WoW shouldnt be this populer.....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SgtSilock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 SgtSilock
Member since 2005 • 3167 Posts

Ok, everquest (the orginal) is pretty much obslete now.. whenever people talking about the mmo genre they will always say "World of warcraft pioneered it" or somthing like that... well, let me just say even though its mega populer.. it shouldnt be. There are so many, great great mmos out there.

I am just gonna name some.

First and foremost: Everquest 2. Everquest 2 is an amazing game, the combat is fantastic, the features of the game are fantastic, its basicly world of warcraft but more modern and more thrilling.. why Everquest 2 isnt on WoW's level is beyond me, because in my mind it supasses it.. only reason EQ 2 is falling is because of how god damn populer wow is!! Give EQ 2 a chance guys!

Secondly, Lord of the Rings Online - Again, another fantastic MMO. Amazing graphics, great gameplay, great features if you liked wow you will love this. I can almost garentee it. Hopefully this one will become populer.. but we will have to wait and see.

Thridly: City Of Heroes.. ok so you have played WoW, you have experienced Tradeskills, Auctionhouseing and all this other community junk, well how about you try some pure fast focused combat? City Of Heroes offers the best team experience you can get from any mmo. All it basicly is, is just combat but it is fun, thrilling, engageng and above all else you feel like a superhero. Give it a chance!

Thats all i will give for now, hopefully all these millions and millions and god damn millions of wow players will come away from this game for a while and try some other mmos. Remember. .World of warcraft is just an MMO that took features from other MMOs and refinied them and made them user friendly... its not the ONLY MMO, its not the ONLY GOOD MMO, its not the REVOULTIONLY MMO.. its just ANOTHER MMO that is just user friendly.... so please, listen to what i have told u and just give some other MMOs a shot.. because they are all really fun and if you enjoyed WoW you will enjoy by the very least ONE of these titles i have said.

My currently mega mmo atm is Everquest 2 - I HIGHLY recommend it. But then again i highly recommend all these games : ) So go ahead! Go ahead and experience other mmos and whitness the essence of multiplayer gaming : )

Erandel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Erandel
Member since 2004 • 1164 Posts

While I think its noble of you to try, you also need to post this message on other forums, people may not even visit this site. Also people will often choose the MMORPG they are comfortable with and many people are sucked into the cartoony WoW world which is why its successful (also I guess the branding helps). Good luck with your attempt though.

ShotGunBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ShotGunBunny
Member since 2004 • 2184 Posts
Hmm, and I recommend simply not playing MMOG's. :)
weirjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 weirjf
Member since 2002 • 2392 Posts

"World of warcraft pioneered it" or somthing like that... well, let me just say even though its mega populer.. it shouldnt be.

Phantsy16

That's your opinion, and you're welcome to it... but you're wrong. You really need to look at it realistically... Bliz has a monstrous fan base because they always release top-notch games with awesome feel and humor. WoW is easy to play but also has the hard-core difficulty/time sink which most games have one or the other. The "feel" of the world environment is what really gets a lot of people.

I don't play WoW anymore because I got sick of the grind and raid time-sink. However, it took over 2 years for me to get to that point. I have played every MMO that has come out except Planetside (was a beta tester and hated it), and I fully understand the appeal that WoW has over so many people. Do I disagree with your other points? no, but you're not going to win anyone to your side by starting the post like that.

I don't even like LORTO because of WoW. When I beta tested it, I played it as much as possible but quickly got sick of it because it was just like WoW with their quest setup. It started out with the same-ol-grind.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

Ok, everquest (the orginal) is pretty much obslete now.. whenever people talking about the mmo genre they will always say "World of warcraft pioneered it" or somthing like that... well, let me just say even though its mega populer.. it shouldnt be. There are so many, great great mmos out there.

First and foremost: Everquest 2. Everquest 2 is an amazing game, the combat is fantastic, the features of the game are fantastic, its basicly world of warcraft but more modern and more thrilling.. why Everquest 2 isnt on WoW's level is beyond me, because in my mind it supasses it.. only reason EQ 2 is falling is because of how god damn populer wow is!! Give EQ 2 a chance guys!

Secondly, Lord of the Rings Online - Again, another fantastic MMO. Amazing graphics, great gameplay, great features if you liked wow you will love this. I can almost garentee it. Hopefully this one will become populer.. but we will have to wait and see.

