Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

Howdy fellas.

I got a problem getting my X360 controller (which comes with a 2009 Arcade Xbox 360) to work on my laptop. I'm on 64-bit Windows 8.1, and have installed 64-bit Windows 7 driver for the controller (because there are no drivers for Windows 8; presumably Windows 8 has the driver by itself). After plugging in, the Devices and Printers section of the Control Panel categorizes the X360 Controller as Unspecified. I tried troubleshooting from the right-click menu in there, and the best answer I could get was "The Xbox 360 controller via play and charge kit uses an older version of USB and might not work properly on USB 3." (which is very unreasonable, how can a device not function on a more technically advanced hardware?) Anyway, I only have USB 3 ports on my laptop, so I can't try USB 2.

If you guys know a solution, I'd be grateful if you shared it here. I'm losing sleep over this issue!

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By elkoldo

Four your ease, I provided some shots. (Don't mind the background photos, they're dynamic.)

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#3 elessarGObonzo
Member since 2008 • 2677 Posts

so you tried a USB 2.0 port? i have never seen a device that doesn't have at least one 2.0 for older mice, etc.

should be one that is not blue.

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 elkoldo

@elessarGObonzo: No there's no USB 2 on this laptop. Only three USB 3 ports. ASUS fucked up.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@elkoldo said:

@elessarGObonzo: No there's no USB 2 on this laptop. Only three USB 3 ports. ASUS fucked up.

Can't see why this is a problem? it's compatible with USB1 & 2 devices as well.

Make sure you installed the driver for the 360 controller.

whalefish82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 whalefish82
Member since 2013 • 511 Posts

USB 2 should work in a 3 slot so I'd try manually downloading and installing the controller drivers. https://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-gb/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Lol you can't connect a wireless 360 controller to PC via USB

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Basically this, IIRC not even the Xbox 360 transferred data over the USB cable when it's plugged into the wireless controller, only power. If you want the wireless controller to work on your PC you'll need the wireless controller receiver dongle.

willre00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 willre00
Member since 2012 • 158 Posts

I was having a problem that sounds exactly like what you are describing. I followed these steps and it worked perfectly.

To Do this

1.Right click on Computer

2.Go to Properties

3.Click on Device Manager

4.Right click on the Unidentified Device

5.Go to Properties

6.Go to the Drive tab

7.Click on "Update Driver"

8.Browse my computer for driver software

9.Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer

10.Microsoft Common Controller for Window Class

11."Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows"

12.Update Driver Warning

13.Click Yes

I hope this resolves all your issues! I know I was also losing sleep over the issue!

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

"which is very unreasonable, how can a device not function on a more technically advanced hardware" Are you new to technology?

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#13 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

Is this the Windows version of the wireless Xbox 360 controller where it has a receiver? I have two of those and it works fine. Then again mines is USB 2.0 or older on my PC. It would be an interesting development if there is an issue with Windows 8.1/USB 3.0 not working with Windows Xbox 360 wireless controller.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@Xtasy26 said:

Is this the Windows version of the wireless Xbox 360 controller where it has a receiver? I have two of those and it works fine. Then again mines is USB 2.0 or older on my PC. It would be an interesting development if there is an issue with Windows 8.1/USB 3.0 not working with Windows Xbox 360 wireless controller.

No, he has the Charge and Play Kit hooked up to his PC, which is why it says he has the Charge and Play Kit hooked up to his PC.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

It wouldn't work, you need the PC version of the wireless controller with the receiver.

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 elkoldo
@KHAndAnime said:

@General_X said:
@KHAndAnime said:

Basically this, IIRC not even the Xbox 360 transferred data over the USB cable when it's plugged into the wireless controller, only power. If you want the wireless controller to work on your PC you'll need the wireless controller receiver dongle.

Gentlemen, there' s a how-to manual for using the WIRED controller on PC.

@bulby_g said:

It wouldn't work, you need the PC version of the wireless controller with the receiver.

