Witcher 3 hype thread: Reviews Roundup!

• 134 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 attirex  Online
Member since 2007 • 2451 Posts

You guys are slackin'. Here you go:

LINK

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

PC got a 10? I'm in shock and awe.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

The wait... I cant wait for this glorious game. Pre-Ordered it yesterday for $48

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

Those are PS4 reviews. Suppose to be a PC thread, ain't it?

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 attirex  Online

OK, because this is the GS forums, any wagers on how many more posts before this thread turns against W3 and it becomes "worst game ever," "sucks," "meh," "overrated," "CDPR not what it used to be and all their devs should kill themselves and their families," etc? I predict by two more posts. :-)

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

Just a heads up for anyone on Steam the Witcher 3 Preload is up.

21.3 gb download size.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Why?

It looks really good from the previews.

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

I wasn't going to play TW3 because I honestly couldn't get into the 2nd one, although I did finish it, but damn I think I may need to put GTA V on hold.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

If it was PC-only, it would get 8/10.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KHAndAnime

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@KHAndAnime said:

That's the feeling I get at GS. I've always owned and played consoles and I've always found it incredibly weird how generous they've been with console scores, yet they're incredibly nitpicky with their PC scores. It's as if their PC reviews are written in a much more critical tone. I mean, in the end, you can give and justify any score for a game you want. The scores have no meaning whatsoever, and if anything, the scoring pattern is less indicative of the quality of games and more indicative of a reviewer's mindset and preferences. It's just funny to me that not a single person reviewer GS felt a single PC game was worth trying to justify a 10 for in the past 20 years. In the end - it took a PC-led multiplat to get there.

But who knows, there's still time for them for to release a separate review for the PC version giving it a 9, maybe I'm speaking too soon.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

I'm honestly doing a media blackout for this game (haven't watched any videos). I'm a huge fan of the first 2 games and while I do have some worries about the switch to a completely open world the scores seem to be fantastic so far. These next 6 days are going to be hard to get through.

digitm64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By digitm64
Member since 2013 • 470 Posts

If the PS4 version got 10/10, I imagine the PC version on Ultra at 1440p will score a 15/10.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#13 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Game is going to be amazing

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside

@KHAndAnime said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:
@KHAndAnime said:

That's the feeling I get at GS. I've always owned and played consoles and I've always found it incredibly weird how generous they've been with console scores, yet they're incredibly nitpicky with their PC scores. It's as if their PC reviews are written in a much more critical tone.

But who knows, there's still time for them for to release a separate review for the PC version giving it a 9, maybe I'm speaking too soon.

"yet they're incredibly nitpicky with their PC scores."

Maybe cause we have higher standards than console gamers?

"there's still time for them for to release a separate review for the PC version giving it a 9"

What's wrong with a 10 for PC? Why do you want it to score less?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#15 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69439 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

That is rubbish. Gaming is gaming. The idea that PC games are held to a higher standard is unfounded and is a weak reasoning for PC games perpetually receiving a less than perfect score on this site. I anticipate the PC version to get a 9/10 just cause. I will be utterly surprised to see to the contrary.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FelipeInside

@Pedro said:
@FelipeInside said:

That is rubbish. Gaming is gaming. The idea that PC games are held to a higher standard is unfounded and is a weak reasoning for PC games perpetually receiving a less than perfect score on this site. I anticipate the PC version to get a 9/10 just cause. I will be utterly surprised to see to the contrary.

It's not rubbish.

Normally (generally) PC gamers except more from a game than console gamers. Nothing wrong with that, just the way it is. PC gaming allows for higher standards in technical fields.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pedro

@FelipeInside said:

It's not rubbish.

Normally (generally) PC gamers except more from a game than console gamers. Nothing wrong with that, just the way it is. PC gaming allows for higher standards in technical fields.

It is rubbish and at the very least an unfounded claim. You may expect more but you are not the voice of PC gamers. Gaming is gaming regardless of platform. PC can offer better graphics but its typically a marginal benefit especially for console ports. All of it technical prowess has been rather useless so its not worth mentioning especially since the vast majority of games don't use its potential and generally doesn't need it. There are more PC games than their are console games and for a site to give a perfect score on consoles but not a PC seems rather slighted. I am not a big fan of 10/10 numerical rating but I find it unrealistic that they cannot rate any PC game 10/10.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#18 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

I recommend you guys to check out review at Playstation Official Magazine. It's hilarious. Like it's written by some 12 years old.

@KHAndAnime said:

It's multiplat. If it was PC exclusive, that Con "Few bugs" would've been enough to bring down the score to 9/10. Even a lot smaller issues are nitpicked when it comes to PC exclusives. For Example: Starcraft 2's review "Con: Some battle.net annoyances". Funny thing is IGN gave it 9.3. If it was Naughty Dog game with broken AI, it would've been 10/10 there. The fact is, PC games will never be as mainstream as Console games but luckily higher score =/= better game.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FelipeInside

@Pedro said:
@FelipeInside said:

It's not rubbish.

