Xbox controller for an fps?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mx309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mx309
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Alright, i know in most cases, people are going to say mouse and keyboard trumps the controller anyday, but i'm having huge troubles adapting to a mouse and keyboard. I've been an xbox gamer and have been playing games like CoD since CoD4, and even have dipped into some battlefield, and am a far above average player on the xbox so I feel my control on the sticks is great, but i recently dipped into pc CoD and im horrific. Cant blame it on my equipment, because im using a razer nostromo and a razer taipan, so its definitely not my equipment. I've got my sensitivities set really low and still cant get shots on target half the time, especially with single shot weapons, and my hipfire is horrible. Pretty much have gone from a 3 K/D player to about a 1 K/D lol. So my question is, since i've already got the controller knowledge, should i just go out and buy me a decent gaming controller, and ditch the mouse and keyboard? Or is there something im missing?
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

Its just takes time and practice. After a while when you get more precise you wont believe you ever played FPS games with a gamepad. Its really worth your time to just practice and get better.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Alright, i know in most cases, people are going to say mouse and keyboard trumps the controller anyday, but i'm having huge troubles adapting to a mouse and keyboard. I've been an xbox gamer and have been playing games like CoD since CoD4, and even have dipped into some battlefield, and am a far above average player on the xbox so I feel my control on the sticks is great, but i recently dipped into pc CoD and im horrific. Cant blame it on my equipment, because im using a razer nostromo and a razer taipan, so its definitely not my equipment. I've got my sensitivities set really low and still cant get shots on target half the time, especially with single shot weapons, and my hipfire is horrible. Pretty much have gone from a 3 K/D player to about a 1 K/D lol. So my question is, since i've already got the controller knowledge, should i just go out and buy me a decent gaming controller, and ditch the mouse and keyboard? Or is there something im missing?Mx309

only time i use a keyboard and mouse is with Counter-Strike.. i always use a 360 controller

Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts
Its just takes time and practice. After a while when you get more precise you wont believe you ever played FPS games with a gamepad. bonafidetk
This ^ You'll be vastly better with M&KB than you are with the controller in no time. It's no comparison really.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#5 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
360 controller is best for pc games, many games support it but not all do and many that do won't operate quite the same in a multiplayer environment as they do on the consoles because of aim assist I would recommend sticking with the mouse and keyboard for a bit longer. It's just a different tool-set to learn and it is really about muscle memory which is done through repetition much like you have mastered the controller. How low is your sensitivity? I don't think low sens is going to be super helpful for call of duty games.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
I also had trouble early on, when I was firing it felt weird moving my mouse to aim, I was used to triggers and analogues so I wouldn't move my hands, i.e. I wouldn't aim when firing! It takes time. For single player it should be fine using a controller, but for multiplayer you should try to get used to mouse and keyboard.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
You don't have aim assist on PC. Using a gamepad on PC will be nothing like using a gamepad on console (for FPS). The best option is to just get used to M/KB.
Mx309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mx309
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="nutcrackr"]360 controller is best for pc games, many games support it but not all do and many that do won't operate quite the same in a multiplayer environment as they do on the consoles because of aim assist I would recommend sticking with the mouse and keyboard for a bit longer. It's just a different tool-set to learn and it is really about muscle memory which is done through repetition much like you have mastered the controller. How low is your sensitivity? I don't think low sens is going to be super helpful for call of duty games.

My sensitivity in game is like, 1.5 or something low like that. Anything higher than that i flick the mouse around too fast and end up doing a 90 degree turn just trying to aim straight, or trying to shoot something running left or right in front of me, i can never get on target I always end up shooting way infront of them. I think its most in part that this mouse has a 8200 dpi and that WAY more than im used to using a standard cheapy 15 dollar mouse from wal mart.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Yes. Do whichever you enjoy more. I use the M&K when playing a straight up shooter like CS Source, but with a game like Syndicate, with all the different powers and such I preferred using a gamepad.
JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
[QUOTE="bonafidetk"]Its just takes time and practice. After a while when you get more precise you wont believe you ever played FPS games with a gamepad. Mcspanky37
This ^ You'll be vastly better with M&KB than you are with the controller in no time. It's no comparison really.

