WOW is it worth it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fabletome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 fabletome
Member since 2009 • 63 Posts

OK I have been thinking about getting world of warcraft but is it worht paying every month and if so is it hard or easy

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

depends on how much you play and what you are looking for in a game. I suggest you try the trial first. Also its rather easy now days (with leveling and so on)

streloksbolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 streloksbolt
Member since 2009 • 257 Posts

Bearing in mind 1) you have to pay to play (it's not a one off payment), 2) the graphics are ancient, 3) the gameplay is designed to be addictive, I wouldn't get it.

pinneyapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 pinneyapple
Member since 2005 • 5566 Posts

Short Answer: No.

IZoMBiEI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 IZoMBiEI
Member since 2002 • 6477 Posts

not really, worth checking out if you have people on it you want to play with but meh.

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts

Short Answer: No.

pinneyapple
This.
TJamesA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 TJamesA
Member since 2007 • 570 Posts

Shorter Answer: HELL NO!

-clippa-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -clippa-
Member since 2008 • 596 Posts

No, it isn't worth the money or the time or the effort. I've no idea what people see in that game. Maybe see if you can get a free trial abnd see for yourself if you're interested. Wait for guild wars 2, it's more or less the same game with a one off payment.

im_mr_brown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 im_mr_brown
Member since 2006 • 2970 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't buy any game with a monthly subscription. That's just my opinion. It would have to be one hell of game.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5720 Posts

OK I have been thinking about getting world of warcraft but is it worht paying every month and if so is it hard or easy

fabletome
If you never played it then yes, it's worth it. Don't listen to the haters and try for yourself. Millions of people didn't get into it because it's crap but because it's a good game. It's probably not worth to play it for several years but for a couple of months you will have fun, no doubt.
Revan_911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 Revan_911
Member since 2007 • 1709 Posts

No....It's a waste of time. All those people playing now, trying to improve their character they are playing for nothing, because all of their gear will be useless once the next expansion pack comes out. And it's not even fun, once you reach lvl 80 you will do the same thing over and over again...

Mythomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mythomniac
Member since 2009 • 1695 Posts
Short Answer: Yes. Loooooong Term Answer: No if you become addicted to t... I don't play the game, but personally, when I did, I found it amazing :)
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

Go for the trial. If you enjoy it play it. If you don't well then don't play it.

Like every large company game the game will have lots of people that hate it. But you should decide by your self.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

Go for the trial. If you enjoy it play it. If you don't well then don't play it.

Like every large company game the game will have lots of people that hate it. But you should decide by your self.

KalDurenik

This exactly. When you ask others whether you should get it or not, you're going to get responses from those who hate the game and enjoy the game. They'll give you all sorts of reasons to hate it or like which can be a good or bad thing. Try the free 10 day trial out for yourself and you'll get a pretty good idea of what to expect from it.

THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts

I say it's worth it. It's a very fun game when playing with friends. Just keep in mind that like others have said, the game can pretty hard to put down. But if you play the game and don't let the game play you then you'll be fine.

hoadsw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hoadsw
Member since 2008 • 56 Posts

Well if you are in the market for an MMO, I woudl suggest giving Aion a try. I have played both and enjoyed Aion much more. It is kind of an updated version of WoW, with some cool original ideas of its own. There are many other MMO's out there as well, do some research and find out which one is more appealing to you. Ask yourself what type of environment you would want to play in i.e. high fantasy, sci-fi, FPS, there is an MMO out there for whatever you enjoy:)

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts

Just get Aion. It might have a smaller world, but it's really the next step in the evolution of the genre...and I don't mean because it has flying. Also, you'll be able to get in on ground level while it's new for everyone (in the West at least). I played the beta, and while it starts out a little slow and seemingly not at all original (for people who have played WoW), it gets more interesting past the early levels.

The blatant ways in which WoW attempts to waste your time anymore in order to keep you from ever maxing out everything annoy me, and really turned me off to the game when I tried to get back into it. True, all MMORPGs do this to some extent, but for whatever reason Blizzard opted to move all of it from the leveling itself and moved it to things like making you do boring and easy repeatable quests over and over again just to get enough faction points to access things like some crafting recipes. I think the original ("vanilla") WoW was actually a more interesting game than the easy mode time grind that they have since turned it into. With the exception of the very hardest dungeons, the endgame is actually far easier than the early game, which is the exact opposite of what games are supposed to be.

NemeSyS-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NemeSyS-1
Member since 2009 • 464 Posts

I have played WoW off and on since it launched like 5 years ago. Overall it is a good game if you can keep it from controlling your life, it is a very fun game. The problem is that once you hit certain levels, you are pretty much required to spend hours running instances in order to level and get the best gear. Granted almost all MMO type game require the grind sessions and material gathering for your professions, but Imo, WoW takes it to an entirely new level. I would also say that if you want to invest your time and money into a game like WoW, you should try and get 3 or 4 friends to play with you. WoW is much more fun playing with friends.

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SpaceMoose

I have played WoW off and on since it launched like 5 years ago. Overall it is a good game if you can keep it from controlling your life, it is a very fun game. The problem is that once you hit certain levels, you are pretty much required to spend hours running instances in order to level and get the best gear. Granted almost all MMO type game require the grind sessions and material gathering for your professions, but Imo, WoW takes it to an entirely new level. I would also say that if you want to invest your time and money into a game like WoW, you should try and get 3 or 4 friends to play with you. WoW is much more fun playing with friends.