If you have already bought an Xbox 360 console, then you have payed for an Xbox 360 controller as well.

But if that's really the case, that you have to pay for another X360 controller to play on PC, it's pure extortion. Paying twice for basically the same thing. But then again, that's hardly a surprise. Microsoft's pig-filthy policies. Extortion.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@elkoldo said:
@KHAndAnime said:

@General_X said:
@KHAndAnime said:

Gentlemen, there' s a how-to manual for using the WIRED controller on PC.

@bulby_g said:

If you have already bought an Xbox 360 console, then you have payed for an Xbox 360 controller as well.

But if that's really the case, that you have to pay for another X360 controller to play on PC, it's pure extortion. Paying twice for basically the same thing. But then again, that's hardly a surprise. Microsoft's pig-filthy policies. Extortion.

You clearly have no idea how a lot of this technology works do you.....

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

No need to be rude guys.

My main man @elkoldo, how are you doing? Long time no see in OT, hopefully you are having some fun playing games.

I'm not too familiar with PC gaming either and a couple of years ago when I downloaded Deus Ex: Invisible War through Stream I was ready too to start playing with my 360 controller unbeknownst to me that I couldn't simply plug and play.

This is the device that you need to play with your 360 controller in your PC.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Xtasy26

@KHAndAnime said:
@Xtasy26 said:

No, he has the Charge and Play Kit hooked up to his PC, which is why it says he has the Charge and Play Kit hooked up to his PC.

I guess now we know why TC can't get his Xbox 360 controller to work. He doesn't have the Windows version of the Xbox 360 controller that has the receiver. Which is a relief to me, for a second, I thought it was USB 3.0 issue, which would be pain in the ass as any new motherboards that has USB 3.0 would have rendered my two Xbox 360 controllers useless.

@Master_Live said:

No need to be rude guys.

My main man @elkoldo, how are you doing? Long time no see in OT, hopefully you are having some fun playing games.

I'm not too familiar with PC gaming either and a couple of years ago when I downloaded Deus Ex: Invisible War through Stream I was ready too to start playing with my 360 controller unbeknownst to me that I couldn't simply plug and play.

You should give that a shot TC. I thought about buying a regular Xbox 360 controller and the receiver separately but decided not to, instead I brought the "whole package" which included the Windows Xbox 360 controller + the receiver. I didn't want to have any compatibility issues.

It would be interesting to know if the regular console version of the Xbox 360 controller would simply work by having adding in the receiver.

Since I have two Windows Xbox 360 controller. If I recall correctly, you have to have the receiver match the Xbox 360 controller that came with it. I may test it out by trying the two controllers with the same receiver to see if it works.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@Xtasy26 said:

@Master_Live said:

No need to be rude guys.

It would be interesting to know if the regular console version of the Xbox 360 controller would simply work by having adding in the receiver.

In my case, that's what I did and it worked.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#21  Edited By elessarGObonzo
Member since 2008 • 2677 Posts
@PredatorRules said:
@elkoldo said:

Can't see why this is a problem? it's compatible with USB1 & 2 devices as well.

Make sure you installed the driver for the 360 controller.

would seem that they are all backwards compatible reading USB 3.0 specs but i have a couple old portable mice that will not function through 3.0. no lights, no lasers. only through older ports.

when originally reading i just figured he was using a wired gamepad, but it really wouldn't make sense that the plugged versions wouldn't work with USB 3.0 considering they're newer technology. will a wireless 360 gamepad work through that same USB plug OP mentions on a 360?

@elkoldo: what they are stating is correct: the Gamepad may be charging but it is not transmitting data to the PC. any Wireless 360 Gamepad for Windows dongle will work with any 360 wireless gamepad. i've been through a few of the dongles over the years and my 360 Gamepad for Windows and a few of my friends 360 versions, which are exactly the same gamepad, have all been recognized with no problem every time. no drivers needed, Microsoft is pretty much betting on you buying this gamepad, most newer games will only support this one pad without emulator softwares.

