This topic is locked from further discussion.

FleXxzoR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FleXxzoR
Member since 2009 • 50 Posts

Hi,

I have a question, probably a stupid one but ... :p

first things first. My friends and I play alot of games over hamachi, but we've encounterd some problems with it. now, my question is:

Is it possible to install windows server on our pc's, and play games over lan and share files with each other?

Thanks

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Sure you could install Windows Server but i don't see why you would. You can share files with one another and play games with one another on a standard Windows box.
Tim_Millington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 Tim_Millington
Member since 2007 • 1615 Posts

Why do your need windows server to do this? What do you think windows server will offer you that any consumer level OS wont?

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Yes you could but your standard OS will do just the same thing, just make sure you setup the IP addresses properly plus server OS is out of the box much more secured so you would need to go about opening it up where as your standard OS is already fairly well opened up and it's a simple case of plug and play. The only thing you COULD need to install server for is if you were planning on running a dedicated server for your games and wanted no host advantage but with a LAN host advantage is practically impossible to distinguish due to the much lower latency, so yeah all you need is enough plugs on your router to allow data to flow between each PC, no server required.
FleXxzoR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FleXxzoR

Ok so the best idea is to keep windows 7 installed, play lan through hamachi right?

Does anyone now a good solution to share files with friends? Like movies, music, etc. So they don't have to come with their external HDD to get some files. I thought it would be good to do this with windows server because then you have a "shared" hdd. Is there anything like that but on normal windows 7?

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

Yes you can create a Homegroup on Windows 7 which everyone can send and receive files to, i do it for my PS3 and works brilliantly.

Check this out

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 markop2003

Does anyone now a good solution to share files with friends? Like movies, music, etc. So they don't have to come with their external HDD to get some files. I thought it would be good to do this with windows server because then you have a "shared" hdd. Is there anything like that but on normal windows 7?

FleXxzoR
SMB shares and FTP servers can be setup on both server and consumer editions of windows. You only need Windows Server if you want to utilise active directory to manage shares.
FleXxzoR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FleXxzoR

Yes you can create a Homegroup on Windows 7 which everyone can send and receive files to, i do it for my PS3 and works brilliantly.

Check this out

JohnF111

Yes but a homegroup is only for your home adress isn't it? My friends live on another adress ofcourse :p

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 markop2003

[QUOTE="JohnF111"]

Check this out

FleXxzoR

Yes but a homegroup is only for your home adress isn't it? My friends live on another adress ofcourse :p

You could host an FTP server or sync them up with something like MS Mesh or Dropbox