You'll be vastly better than this^ with controller/mouse hybrid setup.
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

[QUOTE="nutcrackr"]360 controller is best for pc games, many games support it but not all do and many that do won't operate quite the same in a multiplayer environment as they do on the consoles because of aim assist I would recommend sticking with the mouse and keyboard for a bit longer. It's just a different tool-set to learn and it is really about muscle memory which is done through repetition much like you have mastered the controller. How low is your sensitivity? I don't think low sens is going to be super helpful for call of duty games. Mx309
My sensitivity in game is like, 1.5 or something low like that. Anything higher than that i flick the mouse around too fast and end up doing a 90 degree turn just trying to aim straight, or trying to shoot something running left or right in front of me, i can never get on target I always end up shooting way infront of them. I think its most in part that this mouse has a 8200 dpi and that WAY more than im used to using a standard cheapy 15 dollar mouse from wal mart.

Thats way to high lower it down to around 1200-2000 dpi in the razer control panel. High dpi is a gimmick and can cause negative mouse accleration in games(faster you move the mouse slower it moves your in game cursor which is bad for pc gaming) not to mention make games and windows desktop way to sensitive. I personally use my razer lachesis at 1500dpi. Also in your windows control panel go to mouse and under the pointer options tab uncheck enhance pointer precision to turn off mouse accleration(Faster you move mouse the further your mouse cursor moves) which is also bad for gaming. This will probably feel really wierd at first but will give you mor consistent aim once you get used to it. Adjust your sensitivity in game accordignly after this you might want to try playing some none competive co-op fps games like Killing Floor or Left 4 Dead 2 to help you get used to mouse aiming.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SaltyMeatballs
Yes. Do whichever you enjoy more. I use the M&K when playing a straight up shooter like CS Source, but with a game like Syndicate, with all the different powers and such I preferred using a gamepad.guynamedbilly
For that a gaming mouse will do, or a mouse with more buttons, but I agree, I'm playing Deus Ex and I just about have enough mouse buttons and keyboard flexibility to use all abilities whilst staying agile in the game, I notice a lot of the times I have to move my fingers away from WASD movement keys to use things which hampers my movement!
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

When I switched to PC it took me a good 3-4 months of solid gaming to get used to it comfortably, it's quite a different setup and takes a lot of practice and patience. Just jump into the deep end and play some games for a while and it will come to you. I would never suggest a 360 controller for FPS games, never. For third person I would but never ever a First person game. When you get used to a mouse you will wonder how you ever played FPS games without it. Seriously.

After you get used to the basics it will take you some more time to memorise where a lot of Keyboard keys are. I still hit wrong ones after a year of PC gaming :P

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
Just get used to KB/M. No matter how good you are with a controller, an average player with KB/M is going to have quicker and more precise aim. Keep in mind that the average PC FPS player is more older and more experienced compared to console players. You're not going to find lobbies filled with kids under 15 who just got their Xbox for their birthday or Xmas. I used to do really well on consoles and would usually be in the top 3 in every match but even after 2 years experience on PC, I still am just an average player.
infofrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 infofrog
Member since 2012 • 231 Posts
I had the same problem here . I went and pick up a nice mouse . G 500. Has on the fly adjustment dpi built on the mouse . Work on dpi adjusting . I got ok . Then the keyboard was a problem. Still is . I saw a post about keypad g13 . I google it . Then went to best buy check it out. Like it . Bought it . Never look back . The g13 keypad keys are all programmable to what function you need pre game . Now when I play the Xbox . I really suck with the controller . Moves to slow .
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

It takes time. I still believe a thumbstick works better for movement than WASD, but a mouse is by far the best aiming device (especially if you have mappable buttons for reload and switching guns, IMO).

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
[QUOTE="Mcspanky37"][QUOTE="bonafidetk"]Its just takes time and practice. After a while when you get more precise you wont believe you ever played FPS games with a gamepad. JKnaperek

You'll be vastly better than this^ with controller/mouse hybrid setup.

I can't imagine why - sounds awkward and pointless.
Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts
keyboard trumps the controller anydayMx309
Don't worry. That is just a lie.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

You don't have aim assist on PC. Using a gamepad on PC will be nothing like using a gamepad on console (for FPS). The best option is to just get used to M/KB.C_Rule

This.

