XMas '07 for a Low-end PC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

redonion71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 redonion71
Member since 2007 • 26 Posts

Ugh, I'm having a heck of a time finding games to ask for this year because my PC is on the way older side:

• AMD Athlon XP 2900
  • nVidia 6600GT 128Mb
  • 1Gb RAM

I prefer RPGs (single-player; no MMORPGs if you please) and strong adventure games. I've tried to get into RTS but can't do it. Any thoughts about recent titles that will run OK on my machine? Here's a list of some of the recent-ish titles I own and/or am already asking for:

• ESV Oblivion (owned)
  • NWN2 (owned)
  • Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (owned)
  • Guild Wars (owned/tried/hated)
  • NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer (requested XMas)
  • Two Worlds (requested XMas)

Thanks for any thoughts.

Tsunami23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Tsunami23
Member since 2004 • 1352 Posts
Why not ask for new Computer components?
The_PC_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 The_PC_Gamer
Member since 2003 • 2910 Posts
Why not ask for new Computer components?Tsunami23
Avatar image for Deathscyth-Hell
Deathscyth-Hell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Deathscyth-Hell
Member since 2004 • 246 Posts

I really enjoyed morrowind, also I enjoyed overlord, both games should run on your comp fine

I know morrowind is es3 while oblivion is supposed to be "better", but i enjoyed morrowind much more, along with many people i know (i'm not the only person who felt that oblivion was dumbed down for the consoles), and it also has easier demands on the computeing side

gacmyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 gacmyver
Member since 2006 • 386 Posts
I recommend avencast: rise of the mage... good addictive old school with a refreshing combo system that responds amazingly well as well as being able to queue up the combo too! and the graphics are pretty sucky (although the spell effects looks AWESOME) so i think you should be able to play it. if it had half the budget any of the bigger games had it would probably be totally amazing! i really hope they make some money on this one so they can make a really big sequel... damn that would be godly! its my wet wet dream that one is!
redonion71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 redonion71

Thanks for the replies. Morrowind is one of my all-time faves, although I thought Oblivion was disappointing and I never finished it; I mentioned it only because it was a recent purchase and because it runs okay on my current system.

Re. the "new components" suggestion: thanks for that, but the upgrade is going to be an '08 project, and I don't trust anybody in my family to buy components for me. Games though, they can do. :P

I was hoping that I might be able to get The Witcher, which interests me, but the minimum spec. requires an Athlon 64 and I have an Athlon XP; not sure it's going to be playable. (Anybody tried it on a low-end rig like mine?)

harden007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#7 harden007
Member since 2004 • 6884 Posts
think about adding some RAM
redonion71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 redonion71
Never mind re. The Witcher ... there's actually an asterisk in the system specs listing at the Atari Web site that makes it very clear that Athlon XP processors aren't supported. Oh well.
The_PC_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The_PC_Gamer
Member since 2003 • 2910 Posts

Re. the "new components" suggestion: thanks for that, but the upgrade is going to be an '08 project, and I don't trust anybody in my family to buy components for me. Games though, they can do. :P

redonion71

Then just ask for money or a gift certificate and buy the parts yourself.