World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

holladios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 holladios
Member since 2010 • 53 Posts

Hey guys, Im not a big time PC gamer. But my dad is. I was thinking about getting him Cataclysm for christmas but i honestly have no clue how WoW works. I know that he has the World of Warcraft Battlechest, so having that can he play Cataclysm if i buy him a copy? Is Cataclysm like an expansion pack? If so what does it feature? How would he be able to access it? Does he need to have the Lich King in order to play Cataclysm? Lstly, do you have to pay a monthly fee or can you just play single player without anyone else? thank you, any information is greatly appreciated! =)

Whatcurb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Whatcurb
Member since 2010 • 75 Posts

Hey guys, Im not a big time PC gamer. But my dad is. I was thinking about getting him Cataclysm for christmas but i honestly have no clue how WoW works. I know that he has the World of Warcraft Battlechest, so having that can he play Cataclysm if i buy him a copy? Is Cataclysm like an expansion pack? If so what does it feature? How would he be able to access it? Does he need to have the Lich King in order to play Cataclysm? Lstly, do you have to pay a monthly fee or can you just play single player without anyone else? thank you, any information is greatly appreciated! =)

holladios

Cataclysm is an expansion and requires all prior expansions to upgrade. There's a monthly fee of $15.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

I suggest you get him another game if he aint playing wow right now. Or else you will have to buy the expansions + gametime for him... so :P

spittis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 spittis
Member since 2005 • 1875 Posts

Or if you really want to give something WoW related, get Wrath of the Lich King for him since I assume he got original WoW and Burning Crusade with the Battlechest. When he's through WoTLK content he can buy Cata himself if he still wants to continue? :) And having WOTLK makes him able to create a Death Knight.

holladios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 holladios
Member since 2010 • 53 Posts

great thanks guys!

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

One thing you need to know if you already decided, you need to level to 10 fast, use dungeons and alternate with questing (for gear mostly), at 15 do pvp till 30, once you have prereq levels for dungeons do each at least 4 times (this is 15-30, and I mena dungeons that are red for your level), at 30 something start questing in tanaris ungoro and feralas ( don't remeber their levels sorry :(), continue to do pvp and dungeons from time to time and you should reach 60 fairly fast, clean hellfire, nagrand and go borean t or howling f, they're the same, depends on what you like more, clean one of them of quests, clean dragonlight, grizzly hills, storm peaks, sholazar and at 76 be sure to do mostly pvp since you gain more levels at 76-80 through pvp in one day than you get questing or doing dungeons in days, you should be 80 already.

That's the best route imo since all of it is fun especially storm peaks, you should be 80 in 5 days if you use qhelper because it will eliminate most of the back forth wasted time, but if you play casually should be easy to get to 80 before cataclysm.( posting from the phone, sorry if there are mistakes :p)

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts
[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

One thing you need to know if you already decided, you need to level to 10 fast, use dungeons and alternate with questing (for gear mostly), at 15 do pvp till 30, once you have prereq levels for dungeons do each at least 4 times (this is 15-30, and I mena dungeons that are red for your level), at 30 something start questing in tanaris ungoro and feralas ( don't remeber their levels sorry :(), continue to do pvp and dungeons from time to time and you should reach 60 fairly fast, clean hellfire, nagrand and go borean t or howling f, they're the same, depends on what you like more, clean one of them of quests, clean dragonlight, grizzly hills, storm peaks, sholazar and at 76 be sure to do mostly pvp since you gain more levels at 76-80 through pvp in one day than you get questing or doing dungeons in days, you should be 80 already.

That's the best route imo since all of it is fun especially storm peaks, you should be 80 in 5 days if you use qhelper because it will eliminate most of the back forth wasted time, but if you play casually should be easy to get to 80 before cataclysm.( posting from the phone, sorry if there are mistakes :p)

OR he can take it slowly and enjoy the game at his own pace doing the things he wants to do :P Leveling was much funner back in the day without all that auto queue bs and crazy exp you get from BG's
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DanielDust

OR he can take it slowly and enjoy the game at his own pace doing the things he wants to do :P Leveling was much funner back in the day without all that auto queue bs and crazy exp you get from BG'sPrexxus
If you read carefully I wrote it because that's what I consider to be the best of WoW, everything else is horrible (from the horde side at least), Icecrown being the worst, you can't do dungeons too much because you'll get sick of them, but the pvp grind is a must at least for people that actually consider pvp better or at least at the same level as pve. You can reach 80 with great gear in 5 days (because of jp) but at any casual pace, like 2-3 hours per day, he should easily reach 80 before cataclysm, if he doesn't bother with useless questing.

