This topic is locked from further discussion.

funnybunny12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 funnybunny12
Member since 2006 • 548 Posts

Well, I can only pay for one. Which one do you think is better?

I've been playing WoW for a short time, and I have a level 33 Warrior. It's fun and all, but I got bored. So, I ordered FFXI so I could try it. I was really excited and I even tooka break from WoW for a week or more. Now that I have FFXI, it freakin' pwnz and is amazing and fun, but now that i've been away from WoW for a bit, it's fun again and I love it again. So, which one should I pay for?

Since i've only played FFXI a few days, I only have Black mage level 5 and Monk level 5. But it's still really fun. Still haven't met too many people since low levels don't need or really get into partys. But so, i'll meet more people. I love that you can sit back and prop your feet up and play with the keyboard on your lap since you never need to touch the mouse. In fact, I have really only clicked the mouse once while in game... Other than that, I love the whole keyboard controls.

On the other hand, you need a keyboard for WoW. Wow, you can semi-play without a mouse. But that's only if you are fighting random stuff out of boredum. Face it. If you really want to fight and stuff, you need to loot (Which needs the mouse), it isn't always easier to use skills via hotkeys, and sometimes turning fast with QWEASD isn't as good as you want and you need the occasional Right Click turn.

So, I love both games, payed to have them both and I can just start subscribing again if I want since I bought them. But which one should I pay for? Can't choose! Plus, i'm starting public school this year (Been homeschooled), and I want to play a game more real life people will play with me. That one obviously goes to WoW, but there is so much I love about FFXI, but so much I HAVE loved but kinda just like now about WoW...

shdeclue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 shdeclue
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Well, I've played WoW, but not FFXI, so this is going on 50% "what I've read" and "what I've heard".

FFXI apparently gets to the point where it takes a group to do anything, and you'll sit for hours looking for people who need the same thing as you. I actually played it fora couple hours once, and I just couldn't get in to it.

With around 8-9 million subscribers, its easy to find a friend who plays WoW. It's a fun, easy game, and it's always a solid choice. I got bored with it to, after a year, and I haven't played it for a couple months.

Now? I am itching to load it back up and restart the grind, if you know what I mean.

So, personally, I'd go with World of Warcraft.

funnybunny12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 funnybunny12

That's understandable. I just wish I had someone to play FFXI with that I could be in a duo with. Like, my guild leaders in WoW are roomates (Gettin' married... Boy and girl of course.). But they never play without eachother and they party and always make like a combo team when they do new characters. I really hate to have just bought FFXI and not pay for it though. My mom'll be pissed. But i'm already signed up for WoW. At least no more paying and subscribing. And she said I can play anything as long as the bill isn't passed $20 a month (Since that is my allowence). Yes, my mom pays for it... -.-" I'm a newb, I know.

I really love FFXI, but WoW keeps pulling me in. Gah, I can't choose. Leaning towards WoW since i've played it and know what it's like and lots of people play, but back to FFXI for the controls, interface, and I just love all things FF like the races, places, mobs, names of everything, just all that. ;( I'm confused...

Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Skullheart
Member since 2006 • 2054 Posts
You know honestly when I played Final Fantasy XI, I loved the classes. LOVED them. The community (asian community, always good) was completely opposite of World of Warcraft. It's just the slow grind fest (and forced-groupness) that threw me off.
dyproximy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dyproximy
Member since 2003 • 1194 Posts
I played ffxi for 4 years getting 4 jobs to 75 blm/rdm/whm/blu and I must say that this game is nothing but a grind. Although it can be fun, it is not for the casual who has 1-2 hours a day to play. This game really starts to pick up endgame but it can be hard to find a partys to level to 75.
Marine152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Marine152
Member since 2005 • 922 Posts
I own Both and have Played both FFXI and WoW. FFXI was my first MMO and WoW was my second. I LOVE FFXI. I also love Wow in many ways. Put it this way. If you want to be good in FFXI you have to be dedicated to the game. Its very rewarding though. More than WoW. FFXI is also ALOT Harder than WoW. Leaning cuve IS steep. ALL in ALL both great games.Just FFXI is alot more harder but when you work hard it really plays off to see the results.
funnybunny12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 funnybunny12

