Windows 7 Will Be "Great For Games"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lgy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Lgy
Member since 2003 • 849 Posts
No more slowdowns, no more issues, faster than XP in the majority of games? That's the claim from Microsoft's Chris Lewis:
"Windows 7 will be great for games, undoubtedly," he said. "It's all good news - it's even more robust, it's quicker relatively, and the early testing cycles are proving very promising overall.

"I think it'll be nothing but good news for PC gamers, but we'll have more to say on that later on this year," he added.

"Ultimately we're a Windows and PC company at heart, and that's not going to change, and the development on both platforms will remain central and important. The business ebbs and flows, and there will be times when we do more on one platform than the other, but they do co-exist very nicely, and as a company we're in a pretty unique position that we have a strong legacy on PC."

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/44974/Windows-7-Will-Be-Great-For-Games

Papitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Papitar
Member since 2008 • 2377 Posts
I think someone once said that Vista would be great for games too....
GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts

Dude, you're level 64!!JabbaDaHutt30

I feel so INSIGNIFICANT! :)

I'm just now getting used to Vista, so I don't see getting Windows 7 anytime soon. But time will tell I guess how great it is for games.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
I hope it's much better than Vista.
Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts
I'm just using XP; I'm sure now I'll not install Vista, but this does't mean that I will use W7 in the future. I need no one of the features provided by Vista and probably I'll not need the 95% of the features provided by W7. I only will change If the performance in games is CONSISTENTLY better that in XP. If the framerrate is similar, my vote is NO. Only reason to change is if you need to use more than 3GB of RAM, but at 1680 x 1050 Crysis runs very well with 2 GB, so Vista/ W7 is superfluous to me at this time.
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#7 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts
that is fantastic news. i actually work at a private computer company, and we are still using xp; waiting for W7. and we get an outragous amout of buisiness as a result.
Helbrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Helbrec
Member since 2008 • 1325 Posts
Windows 7 = Windows XP + Aero, then?
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
I've heard from the early tests that Windows 7 is already a much more stable platform than Vista is in its current state.
Erandel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Erandel
Member since 2004 • 1164 Posts

Windows 7 is much more optimised than Vista by far, as I managed to try the Beta and it looks impressive even at this early stage.

My Pro advice (I'm a service engineer) is to wait until Windows 7 then upgrade if you are still on XP. If your on Vista (new computer or upgrade) then you may want to consider your options but I would still say its worth it comparitively speaking.

JabbaDaHutt30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JabbaDaHutt30
Member since 2009 • 370 Posts
The high level TC distracted me a bit. There's already a new version of Windows in the making?! When is it supposed to come out?
mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#12 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts
This is indeed good news just as long there's no **** being said during the time between now and Windows 7 release
Royas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 Royas
Member since 2002 • 1448 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it. I mean, I sure hope they aren't bs'ing us, but Microsoft isn't exactly known for their forthrightness and honesty in all of their business dealings. Hopefully, they have learned a lesson in how poorly Vista was received, and why. Of course, one would have thought they would have learned that lesson after the release of Windows ME, but corporations are by nature not very bright. It can take repeated demonstrations to teach them.
MrUnSavory1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MrUnSavory1
Member since 2005 • 777 Posts
I am currently running a dual boot system with both XP and Windows 7. So far I am very happy with Windows 7. Boots at the speed of light, All games installed so far run perfectly. The only problem I had was with my sound card. I have an SB X-Treme Audio card and the 5.1 surround would not work. They have since released a driver for it and is now running fine. I will say by no means does this mean EVERYTHING works. I have had some problem with my Anti Virus program but there is plenty of time before I need that working. If Windows 7 stays on the track it is on I will have no problem moving from XP to 7 with confidence it will run as well if not better then XP.
dinuattila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dinuattila
Member since 2005 • 1355 Posts
No more slowdowns, no more issues, faster than XP in the majority of games? That's the claim from Microsoft's Chris Lewis:
"Windows 7 will be great for games, undoubtedly," he said. "It's all good news - it's even more robust, it's quicker relatively, and the early testing cycles are proving very promising overall.

