Will Windows 7 64Bit Slow my gaming down

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hlhmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hlhmark
Member since 2004 • 368 Posts

just got a quick question as to wether the 64bit version of windows 7 will hog my memory so i dont have enough for games, like i do currently on windows xp

my specs are

Intel Q9550@3.8GHz

4GB Ballistix Ram

2x BFG 260GTX OCX SLI'D

any comments would be appreciated and helpfull ^_^

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
what? XP is hogging your 4gb of RAM? I've never heard of that. Are you SURE it's XP and not some background process for something else installed?
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 zomglolcats
At any rate, I run Win 7 64 bit with no troubles for gaming. If nothing else, a 64 bit OS will let you throw all 4 gigs of your RAM at your games.
hlhmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hlhmark

ah sorry im not too well at the moment xD i ment will it take more memory off me to run windows 7 64bit and leave me with less for my games, or be better than windows xp currently is as it can only see 3gb of ram rather than all 4gb

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
Your computer will run like a champ on Windows 7 64. I have almost the exact setup except with a q6600, 2gb Ram, and a single 260GTX and I max pretty much every game out there @ 1680X1050. Windows 7 is also just a much better OS...I did the full XP -> Vista -> Win 7 upgrade dance, and personally I could never go back to the prior versions. I still use XP at work though, which is a drag :P
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 zomglolcats

ah sorry im not too well at the moment xD i ment will it take more memory off me to run windows 7 64bit and leave me with less for my games, or be better than windows xp currently is as it can only see 3gb of ram rather than all 4gb

hlhmark
Ooooh okay. Yes Win 7 64 bit will see all 4 gigs of your RAM. I'm assuming you have XP 32 bit.
hlhmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hlhmark

yeah its the 32bit professional at the min, but with it bein faded out just want to make sure i can still enjoy my games and stuff =), but glad to hear you can run it on a Q6600 with 2GB and a single 260gtx thats good news, cant wait now =Dw

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#8 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

For me it didnt slow things down one bit.

I had XP.. then got vista... hated it and went back to XP. Now I have Windows7 and its fantastic, reminds me of XP a bit. The switch from XP to W7 was painless (:

Avatar image for deactivated-60f7582dcaa79
deactivated-60f7582dcaa79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-60f7582dcaa79
Member since 2004 • 510 Posts

Im not gonna bother reading the replies but this will be the main difference.

In ANY 32bit operating system, much like the XP version you are running, NO application can address more then 2GB of RAM at any time. You have 4GB. Meaning no games you run will ever, ever, ever utilize the $60 or so worth of extra 2gb of memory you have. You also have 2 SLI'd mid-high range graphics cards. Without looking at the specs on those cards, I'm assuming they are both 512mb memory. All of the ram on your computer (From RAM sticks to GPU RAM to motherboard cache) is tallied into the 32bit restriction of 4gb total. If you right click "my computer" you're computer probably only reads that you have 2.5-3gb of ram in spite of the fact that you actually have 4gb of physical memory.

What all of this means is that you've fallen for the common phalacy that XP is the second coming of christ and is way better then any other OS. When in fact, you're not even utilizing half of you're hardware efficently. By upgrading the Win 7 64bit, you're applications will be able to address ALL of you're RAM, and you will be able to utilize DX10 with those GFX cards (Not that that is anything special lol). If you're afraid to upgrade to Win 7, do it anyways. There is a 64bit version of XP. Don't bother with this. You will regret it later if you do. XP will lose M$'s support soon and you will be boned owning a NEW version of an OLD OS thats not supported.

Win 7 works great. Anyone trying to tell you otherwise is probably a console fanboy, or should be one. Just my two bits.

Good luck.

chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#10 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts
I thought it was way better than any OS.
gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#11 gbrading
Member since 2005 • 8085 Posts

Operating system discussion is best suited for PC Hardware Discussion. :) Many thanks.