Worth getting this game even if I have to buy a new pc to run it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AgentOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 AgentOfLight
Member since 2006 • 807 Posts

The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion

Is it worth getting this game even if I have to go buy a newer pc to run it? Thoughts appreciated.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
Depends on how much do you want to play the game
AgentOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AgentOfLight
If i REALLY REALLY wanna play it? I love going solo and exploring far-off lands!
Smudge_Smill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Smudge_Smill
Member since 2005 • 238 Posts

If i REALLY REALLY wanna play it? I love going solo and exploring far-off lands!AgentOfLight

This is such a subjective questions, that it's not even worth asking people who don't know you whatsoever.
Personally, I would say that while Elder Scrolls isn't worth upgrading my computer for because I have little-to-no interest in it.
But I would also say that a game that you really want to play (for me it would be Starcraft 2, Dawn of War 2, Crysis, a new Flatout game or Timeshift) is worth upgrading for, because you know you'll appreciate it and make the most of it.
At the same time, it's almost totally dependent on your financial situation. If you're very well-off, an upgrade simply means that you will have a better computer rather than getting a really expensive new stereo system, etc...but for those who don't earn much, it's a years worth of wages.

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#5 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts
The only person who can answer that is you. Do you want to have to buy a new PC to play one game?
GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Is it worth getting this game even if I have to go buy a newer pc to run it? Thoughts appreciated.

AgentOfLight

well if you're buying a whole new gaming PC just for one game - invest it so you could play it on max graphics

1-2Gb DDR2 RAM, GeForce 7600GT or better and a good 3.2Ghz+ processor

also if you love exploring lands games Gothic 3 is your 2nd game

Gregoroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gregoroth
Member since 2005 • 2552 Posts
He'd need a better graphics card than that to run it at max settings.

Don't bother TC. I personally don't like Elder Scroll games. If you're new to the series, I definitely wouldn't build a new pc for it...actually, I wouldn't build a new pc forone game anyway. Imo, that's not the most intelligent of decisions to make.
cevic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cevic
Member since 2003 • 174 Posts
Yeah, if you want a new PC for games, make it worth for 4 years.
everson_rm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 everson_rm
Member since 2004 • 1664 Posts

Well, I've buyed a wholenew rig some weeks ago, with a 8800 and a core 2 duo... not for Oblivion tough, but because my last rig was a crap... BTW, I've played some games that I needed to play (Fear, STALKER...), and them begin oblivion. Well man, for me Oblivion is worth every penny that I've invested in my new rig. The game is great. If you don't buy a PC, just try a 360 or a PS3 to play it, but in PC the graphics are way better them PS3 or 360...

everson_rm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 everson_rm

Yeah, if you want a new PC for games, make it worth for 4 years.cevic

A PC for games during 4 years... well, any PC that you eventualy get, will be piece of crap in 2 years...

Virtuson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 Virtuson
Member since 2004 • 3509 Posts
If i REALLY REALLY wanna play it? I love going solo and exploring far-off lands!AgentOfLight
hahaha. jesus, maybe they should put that on the box? you're really psyched to play this aren't ya? i hope 2 hours in your PC crashes and ruins the hdd. now THAT would be funny to me
AgentOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AgentOfLight
Right. What if I was gonna use the pc for other stuff like other games and faster internet conenction and runing age of empires 3 faster and... or should I play OBLIVION on a friend's pc or something to test it, see hwo it works? And also, both my parents are teachers with good pay so they get £70,000 a year together. Still worth it?
orchid_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 orchid_boy
Member since 2004 • 438 Posts

then play Morrowind first, it has better quest than Oblivion...and i'll bet your PC could run Morrowind

shafrox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 shafrox
Member since 2005 • 349 Posts
My advise to you is not to upgrade you PC. I've upgraded my PC many times, and after a few months, i regret it. If you want to play oblivion go buy yourself a xbox 360. PC's are too darn expensive to keep on upgrading. :evil:
GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GeryGo  Moderator

