Worth playing Deus Ex Human Revolution?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I have played the two previous Deus Ex games, and absolutely loved the first one. Invisible War wasn't too bad either. But I played them almost a decade ago. Somehow I didn't manage to pick up Human Revolution. Its got rave reviews, so I'm planning to play that now. The thing I wanted to know is, although it might be a good game by itself, how does it compare to the first Deus Ex? If its quality is even around 60% of Deus Ex 1, I'm willing to buy it. I'm also considering buying The Misisng Link DLC. Is that worth buying? Please help me out. Thank you.

funkyzoom

As a huge fan of Deus Ex 1 (you can check my mod tutorial in my blog if you want better AI, and much better graphics), i highly recommend Human Revolution. It's a great game. 

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 funkyzoom
Member since 2005 • 1534 Posts

I have played the two previous Deus Ex games, and absolutely loved the first one. Invisible War wasn't too bad either. But I played them almost a decade ago. Somehow I didn't manage to pick up Human Revolution. Its got rave reviews, so I'm planning to play that now. The thing I wanted to know is, although it might be a good game by itself, how does it compare to the first Deus Ex? If its quality is even around 60% of Deus Ex 1, I'm willing to buy it. I'm also considering buying The Misisng Link DLC. Is that worth buying? Please help me out. Thank you.

mixedplanet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 mixedplanet
Member since 2005 • 1215 Posts

worth playing? how about must playing?

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Wasn't a fan of the first Deus Ex, HR however is one of the best games I ever played, the amount of detail and approaches to missions is amazing, it has two flaws, one imo is irrelevant, some animations (for cover especially) are pretty rough, but that for me is what gave the game more personality, the 2nd is bad, boss fights, they were developed by an entirely different studio, they do not mix with the game and they barely have anything to do with it except "oh, this is one of the bad guys I saw in the story", the DLC fills a pretty massive gap towards the end of the game, because it was actually part of the game before they decided to cut it and sell it later as DLC.
fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts
Wasn't a fan of the first Deus Ex, HR however is one of the best games I ever played, the amount of detail and approaches to missions is amazing, it has two flaws, one imo is irrelevant, some animations (for cover especially) are pretty rough, but that for me is what gave the game more personality, the 2nd is bad, boss fights, they were developed by an entirely different studio, they do not mix with the game and they barely have anything to do with it except "oh, this is one of the bad guys I saw in the story", the DLC fills a pretty massive gap towards the end of the game, because it was actually part of the game before they decided to cut it and sell it later as DLC.DanielDust
This. Oh, and TC : when you do get the game, make sure you fully upgrade the Typhoon first. It'll make the above mentioned boss fights a cinch.
THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#6 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts

Hell yeah it is.  I never played the original Deus Ex game but this was one fo the best games I've played in last couple years.  The sound track by itself is just a pleasure to listen to.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

The first Deus Ex is, easily, one of my top 10 favorite games (maybe even top 5).  Human Revolution does the Deus Ex name proud imo.  Go play it.

The DLC is also very good, as well.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

to put it bluntly, f*** yes. :)

Avatar image for a_sh0pping_cart
a_sh0pping_cart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 a_sh0pping_cart
Member since 2009 • 354 Posts

Deus Ex HR doesn't capture that same atmosphere the original did, but of course it won't. It creates one on its own and was very enjoyable!

My only problem with HR (besides lame bosses) is that it felt a little claustrophobic, at least compared to the original. Invisible War had the same problem, but it's almost negligible. Deus Ex is my favorite game series, HR is a good fit. Don't pass it up!

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

yes, it's worth playing

Raxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Raxzor
Member since 2003 • 5399 Posts

Don't worry about the boss fights they usually have loads of ammo just laying about and you can just nuke them down. But the game is class minus the boss fights!

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Haven't met a single person who says it's NOT worth playing. It's fvking awesome. Sh!tty boss fights aside

Ragingbear505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 Ragingbear505
Member since 2008 • 819 Posts

I played all three back to back a while ago and Human Revolution definitely isn't as good as the first game but it's still leagues better than Invisible War. I wouldn't bother with the Typhoon, it's a waste of points, just acquire the revolver and get the explosive ammo upgrade. Boss fights are a joke with it. My main gripe is the awful story that feels isolated from the rest of the series beyond some distant connections. I never really felt like anything that was going on in the game was important. The plot twists are obvious, there's never any real choice, some of the powers seem impressive like punching holes in walls but realistically you'll probably only do that five times at most in the game. Also you can skip the DLC, it's bad, adds nothing to the game either in terms of gameplay or plot, and is completely isolated anyway. It happens toward the end of the game, you have to load a seperate client to play it, you bring in none of your old skills or weapons, the game just has you choose them again, and then when you finish nothing carries back over to the main game. It's a levelpack and a bad one.

yonyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 yonyz
Member since 2008 • 651 Posts
I didn't play any Deus Ex games prior to HR. I tried HR twice, for about 60-90 minutes each time, and did not like the gameplay mechanics in general, and the gunplay in particular. The story did seem interesting, but a good story doesn't make me want to play something that isn't fun playing (in my opinion, of course).
funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 funkyzoom

I played all three back to back a while ago and Human Revolution definitely isn't as good as the first game but it's still leagues better than Invisible War. I wouldn't bother with the Typhoon, it's a waste of points, just acquire the revolver and get the explosive ammo upgrade. Boss fights are a joke with it. My main gripe is the awful story that feels isolated from the rest of the series beyond some distant connections. I never really felt like anything that was going on in the game was important. The plot twists are obvious, there's never any real choice, some of the powers seem impressive like punching holes in walls but realistically you'll probably only do that five times at most in the game. Also you can skip the DLC, it's bad, adds nothing to the game either in terms of gameplay or plot, and is completely isolated anyway. It happens toward the end of the game, you have to load a seperate client to play it, you bring in none of your old skills or weapons, the game just has you choose them again, and then when you finish nothing carries back over to the main game. It's a levelpack and a bad one.

Ragingbear505

Huh? You mean the DLC isn't part of the game? That's ridiculous! I thought the DLC would just integrate into the game.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

This. Oh, and TC : when you do get the game, make sure you fully upgrade the Typhoon first. It'll make the above mentioned boss fights a cinch.fend_oblivion

Waste of points, boss fights are piss easy.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DanielDust

[QUOTE="Ragingbear505"]

funkyzoom

Huh? You mean the DLC isn't part of the game? That's ridiculous! I thought the DLC would just integrate into the game.

They even mention things from the DLC after the "blackout/freeze".
Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

Yeah yeah go play it like others said

The Missing Link is good too, play it after beating the main game

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DanielDust

Yeah yeah go play it like others said

The Missing Link is good too, play it after beating the main game

Darth_Kane
Its best played exactly when it happens, playing it after beating the game is anticlimactic, remember the word stasis TC, when you notice that word, switch to the DLC.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#20 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

It's worse than the original but still great.

LazySloth718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LazySloth718
Member since 2011 • 2345 Posts

Not as good as the first two but pretty decent.

The boss fights were lame.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
yes!
Ricardo41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ricardo41
Member since 2002 • 1046 Posts

funkyzoom

Deus Ex HR is a poor imitation of the first installment. It has none of the expansiveness, depth of story, memorable characters, etc. of the first one. 

In addition, the developer felt the need to throw in 5 extremely tedious boss fights that do nothing to advance the story. Heres a tip get yourself the Typhoon augmentation at the beginning of the game, this way you can dispense with the bosses in a couple of seconds and be done with it. The last 30 minutes of the game are especially tedious and dumb / the ending about as memorable as a rerun of Americas Got Talent.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
Loved it. Love Invisible War and the first as well.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#25 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
I'd skip it and play the first one again. I think its vastly overrated. Its nowhere near as memorable as the original in game play or especially the story.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
I'd skip it and play the first one again. I think its vastly overrated. Its nowhere near as memorable as the original in game play or especially the story. biggest_loser
Nothing but nostalgia. Nostalgia is a fickle bitch.
gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#27 gbrading
Member since 2005 • 8085 Posts

Definitely worth playing! Human Revolution is a great game overall, and a great Deus Ex game. Can't really give it much higher praise than that.

Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]I'd skip it and play the first one again. I think its vastly overrated. Its nowhere near as memorable as the original in game play or especially the story. millerlight89
Nothing but nostalgia. Nostalgia is a fickle bitch.

Agreed. Deus Ex is a great game, and certainly does some things better than Human Revolution. But if you think it's vastly superior to Human Revolution, you're just kidding yourself.
THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts

[QUOTE="Ragingbear505"]

funkyzoom

It was fine having it's own separate client for people that didn't want to go through the whole game again, but yeah I have to say it was quite an oversight on their part that they just didn't integrate it into the core game.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

[QUOTE="fend_oblivion"] This. Oh, and TC : when you do get the game, make sure you fully upgrade the Typhoon first. It'll make the above mentioned boss fights a cinch.N30F3N1X

Waste of points, boss fights are piss easy.

