Witcher 2 worth it? Or should I get Dark Souls?

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#51 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
Dark Souls is great, but the price for Witcher 2 is simply too legendary. Dark Souls is also very difficult, so there is the chance that you may not enjoy the game. DS isn't a game for everyone, while Witcher 2 certainly can. Finally, the PC port of Dark Souls is below the industry-average in this day and age. You will want both mods and a controller to make the experience more enjoyable. I suggest getting Witcher 2 now, and Dark Souls in a year or two in another sale.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#52 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Both are pretty great, but I preferred Dark Souls. I think the world design was just amazing, the customization and online functions were detailed and innovative, and unlike TW2 it did a much better job of feeling fair and bringing the player to speed on it's mechanics and controls.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#53 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="GhoX"]Dark Souls is great, but the price for Witcher 2 is simply too legendary. Dark Souls is also very difficult, so there is the chance that you may not enjoy the game. DS isn't a game for everyone, while Witcher 2 certainly can. Finally, the PC port of Dark Souls is below the industry-average in this day and age. You will want both mods and a controller to make the experience more enjoyable. I suggest getting Witcher 2 now, and Dark Souls in a year or two in another sale.

Dark Souls 2 was $15 on Amazon.com this past week during the sale. You can count on it happening again in December. No need to wait a year.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
The Witcher 2 is well worth $50. $7 for the game is almost stealing. :P
ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#55 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

Dark Souls is a straight up "GAMERS" GAME. TW2 is average, it's an "adventure" game and the gameplay is weak in comparison.

CassiusGaius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 CassiusGaius
Member since 2006 • 865 Posts

I think for $7 bucks you can't go wrong with The Witcher, but even still I'd strongly recommend Dark Souls.

Dark Souls is a no frills game that has great emphasis on gameplay. You won't be wasting you time reading text or watching cutscenes, instead you will spend upwards of 80+ hours playing the game(one playthrough). I think in this day and age when people complain about excessive cinematics and hand holding, Dark Souls actually goes back to the root of what it means to be a video game.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Toxic-Seahorse

I think for $7 bucks you can't go wrong with The Witcher, but even still I'd strongly recommend Dark Souls.

Dark Souls is a no frills game that has great emphasis on gameplay. You won't be wasting you time reading text or watching cutscenes, instead you will spend upwards of 80+ hours playing the game(one playthrough). I think in this day and age when people complain about excessive cinematics and hand holding, Dark Souls actually goes back to the root of what it means to be a video game.

CassiusGaius
I fail to see how a lack of cinematics makes it more of a video game.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#58 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

CassiusGaius
True, but Dark Souls is a horrible port. I am aware of the DSfix for higher resolution and all, but still no excuse. And for those that have never used a control pad/xbox 360 controller for their PC gaming, they have to shell out another $50 just so they can play Dark Souls. Imho, that's a shame. Dark Souls down to it's core is a great game but the console version plays better.
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
I never really liked TW1 so I never bothered with TW2, but I have heard great things about it. For me though I am keeping my money till something I am more sure I will like comes along.
CassiusGaius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 CassiusGaius
Member since 2006 • 865 Posts

[QUOTE="CassiusGaius"]

Toxic-Seahorse

Well, the more cinematics, the less time you are playing a game. I'm not saying cinamtics are bad at all, but some games have an excessive amount and people often make the critique that it is less of a game and more of an interactive movie(this isn't a reference to TW2).

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Toxic-Seahorse

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="CassiusGaius"]

CassiusGaius

Well, the more cinematics, the less time you are playing a game. I'm not saying cinamtics are bad at all, but some games have an excessive amount and people often make the critique that it is less of a game and more of an interactive movie(this isn't a reference to TW2).

Not true. A game can have a lot of cinematics and still have more gameplay than a game without any cinematics. More cinematics doesn't mean less gameplay time. It all depends on how the game is made.
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts
Dark Souls easily.
Moriarity_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Moriarity_
Member since 2011 • 1332 Posts
It comes down to preference really. Both are fantastic games but you can't really go wrong with Witcher 2 at $7.
Gibsonsg527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Gibsonsg527
Member since 2010 • 3313 Posts

The Witcher 2 is the the better game imo.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#65 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

it sounds like Dark Souls has a better atmosphere and better gameplay, and in my opinion this means a better game. I love good stories but not at the cost of those two. thanks for the input guys

cboyuno

A lot of Dark Souls fanboys ( and they seem to be in abundance here on GS ) will say any game is crap if you put it up against Dark Souls. Heres an idea of Dark Souls' "amazing" game play:

Run around, die, re spawn, run around some more, die. Repeat this another 10 times until you figure out the attack pattern of whatever it is thats killing you and then, run around and die again to something else before reaching a checkpoint that spawns all the monsters back again so that you can die and run around and then die again.

Apparently Dark Souls has some really good level design too but all I saw during my play through, between dieing and re spawning was a bland environment with recycled props and a but load of puke textures covering the walls. Ill not get too much into the piss poor port job and the amount of bugs like mobs/player falling through the world, just Google it to get an idea of how bad that is. The most fun i had with Dark Souls was uninstalling it.

TW2 is a quality game with a mature setting and agreat story, decisions you make actually determine your path in the game and the storys overall outcome. though the combat is similar to Dark Souls in a way, ( fanboys recon Dark Souls has amazing combat mechanics LOL ) it is a lot more forgiving and IMO its generally more polished and undoubtedly more fun.