When you're playing COD on xbox, you've got aim assist. Whether you want it or not, it's there. It's there, at least to a small degree, on every shooter there is on consoles. Using an xbox controller for a PC fps might feel a little better for you, since you're used to it, but you'll still find you're not doing anywhere near as well as you did on xbox, because there won't be any aim assist. In some games, you can turn on aim assist during the single player, but obviously not during MP. Plus, besides the lack of aim assist, 99% of everyone else playing any given PC fps is going to be using mouse/keyboard, and even if you're a pro on xbox, mediocre players with m/kb will be dominating you left and right. If you're playing single player games, go ahead and use whatever control scheme is comfortable for you, but don't expect to compete in anything MP if you don't just get used to the m/kb. And, as someone else said, once you get used to it, you really will start to wonder how you ever played a shooter on a console before.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

It takes time. I still believe a thumbstick works better for movement than WASD, but a mouse is by far the best aiming device (especially if you have mappable buttons for reload and switching guns, IMO).

Basinboy

thumbsticks are worse for strafing fast when you need to mirror your opponents movement

also you need a lot of binds in a game like quake live, so thumbsticks are out of the quesiton anyway.

maybe you'll see why they are worse in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gIJL6lT_7Y&t=13m17s&hd=1

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SaltyMeatballs

[QUOTE="Basinboy"]

JigglyWiggly_

thumbsticks are worse for strafing fast when you need to mirror your opponents movement

also you need a lot of binds in a game like quake live, so thumbsticks are out of the quesiton anyway.

I don't see why in the video.
gt350tsc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gt350tsc
Member since 2004 • 488 Posts

Its just takes time and practice. After a while when you get more precise you wont believe you ever played FPS games with a gamepad. Its really worth your time to just practice and get better.

bonafidetk
Yep, I only use my 360 pad when I'm using my laptop when I can't find a place for my razer naga. As for gaming my desktop I like my razer naga, razer nostromo and razer mouse pad Before I got my razer naga, razer nostromo and razer mouse pad I did''t really think much of mouse and keyboard but I after I got those to things I'm never going back to normal mouse, keyboard and mouse pad ever. Razers stuff is on the pricey side but worth the money imo.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

I don't see why in the video.SaltyMeatballs

I don't play QL, but I think the point is that thumbsticks aren't efficient enough for strafing like in this video where you want to mirror your opponent instead of trying to catch him with the mouse. The joystick allows for too much error. The moment you stand still, you're dead. Basically it's not good enough for competitive or fast-pasted shooters, which has been pretty much been debated to death with the same outcome that KB/M is superior in every aspect.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

[QUOTE="Basinboy"]

SaltyMeatballs

I don't see why in the video.

you need to counter strafe extremely quick, you will be noticibly slower reacting with a thumbstick. There is never going to be a need to move slower than 100% However, if you want to walk, just hold shift. You are never going to need values inbetween.

lg duels aren't about mouseaim only, it's about movement, trickery, and reactions.

e.g my friend espylacopa he has 140ms reaction time(which is better than most top athletes, and is in the 1%, he's in the navy), his movements are very deceptive, look at his strafes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21JHuXqrp34&t=3m24s

my mouseaim is better, but he beats me most of the time. You need to focus on your movement much more than your aim, quake live is the definitive game for your movement ability, and an analogue thumbstick is far too slow.

also he beats yz50 in lg duels due to his movement, even though yz50 is the best arena mouse aimer. (He's the tf2 pro)

EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts
Honestly unless you playing multiplayer, it fine to use a controller if you don't like KB/M. Multiplayer is the only time I would say it's necessary to use KB/M
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JigglyWiggly_
btw this is a comparison between mouse and keyboard vs controller http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF5hqdc510g there was a thread a while back, didn't go too well for the controller user. to be fair, I could do that against most of every1 on gs regardless if they are using mouse and keyboard.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

btw this is a comparison between mouse and keyboard vs controller http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF5hqdc510g there was a thread a while back, didn't go too well for the controller user. to be fair, I could do that against most of every1 on gs regardless if they are using mouse and keyboard.JigglyWiggly_

Wasn't that when heeeeweee or whoever that idiot was actually challenged you with a 360 controller? Some glorious ownage that day.

