Windows 10 messed things up for me. What about you?

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By funkyzoom
Member since 2005 • 1534 Posts

I was pretty excited when I got a notification on my gaming PC, that Windows 10 is now available for me. But I was in for a rude shock after the upgrade.

My onboard sound card drivers refused to work with Windows 10 (so there was no sound). I couldn't really blame Windows 10 for it, because Gigabyte (which is probably the worst manufacturer of motherboards) has failed to provide an updated driver since 2012 for it.

The performance of my PC was the more severe issue. It slowed down to a crawl. Took ages to boot up, and was quite sluggish during normal usage as well. Tried updating drivers and stuff, but the OS stubbornly remained slow. I had to eventually roll back to Windows 8.1, and now I have gotten back my well oiled, blazing fast gaming rig.

I just hope this is an initial hiccup (since the OS is pretty new), and Microsoft eventually patch the issues.

So how has been your experience with Windows 10? I suppose almost everyone else is doing better than me with it, because I hardly come across anyone complaining about the new OS.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

Pretty smooth. Had a few bugs and some minor slowdowns when i upgraded but i decided to do a clean install and so far i would say its smoother than win7 ( start up times are slightly faster same goes for loading times in games )

The only think that causes me troubles in few games is the build in gameDVR but once i disabled it everything is smooth ( few bugs aside in a couple of programs like Chrome and google earth )

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 funkyzoom

@adamosmaki

What do you mean by 'GameDVR'?

I suppose I needed to do a clean install too, but I didn't want to go through the hassle of setting up everything the way it was, after the clean install.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

On my gaming PC:

No driver issues aside from the built-in graphics driver for my 4Gb GTX 770. The Witcher 3 was a slideshow. Downloading and installing the latest one from Nvidia's Web site fixed that.

The original Windows Fax and Scan wouldn't work at first. But, the HP print and scan utility worked okay. The next time I tried Windows Fax and Scan, it worked fine. The problems were fixed within minutes.

-----

My netbook:

The original Toshiba web cam software wouldn't work. But, Windows 10 has its own which worked fine. I'm using the netbook to run the Contacam surveillance software which works fine with Windows 10. Now that the netbook has a proper Windows OS, I'll take it with me to the mall and use it to surf the Web and watch videos while the wife shops.

-----

My ASUS RoG G46VW:

No issues.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@funkyzoom said:

@adamosmaki

What do you mean by 'GameDVR'?

I suppose I needed to do a clean install too, but I didn't want to go through the hassle of setting up everything the way it was, after the clean install.

There is an xbox app on windows 10 that has a build in gaveDVR function that let you record your gameplay if you want and i found it to cause a bit of a trouble so it might worth disabling it

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

I notice some unusual bugs when playing the first mass effect and something about dynamic audio, but nothing too serious yet. All windows os release were in a somewhat buggy state?

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

no problems

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#8 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I upgraded to a SSD and Windows 10 at the same time (did a clean install) and its been mostly smooth sailing. I had an issue with installing Nvidia's drivers initially but I managed to get around it. I don't have strong feelings about the OS, its much better than 8 though.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

I also had problems like you with my realtek audio. Also boot times were slower than W7 and also was somehow sluggish. But I finally managed to fix my audio problem. Also Windows somehow fixed boot times by itself and now it's a few seconds faster than my W7 install and is no longer sluggish. I also had problems with whatever was the current version of Firefox at that time and the AMD driver that crippled Firefox's tabs. The new version of Firefox seems to have fixed the issue. The only other problem is with Windows 10 itself and some of it's functions like always on Windows Update and some other kinks I don't really like. But I have found ways around some of them or simply just ignore them.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 funkyzoom

@glez13 said:

I also had problems like you with my realtek audio. Also boot times were slower than W7 and also was somehow sluggish. But I finally managed to fix my audio problem. Also Windows somehow fixed boot times by itself and now it's a few seconds faster than my W7 install and is no longer sluggish. I also had problems with whatever was the current version of Firefox at that time and the AMD driver that crippled Firefox's tabs. The new version of Firefox seems to have fixed the issue. The only other problem is with Windows 10 itself and some of it's functions like always on Windows Update and some other kinks I don't really like. But I have found ways around some of them or simply just ignore them.

Could you please let me know how you fixed the audio issue?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

nothing bad happened, it's like my pc never changed

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

I've got problems driver but with the pre-release. Now I did not try it to install it on my computer with the final version.