Thridly: City Of Heroes.. ok so you have played WoW, you have experienced Tradeskills, Auctionhouseing and all this other community junk, well how about you try some pure fast focused combat? City Of Heroes offers the best team experience you can get from any mmo. All it basicly is, is just combat but it is fun, thrilling, engageng and above all else you feel like a superhero. Give it a chance!

Thats all i will give for now, hopefully all these millions and millions and god damn millions of wow players will come away from this game for a while and try some other mmos. Remember. .World of warcraft is just an MMO that took features from other MMOs and refinied them and made them user friendly... its not the ONLY MMO, its not the ONLY GOOD MMO, its not the REVOULTIONLY MMO.. its just ANOTHER MMO that is just user friendly.... so please, listen to what i have told u and just give some other MMOs a shot.. because they are all really fun and if you enjoyed WoW you will enjoy by the very least ONE of these titles i have said.

My currently mega mmo atm is Everquest 2 - I HIGHLY recommend it. But then again i highly recommend all these games : ) So go ahead! Go ahead and experience other mmos and whitness the essence of multiplayer gaming : )

Phantsy16

Unfortunately for you, many people do not share your views of those other games. While I still hold the original EQ as one of my favorite games, EQ2 just wasn't interesting enough to keep my attention, especially with the random server worlds. You and your friend could be standing in the ame spot but not see each other because you were popped on different servers. Of course you could choose to switch to your frineds server, but this method made the world seem empty. As for City of Heroes, it lost it's attraction to me once you hit level 10 and pretty much HAD TO party to keep going. There are more times than not that I just don't have the time to hunt down a group before playing the game.

What it all comes down to is "is the game fun?" For me WoW presents the most enjoyment for my dollar. I couldn't care less if it isn't innovative or pushing some kind of barrier. That's not what games are about. They're supposed to be fun. What everyone's definition of fun is different, thus the eternal argument over which game is the best. Just understand that not everyone is going to see things your way.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
Everquest 2, before they tried to make it into a WoW clone, was brilliant. It was by far a better MMO than WoW... WoW was just easier to get into for simpler people imo. WoW and Blizzard are vastly overrated imo. (Coming from someone who played 350 hours of EQ2 and 450 of WoW -_-)
Maxer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Maxer9
Member since 2003 • 1486 Posts
World of Warcraft didn't really "pioneer" much, it just did a lot of things right.
Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts
I prefered the level 100 games with weapon skills , loot , ganking , Evil/Good allignments personally, but I had fun in WoW ... I just miss the openess of the more hardcore games ... where good guilds would fight the ganker guilds that cannot enter cities because they are evil ^^.... so they had hangouts and areas they would often ambush people in ... good times.
TotalX5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TotalX5
Member since 2004 • 49 Posts
Hands down FFXI is the most original and most fun of all the MMO's i've played. The only reason people don't like it much is because they're lazy and think it's "too hard" for them. They're to lazy to find a party, and gain levels, and do the long interesting quests in the game. I would rather spend 30 hours leveling with a party in FFXI than 15 hours leveling alone in WoW.

Cordinating spells and using weapon skills properly in FFXI was a must, and that's what made the game so fun, if people gave it and chance and didn't quit after getting level 30 the game would be huge right now, its much deeper than any other MMO and has a much better story and quest system and rewards. The only thing i really disliked aboutFFXI was the gil-sellers and bot's but hey every game has them, FFXI just has a higher level of them, so instead of going out and camping a monster for an item for hours, just farm the money for hours and buy the item.

gbarules2999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#10 gbarules2999
Member since 2006 • 390 Posts

Isn't WoW being popular kind of the good guys winning? I mean, it's a great, great game, and it's done right; what's wrong with a really good game that people enjoy?

Sure, it takes away from other games, but it sure is nice to have everybody in one community. Easier to find friends, because all you have to do is buy Azeroth in a box and you just connected to 8 or 9 million people.