Pretty much. I only used the handgun during boss fights apart from the last one.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DanielDust

[QUOTE="bonafidetk"]Pretty much one of the best games of the last couple of years. It has a nice PC interface too. They made a mistake with the stupid boss fights which they fully admitted, so i forgive them.funkyzoom

Everyone keeps saying that the boss fights in the game are stupid and lame. Could someone please tell me what exactly is wrong with the boss fights? Are they too tough, or too easy?

The game has multiple ways to getting things done, at least 3 with their playstyle variations (full stealth, guns blazing, or a combination of both achieved through other paths), boss fights are simply "kill" they have nothing related to the game design of everything else, even the graphics are different (some boss fights contain extremely washed environments and character models that lack detail) and they all have two ways to defeat the enemies, you either struggle with a powerful weapon or you abuse a useless ability (especially if you plan on going stealth) Typhoon.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
Pretty much one of the best games of the last couple of years. It has a nice PC interface too. They made a mistake with the stupid boss fights which they fully admitted, so i forgive them.
funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 funkyzoom

Pretty much one of the best games of the last couple of years. It has a nice PC interface too. They made a mistake with the stupid boss fights which they fully admitted, so i forgive them.bonafidetk

Everyone keeps saying that the boss fights in the game are stupid and lame. Could someone please tell me what exactly is wrong with the boss fights? Are they too tough, or too easy?

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

[QUOTE="bonafidetk"]Pretty much one of the best games of the last couple of years. It has a nice PC interface too. They made a mistake with the stupid boss fights which they fully admitted, so i forgive them.funkyzoom

Most of the game gives you huge incentives to play stealthily and to follow the nonlethal approach. The bosses completely break the atmosphere of the rest of the game.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 funkyzoom

[QUOTE="funkyzoom"]

[QUOTE="bonafidetk"]Pretty much one of the best games of the last couple of years. It has a nice PC interface too. They made a mistake with the stupid boss fights which they fully admitted, so i forgive them.DanielDust

The game has multiple ways to getting things done, at least 3 with their playstyle variations (full stealth, guns blazing, or a combination of both achieved through other paths), boss fights are simply "kill" they have nothing related to the game design of everything else, even the graphics are different (some boss fights contain extremely washed environments and character models that lack detail) and they all have two ways to defeat the enemies, you either struggle with a powerful weapon or you abuse a useless ability (especially if you plan on going stealth) Typhoon.

Now that really sucks, because I always prefer to play games full stealth whenever possible. So if I don't have the typhoon, are the bosses too tough and frustrating to defeat?

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Of course, it is worth playing.

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

Now that really sucks, because I always prefer to play games full stealth whenever possible. So if I don't have the typhoon, are the bosses too tough and frustrating to defeat?funkyzoom

Just keep a fully upgraded assault rifle and ammo with you and you'll be fine. I personally never used typhoon

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

Iunno. I've started playing the game 2 times and got max 15 hours in. I also stopped both times and don't really feel like going back. It's ok. Nothing mind blowing.

Ricardo41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ricardo41
Member since 2002 • 1046 Posts

The original Deus Ex didn't really have "boss fights" in the sense that term is usually understood: you reach an area, music swells, doors close, some dude starts talking sh*t for 5 minutes about what he is going to do to you, then you fight him. Done. Game or mission over. 

In Deus Ex - I'm trying not to spoil the game for the 3 people who STILL haven't played it - you only had to kill a small number of "über bad guys (and girls)".

But those killings were an integral part of a developing story, not some grand finale after a corridor crawl. Deus Ex did have tough enemies - for example, the MJ12 commandos, the Men in Black, etc.

In Deus EX HR you essentially get 5 "oldfashioned" boss fights, with very little integration into the rest of the story. Basically, you are taken out of the story and now have to deal with these annoying bosses.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
worth playing. seriously.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Certainly. It's very different to the first Deus Ex; instead of Thief like stealth it's like Metal Gear Solid, combat wise there's a cover focus similar to Rainbow Six Vegas. Writing wise it's not nearly as good as the first Deus Ex, and neither in terms of level design or building a sense of plot, purpose and specialisation. However it is still a game well worth playing. HR is easy to get into, so don't worry about learning curve, and I'd say The Missing Link is pretty damn good - if you want more Deus Ex HR. I found it slow to start, and a little flat at times, but enjoyed it.
ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#42 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

HR is worth playing, it possibly has too much emphasis on hacking and stealth gameplay but it is better than Invisible War.

Deadpool-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Deadpool-n
Member since 2012 • 489 Posts

Play it! Play it now!