Right. What if I was gonna use the pc for other stuff like other games and faster internet conenction and runing age of empires 3 faster and... or should I play OBLIVION on a friend's pc or something to test it, see hwo it works? And also, both my parents are teachers with good pay so they get £70,000 a year together. Still worth it?AgentOfLight

ok i guess since money isn't a problem - get yourself a good computer as i said 2Gb DDR2 RAM, good 4Ghz+ proccesor (or dual core), and a GeForce 7950GX2 or 8800GTX - you'll be able to run Oblivion on max graphics with 60+ fps

TheIronLotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 TheIronLotus
Member since 2007 • 53 Posts

I pretty much changed everything in my computer when this game came out. At this point i can say im glad that i did. Changing your PC for one game is only temporary because down the line when a game that has high demands comes out you can say that you have the computer to run it. So for now you are just building for one game but theres going to be a lot more to look in to later.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

AgentOfLight

No game is worth shelling out money for a new rig for.

Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Luminouslight
Member since 2007 • 6397 Posts
I had to upgrade my graphics card, but it still ran like crap. I upgraded my computer a year later... and i am happy with it :) even though I already had beaten Oblivion on my old computer.
superduperdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 superduperdog
Member since 2006 • 546 Posts
No elder scrolls oblivion is very disappointing. I mean some of the quests are cool but the ppl who make them in the mods section have cooler quests.
superduperdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 superduperdog
Member since 2006 • 546 Posts
I would suggest an amd processor if ur a gamer. Amd is much better for games than Pentium. They also cheaper. A 2.2 gh amd is the same a 3.2 gh Pentium when it comes 2 games.
xXSN1PERXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 xXSN1PERXx
Member since 2007 • 309 Posts
upgrading is inevitable if u want tosurvive in the gaming world... i suggest u upgrade because soone enough ull see another game ull want and another and another until u upgrade anyway
AgentOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AgentOfLight

I've already played Oblivion on a friends pc and I thougth it was really good. So I do want it I just want to know about getting a new pc. I can't get an XBOX!!! (mum and dad wont let me and it costs more money)

So if I get a new pc with the really good graphics card and all that technical stuff you mentioned, it'll be good? (possibility of buying new games for it so dont overlook that fact)

Simple yes or no's now please.

WARxSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 WARxSnake
Member since 2006 • 2154 Posts

My advise to you is not to upgrade you PC. I've upgraded my PC many times, and after a few months, i regret it. If you want to play oblivion go buy yourself a xbox 360. PC's are too darn expensive to keep on upgrading. :evil:shafrox

theres no need whatsoever to blindly update right and left, well thats if you fall for needing every single small advance in gfx technology like buying a 7800 after a 6800. a 6800 can do anything a 7800 does and my brother plays world in conflict beta with it just fine.

you really need to update every three or for years for major parts, nothing less, if money is your concern.

firebreathing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 firebreathing
Member since 2005 • 4619 Posts

[QUOTE="cevic"]Yeah, if you want a new PC for games, make it worth for 4 years.everson_rm

A PC for games during 4 years... well, any PC that you eventualy get, will be piece of crap in 2 years...

wow, you must waste a lot of money

everson_rm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 everson_rm
[QUOTE="everson_rm"]

[QUOTE="cevic"]Yeah, if you want a new PC for games, make it worth for 4 years.firebreathing

Not really. The fact is that I've buyed my 3rd PC in nine years, and for the first time I've buyed a really good PC, with a Top series Gfx Card, and a good processor. But I've already regreated it, cause in the end of year it will be launched a new series of Core 2 Duo, wich in some game aplications it DOUBLE the amount of gaming speed.And in the begining of the next year NVIDIAwill launching the 9000 series wich is 40%-80% faster them the 8000 seriesI mean WTF, i've buyed a good pc, payed almost U$ 1600 (here in my country theese PC parts are realy expensive, exampleis that my 8800 GTS cost me U$550) and is already becoming obsolete...:cry:

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Yes, if you really wanna play it.
WARxSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 WARxSnake
Member since 2006 • 2154 Posts
[QUOTE="firebreathing"][QUOTE="everson_rm"]

[QUOTE="cevic"]Yeah, if you want a new PC for games, make it worth for 4 years.everson_rm