The_One_White

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 The_One_White
Member since 2006 • 1417 Posts
well i just bought a new game card today for after i saw age of conan had been delayed :( ...and much as im sure these games woul be good its just so much easier for me just to re subscibe to WoW than buy a totally new game.
burticvs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 burticvs
Member since 2005 • 187 Posts
The thing about WoW that makes it so popular s that it's accessible. Meaning, they made it so people can feel a part of the game without having to log tons and tons of hours or have ub3r l33t knowledge of how to raid. Actually I think it's all of the casual gamers that just like to mess around here and therethat are keeping their account numbers up there. I know I like to log on every once in a while and go fishing, get a level. help someone out, or maybe play the auction house.
Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts
Agreed , also Guild Wars is a pretty good game too. Star wars Galaxies is also a good one. WoW isnt very good, but some how people play it. hm w/e
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58500 Posts

I have heard a lot of things said about WoW on these forums, but never NEVER have I heard anyone claim that WoW pioneered the MMO genre. And if someone actually said that, I think both fans and detractors of WoW would laugh at them.

What WoW did is perfect the MMO genre. It took a category of games that was solely for the hardcore and "nerds" (I mean no offense, but five years ago it wasnt socially acceptable to say you played EQ) and made it accessable for the masses.

WoW is great because a guy like me who goes to school and works 40+ hours a week can come home at night and play for 30 minutes (sometimes more, sometimes less). In addition, there is plenty to do and while I dont support playing it for hours on end, the hardcore MMO-player can get his fill of WoW for 30+ hours a week.

This is the whole dilemna I have with WoW. It is an MMO for casual players who want to play for maybe a couple hours a day, and then do a nice long raid with their guild saturday or sunday morning. But no, you dont hear about that...all you hear about is the "addiction" and stuff like that.

Lets face it; WoW is the new standard in MMOs. LOTRO proved this as they are virtually identical and, imo, differ solely on subject matter and a few minor gameplay elements (such as the lack of an opposing side in LOTRO).Most MMOs released from this point foward will try to emulate its formula until hopefully one day it gets toppled from its throne by an even more innovative MMO. WoW didnt pioneer the genre, but it is the best thing to happen to the genre since its creation.

There, thats my tangent for the day...sorry :?

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

I have always thought the same thing. Over the years, starting with Everquest, I've played a vast number of MMO's and every one of them has held my interest longer than Warcraft. I'm not sure what it is, but the game just didn't have "it" that kept me very interested. I kept looking at the game, tried it a couple times, but I couldn't stick with it.

I came back to Everquest 2 atleast once, and in my opinion that game is indeed much better. It's very odd to see it has a small community, tiny compared to World of Warcraft, even though Everquest made the genre popular in its own right. I remember Everquest getting 500,000 subscribers being a huge deal :)

Unfortunately I don't seem to have the time required for any MMO except maybe EVE Online, but the last couple times I have started Everquest 2 I had a blast with the game. I may try it again just for the hell of it :)

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
From what I have heard, Eve is the most under-appreciated MMO to date.. The game from what I have read has taken leaps andbounds in updates... Usually the people who have something to say about that game, its always some kind of praise.
Verdance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Verdance
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts

Phantsy16

>> Not sure how to break it to you, chief, but WoW was (is?) a revolutionary MMO at the time. Stellar graphics. Rich questing. Solid grouping and instancing. Amazing community aspects. And 40 man raids of MC caliber were unheard of, and a cool addition to the genre. WoW is successful because it's a very, very well done game. I personally hate it (It costs too much, it's absurdly time consuming, and you just can't compete with people who raid 24/7) but I completely understand why others love it.
Albloutant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Albloutant
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Never playing the other MMO's before (due to my restriction to online games as a younger person), my first MMO was unfortunetly Final Fantasy XI Online.

I was then introduced to WoW. What attracted me on this was something familiar. The Warcraft Universe was already in my mind at this time (having played the original Warcraft: Orcs and Humans and Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness and its Xpac).

The storyline is what captivated me, and I'm still playing to this day. WoW is an easy game to play no matter how you look at it, and people who say you need skill to play is full of it imo.

Having not played EQ or any other MMO pre-WoW (save for FFXI), I can't really form an opinion on those games. But WoW is popular, as someone stated, because of the fan base they created before this whole MMO we call WoW started.

That is what brought me to that game. The game WILL end up stopping because with the title annoucement of the new Xpac (Wrath of the Lich King), the game, as far as I see it will stop. The story will end with Arthas being downed (despite what the Time Gnomes say haha).

That's just my thought, i didn't read all the thread so I'm not sure if someone mentioned all this before. I'm currently at work and just a tad bored but not so bored that I would read all the posts.

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts
Hands down FFXI is the most original and most fun of all the MMO's i've played. The only reason people don't like it much is because they're lazy and think it's "too hard" for them. They're to lazy to find a party, and gain levels, and do the long interesting quests in the game. I would rather spend 30 hours leveling with a party in FFXI than 15 hours leveling alone in WoW.

