Yesterday was a sad day

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cdscottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Cdscottie
Member since 2004 • 1872 Posts

I had some time to kill last night so I decided to drop into my local EB Games store to see what PC Games I can get my hands on. Low and behold I wandered around the store and not able to find the PC Games. I asked one of the workers where the PC Games were and he pointed me to the shelf with the used Gamecube games were. I browsed the selection and was appalled. Under 30 games, most of which were just used copies. I asked them why such a low selection (A month ago they had well over 100 PC Games) and the store associate told me that EB Games Canada is slowly working out PC Games due to their lack of sales and the inability to resell used copies. So I walked out of the store feeling as if my stomach was turning from the thought.

However, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. I went home to get a call from my friend who just built a new Gaming PC and was asking me what games to get. I told him about the sad news about EB Games and then started browsing Steam, Impulse, EA Store, D2D and GOG and realized. While mortar and brick stores are slowly pushing PC Gaming out, it is quickly getting replaced by Digital Distribution. Needless to say, I am now moving completely digital after yesterdays sorrows. Too bad, EB Games just lost a customer.

So what about you guys? Your local stores axing the computer game selection? Do you plan or already moved to Digital Distribution?

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts

Its been like that a while. If you want a game on retail, shop at Amazon.com or Bestbuy.

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
Yeah that's been the norm for quite some time. EB/Gamestop's PC selection died a painful death. Digital distribution is good when done right (like Steam). I don't care for D2D because unless they changed it, some games need patches specifically for the D2D version, meaning they don't get patched as fast. But with online places like amazon.com you can find whatever you want.
SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts

Its been like that a while. If you want a game on retail, shop at Amazon.com or Bestbuy.

pvtdonut54
yeah i noticed it for awhile there is like roughly 20-30 PC games at my EBgames i usually shop Digital Downloads nowadays its way more convient but, if i have to shop retail places such as bestbuy are usually the place for me
da_bomb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 da_bomb123
Member since 2004 • 178 Posts

Maybe if they did not blatantly overprice their games they wouldn't have this problem.

concord9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 concord9
Member since 2003 • 949 Posts

Why would anyone in their right mind shop at EB Games??!! Bestbuy has much better prices on new releases not to mention always had a bigger selection too.

Drazule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Drazule
Member since 2007 • 8693 Posts

You mention EA store. DO NOT USE IT! They give you the rights to play the game for a year, then you have to pay extra to get an entire 5 years.

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts
Just buy your games on Amazon. With the exception of a couple weekend deals, I can't stand not having a physical box and discs. I gave up on EB after they got bought out and stopped selling used PC games (which to this day I don't understand: there were always stacks and stacks of used discs and I would buy two or three every time I went in)
dub14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dub14
Member since 2008 • 497 Posts

Xbox 360 is adding downloadable full games (not Arcade) as well. Seems like the way to go.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#10 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts
amazon.com is the way to go. better prices, better supply, better selection.
AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

amazon.com or Steam weekend deals, thats the way to go.

ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#12 ManicAce
Member since 2009 • 3267 Posts
There aren't any real gamestores around here. Supermarkets usually have more PC games than games for any individual console though, and internet retail stores have great selections of old and new PC games. Don't really use DD if the game has a boxed copy. Paying the same price and having to download it while getting no manual, disk or box is just a bad deal imo as convenient as it is.
Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

There are about 5 EB stores that I shop around and I think that one of them has major PC games. The others may have 1 to none.Whenever I go to get PC games now I either go to FRYs or Best Buy. They have a huge selection.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#14 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

This doesn't concern me because my download speeds are pretty good and I have always found game packaging to be superfluous.

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

I pretty much never buy games off line anymore. Most of the games I buy are discounts or special offers from steam. There's usually something interesting I've yet to try. While it looks like PC game retail is quickly becomming a thing of the past, to be honest I don't really miss it.

TimO_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 TimO_basic
Member since 2002 • 65 Posts

They can sell a crappy console game for 60 bucks, buy it back for $15, then resell it again for $40.

The Gamestop near me has a relatively small section of PC titles, but they still get most of the new releases. They also cut prices down pretty quick on stuff that I don't want to buy new. Far Cry 2 is $20. Still $50 at Best Buy.

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts

They can sell a crappy console game for 60 bucks, buy it back for $15, then resell it again for $40.

The Gamestop near me has a relatively small section of PC titles, but they still get most of the new releases. They also cut prices down pretty quick on stuff that I don't want to buy new. Far Cry 2 is $20. Still $50 at Best Buy.

