Will Skyrim require Steam to play?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DragonGraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DragonGraham
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Just wondering if skyrim will need you to have steam to play. Thanks. Graham.
Dennislol123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Dennislol123
Member since 2010 • 184 Posts

Only if you buy it on Steam obviously. :)

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19604 Posts

Only if you buy it on Steam obviously. :)

Dennislol123

Actually no, all copies of the game will require Steam to run, according to their official Twitter account: http://twitter.com/#!/ElderScrolls/status/103844894413557760

JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts

Your link doesn't prove your statement. By clicking upon the link you provided, the following quote "We can confirm today that we're using Steamworks for Skyrim." is obtained. This does not mean that Skyrim requires Steam to operate. Logical syntax error.

Cataclism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cataclism
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts

Your link doesn't prove your statement. By clicking upon the link you provided, the following quote "We can confirm today that we're using Steamworks for Skyrim." is obtained. This does not mean that Skyrim requires Steam to operate. Logical syntax error.

JKnaperek

It kind of does.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
You tried too hard and you were lost in your words. Steamworks game = game requires Steam to run and play.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Planeforger

*edit*

Best not to overcomplicate everything. I'll just stick to "Yes, almost certainly".

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Skyrim will definitely have achievements for any copy, since it's not a GFWL title, them saying it uses Steaworks and the lack of a system for achievements is a guaranteed "any kind of copy you can get your hands on will be tied to Steam".
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
Skyrim is a Steamworks game, effectively guaranteeing that it requires Steam.
RosieMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 RosieMafia
Member since 2011 • 29 Posts

Maybe I'm just being stupid, but:

Isn't the fact it's a "steamworks game" just mean it will be available on Steam? I own a copy of Oblivion, not bought on Steam, but Steam still recognizes it and I can play it with Steam overlay, but I have to have the disk in the drive to start it up, so isn't it the same thing?

Again, I'm not positive and this is just a thought.

NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#11 NoAssKicker47
Member since 2004 • 2855 Posts

Isn't the fact it's a "steamworks game" just mean it will be available on Steam? I own a copy of Oblivion, not bought on Steam, but Steam still recognizes it and I can play it with Steam overlay, but I have to have the disk in the drive to start it up, so isn't it the same thing?

RosieMafia
No, there are many games that are available on Steam but are not Steamworks games. Steamworks games allow you the special community tools of Steam, achievements and the likes, and they all tie to your Steam account.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
[QUOTE="RosieMafia"]

NoAssKicker47
No, there are many games that are available on Steam but are not Steamworks games. Steamworks games allow you the special community tools of Steam, achievements and the likes, and they all tie to your Steam account.

Also, there are some games on Steam that use Steamworks for the community tools, but they don't use Steamworks if you buy it elsewhere.
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

JKnaperek

Actually, a Steamworks title MUST use Steam regardless of where it's bought. For example, Brink and Metro 2033 had retail copies, but were Steamworks games, meaning you HAD to use Steam. Other games, such as Call of Duty, Deus Ex, etc, are also available on Steam, but only the copies bought from Steam require Steam to play.

*If* Skyrim does not require Steam, then the person making the statement was incorrect by saying it was a Steamworks title - however I'm pretty sure it is, and thus, does require Steam.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
You must have steam on to play it, however you can play it while Steam is set in offline mode upon which it won't be connected to the internet.
toddx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 toddx77
Member since 2008 • 3395 Posts

Actually, a Steamworks title MUST use Steam regardless of where it's bought. For example, Brink and Metro 2033 had retail copies, but were Steamworks games, meaning you HAD to use Steam. Other games, such as Call of Duty, Deus Ex, etc, are also available on Steam, but only the copies bought from Steam require Steam to play.

DigitalExile

I bought black ops retail and it requires steam to play.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Planeforger

[QUOTE="DigitalExile"]

toddx77

I bought black ops retail and it requires steam to play.

I'm pretty sure Deus Ex also uses Steamworks, and can't run outside of Steam. Poor choice of examples, but you have a point. :P

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

It's a steamworks game. This is where you don't think out of the box and over complicate things.

aa

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
steamworks title = you MUST use to steam to play. Surprised so many people are confused about this.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
As others have already said, if a game uses Steamworks, you must run Steam in order to play it. It also applies to retail-bought games. For example I bought MW2 from Amazon back then and it used Steam in addition to the game content on disks to install.