X360 Wireless Controller on PC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Caboose84020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Caboose84020
Member since 2007 • 61 Posts

Okay, so I want to play Games for Windows on my laptop, it's got a Asus RoG, and it has a built-in infrared receiver. I have downloaded and installed Microsoft Xbox 360 Accessories Status, but I do not have the official Wireless Gaming Adapter. Is there a way to connect my wireless controller to my laptop using the integrated infrared receiver? (I do have the eHome Infrared Transceiver drivers)

Also I have Windows 7 64 bit.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Okay, so I want to play Games for Windows on my laptop, it's got a Asus RoG, and it has a built-in infrared receiver. I have downloaded and installed Microsoft Xbox 360 Accessories Status, but I do not have the official Wireless Gaming Adapter. Is there a way to connect my wireless controller to my laptop using the integrated infrared receiver? (I do have the eHome Infrared Transceiver drivers)

Also I have Windows 7 64 bit.

Caboose84020

The wireless controller uses wifi, not infrared, to connect to the Xbox 360 and also the PC.

Edit: It occurs to me that this confusion may have been caused by the presence of an infrared reciever on the front of the Xbox 360. This is not used for the Xbox 360 controllers. That port is used for infrared remote controls, which are typically used for the Xbox's Media Center functionality.

-Byshop

Caboose84020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Caboose84020
So, I guess I'll need the official adapter then?
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Byshop  Moderator

I'm afraid so. There may be some 3rd party options available but if so I'm not aware of them. Even if there were, you'd still be stuck buying another piece of hardware so you may as well go the official route. The part isn't that expensive ($24 US off of Amazon) and it works like a charm. I personally have several for my assorted gaming PCs. They are recognized natively in Windows Vista and up, as are the individual controllers. If you plug a headset into the controller, it is recognized by the PC as an extra microphone. Every button and analog axis is supported on PC and you can even use the actual Xbox 360 control layout in many (but not all) Games For Windows titles.

-Byshop

singo79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 singo79
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
So, I guess I'll need the official adapter then?Caboose84020
Can you confirm how old your controller is? The reason that I ask is because it can effect the compatibility between the controller and the new wireless PC receiver. I have been there and been burnt unfortunately, as my original wireless controller (bought when I bought my Xbox360 back in 2006) was not compatible with the new wireless receiver for windows. Apparently it has to do with the firmware on the original controller. If you bought the controller in the last year or two I can't imagine it being a problem. But I ended up contacting Microsoft and they advised me that there was a known issue due to the firmware. In the end I had a wireless receiver that I couldn't use and had to end up buying an Xbox360 controller for Windows. Just do some more homework before making the decision to outlay any money.
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
Cant you buy the wired USB ones anymore?
Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1650 Posts

I don't know about the wireless pads from 2006, but my pad is from 2007 and receiver is from about the same year, works fine and works on a new 360 pad a bought a few weeks ago.

May find it hard to get the receiver on its own these days, as it appears MS have stopped making them as a stand alone device, bundling them instead with the Wireless 360 pad for Windows. If you buy the pad for Windows, don't worry you can use it on the 360 too.

Otherwise, if your not far from the PC, just buy the wired pad. It doesn't have to be the Windows one as you can download the driver online.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
The wireless controller uses wifiByshop
Not Wi-Fi, or Bluetooth (which the PS3 and Wii use). Some sort of proprietary 2.4 GHz protocol. Anyway, the USB wireless adapter is indeed needed. Don't bother with a Play & Charge kit, because it won't use USB for data, just power. The default MS drivers suck for DirectInput, though...too bad that replacing them with XBCD means no XInput without an XInput emulator, and then you'll lose rumble feedback.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Byshop  Moderator

Not Wi-Fi, or Bluetooth (which the PS3 and Wii use). Some sort of proprietary 2.4 GHz protocol.NamelessPlayer

I know, but I didn't feel that level of technical detail really added to the discussion. 8) The point was that it was radio and not infrared.

-Byshop

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NamelessPlayer

[QUOTE="NamelessPlayer"]Not Wi-Fi, or Bluetooth (which the PS3 and Wii use). Some sort of proprietary 2.4 GHz protocol.Byshop

I know, but I didn't feel that level of technical detail really added to the discussion. 8) The point was that it was radio and not infrared.

