Will WoW disturb my studies?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Beymaster1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Beymaster1
Member since 2004 • 503 Posts
Will it? I've been craving for wow for about 2 weeks now since my friend started playing and telling me all about it. I'm now in yr 10 and i was wondering if it will disturb my studies. For all of you wow gamers out there i need info whether to keep away from this game or play it. I've played many MMO's and I'm sort of a casual gamer but will wow disturb my studies?
SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14823 Posts

if you like it then yes, i personally haven't played it for this reason, but i lost so many people to that game. i only hear from them if the servers are down. and unless you can get your parents to pay for it, it will be eating up the money you have (assuming you have a job, allowance, w.e)

SLandeRR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 SLandeRR
Member since 2007 • 301 Posts
It depends. For me, Year 10 was a very easy year, with not a lot of work to do, and I could very easily fit in other things. But WoW is a game where many people get sucked in and sometimes it takes over their lives. I'm sure many people play this game on a casual basis without it disrupting your life, but as you are about to go into the most important two years of your school life, will you be able to give it up if you need to in a year or two. If you can, then there is no problem.
xcryonicx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 xcryonicx
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts
If you lack self control then yes, lol, it will. 10th grade is easy as pie though.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
I guess... yes.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
only one way to find out.............
A-S_FM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 A-S_FM
Member since 2004 • 2208 Posts

but will wow disturb my studies?Beymaster1

only if you play it when you should be studying - if you have any vague sense of willpower or control over your own actions, you have no need to be concerned

the people who play all day and it ruins their lives and stuff, that only happens because they:

a) are idiots

b) want it to happen

c) have nothing to lose anyway

you can trust me, i'm a random guy on a forum so i, clearly, know just what i'm talking about - if you don't fall into the above categories, you'll be fine

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58489 Posts

Year 10?  As in high school (14-18 years old roughly)?  Anything less than college and I wouldnt worry about it.

As a college student, I will definately admit that WoW has taken priority sometimes over school work.  Thats ok though, I get my work done anyway I just dont sleep as well as I should a couple days a week.

DeliriumGlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DeliriumGlo
Member since 2006 • 938 Posts
My roommate my freshman year of College bought the game. One saturday I loaded it onto my Mac to see what the big deal was all about. I played it from 8:00am to 12:00am. I did not get up from the futon except to take a piss a couple of times. I did not eat anything that day and I did not drink anything that day. I woke up early sunday morning to play some more. I thought about the previous day and I dumped the file in the trash and deleted it. I picked up my copy of Warcraft III (something you need to own if you don't) and stomped those idiots who think massing is a good idea. Stay away from this game. If you like RPG's buy a Playstation and play Final Fantasy or any game with an end. Do not fork out your hard earned cash on a computerized scavenger hunt.
Also High School is a piece of cake through an through: date girls, go hiking, read books, play some video games, and please please realize sooner rather then later what your good at, enjoy, and realize that High School dosn't matter in the least. 
electric_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 electric_blaze
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Getting suitable to high-end anything (whether for gear, money, or some other aspects of the game) takes ridiculous amounts of hours and commitment to achieve. Unless you're not too ambitious in the game, you'd be fine. But it's hard not wanting to have more.
veveqa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 veveqa
Member since 2007 • 51 Posts

The only reasonable answer is that it is highly likely.

It's not really a matter of willpower, either. It's a matter of how flexible your schedule is. If you always do homework from 6pm to 8pm or whatever, and you stick to that, and always have stuck to that, you'll be fine. If, on the other hand, you do homework "when it needs doing", and are quite flexible about when you do this or that, you're in trouble, because WoW attempts to expand to fill up all available time. The whole game is specifically designed to fill up all your available time. It's worse if you're good at it, too, because then it can expand even further. Even when you're not playing, it will distract you with thoughts of playing, of optimising your character, and so on.

The worst thing, though, the real death of your studies is RAIDING.

If you get to "endgame" and become a "raider", I guarantee you will screw up your GPA/GCSEs/whatever. Why? Because raiding always takes place on someone else's schedule, and that person is almost certainly a 20 or 30-something nerd who has nothing to do of an evening, so will happily schedule raids to occur after he gets home from work, which is almost certainly when you'd normally be doing studying, homework etc.

Raiders are always provided with incentives to participate in raids, typically through "DKP" (Dragon Kill Points) system (which you can look up online), and if you don't turn up, you're going to get behind, be deprioritised for a raiding slot, and end up with shoddier gear, and generally will find yourself quite frustrated. If you do turn up, you'll find advertised "2hr" raids frequently turning into 3-5 hour journeys of pain and suffering, and it's likely that you'll be required to help "farm" the consumables (potions etc.) used up in the raid.

Being in a family and having dinner/supper at a fixed time might help with this, because you can only tell your mum "I'm busy!" so many times before she comes up and drags you away (if she's any kind of decent mother at all), but if your family doesn't eat a fixed time, or eats separately, then you're even more at risk.

