Xfire bought by new owners

This topic is locked from further discussion.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#1 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

and most of the staff team is leaving. :/ anyone else just get this pop-up? I hope the new owners dont change anything but support more non-mainstream games that have been ignored

Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 Steameffekt
Member since 2008 • 4950 Posts

Yeah, i just got that message too. I was about to post a thread on this now too, but I saw yours. I hope nothing major changes. Xfire is a PC gamers best friend.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#3 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Its okay - I will still retain my active chair on the Xfire board of directors.
ASRCSR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 ASRCSR
Member since 2008 • 2793 Posts

There are only 2 things that could happen, either it will just stay the same or go horribly. Now it could be the greatest thing ever but i highly doubt it so i didn't consider it as one of the possible things that could happen. Also i hope it doesn't become that one business that gets new owners every year... what is this a pizza shop or game service.

tremlesshalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 tremlesshalo
Member since 2004 • 18891 Posts

Did MTV bought them? Cause i went to the site and it shows the MTV logo.

BlackBolt2455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 BlackBolt2455
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
The now previous owners of xfire were Viacom, who also own MTV. I've had xfire since 2006, and although I preferred its simplicity back then, the changes they've made throughout the years have been for the better, I really hope companies like EA or Microsoft haven't picked it up and plan on ruining it by spamming it with adverts and just generally making it bad :/
Avatar image for CrazyKilljoy117
CrazyKilljoy117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 CrazyKilljoy117
Member since 2006 • 1073 Posts

tremlesshalo
That was 4 years ago. But yeah, I got the same message too. Wonder who bought them.
Superfobio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Superfobio

tremlesshalo
No, that was already there. Viacom / MTV Networks has owned them since 2007 or 2008, I forget.
yushir0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 yushir0
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
No wonder who bought them, i hope this doesn't become a commercial product. As far as it was for me, xfire was created only for fun - and so it should continue to be -. But having a great part of the Xfire team left, that only means one thing: it's going to be very big changes (and probably most awful ones). Anyone knows of another product like Xfire? Just wonder the next one i shall move to. PD: Xfire site is down right now. It seems new owners are going to change things right now. The Xfire website is currently down. We expect service to return shortly. Thank you for your devotion and patience.
Superfobio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Superfobio
[QUOTE="yushir0"]No wonder who bought them, i hope this doesn't become a commercial product. As far as it was for me, xfire was created only for fun - and so it should continue to be -. But having a great part of the Xfire team left, that only means one thing: it's going to be very big changes (and probably most awful ones). Anyone knows of another product like Xfire? Just wonder the next one i shall move to.

No need to jump the gun; unless EA or Microsoft bought them Xfire won't necessarily get ruined. But Steam works pretty much the same way. But man, the site's down there's so much traffic.
BlackBolt2455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BlackBolt2455
I bet I go to bed, wake up and it's called like LIVEFire or something lol
yemen_headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 yemen_headshot
Member since 2010 • 514 Posts
yeah I just Read it, i hope they don't screw it
Superfobio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Superfobio

See? http://www.xfire.com/cms/xf_acquisition/yushir0
Once again, that was YEARS ago. People really need to check banners more often.

nintendog66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nintendog66
Member since 2006 • 2300 Posts
Really liked xfire but i've migrated more to the Steam community.
ggnome213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 ggnome213
Member since 2010 • 97 Posts
I liked it a lot better back in 08. I've lost interest in it though. When is Traction Radio coming back anyway?
jamyskis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 jamyskis
Member since 2004 • 779 Posts

The message really sounded like someone had thrown petrol on a fire.

My guess is that whoever purchased it ousted the original development team for someone more "corporate-friendly" and the original team were not happy about it.

Who's betting that EA or Activision are the new owners...?

ggnome213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 ggnome213
Member since 2010 • 97 Posts
I bet GameStop is, they just recently bought out Kongregate.com. :-/
yemen_headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 yemen_headshot
[QUOTE="jamyskis"]

The message really sounded like someone had thrown petrol on a fire.

My guess is that whoever purchased it ousted the original development team for someone more "corporate-friendly" and the original team were not happy about it.

Who's betting that EA or Activision are the new owners...?

RIP Xfire then, anyway is there any "free" program that capture Screenshots and videos ?
BlackBolt2455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BlackBolt2455
No way gamestop has the money to outbid companies like EA and Microsoft, anyway here's a little something something.... This is my Xfire account. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My xfire account is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My xfire account, without me, is useless. Without my xfire account, I am useless. I must logon to my xfire account true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me, on MW2. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will... My xfire account and myself know that what counts in this war is not how many times we login, how long we have been registered for, nor the screenshots we take. We know that it is the hours that count. We will play... My xfire account is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its live video broadcast and its store. I will ever guard it against the ravages of the internet and friends of friends as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against damage. I will keep my xfire account clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will... Before Chris Kirmse, I swear this creed. My xfire account and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is Viacom's, and there is no enemy, but Microsoft!
yemen_headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 yemen_headshot
No way gamestop has the money to outbid companies like EA and Microsoft, anyway here's a little something something.... This is my Xfire account. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My xfire account is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My xfire account, without me, is useless. Without my xfire account, I am useless. I must logon to my xfire account true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me, on MW2. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will... My xfire account and myself know that what counts in this war is not how many times we login, how long we have been registered for, nor the screenshots we take. We know that it is the hours that count. We will play... My xfire account is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its live video broadcast and its store. I will ever guard it against the ravages of the internet and friends of friends as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against damage. I will keep my xfire account clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will... Before Chris Kirmse, I swear this creed. My xfire account and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is Viacom's, and there is no enemy, but Microsoft! BlackBolt2455
relax mate, nothing will happen to your Xfire Account !!
Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Vexx88
Member since 2006 • 33342 Posts
I am just going to uninstall it if Viacom now owns it. Its been a fun ride though.
CrazyKilljoy117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CrazyKilljoy117
I am just going to uninstall it if Viacom now owns it. Its been a fun ride though.Vexx88
Viacom has owned it since 2006, people...
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
i hope this doesnt lead to any questionable moves :( really hoping the new owners continue what xfire was doing, and improve on the features they have
katieskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 katieskye
Member since 2009 • 81 Posts