This is my 3rd WoW account (first in WoW, 2nd BC and after a while, this year I started again from scratch), the game becoming easier is kinda bad but when it's about questing and dungeons, it's much better than getting stranded somewhere without a clue as to what to do next, or searching all day for a party for dungeons, also cross realm pvp is a great addition but can't wait for ranked pvp :) since alliance on Ragnaros is decent at best.

Avatar image for Roland123_basic
Roland123_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Roland123_basic
Member since 2002 • 3841 Posts

[QUOTE="Prexxus"]OR he can take it slowly and enjoy the game at his own pace doing the things he wants to do :P Leveling was much funner back in the day without all that auto queue bs and crazy exp you get from BG'sDanielDust

If you read carefully I wrote it because that's what I consider to be the best of WoW, everything else is horrible (from the horde side at least), Icecrown being the worst, you can't do dungeons too much because you'll get sick of them, but the pvp grind is a must at least for people that actually consider pvp better or at least at the same level as pve. You can reach 80 with great gear in 5 days (because of jp) but at any casual pace, like 2-3 hours per day, he should easily reach 80 before cataclysm, if he doesn't bother with useless questing.

This is my 3rd WoW account (first in WoW, 2nd BC and after a while, this year I started again from scratch), the game becoming easier is kinda bad but when it's about questing and dungeons, it's much better than getting stranded somewhere without a clue as to what to do next, or searching all day for a party for dungeons, also cross realm pvp is a great addition but can't wait for ranked pvp :) since alliance on Ragnaros is decent at best.

so the only game you like.... admitted in another thread... is also mostly horrible except a few things? i really dont understand why you play videogames anymore
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#11 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
i don't play wow but i believe you need all the other expansions because each one raises the level limit.(burning crusade raise levels to 70, wrath of the lich king-80, cataclysmto 85) so if he only as the battle chest he will need the wrath of the king or something like that. the one with the snow art work before he can play the new one
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DanielDust

so the only game you like.... admitted in another thread... is also mostly horrible except a few things? i really dont understand why you play videogames anymoreRoland123_basic
I really don't understand how you process these words...it's about zones, WoW has lots of them, with lots of different themes, I don't like zones that are not full of life, simple as that, or zones that have mostly brown. You can avoid all of them, WoW is huge, you also have choices, only if you really want to complete absolutely everything, then you'll have to complete those zones too.

Avatar image for Roland123_basic
Roland123_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Roland123_basic
Member since 2002 • 3841 Posts

[QUOTE="Roland123_basic"] so the only game you like.... admitted in another thread... is also mostly horrible except a few things? i really dont understand why you play videogames anymoreDanielDust

I really don't understand how you process these words...it's about zones, WoW has lots of them, with lots of different themes, I don't like zones that are not full of life, simple as that, or zones that have mostly brown. You can avoid all of them, WoW is huge, you also have choices, only if you really want to complete absolutely everything, then you'll have to complete those zones too.

from your own words: "If you read carefully I wrote it because that's what I consider to be the best of WoW, everything else is horrible (from the horde side at least)" please.... please tell me how i am suppost to "process" this other than "i dislike most of wow, except for a few things". and considering it is the only game you apparently like.... as you said in another thread, i dont see why you would even play any games at all if there isnt even ONE that you fully like?
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DanielDust

What I posted almost one month ago on this thread is a quick and fast guide to reaching 80 since the TC was worried about not being able to do so until Cataclysm.

If you, really want to know what I hate about WoW then I'll write them down.

Desolace (the old one, the new Cataclysm Desolace is superb)

Burning Steppes

Redridge Mountains

Deadwind Pass

Blasted Lands

Why did I say from the horde side? because except Desolace the others are all from Eastern kingdoms and for horde it's a bother to quest there.

Shadowmoon Valley

Blade's Edge Mountains

Icecrown

Those are all, I don't like them, but I do travel through some because of certain factions. That's the best thing about WoW, it has soo much content you can avoid what you don't like, but each zone has certain rewards so, you'll have to go through them "if" you want those rewards. Yet here I am after 1000 hours + on my *new* main and I'm still not even close to needing to complete those zones just for the sake of completing them, except Netherwing reputation.