Basically, you're taking a risk. Your risk is lower than university, because you still have a schedule, you're still required to hand in work regularly and so on.

Anyone telling you there is no risk, or that it requires "vague willpower" is the MMORPG equivalent of a pedo trying to lure you into their car with promises of sweets.

Beymaster1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Beymaster1
I guess it really is a risk to play, but you guys are saying that high school is a piece of cake im doing an IB course by the way(http://www.ibo.org/) . So i guess I'll give it a try for a month, thanks for your opinions, anymore?
hoket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hoket
Member since 2005 • 232 Posts
i just typed something really long in, hit submit and got an error! and i dont want to type it out again because its nearly 2:30 AM. so here is the short version the game will only take you over if you let it. as a WoW player of one and a half years, an ex raiding guild leader, and currently in a new raiding guild, the game can become extremely addicting, but only if you let it. set limits for yourself. if a 2 hour raid does turn into a 5 hour raid for some random reason, then just tell them that you did not plan on having to stay this long, and that you have things to do. chances are, if you are in a raiding guild, there will be several other people in the same situation (older players with lives, not young 12 year olds with nothing to do), and they will be mature about it and understand. there are plenty of WoW players who are currently in the same boat as you. they are in school, have a steady job to attend, or have a family to look out for.
GumbieuK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GumbieuK
Member since 2005 • 581 Posts
It can be a time eater, unless you have good self control and manage your playing time correctly. You can log on in the morning and next thing you know it's evening.
Mezzanne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Mezzanne
Member since 2007 • 54 Posts

Like they say, it's self-control.

Personally I didn't have a problem with it - when I needed to study, I switched it off and studied.  So long as you can do that, you'll be OK. However, it's clear how someone can really be sucked into this game, and it could happen to you... I know it may be cliché to say, but if people lack a social life then there's no hope. so go out with your friends and take time off it too. 

But only one way to find out , right? It's not a bad idea... try it out - but if you see your studies really start to get neglected - stop paying for it. I stopped, not because  it was getting in the way of my studies, but because I no longer had time for it... I have class every day, usually till 5pm and I still do 12 hours of martial arts training per week, plus I like to go out and such... other games are no problem, but there is one constant with WoW - it really does need a lot of time.

Superlegtesta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Superlegtesta
Member since 2003 • 389 Posts

[QUOTE="Beymaster1"] but will wow disturb my studies?A-S_FM

only if you play it when you should be studying - if you have any vague sense of willpower or control over your own actions, you have no need to be concerned

the people who play all day and it ruins their lives and stuff, that only happens because they:

a) are idiots

b) want it to happen

c) have nothing to lose anyway

you can trust me, i'm a random guy on a forum so i, clearly, know just what i'm talking about - if you don't fall into the above categories, you'll be fine

Yeah, sad but true. One of my friends flunked his university year because of gaming. Honestly it's up to you to develop the right behaviours. And at your age, it's also up to your mom and dad to make sure you do...
Smudge_Smill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Smudge_Smill
Member since 2005 • 238 Posts

Is Steve Buscemi funny-looking? If you know who he is, then you will agree the answer is "Yes"

In the same way, if you don't hate the game, then the answer to your question is "Yes".

There are very few people who play WoW 'occasionally'.  You either play it all day every day (exaggeration, obviously), or you don't play it at all. 

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#18 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Go son you're a gamer! Don't worry about study! Drop the books and get into that dungeon! What are you waiting for you fiend! Forget about your future! You've got magic swords to collect and goblins to kill!
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#19 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
You will not be able fo function if WoW is active on your computer...stay away less your grades suffer...there is no refutable argument. WoW is a disease....albeit a curable one :)
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

You will not be able fo function if WoW is active on your computer...stay away less your grades suffer...there is no refutable argument. WoW is a disease....albeit a curable one :)Staryoshi87

So say the weak.

WoW will only take over your study time if you let it. 

BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts
It's just too time consuming with all the grind. Find yourself another game, one that is funny to play too.
Creative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Creative
Member since 2002 • 2522 Posts
Yes it will. WoW is a demanding game. You're saying you have friend playing, soon you will join the guild and will have to raid at some specific time. You will find yourself raiding instead of going to movies with friends on regular night. I'd stay away from it, even though the addiction lasts only 1-3 months (depending on how fast you level.) But then you just realize how boring the game is and that you lost several months of your life getting that Tier 2 set (which means nothing in real life).
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

It's just too time consuming with all the grind. Find yourself another game, one that is funny to play too.BounceDK

yea, i second this suggestion. it's not about self control, mate....every game has a possibility of ruining your studies, as is any hobby ( except studying, of coz ). but WoW isn't a worthwhile experience, especially when compared to the amount of grinding needed in this and any mmorpg out there.

