XFire won't connect

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by DraugenCP (8485 posts) -

So here's a weird problem. Over the past couple of days, XFire has refused to connect even though I have internet connection. I've already checked their FAQ for tips, and I've tried everything: I've accepted XFire through my firewall, accepted the XFire_exception.exe through my firewall, and opened the specific port that XFire uses, but it still times out everytime I try to connect. The weird thing is, I wanted to ask this question at their forums, but they won't load for me. The main page does load, albeit slowly, but when I try to go to the forums, I get the background image to load at best.

So has XFire been causing problems for more people or is this just a problem on my end? Any ideas on how to solve it?

#2 Posted by C_Rule (9816 posts) -
Working fine for me, haven't had any issues with XFire lately. Tried the forums and they also load without fine. Have you got another computer which you can connect to the same network and try XFire?
#3 Posted by DraugenCP (8485 posts) -

Just tried it, and the page wouldn't load on that computer either.

#4 Posted by neatfeatguy (4169 posts) -

DraugenCP
try to run a tracert to www.xfire.com and see what kind of result it brings back. If you're not sure how to do this, it's pretty easy. 1) open a command prompt window (if XP, click on start button then click on Run... - type in "cmd" without the quotes. If Vista or Win 7, click on start button and then in the search bar type in "cmd" without the quotes) 2) in the command window type in "tracert www.xfire.com" (without quotes) and hit the Enter key You should see how many hops you go through to connect with xfire and how long they take. if all you get a "request timed out" responses, you're having issues at that hop and it may be something out of your control to resolve.
#5 Posted by DraugenCP (8485 posts) -

[QUOTE="DraugenCP"]

neatfeatguy

try to run a tracert to www.xfire.com and see what kind of result it brings back. If you're not sure how to do this, it's pretty easy. 1) open a command prompt window (if XP, click on start button then click on Run... - type in "cmd" without the quotes. If Vista or Win 7, click on start button and then in the search bar type in "cmd" without the quotes) 2) in the command window type in "tracert www.xfire.com" (without quotes) and hit the Enter key You should see how many hops you go through to connect with xfire and how long they take. if all you get a "request timed out" responses, you're having issues at that hop and it may be something out of your control to resolve.

Thanks. I got a request time-out, so I'm guessing it's the network? Or could it even be a wider problem (area-bound for instance)?

#6 Posted by neatfeatguy (4169 posts) -

[QUOTE="neatfeatguy"][QUOTE="DraugenCP"]

DraugenCP

Thanks. I got a request time-out, so I'm guessing it's the network? Or could it even be a wider problem (area-bound for instance)?

What spot does it time out for you at? Is it the first or second hop or does it timeout after a handful of them? Just curious as to where it's not connecting for you.

#7 Posted by DraugenCP (8485 posts) -

What spot does it time out for you at? Is it the first or second hop or does it timeout after a handful of them? Just curious as to where it's not connecting for you.neatfeatguy

It times out at the 17th hop.

#8 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (24620 posts) -

[QUOTE="neatfeatguy"]What spot does it time out for you at? Is it the first or second hop or does it timeout after a handful of them? Just curious as to where it's not connecting for you.DraugenCP

It times out at the 17th hop.

which is? post your tracert
also xfire pings fine for me

though at this point you should just ask at dslreports at your isp's section