will this do for Battlefield 3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by shyco (613 posts) -

I was wondering if my current specs would do for battlefield 3

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Geforce 8800Gt 512

6 Gb ram

It ran crysis 2 ok, but I couldn't keep the core temp. Even with 100% fan speed.

Im not going for maxed out levelof detail and res, but playable.

Thanks for the feedback :)=

#2 Posted by C_Rule (9816 posts) -
Without an OC on that Q6600, you may have a bit of lag. With an 8800GT, you'll probably be at low-medium settings.
#3 Posted by GTR12 (12952 posts) -

Its gonna struggle if that quad isn't overclocked. Take it up to 3.2-3.4Ghz and a new GPU and your fine, I hope, or I need to upgrade aswell.

#4 Posted by shyco (613 posts) -

Any "fool-proof" guide on overclocking the Q6600?, ive overclocked before but that was waaaay back

#5 Posted by GTR12 (12952 posts) -

Any "fool-proof" guide on overclocking the Q6600?, ive overclocked before but that was waaaay back

shyco

Not really, just read-up, if you have the G0 stepping, then you have the CPU as me, just leave the multiplier at 9x and raise bus speed to 360, mine is at 380, but 360 should give you a starting point. And lets just say, my case has the worst airflow ever. Just get a aftermarket cooler.

#7 Posted by gmaster456 (7568 posts) -

[QUOTE="shyco"]

GTR12

Not really, just read-up, if you have the G0 stepping, then you have the CPU as me, just leave the multiplier at 9x and raise bus speed to 360, mine is at 380, but 360 should give you a starting point. And lets just say, my case has the worst airflow ever. Just get a aftermarket cooler.

Theres the tape MOD too.
#8 Posted by shyco (613 posts) -

any good software to monitor cpu temp, currently using open hardware monitor, its okay, but just tells me the basic and wont let me control any fans.

Also the cooler is aftermarket so I believe I should be okay :)

#9 Posted by middle-earth88 (1262 posts) -

Your GPU is lacking. You also need to overclock the CPU to get playable preformance.

#10 Posted by Janus67 (316 posts) -

shyco

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515316

Should give you more than enough info on how to OC your quad.

#11 Posted by DeX2010 (3989 posts) -
I do think that its time for a upgrade if you want to run at Medium/High settings with a consistent frame rate, you can do 2 things: 1) Get a new PC 2) Overclock the hell out of that Q6600 and get a new GPU - It doesn't have to be a overly expensive or powerful one, a GTX 560/460, or a 6950 Unlocked to 6970 speeds.
#12 Posted by ionusX (25760 posts) -

we have no system requirements so speculation is everywhere.. im doubting that you can play it without a new gpu and overclocking your cpu at the minimum beyond low. this being said even those ammendments could still see us all being wrong.. for all we know the recommended is going to be a core i5 quad core neahelm / phenom II x4 + hd 6950 1gb and 4gb ram or somethin cooky like that .. ad dont you ever say never

#13 Posted by shyco (613 posts) -

running at 3,2GhZ and not getting too hot with load either 57C at max so I might go even higher. I realise my GPU is certainly the bottleneck of my rigg... so I will look into the prices of those you suggested:)

#14 Posted by GTR12 (12952 posts) -

running at 3,2GhZ and not getting too hot with load either 57C at max so I might go even higher. I realise my GPU is certainly the bottleneck of my rigg... so I will look into the prices of those you suggested:)

shyco

After about 3.4 or 3.5, you won't see much of a increase. Just a heads-up.

#15 Posted by middle-earth88 (1262 posts) -

we have no system requirements so speculation is everywhere.. im doubting that you can play it without a new gpu and overclocking your cpu at the minimum beyond low. this being said even those ammendments could still see us all being wrong.. for all we know the recommended is going to be a core i5 quad core neahelm / phenom II x4 + hd 6950 1gb and 4gb ram or somethin cooky like that .. ad dont you ever say never

ionusX

I wouldn't doubt it to be honest. The game looks beastly. It will probably have the latest technology under the hood. It would most likely be more demanding than Bad Company 2 which already recommends 2GB of RAM and a quad core processor.

#16 Posted by ionusX (25760 posts) -

rumor has it DICE ordered a fore i7 neahelms at launch and has been testing their games on them ever since

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
#17 Posted by Tezcatlipoca666 (7241 posts) -

I doubt that his quad will have that much difficulty with BF3. As long as you have a quad-core you should be fine. That PC looks fine except for the video card. That should be replaced.

#18 Posted by gmaster456 (7568 posts) -
Hope my rig can handle it with a new GPU, I have a crap MOBO so overclocking my CPU is out, although I doubt I'd get much overclocking done on my 1st gen phenom anyway. We'll have to wait and see what the requirements are.
#19 Posted by gumeh (235 posts) -
in recommended setting based on your hardware, still can run. but maybe u will got a little noisy..^_^