Windows 7 Best Price?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MxAa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MxAa
Member since 2005 • 906 Posts

I'm looking for a copy of Windows 7 Home edition 64 bit OEM for less then 100 bucks. Anyone know a good site that does student discounts for windows 7 OEM? Please don't refer me to the windows site as that student discount is for the upgrade version.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

I'm looking for a copy of Windows 7 Home edition 64 bit OEM for less then 100 bucks. Anyone know a good site that does student discounts for windows 7 OEM? Please don't refer me to the windows site as that student discount is for the upgrade version.

MxAa

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/pd/productID.216644200/flyout.true

MxAa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MxAa

[QUOTE="MxAa"]

GummiRaccoon

...... Did you not read my last sentence? This is not the OEM version.

MxAa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MxAa

Update*** Question... I have windows xp installed on my hard drive. When I replace my motherboard and install windows 7, will I need the upgrade version or the OEM version? I've read sometimes previous operating system won't boot with new motherboard. So in short how do I know if I'll be installing on top of windows xp or from scratch?

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="MxAa"]

MxAa

...... Did you not read my last sentence? This is not the OEM version.

enjoy being an idiot

Eastdabest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Eastdabest
Member since 2006 • 652 Posts

Got this straight from the MS site

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

And on top of that its only $64 for students. Youre not restricted to just the OEM version.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

And on top of that its only $64 for students. Youre not restricted to just the OEM version.

Eastdabest

People here manage to transfer their rights from mobo with oem anyway even though stated otherwise.

opamando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 opamando
Member since 2007 • 1268 Posts

[QUOTE="Eastdabest"]

Bikouchu35

People here manage to transfer their rights from mobo with oem anyway even though stated otherwise.

Exactly. Those OEM rules are more for pre-builts(talking about being tied to motherboard). While legaly MS could impose those rules on retail purchased copied of Windows OEM, they do not. I have upgraded many times, and told MS that I had a new PC including motherboard. The only thing they cared about is how many PC it is installed on at once. Retail purchased OEM copies can be installed on as many PC's as you want as long as it is only installed on one at a time.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Uhm, dreamspark if you are in college. I got all teh os'z for free
mbrockway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mbrockway
Member since 2007 • 3560 Posts

[QUOTE="Eastdabest"]

Bikouchu35

OEM is not tied to a computer, its tied to the hardware you bought it with. Could be a stick of ram, a motherboard, or even a keyboard. Since you already have XP, you can buy the 7 update instead and use it to do a clean install. I bought Vista business before 7 came out to get the free upgrade to 7 professional.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Update*** Question... I have windows xp installed on my hard drive. When I replace my motherboard and install windows 7, will I need the upgrade version or the OEM version? I've read sometimes previous operating system won't boot with new motherboard. So in short how do I know if I'll be installing on top of windows xp or from scratch?

MxAa

1. Back up all your important files to external drives before doing the upgrade.

2. Upgrade the hardware and make sure they're physically installed correctly. Leave XP in the hard drive.

3. Insert Win 7 Upgrade into optical drive. Make sure the BIOS is set to boot the optical drive first.

4. The Win 7 Upgrade DVD will detect the old XP install and will start the process of its own installation.

To be honest, $99 for the full OEM Win 7 is good. See newegg.com.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jun_aka_pekto

Uhm, dreamspark if you are in college. I got all teh os'z for freeJigglyWiggly_
I thought that only applied to Server 2008 R2, not Win 7.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]Uhm, dreamspark if you are in college. I got all teh os'z for freejun_aka_pekto

I got windows 7 with dreamspark as well.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]Uhm, dreamspark if you are in college. I got all teh os'z for freeJigglyWiggly_

I got windows 7 with dreamspark as well.

I guess it's not offered where I am. But, I do have Server 2008 R2 in my home server (part of my lab this semester).

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JigglyWiggly_
I used win2k8r2 for a bit and i lol'd and never used it again. Maybe I am an elitist
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GummiRaccoon

I used win2k8r2 for a bit and i lol'd and never used it again. Maybe I am an elitistJigglyWiggly_

For what it is supposed to do it does it well. Linux is just better at different things.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]I used win2k8r2 for a bit and i lol'd and never used it again. Maybe I am an elitistGummiRaccoon

For what it is supposed to do it does it well. Linux is just better at different things.

You can do the same things in samba like active directory except it's like 50000x more complicated, so you are leet for doing it.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]I used win2k8r2 for a bit and i lol'd and never used it again. Maybe I am an elitistJigglyWiggly_

You can do the same things in samba like active directory except it's like 50000x more complicated, so you are leet for doing it.

Why spend so much time administering active directory in a linux environment when you can just use server 2k8r2 and then spend all of your time doing other things?

I've seen both implementations and doing AD in linux is clunky at best.

A real man uses multiple OSes for multiple purposes.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

Why spend so much time administering active directory in a linux environment when you can just use server 2k8r2 and then spend all of your time doing other things?

I've seen both implementations and doing AD in linux is clunky at best.

A real man uses multiple OSes for multiple purposes.

no a real man makes their life more complicated to show off their e-penis
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

OEM is not tied to a computer, its tied to the hardware you bought it with. Could be a stick of ram, a motherboard, or even a keyboard. Since you already have XP, you can buy the 7 update instead and use it to do a clean install. I bought Vista business before 7 came out to get the free upgrade to 7 professional.mbrockway

Tied to motherboard. MS was just being vague for w.e reason.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
[QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

[QUOTE="Eastdabest"]

mbrockway

OEM is not tied to a computer, its tied to the hardware you bought it with. Could be a stick of ram, a motherboard, or even a keyboard. Since you already have XP, you can buy the 7 update instead and use it to do a clean install. I bought Vista business before 7 came out to get the free upgrade to 7 professional.

I'm pretty sure that it's only tied to the mac address of the motherboard. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here