Cordinating spells and using weapon skills properly in FFXI was a must, and that's what made the game so fun, if people gave it and chance and didn't quit after getting level 30 the game would be huge right now, its much deeper than any other MMO and has a much better story and quest system and rewards. The only thing i really disliked aboutFFXI was the gil-sellers and bot's but hey every game has them, FFXI just has a higher level of them, so instead of going out and camping a monster for an item for hours, just farm the money for hours and buy the item.

TotalX5

Or we dont want to spend 13-26 minutes on airships, and walk across lands for most of our gaming sessions ... FFXI is the biggest time-sink MMO I have ever seen.

Gozuroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gozuroo

Im going to break it down a bit. Easier to comment on individual areas then =)

First and foremost: Everquest 2. Everquest 2 is an amazing game, the combat is fantastic, the features of the game are fantastic, its basicly world of warcraft but more modern and more thrilling.. why Everquest 2 isnt on WoW's level is beyond me, because in my mind it supasses it.. only reason EQ 2 is falling is because of how god damn populer wow is!! Give EQ 2 a chance guys!Phantsy16

The actual reason EQ2 is failing? Because it's not as simple or fast paced as WoW. Remember what it was based off - Everquest, personally called by me 5yearGrindQuest. Which oddly enough, was a far better game than Everquest 2 is... The game is frankly far to slow, to much of a grind and doesn't actually offer anything new or interesting, may as well stick to WoW if thats the case eh?

Secondly, Lord of the Rings Online - Again, another fantastic MMO. Amazing graphics, great gameplay, great features if you liked wow you will love this. I can almost garentee it. Hopefully this one will become populer.. but we will have to wait and see.Phantsy16

WoW Part 2, with new art and areas. It's pretty much just like wow but without the end game... hit max level and youhave nothing to do. The Beta was terrible, I was really looking forward to this game too, The character classes are stupidly bland, the plot is REALLY thin (and i LOVE tolkien lore, have all published books -.-) and just doesnt fill the Tolkien addiction for me.

Thridly: City Of Heroes.. ok so you have played WoW, you have experienced Tradeskills, Auctionhouseing and all this other community junk, well how about you try some pure fast focused combat? City Of Heroes offers the best team experience you can get from any mmo. All it basicly is, is just combat but it is fun, thrilling, engageng and above all else you feel like a superhero. Give it a chance!Phantsy16

Eugh, nothing to say here but.. this game fails on so many levels i'd need an essay to write it up.

My currently mega mmo atm is Everquest 2 - I HIGHLY recommend it. But then again i highly recommend all these games : ) So go ahead! Go ahead and experience other mmos and whitness the essence of multiplayer gaming : )Phantsy16

If anything, out of the three you suggested, I'd see people going to Lord of the Rings because the majority don't want their heads to hurt whilst playing a game. Personally I would probably go to Everquest 2.

But the only MMO IMO that will make any sort of a dent in WoW's market share is.... Warhammer. Because frankly, its gameplay concepts are FUN. Just check out the PVP system for what I mean... City raids that actually do something? Hell yeah!

Gozuroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gozuroo
Agreed , also Guild Wars is a pretty good game too. Star wars Galaxies is also a good one. WoW isnt very good, but some how people play it. hm w/eCrypt_mx

Guild wars isnt a MMO... why even talk about it. Waste of time.
Star Wars Galaxies has become 10 year old gamer fest with no point to it since the lovely F-up.
NeoBix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NeoBix

I have never been more addicted to a game let alone an MMO than I was to the original EverQuest on PC.

When World of WarCraft came out, to me it felt like "Hmmm... I've played this game before, only it was called EverQuest and it was much better, more fun, and more addictive."

I played WoW for about a year until I realized that there was nothing really special about it.

I don't play ANY MMOs now a days simply because I consider them a waste of time and money, but if I were going to play one I'm not sure which one it would be since the original EQ got totally screwed by Sony when they took over.

BobZany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 BobZany
Member since 2004 • 1407 Posts

WoW is popular because it works rather well. It's simple enough to get into, doesn't have steep system requirements, and yet has enough content to keep more hardcore types busy for at least a little while. There's perhaps not the depth of other MMOs, but Blizzard has done a good job of boiling the game down to its more essential elements and making sure they work well. (At least IMO). It's simple, but it's also a lot of fun.