Not really. The fact is that I've buyed my 3rd PC in nine years, and for the first time I've buyed a really good PC, with a Top series Gfx Card, and a good processor. But I've already regreated it, cause in the end of year it will be launched a new series of Core 2 Duo, wich in some game aplications it DOUBLE the amount of gaming speed.And in the begining of the next year NVIDIAwill launching the 9000 series wich is 40%-80% faster them the 8000 seriesI mean WTF, i've buyed a good pc, payed almost U$ 1600 (here in my country theese PC parts are realy expensive, exampleis that my 8800 GTS cost me U$550) and is already becoming obsolete...:cry:

how is your gts 'becoming obsolete'? there is no game yet that will push it to the limit and im pretty sure crysis will run fine with a gts, and even though 8900s are around the corner, crysis will set the high point for a long time, at least, as long as these multiplatform games keep coming out.

KrisG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KrisG7
Member since 2005 • 2430 Posts

I've already played Oblivion on a friends pc and I thougth it was really good. So I do want it I just want to know about getting a new pc. I can't get an XBOX!!! (mum and dad wont let me and it costs more money)

So if I get a new pc with the really good graphics card and all that technical stuff you mentioned, it'll be good? (possibility of buying new games for it so dont overlook that fact)

AgentOfLight

LOLOLOL, "Mom and dad won't let me..." You relize that upgrading will cost 3 times as much a Xbox360. A video card alone is a 360 right there. Then you are looking at RAM andProcessor chips, I suggest doing some research to find out how to build a computer and what you need to make something you want work for you. I put together my dream computer that cost around $1900 and it's not even TOP!! of the line. Fairly close though, Im think about going QuadCore and a G80 GTS 640MB

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GeryGo  Moderator

AgentOfLight

yes - read my last post

KrisG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KrisG7
Member since 2005 • 2430 Posts
[QUOTE="firebreathing"][QUOTE="everson_rm"]

Please stop saying "buyed" In the past tense, it would be "Bought."

Avatar image for Diva-of-Destiny
Diva-of-Destiny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 Diva-of-Destiny
Member since 2007 • 141 Posts

Look at it this way. You'll have the added benefit of being able to play other new PC games as they come out. If you were REALLY only going to play that one game, it wouldn't be worth the high cost of a new pc, but once you have the new pc you will probably play other games.

I played Oblivion on the Xbox360 and it's a massive game that will give you over 100 hours of gameplay, easily. It's also highly critically claimed, was nominated for "game of the year" by several different media outlets. It's a truly amazing game.

Arch-Vil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 Arch-Vil
Member since 2007 • 211 Posts
I wonna buy a new computer for this very game .
blue_sparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 blue_sparks
Member since 2006 • 205 Posts

I LOVE oblivion, but I certainly wouldn't upgrade just for its sake. Think of it as a cost/benefit analysis: if your system is old (4+ years) you should upgrade without a doubt. 2+ years, go ahead and upgrade if you're really longing for Oblivion.

I'm assuming your system isn't that great if it can't run Oblivion at medium/high on 1024x768. However, if you're tight on money and you'd have to make complete upgrades in CPU, mobo, RAM, video card, and possibly PSU, it may not be worth your money. (Unless of course you've got like $500 stockpiled, which I don't)

uberchrislol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 uberchrislol
Member since 2007 • 218 Posts

No elder scrolls oblivion is very disappointing. I mean some of the quests are cool but the ppl who make them in the mods section have cooler quests.superduperdog

Umm.. Oblivion is the greatest game ever made.

cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts

It is never worth getting a new PC just to play one game.

If there are a number of games you wish to play but must upgrade for then yes go for it.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts

[QUOTE="superduperdog"]No elder scrolls oblivion is very disappointing. I mean some of the quests are cool but the ppl who make them in the mods section have cooler quests.uberchrislol

Umm.. Oblivion is the greatest game ever made.

ROFL not even close

AgentOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AgentOfLight
My system is 3 yrs old so i may upgrade soonn anyway. thanks alot people!
DrDoomed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DrDoomed
Member since 2003 • 11386 Posts

How drastic an upgrade are you talking here? $250 , $500 , $750+ ? Remember it's just a $30 GAME.

Personally I heard the game was crazy for RPG fans but still had its flaws so just weigh everything up.

AgentOfLight