NemeSyS-1

Well, the sad thing is that when WoW came out, it actually had a lot less grind than most of the MMORPGs that came before it. The amount of trivial tasks one has to do now though in order to obtain certain things is just dumb. I especially hate the concept of "daily quests," at least in regards to making them necessary to earn particular things in the game. It wouldn't be so bad if they were challenging things that awarded a lot of progress towards something rather than (for the most part) trivially easy wastes of time that award very little progress.

It's become so obvious how they are doing things just to eat up peoples' time and keep them playing, it's kind of sad. Again, from a fun standpoint, it's not necessarily the eating up time that is bad, but rather it's eating up time having people do things which are utterly boring and not even remotely challenging, and having that be the only way to access some items. When a game starts to feel more like a chore than leisure, it's time to call it quits.

Anthony01355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Anthony01355
Member since 2006 • 1486 Posts

It's very much worth getting, it's one of the most played online games with 11 million subscribers world wide. I would suggest getting a life time subscription, then unsubscribing from life.

Avatar image for mynameisderek85
mynameisderek85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mynameisderek85
Member since 2008 • 43 Posts
Eh, matter of opinion. It can be fun and extremely addicting, but I personally got bored with the game and never really looked back.
winstons21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 winstons21
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

If you have nothing else to do in your free time, than you can pay for it, becose honestly WoW was the game that i enjoyed most , a cant say about newest games becose i have not played those, the WoW is worth to pay for it, but I suggest you better find some hobby than play the WoW in your free time .

Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

For a first timer i would say yes. The amount of stuff you can do for $15 a month is amazing. With that said, it dries up quickly and you are unlikely to get more than 6 months out of the game ( even if you love it ) before becoming immensely bored.

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SpaceMoose

For a first timer i would say yes. The amount of stuff you can do for $15 a month is amazing. With that said, it dries up quickly and you are unlikely to get more than 6 months out of the game ( even if you love it ) before becoming immensely bored.

Alter_Echo

I don't know. Some people have apparently been subscribing and playing for years. I've never played any game with that amount of dedication, so I can't really say I understand how...

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

I would suggest you get into Aion. Wow is great and I played the game for about 4 years on and off, I can honestly say that it's one of the best games i've ever played......but it is extremely outdated now and blizzard keeps desperatly throwing new things into the game to keep people playing. You could give it a go but with a few other mmo's out this year, i'd try those first.

quijeros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 quijeros
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

Play the demo first. You'll find out whether or not it's worth it.

Personally, I really enjoyed the demo and then decided to go through with it. Having friends that were into it helped sway my decision as well. However, I never actually made it to the level caps. Just as I was approaching 65, WotLK was released, and everyone shot up to 80. At around level 72, I realized that I wasn't having fun anymore.

I say get it if you thought the demo was fun and you have friends that want to go through it with you. Otherwise, it seems pointless to play.

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SpaceMoose

I would suggest you get into Aion. Wow is great and I played the game for about 4 years on and off, I can honestly say that it's one of the best games i've ever played......but it is extremely outdated now and blizzard keeps desperatly throwing new things into the game to keep people playing. You could give it a go but with a few other mmo's out this year, i'd try those first.

sailor232

Yep. I only got got to play for a little while in the beta so far, but I feel pretty confident in saying that Aion is pretty damn good. One might say that WoW was the first genuinely streamlined MMORPG. Well, Aion is arguably the first game that takes that basic formula first established by WoW and does a hell of a job of streamlining that. It also has a lot of its own unique touches, though many of them don't become readily apparent until around level 20 or higher.

However, if people still want their MMORPGs to make them spend forty minutes traveling around the entire ****ing world to finish some quests, then it might not be game for them..

Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts
[QUOTE="Alter_Echo"]

SpaceMoose
I don' t know. Some people have apparently been subscribing and playing for years. I've never played any game with that amount of dedication, so I can't really say I understand how...

I played for 5 years counting the beta. Collectively i had fun for about 6 months of that 5 years. All the rest of it was playing because i knew people and had friends or because there wasnt anything else to play. Even with 2 expansions the game is so streamlined now that its entirely possible for even a first timer to do everything there is to do in 6 months or less.
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 32098 Posts

It's still fun, you know, but I'd put my money elsewhere personally. It costs a lot to keep playing the game, and if you want good gear for your character, you'll have to play a lot. If none of these things is an issue for you, I recommend WoW. It's the best mmorpg I've played so far.

Bulkycheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bulkycheese
Member since 2009 • 137 Posts
i advise you to get it, great game.
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

Shorter Answer: HELL NO!

TJamesA

Shortest answer: YES. It's been on my hard drive since BETA. Which makes it the longest lasting game on my system other than Starcraft.

Ok, that wasn't shorter than TJamesA....

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#32 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

fabletome
No it's not worth it.
alkaline_DnB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 alkaline_DnB
Member since 2006 • 1816 Posts

it's a solid game worth playing. evryone hating on it was in love with it at one point and spent all their time playing and having no social life. that can be you too. just man up and do it already.

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

I think dungeons and dragons online is more fun atm(and its free). We finally have a decent free online rpg thanks to turbine.