The popularity of the game is a factor as well. I can't really think of another MMO that has had as much reach. At every job I've had since WoW came out, I've run into several people who play. I imagine it's fairly similar for other folks as well if you hang out in any circles where there's some techy oriented people. Server invites and what not are a big reason why I personally keep coming back to this game even after considering giving it another rest.

I've left for other games off and on when I get burnt out with WoW. I've always ended up coming back after a break.

EQ2 is really good. My problem with it was that it didn't play well with either my last computer or my current one. My current one exceeds any quoted recommendations I've seen, but EQ2 turns into a slideshow whenever I get into a populated town or for various other reasons. The odd thing is it doesn't matter what settings I use. My framerates are about the same on very high quality as they are on very high performance.

SOE has always taken a "it's your computer" stance to performance in their games. EQ2 can be very pretty, but a more system friendly art direction like WoW or LOTRO have would be better if they wanted to attract a larger customer base. As much fun as they've made the game more recently, they're not going to attract the kind of player base WoW has with the steep system requirements required to play the game.

CoH/COV is another great game, though personally I find it far too grind intensive. The whole superhero aspect is a lot of fun. Character creation itself is lot of fun. The game does get a bit repetitive, though. I like to revisit this game occasionally, but only for short periods of time.

I can't quite put my finger on what it is about LOTRO it is, but I just haven't been able to really get into it. It's a good game, has a lot of the elements that WoW has going for it (though I wish they added monsters as a faction like WoW to get some actual pvp going rather than just monster play). Using Tolkien's works as a backdrop should make it a no brainer, but I find myself bored with it rather quickly. I think a lot of it is that the classes don't appeal that much to me. I prefer to play caster classes anymore.

gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gamerchris810
Member since 2007 • 2372 Posts
I like WoW so i'll think ill stick to it thankyou very much.
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

Not sure how to break it to you, chief, but WoW was (is?) a revolutionary MMO at the time. Stellar graphics. Rich questing. Solid grouping and instancing. Amazing community aspects. And 40 man raids of MC caliber were unheard of, and a cool addition to the genre. WoW is successful because it's a very, very well done game. I personally hate it (It costs too much, it's absurdly time consuming, and you just can't compete with people who raid 24/7) but I completely understand why others love it.Verdance

:lol: Revolutionary? Graphics were good, but EQ2 was already out which just kills it in the graphics department. Grouping? I never saw anything special in World of Warcraft that makes this any different from other MMO's. In fact, I think Everquest 2 had this beat since even at the beginning of the game, you could form chains between groups depending on which classes were in it, and you would rely on other members of your group to work the chain for some nice damage. FFXI had this feature also and it worked very well.

Some of the quests were interesting, which is a definite plus for WoW, but I wish there was more voice-overs like in EQ2. Even the lowliest npc's have voice overs. It just makes the game so much more rich with atmosphere. The world feels more alive.

I'm not entirely sure of what you mean by the 40 man raids thing, as I'm not sure what MC stands for. But even Everquest had hundreds of people on raids while attempting to take down GODS on their own plane.

WoW is not completely baseless, and I did consider playing it when it first came out, but all it did was working on existing formulas from other games. There was nothing revolutionary about WoW.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts
You've just spent mentioning the high points of those three MMO's without mentioning their failures. Where those MMO's have failed WoW has fixed and succeeded. Its popular because it doesnt suffer the typical faults of those kinds of MMO's.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts
The best MMO I have ever played was the first 6 months of Ultima Online. I know how the game turned out in the end, how fast it went downhill, and why. But those first 6 months, despite some bugs and a bit of lag (most of us were on 56k back then), the game was fantastic. I built a character who only rarely entered combat. I was usually either mining for ore or at a forge. I eventually bought my own shop and made custom weapons for guilds. I would get so much ore I couldn't carry it, and would 'drag' it across the world a few steps at a time. The little combat I did experience was when someone would attempt to jack my ore. Boy let me tell you mining makes you a strong SoB. :D
markebici

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 markebici
Member since 2005 • 781 Posts
Its popular cause its easy except for Raiding and most plp dont even raid. It looks really good and you dont need a Geforce with a 7 or 8 infront of it to max it out. My only pet peev was that i didnt have the time to do anything i really wanted to do ie: BT, but thats just me.