Ok, thanks people. ;( Just made it SO much harder! Should I sacrifice less RL friends playing (Probably none) for gameplay, or have more friends to play with but have a game that isn't as good. I don't just sit and play for an hour and say "I'm bored. I NEED to take a break". I play for hours a day when I can, and you know, I love to party, I just never get to in most games. So, the party thing is fine with me. So, i'm really leaning towards FFXI. Love my lil' Taru BLM. ^^ I hear those are hardest newbie class! ;o Oh well, it's fun! :)

Thanks for the help, I don't know what i'll choose though. I mean, it isn't like the other will be gone forever. If I chose FFXI, I can still play WoW again some other time. Just sucks that my last day is the first day of school, so if I do quit and turns out tons of people would play with me, well... That would suck. ;(

Marine152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Marine152
Member since 2005 • 922 Posts
Also FFXI is cheaper than wow :)
Genexi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Genexi2
Member since 2005 • 3110 Posts

I played ffxi for 4 years getting 4 jobs to 75 blm/rdm/whm/blu and I must say that this game is nothing but a grind. Although it can be fun, it is not for the casual who has 1-2 hours a day to play. This game really starts to pick up endgame but it can be hard to find a partys to level to 75.dyproximy

You should level yourself an undesired job, then it turns into one big lfg-fest.

(I regret taking PUP up as my third job a lot of times >.>)

Anyways, I also love the keyboard-only approach in FFXI, makes things like targetting more precise as you don't have to worry about clicking the correct monster within a group of monsters when you can just toggle through quickly.

As far as things go though, FFXI has aged horrible (partly SquareEnix's fault for limiting both PC/360 editions of the title by the hardware limitations of the PS2), and still is a major time-sink compared to the easy and casual WoW, more-so since from lvl10 onwards (for most jobs, I just solo most of mine as long as possible), you're forced to group with others to begin making decent experience per hour to level up, with barely any accessible alternative means of obtaining EXP.

That and that there are some major headaches levelling your job through a couple specific level gaps if you don't have high-level partners to assist you with, this really isn't a solo-friendly game at the least, unlike WoW, so if you liked being able to go about doing something by yourself and accomplish something, you won't find that here.

Also doesn't help that the development team only *finally* began listening to it's playerbase within the last year, as the game was getting completely broken out of proportions by "goldsellers" (called RMT/gilsellers in FFXI) monopolizing everything and overbloating the economy to epic proportions, which has only recently in the last few months gotten back down to the point where the game has been before their intrusion. WoW was better geared up for them as near anything worthwhile is instanced, vendors control the game, and you just get to put up with a few advertisements per day is all.

Still ticks me off that I had to wait until the game hit 6 years of age before the development team decided to rewrite the damn graphics engine for the PC release of the title, and add in a windowed mode......................and make the playerbase have to pay for it via the next expansion pack coming this December.

I basically classify FFXI as a 'true' MMORPG, which basically means hardcore, if you don't have the time to devote, you may or may not get much out of it.

Also FFXI is cheaper than wow :)Marine152

Those mules start to add the price up though if you feel the need for more than one.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

WoW, what question is that? comparing FF game to this one (IMO FF games suck)

AppleSnowMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AppleSnowMan
Member since 2005 • 27 Posts
Hmmmm...well i would not recommend WoW to anyone over 15. But I'm not a FF Online fan either. One is just mindlessly easy and filled with kids and fools. The other is just one big grind. Tough choice, I'd choose neither imo.
funnybunny12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 funnybunny12
Well, I guess i'll stick with FFXI for a bit. If no one, and I mean NO ONE plays it at my school, i'll switch to WoW. But if I can find at least one or two people that play, i'll be fine. But if i'm totally alone... -.-"
Skyfaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Skyfaze
Member since 2007 • 219 Posts
Play WoW, just in moderation, that way it doesn't get boring