I actually personally don't like Xfire. I think Raptr is the new up and comer that will do really well. Xfire was great for awhile, it just feels like they are falling behind the curve.

w4rrior17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 w4rrior17
Member since 2010 • 943 Posts
I am just going to uninstall it if Viacom now owns it. Its been a fun ride though.Vexx88
Haha, too funny. Uninstall yet? Or do you really not care about Viacom at all? You just heard some bad things from other people and let them form your opinion for you?
Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Vexx88
Member since 2006 • 33342 Posts
[QUOTE="Vexx88"]I am just going to uninstall it if Viacom now owns it. Its been a fun ride though.CrazyKilljoy117

Well I mean if the original team is gone...
CrazyKilljoy117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CrazyKilljoy117
[QUOTE="CrazyKilljoy117"][QUOTE="Vexx88"]I am just going to uninstall it if Viacom now owns it. Its been a fun ride though.Vexx88

Well I mean if the original team is gone...

Yeah, this is my biggest concern too. I don't like dramatic change :cry:
jamyskis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jamyskis

I'm not a big fan of dramatic change either, but alas, for me it is too late. I have been tempted to the dark side - just look at my signature.

w4rrior17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 w4rrior17
Doesn't Raptr only do Steam games?
jamyskis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jamyskis
Doesn't Raptr only do Steam games?w4rrior17
That's the thing - no it doesn't. In fact, it technically supports as many games as you want it to. You just need to enter details manually unsupported games.
w4rrior17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 w4rrior17
Do you prefer it over XFire? And why/not?
Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Steameffekt
Member since 2008 • 4950 Posts
[QUOTE="w4rrior17"]Do you prefer it over XFire? And why/not?

Hell no. Xfire >>> Raptr
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
So who bought it? Does anyone know anything about that at all, and would you mind sharing? :?
The_PC_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 The_PC_Gamer
Member since 2003 • 2910 Posts

I actually personally don't like Xfire. I think Raptr is the new up and comer that will do really well. Xfire was great for awhile, it just feels like they are falling behind the curve.

katieskye

Behind the curve?? What other game-based messenger even comes CLOSE to the amount of features that Xfire offers? Screenshots, video, support for ALL games (not just steam), voice chat, tons more....

Nagru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 Nagru
Member since 2006 • 1956 Posts

So who bought it? Does anyone know anything about that at all, and would you mind sharing? :?ChiliDragon

According to Tech Crunch, it's some company called "Titan Gaming."

This whole situation seems really weird to me. According to the article Viacom almost undoubtedly sold Xfire for much less than they bought it for, which is really worrying. Add the Xfire team either being fired or quitting, and this whole thing doesn't bode well.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts

This whole situation seems really weird to me. According to the article Viacom almost undoubtedly sold Xfire for much less than they bought it for, which is really worrying. Add the Xfire team either being fired or quitting, and this whole thing doesn't bode well.

Nagru
Those are bad signs... reminds me of how Interplay and Black Isle behaved towards the end... :(
Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
http://www.xfire.com/forums/182619/topic/2073177/ There you go, those are the new owners.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Do you prefer it over XFire? And why/not?w4rrior17

I do. It supports more games/platforms and does everything I want it to do.

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
It would be interesting to see what they change or add to Xfire.
Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Animatronic64
Member since 2010 • 3971 Posts

I stopped using xfire awhile back anyway. Now, all I use is Steam, and it's mainly to talk to a few people as I only buy Valve's games over Steam.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

Still going to use Xfire regardless. My friends still use the service, so going to stick with it.

AraiDaiichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AraiDaiichi
Member since 2010 • 123 Posts

[QUOTE="w4rrior17"]Do you prefer it over XFire? And why/not?Phoenix534

I love rapter as well, I think it'll be soon and they'll have the key features that people like from Xfire.

Also, who said rapter only supports games from steam? Raptor supports FAR more than that.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

[QUOTE="w4rrior17"]Do you prefer it over XFire? And why/not?AraiDaiichi

I love rapter as well, I think it'll be soon and they'll have the key features that people like from Xfire.

Also, who said raptr only supports games from steam? Raptor supports FAR more than that.

This, Raptor supports most games, games that Xfire didn't add for years even if the community complained...for years...but true it doesn't have, video recording, screenshots and doesn't get into detail on games that are being played by friends.
Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
I use Xfire for screenshots and game tracking, as long as those features are in I'll keep using it.
Evilmeanie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#46 Evilmeanie
Member since 2010 • 423 Posts

I dug around a bit on Titan Gaming...

I think that if you are an xfire user, that you might want to prepare for a coming spam storm :) They seem to want to cater to "skill-based gaming" which appears that it will probably mean tournaments with cash payouts. Being able to target competition notices based on what someone plays or has played sounds like pretty good asset.

EM