It is rubbish and at the very least an unfounded claim. You may expect more but you are not the voice of PC gamers. Gaming is gaming regardless of platform. PC can offer better graphics but its typically a marginal benefit especially for console ports. All of it technical prowess has been rather useless so its not worth mentioning especially since the vast majority of games don't use its potential and generally doesn't need it. There are more PC games than their are console games and for a site to give a perfect score on consoles but not a PC seems rather slighted. I am not a big fan of 10/10 numerical rating but I find it unrealistic that they cannot rate any PC game 10/10.

It's not rubbish or unfounded. I am not the voice of PC Gamers but just reading through these forums and talking to people I know both on the PC side and the Console side it's generally that PC gamers except more. (and I'm not saying this as a PC fan, I own a PS4 too).

PC gamers normally can't stand games at 30fps and 720p, while console gamers are fine with that. Most PC Gamers think Destiny is crap, while console gamers think it's the next coming of Jesus. and the list goes on....

As for the score, a 10/10 doesn't necessarily mean a game is perfect, it just means that it has done so many things at such an excellent level of quality that the few flaws are minor and don't affect the overall experience.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Pedro

@FelipeInside said:

It's not rubbish or unfounded. I am not the voice of PC Gamers but just reading through these forums and talking to people I know both on the PC side and the Console side it's generally that PC gamers except more. (and I'm not saying this as a PC fan, I own a PS4 too).

PC gamers normally can't stand games at 30fps and 720p, while console gamers are fine with that. Most PC Gamers think Destiny is crap, while console gamers think it's the next coming of Jesus. and the list goes on....

As for the score, a 10/10 doesn't necessarily mean a game is perfect, it just means that it has done so many things at such an excellent level of quality that the few flaws are minor and don't affect the overall experience.

Again you are trying to speak on behalf of PC gamers. You can't say you don't speak for PC gamers then immediately follow up that statement with your view as the view of most PC gamers. Regardless of the platform, the average gamer do not care about the things you have mentioned. These forums represent the most "passionate" gamers and not the majority of gamers.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FelipeInside

@Pedro said:
@FelipeInside said:

Again you are trying to speak on behalf of PC gamers. You can't say you don't speak for PC gamers then immediately follow up that statement with your view as the view of most PC gamers. Regardless of the platform, the average gamer do not care about the things you have mentioned. These forums represent the most "passionate" gamers and not the majority of gamers.

LOL no sorry.

Outside of these forums, out of 10 PC Gamers I talk to, 9 of them always consider resolution, framerate, hardware etc etc as important as the game itself.... while out of 10 console gamers I talk to, 9 of them don't really care as long as the game works.

Find me a PC Gamer that is fine playing a game at 30fps 720p instead of 70fps 1080p+ at 120hz/144hz.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Pedro

@FelipeInside said:

LOL no sorry.

Outside of these forums, out of 10 PC Gamers I talk to, 9 of them always consider resolution, framerate, hardware etc etc as important as the game itself.... while out of 10 console gamers I talk to, 9 of them don't really care as long as the game works.

Find me a PC Gamer that is fine playing a game at 30fps 720p instead of 70fps 1080p+ at 120hz/144hz.

Using anecdotal evidence as backing is rather silly don't you think? You are taking your personal preference as the general view of PC gamers. Most PC gamers according to Steam survey do not game at higher end of the spectrum and a huge chunk of these gamers are gaming on integrated graphics, in addition to that more PC gamers game on dual core than quad core. The vast majority of the dual core user base is not sporting highend graphics. The focus on these performance specifications maybe of great importance to you but the hardware that most PC gamers use disagrees with your assertion.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

Outside of these forums, out of 10 PC Gamers I talk to, 9 of them always consider resolution, framerate, hardware etc etc as important as the game itself.

PC tards gonna tard

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Can't wait to flip through the comic that came with my pre-order while it installs.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FelipeInside

@Pedro said:
@FelipeInside said:

LOL no sorry.

Using anecdotal evidence as backing is rather silly don't you think? You are taking your personal preference as the general view of PC gamers. Most PC gamers according to Steam survey do not game at higher end of the spectrum and a huge chunk of these gamers are gaming on integrated graphics, in addition to that more PC gamers game on dual core than quad core. The vast majority of the dual core user base is not sporting highend graphics. The focus on these performance specifications maybe of great importance to you but the hardware that most PC gamers use disagrees with your assertion.

I wouldn't call 50-60fps at 1080p the "higher end of the spectrum".

But like I said, ask 10 PC Gamers outside of these forums and you will get a majority response where they care about framerate, resolution etc. (you wanted evidence, you'll get it that way)

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FelipeInside

@bussinrounds said:
@FelipeInside said:

Outside of these forums, out of 10 PC Gamers I talk to, 9 of them always consider resolution, framerate, hardware etc etc as important as the game itself.

PC tards gonna tard

Caring about the performance of a game and your PC isn't "tarding" (whatever that means).

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pedro

@FelipeInside said:

But like I said, ask 10 PC Gamers outside of these forums and you will get a majority response where they care about framerate, resolution etc. (you wanted evidence, you'll get it that way)

You need to understand the difference between facts and opinion. Until then, I digress.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FelipeInside

@Pedro said:
@FelipeInside said:

You need to understand the difference between facts and opinion. Until then, I digress.

