Windows 8.1 and Gaming

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for beez_wax
#1 Posted by beez_wax (25 posts) -

I can find plenty of information comparing gaming on Windows 8.1 to Windows 7, but I currently have Windows 8 installed and I come up short when digging for answers related to the two closer cousins. My question is-- Is it worth it to finally give in to the annoying on-screen prompts to "Upgrade to Windows 8.1 for Free"? All of my games and everything run like a charm currently and I'm hesitant to mess with something that works, but I wanted some of your opinions and experience. Is there anything phenomenal about Windows 8.1 (gaming or otherwise) that would warrant me to make the jump? Also, I've heard about the mouse lag issue in 8.1, but is there anything else I should be worried about?

Avatar image for GTR12
#2 Posted by GTR12 (12719 posts) -

@beez_wax:

Its better than W8, theres nothing else to say.

Avatar image for madrocketeer
#3 Posted by madrocketeer (4959 posts) -

In my experience, it's mostly just all round UI improvements, everything else is the the same as 8.0. I haven't had any problems with games at all, though admittedly I only play old and low-spec games on my notebook.

UI improvements might sound minor, but between 8.1 and the Update on top of that, it has cut a lot of things which I found very annoying about 8.0. I'd say it's definitely worth the upgrade if you haven't done so already.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
#4 Posted by deactivated-579f651eab962 (5404 posts) -

8.1 is better in every way to 8, just do it.

Avatar image for GTR12
#5 Posted by GTR12 (12719 posts) -

@madrocketeer said:

In my experience, it's mostly just all round UI improvements, everything else is the the same as 8.0. I haven't had any problems with games at all, though admittedly I only play old and low-spec games on my notebook.

UI improvements might sound minor, but between 8.1 and the Update on top of that, it has cut a lot of things which I found very annoying about 8.0. I'd say it's definitely worth the upgrade if you haven't done so already.

Its not just UI improvements, memory management is better, and with games that's a lot.

Avatar image for steaminpotatoes
#6 Edited by SteaminPotatoes (191 posts) -

Had nothing but positive experiences with Windows 8.1 , just add in Classic Shell till 8.2 and or 9 arrives. http://www.classicshell.net/

8.2 Start Menu

Avatar image for AlexKidd5000
#7 Edited by AlexKidd5000 (2666 posts) -

Windows 7 is 5 years old. Time to move on. The only reals negatives I've heard about 8 are about the UI.

Though I use Linux myself.

Avatar image for osan0
#8 Edited by osan0 (14949 posts) -

8.1 is basically windows 8 service pack 1. a few tweaks, updates rolled up into 1 update etc etc. if you are using 8 there is no reson to avoid 8.1.

im using it myself and no issues. games work fine. system is stable etc etc.

Avatar image for KHAndAnime
#9 Edited by KHAndAnime (17565 posts) -

@AlexKidd5000 said:

Windows 7 is 5 years old. Time to move on. The only reals negatives I've heard about 8 are about the UI.

Though I use Linux myself.

Why do operating systems have to work like a subscription? If something isn't broke...

(Furthermore, why move on to an O.S. with less customization, less familiarity, and less to offer overall?)

Avatar image for Gooeykat
#10 Posted by Gooeykat (3411 posts) -

@beez_wax: I haven't had any issues with 8.1...go for it!

Avatar image for jun_aka_pekto
#11 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (22609 posts) -

My gaming laptop has the 8.1 upgrade. No problems with games. It starts up to the desktop and I haven't seen Metro in months.

Avatar image for AdamPA1006
#12 Posted by AdamPA1006 (6422 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto said:

My gaming laptop has the 8.1 upgrade. No problems with games. It starts up to the desktop and I haven't seen Metro in months.

Same here, get a start button app, have 8.1 everything runs great. Love 8.1 except for shit metro, but like you i never see it fortunately

Avatar image for Qixote
#13 Posted by Qixote (10843 posts) -

I don't understand why you are so hesitant to get the 8.1 update if you already have 8. Dude, it's basically just like a service pack update like previous generations of Windows always had. Your games will still run just as good and likely a little better.

Avatar image for beez_wax
#14 Edited by beez_wax (25 posts) -

Thanks for the input guys, I went ahead and updated to 8.1. Although I had a bit of a time tinkering with an uncooperative video driver, everything (as of now) seems to be running fine. I've only briefly tried a few games out, but they seem to be running alright as well, and that was my main concern.

Avatar image for jun_aka_pekto
#15 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (22609 posts) -

@AdamPA1006 said:

Same here, get a start button app, have 8.1 everything runs great. Love 8.1 except for shit metro, but like you i never see it fortunately

I can't remember where I found it. But, there is a folder that have shortcuts to all the applets that used to be in the Accessories folder of the Windows 7 Start Menu (example: Calculator).

I can still get shortcuts one by one from the System32 folder and rename them. But, that folder saves a lot of time. The Accessories folder is the only reason why I might want a Start Menu. Since I have the shortcuts in a toolbar, no need.