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By elkoldo

@Master_Live: Master, the rain man. How's it going dear old brother? I've been pretty busy with life and studies. I'm preparing for a Master's (!) program in mathematics, so that's one of the reasons I'm not spending too much time in the internet. There are of course other reasons for the absence as well, such as the internet being like opium, addictive, keeping you away from the real life, and also a fallout with an OT moderator, who took himself seriously when I made a joke thread and kill-blocked me. The story dates back several months, and I have visited GS very few time ever since. Maybe if it wasn't for the 360 controller, I would've never bothered to type in another thread!

Glad to hear from you Master. Keep up the fine work.

@elessarGObonzo: , @Xtasy26: @Master_Live: I now have a clear idea of what must be done. It's either the Windows Xbox 360 controller - the whole package which apparently costs 40 bucks - or the Xbox 360 controller with the receiver (dongle). I have the controller already, so I have to pay 20 bucks for the receiver.

@Nick3306: @kaealy: You sure seem to have lot of knowledge about technology. But if you don't wanna share your knowledge with those who don't have it, then don't bother to post in a similar thread in future.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@elkoldo said:

@Master_Live: Master, the rain man. How's it going dear old brother? I've been pretty busy with life and studies. I'm preparing for a Master's (!) program in mathematics, so that's one of the reasons I'm not spending too much time in the internet. There are of course other reasons for the absence as well, such as the internet being like opium, addictive, keeping you away from the real life, and also a fallout with an OT moderator, who took himself seriously when I made a joke thread and kill-blocked me. The story dates back several months, and I have visited GS very few time ever since. Maybe if it wasn't for the 360 controller, I would've never bothered to type in another thread!

Glad to hear from you Master. Keep up the fine work.

@elessarGObonzo: , @Xtasy26: @Master_Live: I now have a clear idea of what must be done. It's either the Windows Xbox 360 controller - the whole package which apparently costs 40 bucks - or the Xbox 360 controller with the receiver (dongle). I have the controller already, so I have to pay 20 bucks for the receiver.

@Nick3306: @kaealy: You sure seem to have lot of knowledge about technology. But if you don't wanna share your knowledge with those who don't have it, then don't bother to post in a similar thread in future.

I'm not going to get into details when it wasn't relevant to the topic. I'll admit that i shouldn't have posted at all seeing as i was 90% sure your post was a troll post. Telling me not to post in a similar thread in the future is so hypocritical since your post did nothing to contribute to the thread except make baseless claims about what you don't understand.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Xtasy26

@elkoldo said:

I now have a clear idea of what must be done. It's either the Windows Xbox 360 controller - the whole package which apparently costs 40 bucks - or the Xbox 360 controller with the receiver (dongle). I have the controller already, so I have to pay 20 bucks for the receiver.

Please let up know. I would be very interested to see if this is a USB 3.0 issue. I would hate to have to shell out another $100 just to get a USB 3.0 compatible Xbox 360 controller.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

@Xtasy26 said:
@elkoldo said:

I now have a clear idea of what must be done. It's either the Windows Xbox 360 controller - the whole package which apparently costs 40 bucks - or the Xbox 360 controller with the receiver (dongle). I have the controller already, so I have to pay 20 bucks for the receiver.

Please let up know. I would be very interested to see if this is a USB 3.0 issue. I would hate to have to shell out another $100 just to get a USB 3.0 compatible Xbox 360 controller.

It isn't an USB problem. He just assumed that the wireless 360 controller is 100% compatible with PC and it isn't, you need a wireless receiver. He was basically just charging his batteries via USB.

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 elkoldo
@glez13 said:
@Xtasy26 said:
@elkoldo said:

It isn't an USB problem. He just assumed that the wireless 360 controller is 100% compatible with PC and it isn't, you need a wireless receiver. He was basically just charging his batteries via USB.

Yes there's 99.99% chance that this is the case. But don't worry ATI lover boy, I'll let you know as soon as I buy the receiver.