TimO_basic
I think you'd be lucky to get $15 for a console game. It would have to be a brand spanking new release.
DevilBorg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DevilBorg
Member since 2009 • 810 Posts
Yeah, you have to buy it all online or off of other consoles (like XBLA) The PC section here is this rack, and they are on both sides, barely bigger than the GC section. They don't sell used PC games anymore. They tried once, and got too many they couldn't sell (plus, they had a habit of leaving the CD keys on the cover, I"m sure that caused problems)
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
Currently I haven't made a switch to DD yet, then again my speed is not so good and the areas where I live/work do have lots and lots of PC Games and if they don't I easily buy them from an online shop
Cdscottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Cdscottie
Member since 2004 • 1872 Posts

Why would anyone in their right mind shop at EB Games??!! Bestbuy has much better prices on new releases not to mention always had a bigger selection too.

concord9
Hard to shop Best Buy when there isn't one in your province...
Emraldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Emraldo
Member since 2004 • 1959 Posts

Fellow Canadian here, and I've had similar issues with GameStop and EB. However, I found a secret weapon: Staples. Yes, the buisiness/stationary store. A friend and I wandered in there one day and found some amazing deals. I got STALKER for $20, and if I hadn't already bought Supreme Commander I would have got it for $7.

dmb34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22 dmb34
Member since 2004 • 1102 Posts
call me old fashioned but i like having a physical copy in hand and despise having to wait for a download. Obviously though thats where the pc market is heading, all B&M stores are reducing pc games stock in favor of console games.
SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SamiRDuran
Member since 2005 • 2758 Posts
I dont even remember the last time i bought a pc game from a brick and mortar store. Its either digital distribution or online stores.
Cicatraz_ESP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Cicatraz_ESP
Member since 2006 • 1993 Posts

Best Buy still has a decent selection of PC games. But I do agree, my local gamestop has a tiny ass little shelf dedicated to PC games.

Zam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Zam
Member since 2002 • 2048 Posts

You mention EA store. DO NOT USE IT! They give you the rights to play the game for a year, then you have to pay extra to get an entire 5 years.

Drazule

That's re-download for a year not play. You can play it for as long as you want, just make sure you backup the downloaded game so you don't have to pay later incase you switch to a different pc, reformat or uninstall the game

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

Amazon.com is my new storefront now. Great prices, free shipping for orders over $25, and no sales taxes.

I don't even buy anything from a brick and mortar store anymore.

pilouuuu2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 pilouuuu2004
Member since 2004 • 1075 Posts
Digital downloads are the future.
SLUSHiNaToR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SLUSHiNaToR
Member since 2009 • 1366 Posts
Yeah, I noticed that too. I go to a couple gamestops around the area I live and they all have a terrible selection. Hell, I buy most of my games from wal-mart...due to the minimal selection of pc games at my gamestop. :(
RiseAgainst12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RiseAgainst12
Member since 2007 • 6767 Posts

I buy from Game.. they are cheaper than steam for me, and they still have a large pc selection in store.. most stores have more PC games than other platforms. Plus they have a nice 3 for £10, 2 for £15 and 2 for £25 range to get lots of cheap older games. Picked up a copy of Dungeon keepers to a while back for 5 quid :)

Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

Yeah, that's too bad. It's kind of nice being able to browse through games at a brick&mortar store. Sometimes I'll impulse buy at Best Buy for example, but similar to what other people have mentioned, by far I buy most of my games via online retail --- Amazon, GoGamer, and Newegg are great placesfor PC games. In addition, there's always digital distribution as an option as well. Still good times...

iWhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 iWhat
Member since 2009 • 36 Posts

Our main game store which is Gamestop doesn't have absolutely any PC games, as far as I know. But they do have online cards for certain PC games. eg. WoW.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#32 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
The big killer for them is the resell value. They make huge margins on that crap (which if you ask me is terrible) I wish Sony, Nintendo and MS would not allow it. But they would all need to do it at once. It's not going to happen so PC gaming retail gets phased out because their overheads are hugely reduced.
Avatar image for Charles_Dickens
Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Charles_Dickens
Member since 2009 • 1693 Posts

In Canada The Future Shop still has a pretty decent selection of PC games - really good prices too.

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#34 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

Luckily that's not a problem where I live :)

All of the gamestores here sell PC games, and some of them even take and sell USED PC GAMES. Even the local Gamestop has a small bunch of PC games, usually with low prices and great deals.

Mage_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 Mage_7
Member since 2007 • 1065 Posts

Today I called Gamestop asking if they had any copies of L4D for the PC and the man quickly answered no. Usually I wouldnt go to Gamestop but had 50 extra and I wanted L4D (Yeah I Know im Late). So I went there and long behold 3 copies of L4D on the shelf ,but my Gamestop also has like only 40 pc games all new.