"I think it'll be nothing but good news for PC gamers, but we'll have more to say on that later on this year," he added.

"Ultimately we're a Windows and PC company at heart, and that's not going to change, and the development on both platforms will remain central and important. The business ebbs and flows, and there will be times when we do more on one platform than the other, but they do co-exist very nicely, and as a company we're in a pretty unique position that we have a strong legacy on PC."

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/44974/Windows-7-Will-Be-Great-For-Games

Lgy
Amen to that!Might aswell switch off XP to this one, if they will make it as stated above.
404-not-found

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 404-not-found
Member since 2009 • 1050 Posts
I've heard from the early tests that Windows 7 is already a much more stable platform than Vista is in its current state.Wasdie
Yep, I even use it as my main operating system.
thekodaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thekodaman
Member since 2006 • 1733 Posts
Is windows 7 64-bit?
Jamiemydearx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jamiemydearx3
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts
I am currently running a dual boot system with both XP and Windows 7. So far I am very happy with Windows 7. Boots at the speed of light, All games installed so far run perfectly. The only problem I had was with my sound card. I have an SB X-Treme Audio card and the 5.1 surround would not work. They have since released a driver for it and is now running fine. I will say by no means does this mean EVERYTHING works. I have had some problem with my Anti Virus program but there is plenty of time before I need that working. If Windows 7 stays on the track it is on I will have no problem moving from XP to 7 with confidence it will run as well if not better then XP.MrUnSavory1
Thats odd, Windows 7 works with my X-Fi Xtreme music. Although I had to download the Vista drivers off creative.com. And put it in compatibility mode, then it worked like a charm.
lucky326

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lucky326
Member since 2006 • 3799 Posts
Is windows 7 64-bit?thekodaman
...Yes why even ask such a question when XP and Vista before it were 64?.
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts
I find that very hard to believe. I'm sure they can work on the performance level of newer games, but what about compatibility? It's really tough to match or exceed Windows XP in that regard, as many games made for XP weren't patched and already do quirky things on Vista, and lots of games that were made before XP still run fine on XP.
Avatar image for justheretodl124
justheretodl124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 justheretodl124
Member since 2005 • 1255 Posts
I think someone once said that Vista would be great for games too....Papitar
And that turned out just grea- oh wait...
IMaBIOHAZARD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 IMaBIOHAZARD
Member since 2008 • 1464 Posts
well I'm at least hoping that it'll turn out better than Vista...
vitriolboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 vitriolboy
Member since 2005 • 4356 Posts
I have the Windows 7 beta and it uses less resources than Vista but still more than XP. So if I'm still using dx9 I don't see any point of upgrading, in gaming terms
mindbender244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mindbender244
Member since 2003 • 861 Posts

I've been using the 7 beta since release, and it has become my primary operating system. I had Vista 64bit for about a year and a half and I'm not going back.

In terms of gaming, 7 is much much better. I've Gained FPS switching to 7, with no changes in hardware. I'm running at 100% Max settings with X4 AA in TF2 now, whereas in vista I had no AA. I have the same performance, higher settings.

The U.I. is also much better, I love the new taskbar as well. I HATE icons (like to keep a clean desktop), and being able to "pin" my programs to the taskbar is great. To me, vista wasn't horrible, just not great. 7 is better than XP as well IMO.

Really the only issue I've had with it is installing certain drivers. This should be fixed when it is released. And these are very minor drivers (eg: fingerprint reader), every other really important driver, I was able to install.