put it this way, mate. if you spend those times practicing dribbling, chances are you would be able to play in NCAA when you go to college :D

MyndFlyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MyndFlyte
Member since 2005 • 1103 Posts
Just go ahead a play it. But learn to limit your playing time to a certain amount or after you are done studying. It's called time management.
MDDichard07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#25 MDDichard07
Member since 2006 • 284 Posts
if you act your age and have self control then if definately shouldn't. Im a senior in high school and i play, but i dont let it interfere with schoolwork (no matter how much I want it to). Its definately addicting but with even the slightest bit of maturity you'll be fine.
supersonic130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 supersonic130
Member since 2005 • 272 Posts

If you don't join the bandwagon and start playing WoW then you would miss out on the game of your life! Think of the fun you would have, paying ONLY £/$10 a month so you can show those monsters whos boss - you can click on them. Im not kidding, you can actually click on your enemies (there aren't many people in real life that can say that!) and you automatically start hacking on their necks, wouldn't that be sweet?

So what are you waiting for? Why are you wasting your time in this thead when you could be having the of your life in a completely different world; the world of warcraft! 

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

If you don't join the bandwagon and start playing WoW then you would miss out on the game of your life! Think of the fun you would have, paying ONLY £/$10 a month so you can show those monsters whos boss - you can click on them. Im not kidding, you can actually click on your enemies (there aren't many people in real life that can say that!) and you automatically start hacking on their necks, wouldn't that be sweet?

So what are you waiting for? Why are you wasting your time in this thead when you could be having the of your life in a completely different world; the world of warcraft! 

supersonic130

lol....sounds like a good deal to me. :D

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#28 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts

[QUOTE="Staryoshi87"]You will not be able fo function if WoW is active on your computer...stay away less your grades suffer...there is no refutable argument. WoW is a disease....albeit a curable one :)Johnny_Rock

So say the weak.

WoW will only take over your study time if you let it. 

It's a fact, unless you're going to play it VERY casually. Just look at how long many of the raids take. The only options to attaining a high level and doing all the cool stuff are to play it for long periods of time frequently, or stretch it out over a very long period of time. A "couple hours a day" is a LONG time to dedicate to a game that has very few real rewarding aspects, and if you allow it to (which you will) it will have at least some negative effect.
Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#29 Cerza
Member since 2005 • 1946 Posts
Will it disturb your studies? I dunno. How studious are you? If you take it casually and only play a couple hours a day, like most WOW players do, then you will be fine.  Download the trial if you haven't done so already and check it out. You may find that you don't like the game at all.
fatMasterFlex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 fatMasterFlex
Member since 2007 • 129 Posts
if u let it to ahhhhh the horror
fatMasterFlex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 fatMasterFlex
Member since 2007 • 129 Posts
if u let it to ahhhhh the horror
EndersAres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 EndersAres
Member since 2005 • 5711 Posts
No. I played WoW for two years and it did not bother my studies one bit, and I played for 5+ hours a day. It's about responsibility. If you have problems with that then you shouldn't be playing any games at all.
helljumper0st

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 helljumper0st
Member since 2007 • 148 Posts
I destoroyed me and if thats all you want to talk about then fine. Also keep mind that you will have no social life, skip meals, skip work, and other stuff just to play it it happened to me and alot of other people but otherwise its a great game.
justin01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 justin01
Member since 2004 • 857 Posts
If you have trouble with setting limits for yourself like I do then I would not suggest playing WoW. I would tell myself I'll do one more quest, or one more raid, THEN I'll do my homework or study. But the time flies by so fast, I had to drop all my classes except for one my first semester of college because I let this game come first. Don't f*** yourself like I did and play this game in small doses, so you don't get yourself addicted just incase you happen to like it
hecklemonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hecklemonkey
Member since 2007 • 279 Posts
It's not like you're in university... during the semester, I don't touch WoW because I just don't have the time, but that's university, not high school...
lol_waffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 lol_waffles
Member since 2006 • 1826 Posts
WoW will eat your life if you don't have any self control. If you're really WORRIED about it eating your life, then I'd suggest not playing it.
Beymaster1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Beymaster1
Thanks for all the replies! But I guess its true that I'll be missing out on one of the best games of all time if I don't play it:( I'll giv e it a go once the term break starts but if my grades do decrease well I guess I have to let it go
AlexRadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AlexRadu
Member since 2006 • 89 Posts
let's just hope you will be able to let it go ;).. it creates massive addiction
chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#39 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts
Just go ahead a play it. But learn to limit your playing time to a certain amount or after you are done studying. It's called time management. MyndFlyte
My thoughts exactly.
PlayedThemAll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 PlayedThemAll
Member since 2006 • 665 Posts
Don't play. IT is easy to like in the beging but ultimately all MMORPGS lead to disappointment and interference with real life.