-Byshop

True, though I don't want people to get the wrong idea and think that Wi-Fi is for something other than TCP/IP in normal usage. Has any input device other than a TV remote even USED infrared for wireless communication in the last ten years? (Other than IrDA keyboards for PDAs in the pre-Bluetooth era, of course.)
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Byshop  Moderator

True, though I don't want people to get the wrong idea and think that Wi-Fi is for something other than TCP/IP in normal usage. Has any input device other than a TV remote even USED infrared for wireless communication in the last ten years? (Other than IrDA keyboards for PDAs in the pre-Bluetooth era, of course.)NamelessPlayer

Acutally yeah. Turtle Beach has a model of wireless headset for PC and Xbox 360 that uses infrared wireless (not the best sound quality but it works ok, also the concept of infrared wireless audio is actually a pretty old one). Also, the shutter glasses on 3D TVs use an infrared signal to sync their shutter action with the 120hz picture. There are weird examples here and there.

-Byshop

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Byshop  Moderator

Oh, and of course the Nintentdo Wii controller. Totally obvious one I forgot about.

-Byshop

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NamelessPlayer
The Wiimote uses an IR camera for tracking position relative to a "sensor bar" that's really just an IR LED array, but the interface to/from the Wii is Bluetooth. It's like a TrackIR in reverse, only TrackIR uses USB for data. I never though they'd make wireless audio equipment dependent on IR, though. RF, perhaps, but not IR...then again, RF might interfere with the sound quality more. As for shutterglasses, you're definitely right there-even some of the older ones for PCs made back in the early 2000s or so had wireless versions that used infrared to sync the shutter and display.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Byshop  Moderator

The Wiimote uses an IR camera for tracking position relative to a "sensor bar" that's really just an IR LED array, but the interface to/from the Wii is Bluetooth. It's like a TrackIR in reverse, only TrackIR uses USB for data. I never though they'd make wireless audio equipment dependent on IR, though. RF, perhaps, but not IR...then again, RF might interfere with the sound quality more. As for shutterglasses, you're definitely right there-even some of the older ones for PCs made back in the early 2000s or so had wireless versions that used infrared to sync the shutter and display.NamelessPlayer

Yes, I know the Wiimote uses Bluetooth for the interface but you didn't specify what context the IR had to be used in. :P

I had forgotten about TrackIR. I never got one myself but the flight sim afficianados love it. Personally I'm not keen on wearing an IR "bindi" on my head while I play games. :)

If we are getting really obscure then VR gloves also use IR for positional tracking.

-Byshop

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NamelessPlayer

Yes, I know the Wiimote uses Bluetooth for the interface but you didn't specify what context the IR had to be used in. :P

I had forgotten about TrackIR. I never got one myself but the flight sim afficianados love it. Personally I'm not keen on wearing an IR "bindi" on my head while I play games. :)

If we are getting really obscure then VR gloves also use IR for positional tracking.

-Byshop

Byshop
I was figuring that the TC meant IR in terms of data communication, so I went along with that. TrackIR is a godsend for the games that support it. Too bad it's rarely supported outside of hardcore simulations. Having to put on a tracking clip doesn't really bother me, though. (Admitted, I'd prefer a TrackClip Pro because I wear headphones while using my PC, but I'm not spending $35 on what is basically a three-LED array on a clip.) As for VR gloves, I've never used them, but I've heard that the Essential Reality P5 Glove does indeed use IR positional tracking along the lines of a Wiimote or TrackIR.
Caboose84020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Caboose84020

[QUOTE="Caboose84020"]So, I guess I'll need the official adapter then?singo79
Can you confirm how old your controller is? The reason that I ask is because it can effect the compatibility between the controller and the new wireless PC receiver. I have been there and been burnt unfortunately, as my original wireless controller (bought when I bought my Xbox360 back in 2006) was not compatible with the new wireless receiver for windows. Apparently it has to do with the firmware on the original controller. If you bought the controller in the last year or two I can't imagine it being a problem. But I ended up contacting Microsoft and they advised me that there was a known issue due to the firmware. In the end I had a wireless receiver that I couldn't use and had to end up buying an Xbox360 controller for Windows. Just do some more homework before making the decision to outlay any money.

Well, the controller I use came with my new X360 Elite, Christmas of last year. (2009)

Cant you buy the wired USB ones anymore?Iantheone

I don't like the Mad Catz ones or whatever they are. I like Mircrosoft's design much better.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Byshop  Moderator

Yeah, the Mad Catz controllers aren't that great (except for their arcade sticks).

The P5 glove is garbage. I have one and it's a pretty crappy device supported by only a handful of games. The Nintendo Powerglove also used the same sort of system.

-Byshop