If your computer is in need of a reformatting, try get your hands on the beta and install away!

tldr; From experience, 7 is awesome!

sarahandkev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sarahandkev
Member since 2009 • 49 Posts

will there be a 32 bit and 64 bit version of windows 7?

what will be the one everyone goes for, at the moment it looks like most people use 32 bit but it looks like more people are starting to use 64 bit, what about games that work on vista 32 bit, will they work on windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit?

thanks

mindbender244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mindbender244
Member since 2003 • 861 Posts

will there be a 32 bit and 64 bit version of windows 7?

what will be the one everyone goes for, at the moment it looks like most people use 32 bit but it looks like more people are starting to use 64 bit, what about games that work on vista 32 bit, will they work on windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit?

thanks

sarahandkev

Yes, there will be 32 and 64 bit versions.

32 is usually more popular because you need the right hardware to run 64bit. If you have the hardware for 64 bit, go for it. Theoretically it is faster.

Shadowhawk000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Shadowhawk000
Member since 2007 • 3453 Posts
Hopefully it will be a lot better then Vista.. as Vista is slow :(
Yanduan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Yanduan
Member since 2007 • 161 Posts

We need more proof rather than talking only

I hope it's not just like previous Vista that promised the greatness of DX10 before the launching as well

FREE USEFUL TIPS FOR PC & GAMES

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
i think i saw some benchmarks on pcgameshardware, and i think some games got 0.5 - 1.5 more FPS in windows7, but if memory serves right it was a difference of something like 123 fps in vista and 123.5 in windows 7 :P of all the reasons i can think of for buying windows7, gaming isn't one of them
sarahandkev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sarahandkev
Member since 2009 • 49 Posts

will i be able to install windows 7 over the top of vista? or will i have to do a clean install?

if i can install over the top of vista will i keep all my files?

how long should i wait to upgrade to 7? would it be a good or bad idea to upgrade as soon as it comes out?

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
Windows 7 = Windows XP + Aero, then?Helbrec
No, it's Windows Vista + a new name, some slightly different memory management and a new taskbar. Uses the exact same driver foundation as Vista, so it does the exact same things as Vista when it comes to being stable or not stable. Performs almost exactly the same as Vista in the games I've tried so far, especially in terms of which ones show improvement or steps back from XP. Most importantly though, it's not named Vista - as you can see in the thread, a lot of people hate Vista whether or not they're using it currently.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

[QUOTE="Helbrec"]Windows 7 = Windows XP + Aero, then?Makari
Most importantly though, it's not named Vista - as you can see in the thread, a lot of people hate Vista whether or not they're using it currently.

That's the key really, isn't it? Anybody remember the Mojave campaign? I just hope Vista users are going to get a free or near free upgrade.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts
I think someone once said that Vista would be great for games too....Papitar
i was about to say that. however for some reason im quietly optimistic about windows 7. vista never sat right with me (dying after the first couple fo weeks didnt help its case for me adopting it fully either :P). but i have a good feeling about windows 7 for some reason. i dont think i will upgrade to it on my existing rig but when i get my next one i will probably get 7 for it. after service pack 1 of course :D.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
I just hope the laptop VIsta users (like me) do not get screwed over. If we can't get an upgrade of any kind, at the very least I expect drivers to be continued to be released.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
I just hope the laptop VIsta users (like me) do not get screwed over. If we can't get an upgrade of any kind, at the very least I expect drivers to be continued to be released.the_ChEeSe_mAn2
They use the same driver foundation, so.. yeah, drivers are going to remain the same between the platforms. When drivers is what kicked their ass the hardest in Vista, they're probably not going to let that be changed significantly soon.
Mage_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 Mage_7
Member since 2007 • 1065 Posts
I have Vista but I use XP because I like XPs layout more than Vista and compatibility. Though I might just try out Windows 7.
MetalLink99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MetalLink99
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
I hope for the best for Windows 7. Having 3 Computers run on XP and 2 run on Vista, I know that games installed on XP runs better than the installed games on Vista. Hopefully Windows 7 does the same or better than XP and Vista.
_Sundodger_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 _Sundodger_
Member since 2008 • 65 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it.Royas
Uhh.. download the beta then.