Zebracal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zebracal
Member since 2013 • 56 Posts
I'd say practice with both types. For me it is not a big deal whether you are playing with a mouse and keyboard or controller. It will not make much of a difference if you get pawned all the time. Practice, patience, concentration, and discipline is all you need.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]btw this is a comparison between mouse and keyboard vs controller http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF5hqdc510g there was a thread a while back, didn't go too well for the controller user. to be fair, I could do that against most of every1 on gs regardless if they are using mouse and keyboard.ChubbyGuy40

Wasn't that when heeeeweee or whoever that idiot was actually challenged you with a 360 controller? Some glorious ownage that day.

yeah thread here http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/28980382/why-gamepads-are-not-good-for-fpss-clearly-my-opinion-and-not-fact?page=1
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

Alright, i know in most cases, people are going to say mouse and keyboard trumps the controller anyday, but i'm having huge troubles adapting to a mouse and keyboard. I've been an xbox gamer and have been playing games like CoD since CoD4, and even have dipped into some battlefield, and am a far above average player on the xbox so I feel my control on the sticks is great, but i recently dipped into pc CoD and im horrific. Cant blame it on my equipment, because im using a razer nostromo and a razer taipan, so its definitely not my equipment. I've got my sensitivities set really low and still cant get shots on target half the time, especially with single shot weapons, and my hipfire is horrible. Pretty much have gone from a 3 K/D player to about a 1 K/D lol. So my question is, since i've already got the controller knowledge, should i just go out and buy me a decent gaming controller, and ditch the mouse and keyboard? Or is there something im missing?Mx309

I can understand thats its not easy going to k/m controls when you're used to a controller but I'd still suggest you to be patient, practise until you get used to K/M controls since its much better and you'll have less of a disadvantage over other PC gamers !!

It also happend to me when I got back into PC gaming after 8yrs of console only gaming !!

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

I came to PC from consoles, and I was having a little trouble adapting to keyboard and mouse too. But after a while, I started to get used to it and got comfortable with it. I also feel that it's a much better control scheme for FPS games, I got better with it now.

So, you should spend longer on keyboard and mouse, and see if you can adapt to it.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I've played a lot of different genres on my pc so far and not once have i felt the need to go out and buy an Xbox 360 controller for any of my games. KB/M is just so friggen awesome and like everyone says it just takes a little getting used to at first.

couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#34 couly
Member since 2004 • 6276 Posts
Always M&K for First Person Shooters, Controllers for Third Person Shooters and everything else, except racing games, always a steering wheel.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
I don't understand why people would say M/KB for first person shooters but gamepad for third person shooters. Anything that involves aiming feels clumsy with a gamepad. If it's something like GTA or Saints Row, I'll use M/KB and gamepad.
Benficafan_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Benficafan_101
Member since 2004 • 404 Posts
I have no problems using my Onza Razer controller for PC on multiplayer. I don't use aim assist on consoles anyways.Started playing without it and can't go back . M/KB is vastly overrated . I do just fine with a controller
couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#37 couly
Member since 2004 • 6276 Posts
I also like the vibration using a controller, but still choose M&K for First Person Shooters.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Remember the average player on PC is better.

I play way more PC than PS3, but I have BC2 on PS3 and would do very well, whereas I'd consider myself average in most PC fps.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JigglyWiggly_

Remember the average player on PC is better.

I play way more PC than PS3, but I have BC2 on PS3 and would do very well, whereas I'd consider myself average in most PC fps.

kraken2109
yeh but console players don't improve they are the same day 1 as day 9000
alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 alan_carter
Member since 2009 • 1404 Posts

I know ppl who are rly good at halo n these xbox games but can't hold the view steady using kb/mouse. They won't change.

U can use ur controller in blops 2 pc i think, see for urself if u do any better if it feels comfy in ur hands.

I use the ps3 controller on most 3rd person games, and for example, in L.A Noire i switch to keyb and mouse during shootings cos controller is a pain aiming.