I got a computer that moved from Windows 8 to 10 and despite drivers problem I never got any problem almost for a year of use.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts

As I have to systems that I want to update, I am waiting with one, and will go ahead with the other one once the update is available on it.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

I did a clean install on my SSD and it has worked really well.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#15 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

My laptop has issues going to and waking up from sleep.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

Running perfect for me. Apparently it has pretty annoying issues with G-Sync and SLI though. I'm not baller enough to have either of things.. :P

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@funkyzoom said:

I was pretty excited when I got a notification on my gaming PC, that Windows 10 is now available for me. But I was in for a rude shock after the upgrade.

My onboard sound card drivers refused to work with Windows 10 (so there was no sound). I couldn't really blame Windows 10 for it, because Gigabyte (which is probably the worst manufacturer of motherboards) has failed to provide an updated driver since 2012 for it.

The performance of my PC was the more severe issue. It slowed down to a crawl. Took ages to boot up, and was quite sluggish during normal usage as well. Tried updating drivers and stuff, but the OS stubbornly remained slow. I had to eventually roll back to Windows 8.1, and now I have gotten back my well oiled, blazing fast gaming rig.

I just hope this is an initial hiccup (since the OS is pretty new), and Microsoft eventually patch the issues.

So how has been your experience with Windows 10? I suppose almost everyone else is doing better than me with it, because I hardly come across anyone complaining about the new OS.

My PC actually works faster now than 8.1, and that's pretty amazing since this is the 3th upgrade on it. (went from 7 to 8, 8 to 8.1, 8.1 to 10)

I suggest doing a clean install (format) on your PC.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

My soundcard wasn't working (Xonar DG), but I fixed that in no time.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#19 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Only having issues with my soundcard and a few programs being unstable when outputting files (Keyshot, Maxwell Render)

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

I'm having a problem using snap with alt + tab or using my logitech g profiler hotkey.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 funkyzoom

A lot of people seem to be having issues with their sound in Windows 10.

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TrooperManaic
Member since 2004 • 3863 Posts

I did a clean install and now it feels as if I was useing windows 7. 10 is a winner in my book so far.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

I am loving it, no problems here.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

I've loved my experience so far (pretty much best features of 7/8 in a pretty package).

The only "glitch" was one of my 970s wasn't showing hdmi out as an option for sound (I run it to a receiver). Nvidias new drivers were out though, so I uninstalled and did a fresh install with those. Fixed the issue.

I really like it so far. However, playing Xbone games on my swift rog really, really shows what crap hardware is in that Xbone.

Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#26 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts

At the very beginning W10 was slow for me too, but like the other guy in this thread it became faster the more restarts etc. i made. I guess it was still downloading and installing updates. I also had Audio Problems with my external card, i fixed it by setting 44.1khz cd quality for now, (asus xonar dx, they dont seem to support win 10...)

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

I had no issues until my headset wouldn't work. Had to download an audio driver which Via Tech have apparently not made one for Windows 10 yet. The driver fixed the issue but now I have set the headphones to default device if I want to use them. It doesn't do it automatically.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

No issues... and I'm also using a Gigabyte board... which is far from the "bad". not sure why 2012 drivers wouldn't work... did you remove the olds ones and start from scratch?

usually clean reformats are best for windows installations...

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#29  Edited By elessarGObonzo
Member since 2008 • 2677 Posts

only "issue" i could claim is that i had a pretty awesome setup for my games in the Metro Screen with OblyTile. now it's impossible on Windows 10. besides that i have nothing but nothing but improvement in fps and 3DMark scores

there's been tons of people on answers.microsoft.com, tom's hardware, and everywhere claiming they're having audio problems. and guess what? almost every single one of them had to update to Windows 10 drivers for their motherboards, soundcards, etc and problems were solved. genius, huh? so many of them loving to hate something new and better and then finding out it's their own lack of intelligence causing the problem. -not implying that is any of your problems, of course.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Mine has worked fine on my older X201T Thinkpad. Had an issue with the sound driver at first, but managed to sort it through simply reinstalling it. It no longer auto-detects my laptop going into tablet mode... probably the most frustrating drop in functionality.

Performance is fine. Overall, I upgraded from Win 7 Pro and I feel like I'm basically using a redesigned Win 7 Pro :-P Had I paid for it, I wouldn't feel like it was worth it. But since it was free, I'm happy.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By horgen  Moderator

So my Win7 laptop isn't getting a Win10 update note anymore... Guess I'll DL it on my own then.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FelipeInside

So everything was fine for a few weeks after the upgrade, but now none of my Metro Apps work.

They come up with "App can't open: contact your administrator to reinstall", but this computer isn't on the domain and I'm the only user?

