Windows 11 is underway and Windows 10 support set to end after 2021!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56079 Posts

Kinda surprised no one hasn't posted this yet regarding W10 is ending soon, but anyway, here's the details coming from TechPowerUp:

Microsoft has revealed the date when support for Windows 10 is going to end - effectively confirming that their original vision of Windows 10 being "the last Windows OS ever" is now dead. The information comes from Microsoft's own update to Windows 10's support life cycle page, which the company has amended with the final resting date set for October 14th 2025 for both Home and Pro versions of the operating system. Previously, the support life cycle page listed end of support dates for various release versions of Windows 10 - not the entire OS.

It still seems unlikely, but if its a free upgrade like with W10, I'll take it on all my PCs, because why not? Keep in mind that W10 support will be around for quite some time even if they do release a W11.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Looking forward to it, they are going the OSX route, slim and light. Hear there is no bloatware nor cortana.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#3  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

I don't get hyped for OS updates. My usage hasn't changed much since the Windows XP days. So, all the new features and shit will most likely never be used.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Hopefully free upgrade.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I hope that it doesn’t mess with compatibility that much. Either way, I’m in no rush.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 horgen  Moderator

@SOedipus said:

I hope that it doesn’t mess with compatibility that much. Either way, I’m in no rush.

I haven't had much issues in that regard. Games or other programs giving you issues?

Avatar image for deactivated-631373f44e9fd
deactivated-631373f44e9fd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-631373f44e9fd
Member since 2004 • 549 Posts

Other than a fresh look n such, not much of a reason to swap off 10 in a rush.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

@horgen said:
@SOedipus said:

I haven't had much issues in that regard. Games or other programs giving you issues?

Oh not in years. Windows 10 has been pretty good in my experience. I had compatibility issues with games when going from XP to Vista, and from Vista to 8.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

I've had pretty good experiences with Win 10, t he only bad ones being when they add new features and don't really tell you and then use those new features so you're like "WTF is going on right now?".

If what I've read about them "slimming it down" is true, I welcome it. I really don't need a lot of UI stuff; just an OS that does what I tell it to do.

@SOedipus said:
@horgen said:
@SOedipus said:

Oh not in years. Windows 10 has been pretty good in my experience. I had compatibility issues with games when going from XP to Vista, and from Vista to 8.

Oh god.....Vista....I thin--....I think I'm going to---

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

@JimB said:
@davillain- said:

Kinda surprised no one hasn't posted this yet regarding W10 is ending soon, but anyway, here's the details coming from TechPowerUp:

Microsoft has revealed the date when support for Windows 10 is going to end - effectively confirming that their original vision of Windows 10 being "the last Windows OS ever" is now dead. The information comes from Microsoft's own update to Windows 10's support life cycle page, which the company has amended with the final resting date set for October 14th 2025 for both Home and Pro versions of the operating system. Previously, the support life cycle page listed end of support dates for various release versions of Windows 10 - not the entire OS.

It still seems unlikely, but if its a free upgrade like with W10, I'll take it on all my PCs, because why not? Keep in mind that W10 support will be around for quite some time even if they do release a W11.

I read some where that windows 11 will not support older CPU's. If so how old are we talking about.

Just found the topic. I guess we will have to wait to see if what is being posted is true or not.

Avatar image for deactivated-631373f44e9fd
deactivated-631373f44e9fd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-631373f44e9fd
Member since 2004 • 549 Posts

Can't remember the last time i ever got official microsoft support.

Also I hope comet lake isnt considered "old" :P

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#14 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3639 Posts

I was able to upgrade my Inspiron 3880 to Windows 11. I have a Dell Inspiron laptop that I definitely need to upgrade the RAM to 8GB but it was to download Windows 11. I surprised my old laptop from 2015 was able to run Windows 11.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 horgen  Moderator

They are strict on what they support. Ryzen 3rd gen is the oldest among Ryzen it seems.. Except for perhaps threadripper 29XX.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@horgen:

Win 11 supports 1st Gen Ryzen and 6th and 7th Gen Core processors, but requires a fresh install of windows. It will still update and work just fine. But you cant just upgrade from current 10 to 11 upgrade with them.

Anything older MS does not guarantee driver compatibility and system reliability...

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 horgen  Moderator

@04dcarraher said:

@horgen:

Win 11 supports 1st Gen Ryzen and 6th and 7th Gen Core processors, but requires a fresh install of windows. It will still update and work just fine. But you cant just upgrade from current 10 to 11 upgrade with them.

Anything older MS does not guarantee driver compatibility and system reliability...

Ah. I will probably do a fresh install. Still think my c drive is MBR and GTP or whatever the names are again.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

They say W11 will load games faster... you need NVME SSD for that. That's basically the only thing worth upgrading for. I'd rather game on Linux if all games were supported there but it's more like 80% of Steam games.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56079 Posts

@gerygo said:

They say W11 will load games faster... you need NVME SSD for that. That's basically the only thing worth upgrading for. I'd rather game on Linux if all games were supported there but it's more like 80% of Steam games.

I have 2 1TB of NVME 2.0 and 2 500GB regular SSD. I might have to move my files into NVME just to test how well it runs with W11. I guess you could say I'm excited about W11.

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts

I will run W11 when it's time for me to upgrade, my current desktop doesn't meet the requirements. Honestly, GUI changes concern me the least, it's under the hood changes that I'm most excited about, but more than anything, I like that MS is actually taking a HARD stance on changes. They've always caved to pressure to keep legacy features and compatibility and all they end up doing is lagging the competition in support for modern features. They also end up extending the life of their past OS's far past the period they should stay supported which has contributed greatly to botnets and poor security.

Jemcrystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jemcrystal
Member since 2008 • 31 Posts

I can't afford a new processor it's to expensive. That is what Win11 requires says my pc is not up to grade.