I understand the difference.

My opinion is that 50-60fps at 1080p isn't "higher end of the spectrum".

My fact is that PC Gamers have higher standards than Console Gamers. (generally speaking)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pedro

@FelipeInside said:

My fact is that PC Gamers have higher standards than Console Gamers. (generally speaking)

It is not a fact regardless of how often your repeat it. :)

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FelipeInside

@Pedro said:
@FelipeInside said:

It is not a fact regardless of how often your repeat it. :)

Keyword: generally speaking.

So it's not EVERY PC Gamer, and not EVERY Console Gamer (for example I know console gamers that have higher standards than PC gamers).

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

I got the game pre-ordered.. But I got to finish TW 2 first... :( I'll just put it on hold for now. Not like the game will get worse over time.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Now we just wait *twiddles thumbs*

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FelipeInside

Pre-Load has started :)

Got it for free too with my GTX980 :)

GoodKingMog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GoodKingMog
Member since 2015 • 167 Posts

every review i have read so far has said the main storyline is pretty bland and uninteresting.... for an RPG, that is about as damning as any statement can be.

in RPGs... the story is the most important component. even if the gameplay is great, the game should still ultimately be considered "mediocre" if the story is mediocre. it would be like a football game where the act of playing football is not fun.... or a shooter where the guns feel like garbage.

to me, if the witcher 3 has a poor story, it can score no better than a 7/10. which is sad, because the witcher 1 and the witcher 2 had excellent stories, and were certainly 9.5/10s for me. guess we will wait and see

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@bussinrounds said:
@FelipeInside said:

PC tards gonna tard

Caring about the performance of a game and your PC isn't "tarding" (whatever that means).

Caring more about it than actually getting a decent game is tarding though.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FelipeInside

@bussinrounds said:
@FelipeInside said:
@bussinrounds said:
@FelipeInside said:

PC tards gonna tard

Caring more about it than actually getting a decent game is tarding though.

I never said "caring more about it", I said caring about.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

If this was a PC exclusive like 1 and 2 then it wouldn't have been a 10/10

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By attirex  Online

@goodkingmog said:

every review i have read so far has said the main storyline is pretty bland and uninteresting.... for an RPG, that is about as damning as any statement can be.

in RPGs... the story is the most important component. even if the gameplay is great, the game should still ultimately be considered "mediocre" if the story is mediocre. it would be like a football game where the act of playing football is not fun.... or a shooter where the guns feel like garbage.

to me, if the witcher 3 has a poor story, it can score no better than a 7/10. which is sad, because the witcher 1 and the witcher 2 had excellent stories, and were certainly 9.5/10s for me. guess we will wait and see

There it is! Removing the back-and-forth about PC gamers vs. consolers, per my earlier post, the first negative W3 comment took only four or five posts. I love you GS guys. :-)

OK, so W3 is overrated sh*t. I was going to pre-order, but now I think I'll wait until holiday sales at the end of the year.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#40  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58914 Posts

Holding off - Witcher 2 was very consolized and pc reviews have been withheld. Lots of reviews are pure hyperbole, espcailly the console oriented ones.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 attirex  Online

Yep. Too bad, I was looking forward to this one. Oh well. :-(

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FelipeInside

@attirex said:
@goodkingmog said:

There it is! Removing the back-and-forth about PC gamers vs. consolers, per my earlier post, the first negative W3 comment took only four or five posts. I love you GS guys. :-)

OK, so W3 is overrated sh*t. I was going to pre-order, but now I think I'll wait until holiday sales at the end of the year.

I don't know what reviews that guy has read, don't listen to him.

I have yet to play Witcher 3, but 1 and 2 were great... and by what I've seen of part 3 it doesn't take a detective to know it will also be great.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Holding off - Witcher 2 was very consolized and pc reviews have been withheld. Lots of reviews are pure hyperbole, espcailly the console oriented ones.

So full of BS

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Another review for you guys: http://www.gamesradar.com/witcher-3-wild-hunt-review/

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Hmmm. I haven't bought a medieval-themed RPG since the first Witcher due to the "same old medieval crap" burnout. But, it's been years. So, I may think it over.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 KHAndAnime

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Hmmm. I haven't bought a medieval-themed RPG since the first Witcher due to the "same old medieval crap" burnout. But, it's been years. So, I may think it over.

I'm thinking it over too. My issue with The Witcher games is the combat. It's just never been particularly fun or engaging for me. Hell - I found Morrowinds combat more fun.

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

@FelipeInside: Congratz on the Card mate . !

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FelipeInside

@Jawad2007 said:

@FelipeInside: Congratz on the Card mate . !

Thanks dude.

Haven't really tested it yet since I've been playing Sniper Elite 3 which came out a few years ago (great game).

Can't wait for Witcher 3 !!!!

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

@FelipeInside: Cant Wait 2 :) if anyone wanna share the experience while playing add me in GOG .

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

I just bought witcher 3 on eBay for 25 bucks it was a nvidia promo code. First time using gog.