Also, the STORE doesn't even open (opens and closes)

Any ideas?

Alucard1475

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 Alucard1475
Member since 2004 • 564 Posts

After upgrading, clean-installing, and even removing all that spy/crapware with some Russian-made hack-tool, it's running absolutely brilliant.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FelipeInside

@Alucard1475 said:

and even removing all that spy/crapware with some Russian-made hack-tool

What spy crapware are you talking about?

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

I bought a cheap 50 dollar windows 8.1 tablet and put windows 10 on it right away. Everything runs great. At first the Xbox app didn't work but after some updates it does and I was even able to stream my Xbox one to it.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

First bug I had since install today. I turned pc on this morning and it said scanning and fixing C. Which it did in 2 seconds. I then did sfc/scannow in cmd and it found corrupted files but it fixed them. Been fine since but not tried games yet.

Alucard1475

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Alucard1475

@FelipeInside said:
@Alucard1475 said:

https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+10+spying&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/14/comparison-of-windows-10-privacy-tools/

It's all tech-stuff, but apparently W10 is filled with tons of legit malware that spies on you, sends all your personal data to Microsoft and their friends and tracks everything you do and say.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

@Alucard1475 said:
@FelipeInside said:
@Alucard1475 said:

It's all tech-stuff, but apparently W10 is filled with tons of legit malware that spies on you, sends all your personal data to Microsoft and their friends and tracks everything you do and say.

I'm an alien.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FelipeInside

@Alucard1475 said:
@FelipeInside said:
@Alucard1475 said:

You need to take off that Tin Foil hat mate.

The data collection can be turned off during install or in settings. It's not spying on you, it just sends data back to customize Cortana etc for your tastes, location.

Alucard1475

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Alucard1475

@FelipeInside said:
@Alucard1475 said:
@FelipeInside said:
@Alucard1475 said:

The data collection can be turned off during install or in settings. It's not spying on you, it just sends data back to customize Cortana etc for your tastes, location.

Tin Foil? How about doing some research before opening that big mouth of yours?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FelipeInside

@Alucard1475 said:
@FelipeInside said:
@Alucard1475 said:
@FelipeInside said:
@Alucard1475 said:

Tin Foil? How about doing some research before opening that big mouth of yours?

I've done heaps of research. I work in IT and it's my job to. Trust me, it's not as bad as you think it is. (and you can turn it all off if you want)

Avatar image for deactivated-5938196c2bbcb
deactivated-5938196c2bbcb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5938196c2bbcb
Member since 2013 • 344 Posts

It runs without hiccups so far. Ok, Sonic Generations for some reason refused to work for me but one reinstal later and it's working fine as always.

L0ngshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#43 L0ngshot
Member since 2014 • 516 Posts

Anyone know how to completely turn off the notifications? It's the most annoying thing when I play CS!

I got notification and it screws up the mouse sensitivity for 1 - 3 sec. So frustrated.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FelipeInside

@l0ngshot said:

Anyone know how to completely turn off the notifications? It's the most annoying thing when I play CS!

I got notification and it screws up the mouse sensitivity for 1 - 3 sec. So frustrated.

Turn on Quiet Hours?

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45  Edited By Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

So far the 2 major things I noticed are... Youtube video's switch from HTML5 player to Flash randomly during video's. And high DPC latency that seems to be an OS issue.

Feels snappy, more stable, boots in 6 seconds rather then 16 and it's not to bad after you change things.

However I don't like the new window look. Having everything flow into a box just floating... looks to chaotic to me. I like a defined look.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

I had to do a system refresh, but other than that, I have no problems (that I'm aware of).

Avatar image for deactivated-5f768591970d3
deactivated-5f768591970d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5f768591970d3
Member since 2004 • 1255 Posts

My Gaming Desktop upgrade to windows 10 has gone flawlessly. I love it.

My Gaming Laptop: Terribly. Windows 10 has rendered the keyboard useless. After a second fresh install the video card is having major issues and the keyboard doesnt work. My laptop is useless at this point. I will have to work on it more soon...luckily I rarely use that computer.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FelipeInside

UPDATE: my upgrade from 8.1 was working fine but then things stopped working.

I did a full RESET (format) and Win10 now works flawlessly.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#49  Edited By kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Windows 10 has been flawless so far for me. Tried 32 games so far and they all work.

I went from windows 7 to 10.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By horgen  Moderator

Upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 and haven't had any issues so far. Haven't tested it so much though.

Now I have an issue. My second monitor is blank...