Would this work? An integrated SDTV and retro gaming question.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Invisible_Kid2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Invisible_Kid2
Member since 2003 • 6330 Posts
I don't know a whole lot about this subject, but I have an integrated SDTV with the red, blue, and green inputs. Could I buy a composite to component converter and get a little better quality out of my retro games? Is this even possible?
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
There is a chance, but most-likely you wouldn't see a difference since the output from the console would still be 480i or lower. The term in the computer world is 'garbage-in / garbage-out' where the final output can only be as good as the best original input.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
No. Outputting composite carries the video in one cable. The output from the hardware has to be component compatible.
godlikemouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#4 godlikemouse
Member since 2003 • 91 Posts

I believe you can actually buy the converter however, the problem is you will only received the quality of the lowest denominator. In this case it would be the composite end. They do make upscalers which you might be able to leverage to do a little enhancing, but I wouldn't get your hopes too high.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
I should have mentioned in my earlier post, that if you have an S-Video port on your TV, and s-video cables for your systems, you would see at least some slight increase in image quality. As far as I know (at least in the US) is that the earliest system to support RGB output might have been the original PlayStation. At least, I've used a PS2 component cable with a PlayStation before.