To the DS fanboys: Yeah i know your going to tell me that the reason i dont like the game is because im bad at it, ( iv heard it all before ) but dont act like what i said isnt true and that you did not die over and over while playing it because you and I both know its a flat out lie.

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

You should definitely get it.

Dark souls is absolute crap.All it has is combat.It is fun for the first few hours,but after that it feels like a chore.

Emraldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Emraldo
Member since 2004 • 1959 Posts

Dark Souls and the Witcher 2 are tied for the best game of 2011 IMO. Both have challenging combat and deep settings, my reccomendation is get the Witcher 2 now because it's cheap, then if you finish it by Christmas get Dark Souls then.

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

The Witcher 2 is a quality character/story driven RPG, and Dark Souls is the best solo base dungeon crawler.

TW2 would give you a more complete role-playing experience: choice-consequence as part of gameplay, and different ways of dealing with various situations. in certain areas, you can hack n' slash through, stealth through, or just talk through it.

of course, if you only care about killing, leveling up, and finding in-game secrets...these gameplay elements mean nothing and you should go for DS.

as for "atmosphere"...it's so subjective that you cannot really say wich game is better at this department. for me personally, the orginal Wicther gives me the most "atmospheric" gameworld.

also, there's a thing about "principle" more than games themselves. DS is a barebone console port, with ZERO post-release dev support whatsoever. PC community fixes the game to be one of the best looking games around.

on the other hand, CD projekt removes DRM after release and gives out enhanced edition upgrade for free. don't even want to spend a bit money to support this type of dev?

oh, one last thing, if you enjoy griefing or being griefed...DS is a sp-mp hybrid; it has a sick pvp system that will suit you perfectly.

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#69 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5467 Posts

I just got Witcher 2 for 5.99! Im not sure my system can run it but in my eyes i wanna give them a sale because i enjoyed the 1st game! So i cant comment on which game is better yet or even if they can be compared. Lets put it this way tho Dark Souls and Deamons are 2 of the best games i have ever had the pleasure of playing. Darksouls is a masterpice invotive and a leap in the right direction! Great Dark Fantasy great settings and mood coupled with fantatic enemies. Get BOTH! Just get Both dude. Get Witcher now if you like and DS later when you have a gamepad etc

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5467 Posts

The Witcher 2 is a quality character/story driven RPG, and Dark Souls is the best solo base dungeon crawler.

TW2 would give you a more complete role-playing experience: choice-consequence as part of gameplay, and different ways of dealing with various situations. in certain areas, you can hack n' slash through, stealth through, or just talk through it.

of course, if you only care about killing, leveling up, and finding in-game secrets...these gameplay elements mean nothing and you should go for DS.

as for "atmosphere"...it's so subjective that you cannot really say wich game is better at this department. for me personally, the orginal Wicther gives me the most "atmospheric" gameworld.

also, there's a thing about "principle" more than games themselves. DS is a barebone console port, with ZERO post-release dev support whatsoever. PC community fixes the game to be one of the best looking games around.

on the other hand, CD projekt removes DRM after release and gives out enhanced edition upgrade for free. don't even want to spend a bit money to support this type of dev?

oh, one last thing, if you enjoy griefing or being griefed...DS is a sp-mp hybrid; it has a sick pvp system that will suit you perfectly.

teardropmina
Its chump change buy it on principle Witcher 2 its highly rated and cheap now. Plus this guy makes some excellent points they deserve a bit of support hence why i parted with my money for a game i may not be able to play until i buy this new rig!
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
Quick question guys, I bought witcher and witcher 2 (since the first was only £1.73. Should i play the first or the second first? Is the first actually any good or will it just put me off the second?
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Quick question guys, I bought witcher and witcher 2 (since the first was only £1.73. Should i play the first or the second first? Is the first actually any good or will it just put me off the second?kraken2109

Second one uses a clear save from 1. 1's a cool game in some ways but it can be a dog to get through. Still, many people think it was an awesome RPG.

-Byshop

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Toxic-Seahorse
[QUOTE="kraken2109"]Quick question guys, I bought witcher and witcher 2 (since the first was only £1.73. Should i play the first or the second first? Is the first actually any good or will it just put me off the second?

The first game is great once you push past the prologue and Chapter 1 (which sucks). After that the game is fantastic. You won't miss anything by jumping right to the second game though (although a lot of references will fly right over your head).
ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts
Dark souls for sure
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#75 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts
[QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"][QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"] Are you a child of Doom? I am :)

Doom the game or some other doom? :P It's one of the first games I ever played on PC, no idea what the first would be, I remember playing a Tyrian like game on a black and white monitor at that time, some Lemmings, Wolfenstein 3D.

Doom and Duke Nukem 3D were my first forays into gaming. I didn't play Wolfenstein 3D but got to play RTCW when it came out in 2001.

Commodore 64 drew me into PC gaming. Followed by Wolfenstein 3D.
iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts
Both are great games, but you'll have to overlook some of the flaws Dark Souls has on the PC, whereas The Witcher 2, aside from a few interface issues, is perfect - and perhaps my favorite game this generation. I spent over 250h on Dark Souls, and you'll get around ~60h from the Witcher 2 if you play it thoroughly twice (two distinct paths to follow), but I still recommend The Witcher 2 for its quality in every sector of a game - story, gameplay, cinematics, audio, length, etc.
abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
Dark Souls has better gameplay while TW2 has better story elements.