Everything I need is here. Laptop desktop:

Avatar image for FelipeInside
#16 Edited by FelipeInside (28498 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

Windows 7 is 5 years old. Time to move on. The only reals negatives I've heard about 8 are about the UI.

Though I use Linux myself.

If something isn't broke...

So you still use hardware for gaming that works from 10 years ago or have you upgraded them?

Why shouldn't an OS evolve with the hardware?

I know you'll answer with some random idea of yours to justify your point, and I'm not saying everyone should upgrade every time a new OS comes out, but I just don't understand why people separate upgrading hardware to upgrading software.

Avatar image for Xiaor
#17 Posted by Xiaor (1386 posts) -

Go Win 8.1. No regrets with gaming here.

Avatar image for thehig1
#18 Edited by thehig1 (6212 posts) -

I'm on Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, is it worth me upgrading to windows 8.1 ?

I'll be getting an SSD soon so I was going to install Windows 8.1 on that and wipe my old Sata to use as second hard drive.

Do you think that's a good idea ?

Avatar image for 04dcarraher
#19 Edited by 04dcarraher (22801 posts) -

@thehig1 said:

I'm on Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, is it worth me upgrading to windows 8.1 ?

I'll be getting an SSD soon so I was going to install Windows 8.1 on that and wipe my old Sata to use as second hard drive.

Do you think that's a good idea ?

Nope wait until DX 12 comes out next year 8 does not offer enough from 7 for the price they ask. its going to be on Windows 8.1 as an update and will be on 9.

Avatar image for thehig1
#20 Posted by thehig1 (6212 posts) -

@04dcarraher said:

@thehig1 said:

I'm on Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, is it worth me upgrading to windows 8.1 ?

I'll be getting an SSD soon so I was going to install Windows 8.1 on that and wipe my old Sata to use as second hard drive.

Do you think that's a good idea ?

Nope wait until DX 12 comes out next year 8 does not offer enough from 7 for the price they ask. its going to be on Windows 8.1 as an update and will be on 9.

will do, I'm happy with Windows 7 anyway its compatible with everything and I managed to change the start icon to my avatar :)

Avatar image for FelipeInside
#21 Posted by FelipeInside (28498 posts) -

@thehig1 said:

@04dcarraher said:

@thehig1 said:

I'm on Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, is it worth me upgrading to windows 8.1 ?

I'll be getting an SSD soon so I was going to install Windows 8.1 on that and wipe my old Sata to use as second hard drive.

Do you think that's a good idea ?

Nope wait until DX 12 comes out next year 8 does not offer enough from 7 for the price they ask. its going to be on Windows 8.1 as an update and will be on 9.

will do, I'm happy with Windows 7 anyway its compatible with everything and I managed to change the start icon to my avatar :)

If you can get Windows 8.1 for free or cheap, and since you need to do a reinstall cause of a new HDD then go for it.

If you're happy with Win7 or don't want to spend more money, then stay on 7.

Both are great operating systems.

Avatar image for chriscoolguy
#22 Posted by chriscoolguy (657 posts) -

I have Windows 7, but my friend is telling me he refuses to upgrade his PC because Windows 8.1 is so horrible. He said the interface is very ugly, everything is flat,, is it really that bad?

Avatar image for GTR12
#23 Posted by GTR12 (12719 posts) -

@chriscoolguy said:

I have Windows 7, but my friend is telling me he refuses to upgrade his PC because Windows 8.1 is so horrible. He said the interface is very ugly, everything is flat,, is it really that bad?

Your friend hasn't used W8 but he knows its horrible?

Your friend is an idiot.

Avatar image for madrocketeer
#24 Posted by madrocketeer (4959 posts) -
@chriscoolguy said:

I have Windows 7, but my friend is telling me he refuses to upgrade his PC because Windows 8.1 is so horrible. He said the interface is very ugly, everything is flat,, is it really that bad?

It takes some getting used to, and while there is still lingering clumsiness, it's a whole lot better than 8.0. And yes, there's also no aero or any interface effects, giving it a somewhat more minimalistic look.

I guess it's a matter of taste. I don't mind it myself, and I actually found the Start Screen to be overall more useful than the old Start Menu, even if it still lacks some features.

Avatar image for ferrari2001
#25 Posted by ferrari2001 (17762 posts) -

IMO, Windows 8.1 is the best OS Microsoft has ever released. It runs quick, and it's program and driver support is 2nd to none. Plus the full screen "metro" start menu is far more useful then the old style windows start menu. Plus the ability to search from desktop and minimize mobile apps makes it a full package.

Avatar image for zaku101
#26 Edited by zaku101 (4638 posts) -

I've used both Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 for a while now. I however went back to Windows 7 and it just feels faster and more responsive. There are also a lot of things they've done in the background that makes Windows 8 harder to use and hurts the advance users. I mean come on, you're not even the administrator of your own computer in Windows 8....