
Member since 2006 • 561 Posts

As soon as you can code model and create a completely dynamic evelotuion simulator that goes from being a germ to destroying planets and make each level of it fun THEN you will be a genius, until then you are just some dude who has a vague broad idea of nothing useful or specific.

and Molyneux sucks imo after the way he f'd up Black and White 2, no MP, WTF WAS HE THINKING?!?! and he ruined creatures and theres prolly a reason that Ron guy that worked on the combat no longers works at blizzard, most likely b/c he sucks

schwagnah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 schwagnah
[QUOTE="schwagnah"][QUOTE="XBSHX"]

Check out my Daily blog post on this here and answer/comment!XBSHX

Yes but you have to remember he is a rich respected developer... of course he can get it done. It would be very very difficult for me to have tried to market that idea without a reputation and a whole lot of cash backing me. 

He is a very good developer and comes up with some good ideas... I don't think that really falls under the category of "genius" since he only plays a small part in actually making the game.

Well you should know that he ALMOST single handedly made SimCity... that too is something not too many people during that time would have thought to make.

NoRemnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NoRemnants

As soon as you can code model and create a completely dynamic evelotuion simulator that goes from being a germ to destroying planets and make each level of it fun THEN you will be a genius, until then you are just some dude who has a vague broad idea of nothing useful or specific.

and Molyneux sucks imo after the way he f'd up Black and White 2, no MP, WTF WAS HE THINKING?!?! and he ruined creatures and theres prolly a reason that Ron guy that worked on the combat no longers works at blizzard, most likely b/c he sucks

Al_Ka_Pwn

And Will Wright coded, modeled and created Spore completely by himself... I think not...

Yes he made sim-city pretty much by himself but now that you look back at it... it couldn't have been that difficult... it was just a new idea.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
I dont think inventing a new game or genre makes you a genius... Maybe if he solve several problems with modern physics he would be a genius.
niko44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 niko44
Member since 2004 • 2281 Posts
Imo, spore is overhyped and though it will deliver it wont deliver as much as people expect it to and it will get boring quick.Kind of like the sims(though i dont think it was that hyped.)
Avatar image for elemental_drago
elemental_drago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 elemental_drago
Member since 2004 • 1816 Posts
I don't doubt that this game will be pretty impressive, however, I'm not hedging any bets 'till it hits. Frankly, I think he's shooting himself in the foot with this project. He's hyping it too much. These delays aren't helping either. The longer it takes to hit the market, the more the rumor mill is going grow and in the end, it may be more than the game is going to be able to live up to. People will be expecting to much and may be more critical of it than it truly warrants. When this game hits, it's either gonna be the best thing since sliced bread (or Doom) or we're gonna have another Daikatana on our hands. What he's doing now, isn't what I'd call genius. That's my two cents on the subject at least.
Avatar image for Einhanderkiller
Einhanderkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Einhanderkiller
Member since 2003 • 13259 Posts
He's a smart guy, but I don't think he's necessarily a genius.
Avatar image for Rockin_MixMasta
Rockin_MixMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Rockin_MixMasta
Member since 2004 • 3427 Posts

Forgetting the games completely, I do believe he is a genius. I once saw an interview with Will Wright promoting Spore and retracing his career, and it is somewhat incredible how he goes about creating his games. There is ALOT of math and science involved, believe it or not.

Stay in school kids. 

PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PikaPichu
Member since 2003 • 17813 Posts
I don't think he's any more or less smarter than any other premiere developers. I still think John Carmack's a freaking genius.
monco59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#14 monco59
Member since 2007 • 2473 Posts
No! A genius would be able to get his friggin' game out on time!
ElectricNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ElectricNZ
Member since 2007 • 2457 Posts

I don't think he's any more or less smarter than any other premiere developers. I still think John Carmack's a freaking genius.PikaPichu

John Carmack > Will Wright 

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58543 Posts

He was, but like most people when they get old they think about their future, theird kids, and they get senile so not so much anymore.

Just kidding, I think Spore will determine whether the guy still has the talent or not.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mrbojangles25

I don't think he's any more or less smarter than any other premiere developers. I still think John Carmack's a freaking genius.PikaPichu

John Carmack is dead to me.  Wolfenstein 2 for the 360 only?  WTF man!

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Wright

Graduated highschool at 16, and college at 21 in impressive fields.  Went on to create some of the most beloved games and created a multimillion dollar company pretty much all on his own.  Yup...pretty much a genius!

GMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 GMafia
Member since 2006 • 105 Posts
Man would you people stop whining about the delay of Spore... There probably holding it back to make sure its at its best. There the ones making the game, your not... ;)And yes I think he is a genius. The games he has created have been (or used to) be advanced technology you could put it, well maybe not advanced but new (back then).
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mrbojangles25

Graduated highschool at 16, and college at 21 in impressive fields.  Went on to create some of the most beloved games and created a multimillion dollar company pretty much all on his own.  Yup...pretty much a genius!

dnuggs40

I wonder if he has the alternate personality of a robot, too.

"PLEEEAASE sit-on-my-FAAaaace!  eeeroooooo eeeee!"

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts
[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]

mrbojangles25

lol...is that a Grandma's Boy referrence?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mrbojangles25
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"][QUOTE="dnuggs40"]

dnuggs40

lol...is that a Grandma's Boy referrence?

Yes...yes it is :D

Im just kidding though, he is actually a very nice guy.  My mom got him to speak at career day a few years ago for the high school she works at and he has been going back ever since.  Never met him, but my mom said he is a swell guy, and that the clas sroom he lectures in is always packed.